• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at Japanese Game Sales on Steam - Summer sale 2017 edition [Steamspy figures]

Thank you for all the numbers kswiston.

Honestly most of the numbers are terrible, and some even went backwards or didn't even move. I'd be a little worried if I was a Japanese publisher. It probably costs next to nothing to put the game up on Steam, so there's not that much risk, but if you're a decent game on the Vita you could do better numbers than this. Xanadu Next would do way more than 8k on the Vita.

I get the feeling the Japanese game novelty is wearing off. Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada 2k? Atelier Firis only 10k. I think gamers are getting saturated with Japanese games on the PC, and not picking them all up. I remember picking up Valkyria Chronicles up blind full price, but I don't think I'd do that anymore.

The other thing is PC gamers are notoriously picky, and many of these have port issues, not only that, they hardly stretch most gaming PCs in the west.

People sure are more picky about Japanese games. But it's also that some games are just too niche. Spirit of Sanada is a spin off of a spin off of a niche serie that is DW. And we get one each month. Firis released like a month after Atelier Sophie.

As for doing more on the Vita, that remains to be seen. We dont have a Steamspy for Vita. And I dont think that Ys Origin for exemple sold as much as 8k for exemple.

999/VLR deserve better than losing to freaking Conception
Well they priced it at full price, so that's what they get. If they wanted it to sell decently it should've been cheaper.

Dark Souls 3 still going strong, and the discounts this year weren't even their best.

I get the feeling the Japanese game novelty is wearing off. Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada 2k? Atelier Firis only 10k. I think gamers are getting saturated with Japanese games on the PC, and not picking them all up. I remember picking up Valkyria Chronicles up blind full price, but I don't think I'd do that anymore.

The other thing is PC gamers are notoriously picky, and many of these have port issues, not only that, they hardly stretch most gaming PCs in the west.

I would actually argue that PC-gamers are wary about K-T ports. Heck. AoT somehow used my internal "CPU GPU" instead of my GPU and I wasnt the only one. Needed to change it via GeForce experience. Firis has some issues and seems a worse port than Sophie and uses a mix between PS3 and PS4 assets. Their older ports still have issues or not even cloud saves (like DoA can add DLC every month it seems, but cant add cloud saves which is literally telling the Steam API "Savegamefolder is C:\users\etc."

God damn at Nier doing so well.

And I'm surprised at how much Bayonetta has sold so far as well. Hopefully it means more Sega ports (*cough*Yakuza*cough*)

Numbers are fun, numbers are sad.

Dragon's Dogma is higher than all of Itsuno-directed DMC games put together (counting both vanilla DMC 4 and SE), but lower than DmC.

Well to be fair, DMC3 & 4 are old-ass games that released a long time ago when Steam wasn't that big. And DMC4:SE is just a re-release (even if it has extra content), so it's not going to light the charts on fire.

And Dragon's Dogma is a game that people BEGGED for years to come to PC, and released at a time where Steam is massively popular.

Also, RPGs are more popular than character action games.

You say this as games like Nier, Bayonetta (you know, a 7 year-old game), and Tekken are all doing very well.

kswiston

If we're talking about bigger publishers that are leaving money on the table, where is Final Fantasy XV?

FFX moving close to 500k in a bit over a year (even though it came out 2 years after the PS3 version of this particular remaster) shows how big the potential audience for Final Fantasy games is on Steam.

I'm sure that FFXV will be there eventually, but now they have to deal with whatever reception the game will have a year out after the hype has died.

Tohsaka

Trails SC/3rd and Xanadu Next performing poorly is really unfortunate, hopefully Tokyo Xanadu and Ys 8 will do better since they are modern and releasing at the same time as the PS4 version.

If we're talking about bigger publishers that are leaving money on the table, where is Final Fantasy XV?

FFX moving close to 500k in a bit over a year (even though it came out 2 years after the PS3 version of this particular remaster) shows how big the potential audience for Final Fantasy games is on Steam.

I'm sure that FFXV will be there eventually, but now they have to deal with whatever reception the game will have a year out after the hype has died.

Nier Automata moving close to 500k in a bit over 3 month shows how better it would do.

Thank you for all the numbers kswiston.

Honestly most of the numbers are terrible, and some even went backwards or didn't even move. I'd be a little worried if I was a Japanese publisher. It probably costs next to nothing to put the game up on Steam, so there's not that much risk, but if you're a decent game on the Vita you could do better numbers than this. Xanadu Next would do way more than 8k on the Vita.

A lot of steam users are vocal, engaged, and informed consumers. They write reviews, look at the score, read the reviews, post messages on forums. They also have a standard of expectations for pc releases and will mark games down if they are missing features. Koei-Tecmo have a terrible reputation for their pc releases. I wouldn't be surprised if their sales are taking a hit on every title. SquareEnix is making the same mistake with Nier. Japanese publishers are making stupid mistakes they should be fixing.

A lot of steam users are vocal, engaged, and informed consumers. They write reviews, look at the score, read the reviews, post messages on forums. They also have a standard of expectations for pc releases and will mark games down if they are missing features. Koei-Tecmo have a terrible reputation for their pc releases. I wouldn't be surprised if they're sales are taking a hit on every title. SquareEnix is making the same mistake with Nier. Japanese publishers are making stupid mistakes they should be fixing.

Absolutely. I already stopped buying KT games, and Square Enix is making me mad with its bad decisions.

Tonton

Trails SC/3rd and Xanadu Next performing poorly is really unfortunate, hopefully Tokyo Xanadu and Ys 8 will do better since they are modern and releasing at the same time as the PS4 version.
We'll see, they're newer games but they're also gonna be a lot more expensive, Ys VI did rather poorly at launch so I don't think the Ys brand has that much power there and not seeing much excitement for TX (the GAF Vita OT is pretty much dead)
Cold Steel I think should do above SC unless XSEED goes crazy with the price but not sure by how much
Zwei will probably do Xanadu Next numbers

MoonFrog

Hmmmm...I just bought Ys 1+2, Origin, Oath this Steam sale and am really enjoying them (for myself, I'd bought them as a gift for another person a while back). Was hoping we'd get Celceta on Steam too, so this is a bit depressing (I don't have a Vita).

Curious about Falcom in general. I tried TitS but it didn't pull me in, but I still intend to try again. Also curious about Xanadu.

Pretty sad since it's a much worse game than the 3rd :/

Right, but it has a wider appeal as it looks to have better production values.
Now it'll all depends on the price.

Imagine they would've bothered to patch Nier and actually advertised the PC version

Lol, can you imagine if they didnt actively hid this game's release ? And let's not kid ourselves: They knew the games release date on PC or release window 2 to 3 month in advance. Yet they waited for the PS4 release in west to unveil it.

Ascheroth

We'll see, they're newer games but they're also gonna be a lot more expensive, Ys VI did rather poorly at launch so I don't think the Ys brand has that much power there and not seeing much excitement for TX (the GAF Vita OT is pretty much dead)
Cold Steel I think should do above SC unless XSEED goes crazy with the price but not sure by how much
On the plus side, Cold Steel should also be some free marketing for the Trails in the Sky games (god dammit XSEED make a freaking Sky bundle and advertise it on the Cold Steel store page).

Tohsaka

Well as far as TX goes, I think most people who own a PS4 or gaming PC and aren't impatient are waiting for the PS4/PC version. I bought the Vita version because I didn't want to wait and will be double dipping for the PS4 version when it comes out. I hope it does well; it's really good, one of my favorite games of the year so far and by all accounts the PS4 version is much better.

Debatable. The game's designed for KB/M controls and would need more than your usual port job to run well on Vita, given the source code's age, and it still would suffer from physical release costs with or without a CE or anything to guarantee pre-orders. I think it's made XSEED a profit, just like Brandish: The Dark Revenant which was basically all done by Tom @ XSEED + programming by Falcom at the last minute.

It should do better. Zwei II (and Zwei!!) haven't had fan translations out for years before the official localization, they're more appealing games in terms of art and humor (a shame since Xanadu Next really draws you in after a couple of hours), and I think XSEED's going to do better marketing Ilvard Insurrection during a much less crowded summer season. Timing alone should make a big difference, though I'm not expecting huge sales for Zwei II. We really need to get the word out for this one to make up for Xanadu Next's grim performance, but it's ultimately on XSEED to push this one and spam proud during the release period. I hope Durante does an article on what he's been doing for Cold Steel's PC port, at least, since he draws guaranteed views. At least SC's finally gaining good sales even with its higher price, which means players are slowly but surely beating FC and moving on. SC's owners number = a lot of captured fans of the series for sure.

Curious about Falcom in general. I tried TitS but it didn't pull me in, but I still intend to try again. Also curious about Xanadu.
Which parts of FC didn't pull you in or pushed you out? My blanket suggestion is to set up Cheat Engine, which has a "speedhack" function that doubles animation/camera speed within a game but doesn't speed up music and some other elements which need to stay locked. This will greatly mitigate any time wasted by the Sky games' bizarrely slow battle system (which is otherwise fun to mess around with).

Xanadu Next's just great, and will tickle the Metroid/Zelda/late-1990s-dungeon-crawling aficionado within you. It's actually not as challenging as it looks, too, since you can keep a healthy stock of healing items if necessary, and pacing's swift (I normally beat in 15 hours or less).

kswiston

There's no reason why Cold Steel needs to be more than $30. They are adding more VA dialogue to the game, but most of the localization was done two years ago. SC and 3rd needed full localizations.

Tonton

Well as far as TX goes, I think most people who own a PS4 or gaming PC and aren't impatient are waiting for the PS4/PC version. I bought the Vita version because I didn't want to wait and will be double dipping for the PS4 version when it comes out. I hope it does well; it's really good, one of my favorite games of the year so far and by all accounts the PS4 version is much better.
Yeah I want the game to do well but niche games like this on Steam don't seem have the same level of success they'd have before so I'm not so sure about it

It should do better. Zwei II (and Zwei!!) haven't had fan translations out for years before the official localization, they're more appealing games in terms of art and humor (a shame since Xanadu Next really draws you in after a couple of hours), and I think XSEED's going to do better marketing Ilvard Insurrection during a much less crowded summer season. Timing alone should make a big difference, though I'm not expecting huge sales for Zwei II. We really need to get the word out for this one to make up for Xanadu Next's grim performance, but it's ultimately on XSEED to push this one and spam proud during the release period. I hope Durante does an article on what he's been doing for Cold Steel's PC port, at least, since he draws guaranteed views.
Maybe Zwei will do a bit better but I'm still expecting poor performance akin to XN, don't see much talk anywhere about the game

Little King's Story still isn't selling after XSEED brought Durante to fix It so I don't think his name helps that much

There's no reason why Cold Steel needs to be more than $30. They are adding more VA dialogue to the game, but most of the localization was done two years ago. SC and 3rd needed full localizations.
Yes and I was expecting it to be $30 but after Fate/Extella's pricing I'm not so sure anymore

sibarraz

Banned
I just noticed that Tekken 7 brutalized KOFXIV. It might be the best example to show that aesthetics and timing really do matter.

MvCI has the benefit of releasing at the same time as console, but the game looks awful. So I would expect a middle ground of sales excluding the bonus they get for having the Marvel IP. Maybe launch 150k sales (I am not good at predicting sales).

I see nothing weird with tekken selling way more than kof, considering

1) Tekken was a new release
2) Tekken is way bigger on the mainstream audience than KOF has ever been.
3) People who wanted KOF already bought it last year.

Is like comparing KOF with Injustice, is obvious that the later will sell way more

Tokyo Xanadu vita OT is dead because almost everyone is expecting the superior version for PS4 and PC. But still, I doubt that it will move big numbers.

I think that cold steel will not sell that much better either.

btw, how many sold copies does this kind of xseed ports to recover investment? compare to games like nier they will see like big bombas, but some companies don't aim for that many units sold on launch, as far as I know Xanadu Next was a bomba for them, to the point that even in this sale it sold bad

Yeah I want the game to do well but niche games like this on Steam don't seem have the same level of success they'd have before so I'm not so sure about it

Maybe Zwei will do a bit better but I'm still expecting poor performance akin to XN, don't see much talk anywhere about the game

Little King's Story still isn't selling after XSEED brought Durante to fix It so I don't think his name helps that much

Yes and I was expecting it to be $30 but after Fate/Extella's pricing I'm not so sure anymore

Fate Stella is sent to death especially at this price.
As for Little King's Story, it's sad as it's an amazing game. But it just doesnt has the word of mouth unfortunately :/

Zwei's coming sometime in August, most likely, so I'm waiting for more news. You're free to bump the E3 thread I made if you want to discuss the game, of course.

Most people don't even know Durante worked on this, and that's because XSEED tucked his comments into their blog which a lot of people don't even read. So it's really on them to do more and better free/easy marketing than they usually do, or else they're in deep shit as the market becomes more crowded. I really wonder if this reluctance stems from their president rather than recent hires and some veterans.

btw, how many sold copies does this kind of xseed ports to recover investment? compare to games like nier they will see like big bombas, but some companies don't aim for that many units sold on launch, as far as I know Xanadu Next was a bomba for them, to the point that even in this sale it sold bad
Xananext counts as a bomba, but I think it's done okay for them at the end of the day, just not good or great. Corpse Party PC at least seems to done much better despite way more delays than usual for a newer XSEED release.

Ascheroth

Most people don't even know Durante worked on this, and that's because XSEED tucked his comments into their blog which a lot of people don't even read. So it's really on them to do more and better free/easy marketing than they usually do, or else they're in deep shit as the market becomes more crowded. I really wonder if this reluctance stems from their president rather than recent hires and some veterans.

Xananext counts as a bomba, but I think it's done okay for them at the end of the day, just not good or great. Corpse Party PC at least seems to done much better despite way more delays than usual for a newer XSEED release.
Yeah, they really struggle with advertising their stuff. At the end of the day, if no one knows your game exists, no one will buy it, no matter how good it is...

Tonton

Tokyo Xanadu vita OT is dead because almost everyone is expecting the superior version for PS4 and PC. But still, I doubt that it will move big numbers.

I think that cold steel will not sell that much better either.

It'll depend of the game, and even if the cost was the same, some games will still have different expectations for sales but for an example they liked sales for Nitroplus Blasters on Steam

Yeah, they really struggle with advertising their stuff. At the end of the day, if no one knows your game exists, no one will buy it, no matter how good it is...

Like stealth announcing Fate Extella 3 weeks before release. And I'm sure that if we check Steamdb, we'll see it was uploaded months ago.

Are there any PS4/PS3/Vita western sales numbers to compare some of these games with or is it just an assumption that they're doing way better on those consoles?

sibarraz

Banned
Watching those numbers again, I'm amazed that there were almost no units sold for the YS games, with the exception of ark of naphatism

kswiston

Fate/Extella is going to be $50 because it is releasing the same day as the $60 Switch port. I don't think that has much of a bearing on Cold Steel, unless I missed a Switch port announcement for that somewhere.

Thanks so much for doing this! Those Trails in the Sky numbers hurt deep, but it's... expected.

Second Chapter is slowly making its way towards respectable numbers. We haven't seen it receive any steep discounts or bundles yet either.

Are there any PS4/PS3/Vita western sales numbers to compare some of these games with or is it just an assumption that they're doing way better on those consoles?

It is mostly an assumption.
The rare case we can compare, Nier Automata/Tales of shows comparable sales between PC and consoles.

Trash fan service wins over substance yet again. But no, I'm actually fine with it provided it's not the only thing about the game. That said, some of these are disappointing.

Ascheroth

Fate/Extella is going to be $50 because it is releasing the same day as the $60 Switch port. I don't think that has much of a bearing on Cold Steel, unless I missed a Switch port announcement for that somewhere.
It doesn't sound like a good deal though.
Yikes. They are really trying to milk that PC crowd. Even with a 20% discount on the DLC, you're looking at paying about $87 to get what Switch users are getting for $60 (or $48 if you have Prime or GCU). And they don't even have to pay for any physical manufacturing!

sibarraz

Banned
wow those KOF XIV figures are beyond awful.

Those numbers are fine, considering that SNK sold a 1 year old game at >60 dollars, discounting the 30% fee that steam takes from each sale, they still got $840.000 of income, which is way more than what probably costed them to port this game.

Will love to see more sales? yes, but at this point I think that SNK is fine with the units sold for 14 on ps4, specially considering all the support that the game got after its release.

KOF fans already bought the game last year, all those guys saying "im waiting for the steam version" never purchase them, and just say that as an excuse.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wanted to grab Onechanbara and/or EDF during the sale, but too many other titles were vying for my attention.

Those numbers are fine, considering that SNK sold a 1 year old game at >60 dollars, discounting the 30% fee that steam takes from each sale, they still got $840.000 of income, which is way more than what probably costed them to port this game.

Will love to see more sales? yes, but at this point I think that SNK is fine with the units sold for 14 on ps4, specially considering all the support that the game got after its release.

KOF fans already bought the game last year, all those guys saying "im waiting for the steam version" never purchase them, and just say that as an excuse.

Nah, the latter is wrong. I've been waiting for the Steam version. Didnt bought it for many reasons:
1) It's nearly a year late and its launching at a high price despite that. Game on PS4 could've been had for cheaper.
2) It released on the same two weeks as Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 2.

You just cant dump a game so late to the party at a price this high and expect crazy numbers on top of that. Heck, it's not even complete and asks people to pay for DLC characters on top of that while being late.

Nier:A at almost half a million?

Seems pretty good for a market that notoriously "doesn't play PC games"

great to hear.

Thanks for sharing this info. Looks like a lot of time put into the OP!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This number fits the percentage of players who have beaten Trails SC on Steam so far, however, and it makes sense that a direct follow-up to SC wouldn't appeal to anyone locked out of the story until they beat FC and SC. Let's sit on this one for a bit and wait to see numbers for more accessible XSEED releases coming soon.

It's not well-advertised yet, but XSEED's been working on a Trails bundle since at least the start of this year according to the Trails 3rd preview stream. A complete-the-series bundle would be perfect for the trilogy.

Hi Dragoon. This post caught my eye. You mentioned a Trails 3rd preview stream. I missed it. Can you post a link to the archived vid?

MoonFrog

Which parts of FC didn't pull you in or pushed you out? My blanket suggestion is to set up Cheat Engine, which has a "speedhack" function that doubles animation/camera speed within a game but doesn't speed up music and some other elements which need to stay locked. This will greatly mitigate any time wasted by the Sky games' bizarrely slow battle system (which is otherwise fun to mess around with).

Xanadu Next's just great, and will tickle the Metroid/Zelda/late-1990s-dungeon-crawling aficionado within you. It's actually not as challenging as it looks, too, since you can keep a healthy stock of healing items if necessary, and pacing's swift (I normally beat in 15 hours or less).

It was more like when you watch a TV show and give up after the first episode, tbh.

I played about a hour of the game and the character/settings just were really underwhelming to me in that initial period. I guess I expected too much too quickly from Estelle hype in the GAF threads that convinced me to try it.

I also got the feeling that the battle system would require a little more to figure out than I had time/attention to devote when I picked the game up.

And that's a general background fact...I was fairly busy when I picked it up so for it to get its teeth in me, it would have to bite pretty hard at the beginning instead of me devoting myself to getting into it.

And that's why it is something I think might do better with me on a new attempt, because now (sadly) I have all the time in the world for a bit.

We'll see. I've got a lot of JRPG in my to-play list, but I really want to like Trails because it sounds like if I do there is a wealth of great content to add to that to-play list (my favorite to-play list.)

Hmmm considering that the intersection of Zelda/Metroid is my favorite gameplay in the industry, that is definitely very intriguing.

Top Bottom