• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Astro game being VR-exclusive would be a tone-deaf move

Now you might be thinking this is an anti-VR thread, and while I'm no huge fan of it, no it's not.

A lot of people are very excited about what Team Asobi is working on next, and the potential of it being another installment in the Astro franchise. Along with that always comes lots of talk about VR -- Astro's first game was a PSVR1 exclusive and widely considered one of the best games on that platform. A VR exclusive sequel would be a logical follow-up.

I think this would be a very tone-deaf move on Sony's part -- with Astro's Playroom, the excellent non-VR 3D platformer that ships with every PS5, they have created a whole legion of new Astro fans with one common trait: they are children.

Why does this matter? Simple: it is not recommended for any child under the age of 12 to play VR, particularly for any extended amounts of time, due to developmental issues with their eyes. This recommendation is contained within PSVR2's health and safety manual as well. I have three children under the age of 12 myself, and all three are huge fans of Astro's Playroom. They've seen videos of Rescue Mission on Youtube and are always a bit annoyed they can't actually play it. A VR exclusive Astro sequel at this point would make them heartbroken.

Sony, and really no company, should be making VR software that targets children. It's tone-deaf and one could even argue irresponsible when they recommend it themselves that children not use the hardware.

Yeah, that’s certainly a valid perspective. I love all things VR and the original astro bot and would love to see them expand on that, but I must admit the style is tailored to children and there is a contradiction there. I don’t think they could make the game both flat and VR with how they actually use the medium, so that’s a tough nut to crack.

Also: To be fair, I don’t they are meant to explicitly be kids games, they are more of a nostalgic platformer throwback for adults that grew up with all the game references alluded to in the astrobot games, but can’t deny the appeal to children.

Last edited:
Now you might be thinking this is an anti-VR thread, and while I'm no huge fan of it, no it's not.

A lot of people are very excited about what Team Asobi is working on next, and the potential of it being another installment in the Astro franchise. Along with that always comes lots of talk about VR -- Astro's first game was a PSVR1 exclusive and widely considered one of the best games on that platform. A VR exclusive sequel would be a logical follow-up.

I think this would be a very tone-deaf move on Sony's part -- with Astro's Playroom, the excellent non-VR 3D platformer that ships with every PS5, they have created a whole legion of new Astro fans with one common trait: they are children.

Why does this matter? Simple: it is not recommended for any child under the age of 12 to play VR, particularly for any extended amounts of time, due to developmental issues with their eyes. This recommendation is contained within PSVR2's health and safety manual as well. I have three children under the age of 12 myself, and all three are huge fans of Astro's Playroom. They've seen videos of Rescue Mission on Youtube and are always a bit annoyed they can't actually play it. A VR exclusive Astro sequel at this point would make them heartbroken.

Sony, and really no company, should be making VR software that targets children. It's tone-deaf and one could even argue irresponsible when they recommend it themselves that children not use the hardware.
I agree. Sony should make Astro games (or others) targeted for everyone on PS5 and not only PSVR2. They would actually compete with Nintendo games. There are not enough games for children (as good as Astro or Mario / zelda) on consoles.

Markio128

Being in VR is what made Astrobot Rescue Mission so special. Unfortunately, you wouldn’t know unless you played it. You had to physically dodge things by moving your head out of the way, at the same time as controlling Astrobot. I just don’t know how it could work as a hybrid kind of game.

XXL

mister rogers middle finger GIF

RagnarokIV

I dislike the modern PlayStation portfolio of games - EXCEPT Astro Bot. The first game was one of the best things I've ever played, and Astro's Playroom was absolutely perfect and just oustanding 10/10.

The thing is they don't target children, that's your mistake. Astrobot 2 VR will be the best thing happening to PSVR2. What's you want it see them expand the universe to pancake world, that's it.

It is aimed as an appealing game for children and families though, same as a Mario game -- it's not explicitly aimed at very young children only like a Paw Patrol game or whatever else. If Nintendo put out a Mario game on a device not recommended to be played by kids under 12, people would think that's a bit crazy, right?

Crayon

Little kids play VR all the time. Who cares about what it says on the box.

They can also drive cars and sell chiclets to tourists. Give them a little credit.

Yoboman

I agree

Astro deserves a full AAA budget with a big marketing push. There's a ton of potential for the franchise to go much bigger

Limiting it to VR is inherently limiting it's sales

Olimbox

Neo Member
I always thoght Astro could be like Mario is for Nintendo. Just keep making games with it, vr and not. racer, platform, shooter, puzzle and people will love it

Ar¢tos

The way to boost hardware sales is to make amazing games exclusive to it. The moment Astro Bot becomes playable with VR being optional it will drastically reduce the potential sales of psvr2 it could generate.
If Sony wants to increase the psvr2 install base they need to make it exclusive to psvr2.

Screw that, op. I want it to be VR exclusive.

Rescue Mission would have been an average game on console, but it was amazing in VR. That's because it was made especially for VR.

VR needs more games specifically made for it, not games with a VR mode slapped on, or worse, a meaningless VR experience.

kevm3

People have largely voted that they don't want VR like that.

Sony and these other companies need to stop trying to force it on us.

Putting optional VR support in the game? Cool.

Making it mandatory? You've just tanked your team's game.

Last edited:

jm89

Astro bot VR was a massive highlight on the psvr when i played it, i think they really need it for psvr2 to add some exclusives.

But yeah i really hope they have a non vr version, astro bot feels like it can be bigger then it currently is.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think you misunderstand why Sony makes Astro games. Astro Bot is not a franchise. They use the little guy in elaborate demo games to help gamers understand how their systems work as well as demonstrate to developers what is possible on the hardware. There would be no point in making another Astro game unless it was to demo features of PSVR2 or other new hardware.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don’t disagree but Astro 2 would be Sony’s best shot at driving near term PSVR2 adoption.

That said, I am also hoping they release a non-PSVR2 version given that a larger audience needs to experience the greatness that is AstroBot.

That's gonna create a bit of a problem, because the better a new Astrobot uses VR for innovative gameplay, the harder it will be to make that game work on a 2D TV screen. And a new Astrobot VR game will have to be a showcase for PSVR2, otherwise the whole system is dead.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think this would be a very tone-deaf move on Sony's part
To consider that if a company does something that you don't like is tone-deaf says more about your ego than about them.

Your personal opinion is nothing between the personal opinion of hundreds of millions of players. And unlike you, they have a shit ton of accurate market data and info that tells them what works and what doesn't here and there and if this or that genre is underutilized or saturated in this or that platform, etc.

kevm3

Sony needs to sell VR2 units, so it should be exclusive to PSVR2.

Not many people will pay the price of a ps5 just for Astrobot and a handful of other vr exclusives. If they release this as a VR exclusive, then they are pretty much throwing this series in the trash.

Zuckerberg already dumped billions of dollars chasing the VR dream. Seems like Sony wants to do the same. Most people simply do not want to put a big headset on for their gaming experience, especially one they have to pay more than the price of the console for.

If their only purpose for Astrobot is as some kind of tech demo, just make some short demo that can be downloaded for free, but if they are making this game as a VR exclusive, they might as well shutter the team, because they won't be profitable and are locking out the majority of gamers from playing their game.

It must suck to work at a team that gets to be thrown as a sacrificial lamb on the altar of VR

Crayon

Not many people will pay the price of a ps5 just for Astrobot and a handful of other vr exclusives. If they release this as a VR exclusive, then they are pretty much throwing this series in the trash.

Zuckerberg already dumped billions of dollars chasing the VR dream. Seems like Sony wants to do the same. Most people simply do not want to put a big headset on for their gaming experience, especially one they have to pay more than the price of the console for.

If their only purpose for Astrobot is as some kind of tech demo, just make some short demo that can be downloaded for free, but if they are making this game as a VR exclusive, they might as well shutter the team, because they won't be profitable and are locking out the majority of gamers from playing their game.

It must suck to work at a team that gets to be thrown as a sacrificial lamb on the altar of VR

I hope you aren't also complaining about psvr2 not having enough quality exclusive games.

damidu

they are masterfully using it as hw showcase with each iteration,
playroom - dualsense, rescue mission - psvr
next game will be psvr2 showcase as it should be.

Wonko_C

I would like for them to make it a hybrid game but without compromising the VR experience. Of course the flatscreen mode would have those VR mechanics stripped out, then release trailers showing players what they are missing out by limiting themselves to TV.

Make them realize VR just plays better.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think the game should be a PS5 game with PS VR2 support.

Yup this is the way. They have proven that they are clever enough to be able to offer a fully fledged astro game that has psvr 2 support.

I think they'll nail it and I can't wait to see what they have cooking up.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Astro is Sony’s way of promoting their new technology. It’ll be a VR game.
Thinking about it logically in that context: a new Astro game will accompany a new ps5 model (slim or pro) and will also support psvr2. Thus they will have a single game promoting two new technologies.

Luigi Mario

But how exactly would you know this? Is it really just because of your children enjoying Astro's Playroom?

mrmustard

Banned
They need both. A Rescue Mission 2 to finally make PSVR2 worth it and a huge non VR game with some serious marketing. I also think they missed the chance to make them their new mascots. With Astro's Playroom for free, Astro bots should have been on every PS5 package.

Top Bottom