• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at the current franchises owned by Sony, Nintendo and Xbox

ethomaz

Banned
Some random IP Sony owns that they could bring back:

Dark Cloud
Cool Boarders
DriveClub
The Order
Until Dawn
Arc The Lad
Jet Moto
Warhawk

Ones you missed:

Ghosts of Tsushima
Death Stranding
Returnal
Bloodborne
Demon Souls
If you add all Sony or Nintendo IPs to the list it will be more than 100 each I guess… even with Activision the numbers of IPs are way lower on MS side.

But IPs counts doesn’t matter that much.

Last edited:

Arxisz

Sony needs to develop a flagship JRPG and WRPG franchise. There's a huge void in the market where Bioware and (good) Final Fantasy used to be. They should also probably buy Bungie in order to have a competitive FPS.
They don't even have to develop a new JRPG, Could just bring back Legend of Dragoon.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Microsoft also owns the rights to Starlancer and its sequel Freelancer which I am still waiting on for a third entry.

Fl_box.jpg

People still play the game to this day, come on Microsoft give us a sequel.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
No, you're wrong. Use google, wikipedia or something.

Source?

Marvel owns Spider-Man, Disney own Marvel. Marvel/Disney license many different publishers to use their characters on videogames. The case of the Spider-Man games made by Sony are only one of them.

Spider-Man appears on a shit ton of other games. As an example it recently was included in Fortnite, which isn't a Sony game.
Sure, but licensing characters to Fortnite doesn't mean much.

Regarding Tenchu, Activision owns the first 2 games or something, it's complicated.

Microsoft seems to have outsourced Mechwarrior to several actors, but ultimately owns the Mechwarrior game IP: "Microsoft owned the rights to the series, having acquired them when it bought MechWarrior creator FASA Interactive in 1999."

lefty1117

Gold Member
MLB I can add, Days Gone is a single game, not a franchise. I have no idea about Spider-Man really, I can add it since it's such a big Playstation franchise now, but I think it's some sort of joint ownership between Sony and Marvel, so I'm not sure how much control Sony got over the game license.
MLB The Show is multiplat now courtesy of MLB. In fact you can play MLB The Show on ... Gamepass

ethomaz

Banned
...How could marvel license the character to many different studios/games, if sony owned it? Sony strictly only owns the movie rights, absolutely nothing else.
Disney/Marvel owns Spider-man IP and right now it is licensed to Sony… they can’t use it in any game without Sony authorization unless they break the licensing terms.

Last edited:
I mean does one need to buy developers to add to your stable of games?

What's stopping Sony from investing in their existing developers, increasing the numbers to grow them into huge studios able to work on 3 or 4 games simultaneously.

Bragr

Banned
Why are you just counting franchises? Don't see the point in that
That's usually what you do, franchises are what carry value onward and bring in the big money and establish the brand. Great games become franchises. If we are gonna count single games the list would be 30 times bigger, the franchises the companies own usually highlight their strength and value. Mario, Halo, Uncharted etc.. this is the bread and butter.

Moreover, this was just to highlight how many franchises Xbox has gathered recently.

That's usually what you do, franchises are what carry value onward and bring in the big money and establish the brand. Great games become franchises. If we are gonna count single games the list would be 30 times bigger, the franchises the companies own usually highlight their strength and value. Mario, Halo, Uncharted etc.. this is the bread and butter.

Moreover, this was just to highlight how many franchises Xbox has gathered recently.

Well a lot of these are still "franchises" then regardless of if they have one mainline title.

You included the most random franchises for Xbox. Geometry Wars, Conker , Dance Central, Viva Pinata, Heretic, Solider of Fortune?

Don’t mention Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Returnal, Bloodborne, Demon Souls, .. Hell Knack might be bigger all those titles.
And you forgot the old ones from ps1 days like legend of Dragoon.

I think that counting the studios could be more representative of the future output.

Why are you just counting franchises? Don't see the point in that
Makes no sense. Ghost of Tsushima is bigger than most of those titles mentioned. It’s even getting a movie. But not a franchise? And of course its getting a sequel. I dont even like GOT.
And you forgot the old ones from ps1 days like legend of Dragoon.

I think that counting the studios could be more representative of the future output.
I didn’t vvvv
youre going by sequels over the size?

So like Stardust over Returnal for Housemarque.

I guess Everyone’s Golf, Arc the lad, Ico franchise, Ape Escape, Sport Champions, Resistance, White Knights Chronicles, Dark Cloud.. are the real heavy hitters.

Reizo Ryuu

Disney/Marvel owns Spider-man IP and right now it is licensed to Sony… they can’t use it in any game without Sony authorization unless they break the licensing terms.
...ok, that's not what I said, they still don't own anything except the movie rights, but sure.
Also you don't know what the license allows or doesn't, it's complete speculation Spider-Man content can't be used anywhere else, especially since he's in fortnite and many other mobile games; Marvel is not making the mistake of letting one company have full free reign over their IP ever again, so it's far more likely they gave Sony an exclusive license for a console game where x character (insomiac chose Spider-Man) is the main character, and have to renew/renegotiate for any sequels.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I probably missed a bunch, but it's in the ballpark, and some of these are old and inactive, but it paints a picture.

Sony
Astro Bot
God of War
Gran Turismo
Gravity Rush
Horizon
Infamous
Jak And Daxter
Killzone
Knack
The Last of Us
LittleBigPlanet
MLB The Show
Motorstorm
Ratchet & Clank
Resistance
Sly Cooper
SOCOM
Syphon Filter
Twisted Metal
Uncharted
Wipeout

Nintendo
Animal Crossing
Brain Age
Clubhouse Games
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
Kirby
Luigi's Mansion
Mario (massive amount of sub-genres in this one, sports games, puzzle games, etc.)
Metroid
Paper Mario
Picross
Pikmin
Pilotwings
Pokemon (shared ownership between "Game Freak" and "Creatures")
Punch-Out
Splatoon
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Warioware
Xenoblade Chronicles
Yoshi

Xbox
Age of Empires
Banjo-Kazooie
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
City Building Series (ceasar, pharaoh, zeus)
Crash Bandicoot
Conker
Crackdown
Dance Central
Diablo
Dishonored
Doom
Fable
Fallout
Farm Heroes Saga
Forza Motorsport
Forza Horizon
Gears of War
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Halo
Halo Wars
Hearthstone
Hellblade
Heretic
Hexen
Killer Instinct
King's Quest
Lost Vikings
MechWarrior
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Minecraft
Ori
Overwatch
Perfect Dark
Prey
Psychonauts
Quake
Rise of Nations
Skylanders
Soldier of Fortune
Spyro The Dragon
StarCraft
State of Decay
SWAT
Tenchu
The Elder Scrolls
The Evil Within
Tony Hawk
True Crime
Viva Pinata
WarCraft RTS
World of WarCraft
Wolfenstein
This list is missing hella PlayStation IP's lol

KAL2006

Banned
Lists don't mean shit to me, who exactly plays that many games. I only play a few games a year and a few games a re must haves. Unfortunately the few games I do like are on all 3 platforms which means I need to purchase all systems damn you Microsoft for taking away Diablo.

Bragr

Banned
Games are a media franchise. It's the same thing
It's not the same thing, game franchises live on because of sales of their games, not the toys. Do you think they would make Uncharted 4 if 3 didn't sell, but the toys did?

Do you really want to update the list based on available toy merchandise?

yurinka

Sure, but licensing characters to Fortnite doesn't mean much.
For sure it means. Disney/Marvel can license Spider-Man, I don't. Only the owner of the IP can license it.

Regarding Tenchu, Activision owns the first 2 games or something, it's complicated.
From Software owns the Tenchu brand:

Microsoft seems to have outsourced Mechwarrior to several actors, but ultimately owns the Mechwarrior game IP: "Microsoft owned the rights to the series, having acquired them when it bought MechWarrior creator FASA Interactive in 1999."
Ok, MS owns it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom