• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A lot of games just aren't future proof...

levyjl1988

Banned
With the latest news of Battleborn shutting down.

It got me thinking, these games will not last forever, in any form to revisit.
So many games are spread way too thin.

A game even on a physical disc doesn't mean that it will be playable, they are just a way of the console verifying if you own the license.
Games are digital too the point that it isn't complete on the disc anymore.

"There is the base game (on the disc) + Patches v.1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, etc + DLC (Big expansions or small downloadable content and bonuses) + Connecting to some publishing server like EA servers, or uPlay + Online servers etc."

If one thing is shut down it removes content forever. You will never be able to access that content ever again.
Games are spread way too thin. Remember back in the Gamecube era where when you bought a game, that's what it was, fully complete. Play tested to hell and refined.
Now we get games that are incomplete and rushed and patched out later abominations. With promises for adding more content, but because of the broken state players never want to return, it left an awful first impression.

Games like Gravity Rush 2 shutting down their servers.

What was lost:
  • Treasure hunts, challenges, leaderboards and picture ratings.
  • Furniture for Kat's Pipe (also makes a trophy a lot harder to get).
  • Outfits for Kat
  • A bunch of talismans, including one that gave you an infinite gravity gauge.
And there was no final update to make it available offline it was removed.

I was also reminded of The Saboteur which was connected to EA's online service.
What was lost:
  • Midnight Club Single-Player Paid for DLC
I also think about more games connected to some sort of publisher server like Dragon Age: Origins, where you can access more bonus content.
Bioware Social Network was removed entirely and the ability to get those extra bonus DLC goodies.
What was lost:

Dragon Age: Origins
Memory Band, Feral Wolf Charm, Guildmaster's Belt, Band of Fire, Dalish Promise Ring, The Edge, Embri's Many Pockets, Helm of the Deep, The Lucky Stone, The Lion's Paw, Mark of Vigilance, Amulet of the War Magel The Wicked Oath

Dragon Age 2
Staff of Parthalan, Pendant of the Morning Frost, Arlathan Focusing Crystal, The High Lords' Belt, The Antivan Garrote, Band of Stolen Shadows, The Deep Green, Hawke Family Crest, Ring of Whispers, Air of Confidence, Amulet of Ashes, Boots of the Frozen Wastes, Fadeshear, Lion of Orlais, Dura's Blue Flame, Evra's Might, Evra's Trophy Belt, The Far Cliffs of Kirkwall, Hindsight, Hayder's Razor, Ivo Family Crest, Lothering's Lament, The Irons. Of Things Not Lost

A bunch of Halo games servers is being removed and attached to it are spartan customization and statistics.

Also, Xbox used to have a website, https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-360/store/view-download-history
which they removed it had a Quality of Life way of selecting from a filtered list to download content onto your Xbox 360 console directly. Now you are forced to painfully scroll through a list on your console and search for the content to your game that is not filtered, mind you.

Playstation also did this when you couldn't make purchases of PSP, PS Vita, and PS3 games through the Sony Playstation Network store anymore.

All this inconvenience to push players to the next-gen console, but at the same time losing out on a bit of the history, nostalgia that we grew up with and want to revisit in the future.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Video game preservation is important after all.
Video games are often licensed with expiry dates, DLC becomes impossible to purchase eg) Forza cars being discontinued,
Retail Store exclusive preorder bonuses don't become available anymore, even for purchase,
Servers being cropped out, cutting content that was interconnected with it initially, to begin with now removed.
Game publishers are just killing their products and their IP by spreading their game way too thin, so much interconnection, destroy one and the game is losing limbs and the content attached to it.

Video games just mean it is the end of a product, now a service, a service that can and will eventually shut down and remove your content, even take away stuff from a single player.
Video game preservation is more important than ever.

Imagine when UPlay gets shut down, all that bonus content for your Assassin's Creed game just vanishes.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Don’t spend cash on GaaS
Treat it like junkfood.
Get it cheap have some fun then drop it.

also don’t be a lemming treat all dlc mtx added shit like worthless garbage then you won’t miss it when it’s done.

esp from devs like UBI that launch 12 different versions all doing their best to make the base version look like shit

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Thanks for the reminder we will never see another game like Saboteur. Think if this was done like the recent Wolfenstein, not the woke version, the good ones.

I would also add you are kind of wrong. Some of my favorites in the last 10 years can easily be plugged in today and no doubt can be enjoyed 10 years from now. The Witness which is my GOTG will easily move forward with no updates needed. Its as close to perfection in art and gaming i have ever experienced.

Last edited:
Don’t spend cash on GaaS
Treat it like junkfood.
Get it cheap have some fun then drop it.
WTF read the damned OP my dude.

Nothing to do with Gaas gaming, and in fact, about single player games which are connected to servers that impact the game itself once said servers are shut down.

On Topic: I'm legit sad for Gravity Rush 2 servers being shut down, but mostly because haven't finished the damned game yet and man, it seems like i'll be missing a lot of unlockables now.

Moogle11

Banned
It’s definitely an issue for game preservation.

It’s not something I care about personally as there are very few games I ever want to replay, we aren’t having kids so I don’t have the desire of many parents to pass on my games and share them with my off spring etc. I treat gaming (and other media consumption hobbies) disposably anyway so it’s moot for me. But I get the concerns for people who do collect and regularly replay things or those who care about preserving games for future generations.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I just went on the PSVita Store, it's quite dead already. Then, couple months ago, I plugged my PS3 for fun. Again the store is dead, but also very laggy. It's a mess.

There's not only digital content going away, physical accessories also becoming more difficult to get. Just as an example, I went to buy a DS4 controller for my new PS4 and these already feel like they're becoming more and more out of stock. There's little to no long term support anymore. Your WiiU Pad is broken? Good luck getting one in good shape, console is obsolete without it. Recently I dug up my old PSP 3000 from the closet, quess what, the battery was good for the trash.

All this to say that it's difficult to preserve electronic in good shape for multiple years. And to come back to digital content, well , it's even more difficult. Services go down, stuff being removed.

It's the way it goes unfortunately.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
WTF read the damned OP my dude.

Nothing to do with Gaas gaming, and in fact, about single player games which are connected to servers that impact the game itself once said servers are shut down.

On Topic: I'm legit sad for Gravity Rush 2 servers being shut down, but mostly because haven't finished the damned game yet and man, it seems like i'll be missing a lot of unlockables now.
I played destiny 1 and 2 as sp games.
same for anthem or FO 76 or any damn MMO.

Isnt that the same thing. At least not all is lost when a sp game dies.

just treat all the dlc and mtx online shit as extra fluff that is not canon

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
With the latest news of Battleborn shutting down.

It got me thinking, these games will not last forever, in any form to revisit.
So many games are spread way too thin.

A game even on a physical disc doesn't mean that it will be playable, they are just a way of the console verifying if you own the license.
Games are digital too the point that it isn't complete on the disc anymore.

"There is the base game (on the disc) + Patches v.1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, etc + DLC (Big expansions or small downloadable content and bonuses) + Connecting to some publishing server like EA servers, or uPlay + Online servers etc."

If one thing is shut down it removes content forever. You will never be able to access that content ever again.
Games are spread way too thin. Remember back in the Gamecube era where when you bought a game, that's what it was, fully complete. Play tested to hell and refined.
Now we get games that are incomplete and rushed and patched out later abominations. With promises for adding more content, but because of the broken state players never want to return, it left an awful first impression.

Games like Gravity Rush 2 shutting down their servers.

What was lost:
  • Treasure hunts, challenges, leaderboards and picture ratings.
  • Furniture for Kat's Pipe (also makes a trophy a lot harder to get).
  • Outfits for Kat
  • A bunch of talismans, including one that gave you an infinite gravity gauge.
And there was no final update to make it available offline it was removed.

I was also reminded of The Saboteur which was connected to EA's online service.
What was lost:
  • Midnight Club Single-Player Paid for DLC
I also think about more games connected to some sort of publisher server like Dragon Age: Origins, where you can access more bonus content.
Bioware Social Network was removed entirely and the ability to get those extra bonus DLC goodies.
What was lost:

Dragon Age: Origins
Memory Band, Feral Wolf Charm, Guildmaster's Belt, Band of Fire, Dalish Promise Ring, The Edge, Embri's Many Pockets, Helm of the Deep, The Lucky Stone, The Lion's Paw, Mark of Vigilance, Amulet of the War Magel The Wicked Oath

Dragon Age 2
Staff of Parthalan, Pendant of the Morning Frost, Arlathan Focusing Crystal, The High Lords' Belt, The Antivan Garrote, Band of Stolen Shadows, The Deep Green, Hawke Family Crest, Ring of Whispers, Air of Confidence, Amulet of Ashes, Boots of the Frozen Wastes, Fadeshear, Lion of Orlais, Dura's Blue Flame, Evra's Might, Evra's Trophy Belt, The Far Cliffs of Kirkwall, Hindsight, Hayder's Razor, Ivo Family Crest, Lothering's Lament, The Irons. Of Things Not Lost

A bunch of Halo games servers is being removed and attached to it are spartan customization and statistics.

Also, Xbox used to have a website, https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-360/store/view-download-history
which they removed it had a Quality of Life way of selecting from a filtered list to download content onto your Xbox 360 console directly. Now you are forced to painfully scroll through a list on your console and search for the content to your game that is not filtered, mind you.

Playstation also did this when you couldn't make purchases of PSP, PS Vita, and PS3 games through the Sony Playstation Network store anymore.

All this inconvenience to push players to the next-gen console, but at the same time losing out on a bit of the history, nostalgia that we grew up with and want to revisit in the future.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Video game preservation is important after all.
Video games are often licensed with expiry dates, DLC becomes impossible to purchase eg) Forza cars being discontinued,
Retail Store exclusive preorder bonuses don't become available anymore, even for purchase,
Servers being cropped out, cutting content that was interconnected with it initially, to begin with now removed.
Game publishers are just killing their products and their IP by spreading their game way too thin, so much interconnection, destroy one and the game is losing limbs and the content attached to it.

Video games just mean it is the end of a product, now a service, a service that can and will eventually shut down and remove your content, even take away stuff from a single player.
Video game preservation is more important than ever.

Imagine when UPlay gets shut down, all that bonus content for your Assassin's Creed game just vanishes.

It's a different question for each problem

Top Bottom