• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at Japanese Game Sales on Steam - Spring 2017 edition [Steamspy figures]

Parsnip

I really think NISA should fast-track a Disgaea 5 port and forget about releasing them in order.

It was fair enough releasing the first one, but to then wait a year only to release Disgaea 2 seems like a load of wasted effort. At the rate they are going, by the time they get round to D5 (or whatever is the most current version) it'll be old hat by then.

I don't know about 5, it's already old hat right now.
But if they are smart, Disgaea 6 (or whatever else comes next) should be day and date.

And then pad their schedule with an older port every 6 months or something when there's nothing new to release.

gngf123

Actually on the topic of NISA, those Stranger of Sword City sales are really disappointing.

Only made worse by the fact that Sakura Dungeon sold significantly more than it and released around the same time. Damnit Steam community.

SarusGray

I don't know about 5, it's already old hat right now.
But if they are smart, Disgaea 6 (or whatever else comes next) should be day and date.

And then pad their schedule with an older port every 6 months or something when there's nothing new to release.

you should be their business consultant.

Christhor

DmC: Devil May Cry - 936.000 (893.000)
Devil May Cry 4 - 303.000 (291.000)
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - 234.000 (219.000)
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 203.000 (176.000)

Were the DMC ports only recently released on steam, while the DmC one has been on there since the original release?
Please tell me that's the case

releasing all at once would hurt their sales. They should speed it up a bit but Disgaea is quite a long game...
No I'm saying skip 3 & 4 and jump straight to 5. What's the point in pissing about only charging budget price for ancient games that only sell 20k, when they can sell conservatively 3 times that for twice the price because it's the most current version.

If the likes of Namco has shown is getting as close to day and date get's you increased unit sales at much higher price per unit and therefore greater revenue.

kswiston

Were the DMC ports only recently released on steam, while the DmC one has been on there since the original release?

DMC 3 and 4 have been on Steam since 2007 and 2009 respectively. DMC4 SE is obviously the newer remaster.

Pachael

The irony of all this is that the pioneers of publishing Japanese games on Steam were basically two Atelier fans who localized an indie Atelier-like.

And to this day it is a product with higher standards, higher sales, and more pride in the game itself than actual Atelier on Steam.

Capitalism, ho!

Looking back at the past 7 years the progress on this front has been pretty good though not every title can be a Dark Souls.

gngf123

DmC was bundled if I remember correctly. I think that's how I got it. It probably got quite a few sales that way.

Also I strangely remember people saying it had a very good PC port at the time.

DmC was bundled if I remember correctly. I think that's how I got it. It probably got quite a few sales that way.

Also I strangely remember people saying it had a very good PC port at the time.
Before the current gen ports the PC version was the definitive version (60 fps vs locked 30 on console).

gngf123

My understanding Re: NieR is that it is available for sale in Japan but will go on sale in the wider Asia region next month. IIRC this is due to translation reasons more than anything else.

Stranger of Sword City - 14.000 (11.000)
Elminage Gothic - 6.000 (8.000)
Xanadu Next - 5.000 (3.000)

depressing. it's like they don't exist.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - 40.000 (37.000)

not good for niche falcom. rip dinosaur.

Ray Gigant - (5.000)

this looks like a limited run games print number.

hope nier does well over time. game needs all the recognition it can get.

kswiston

40k for Second Chapter isn't that bad given the price point. That's probably somewhere in the vicinity of $1M in total revenue. Subtract 30% from that for Valve's cut and add in whatever the PSP version managed to sell.

Someone who likely didn't care much for the series to begin with or is one of the last few die hards who absolutely needed the game physically on PSP, in 2015. That or they waited till the 3rd announcement to even consider SC, which when it wasn't announced for PSP (as a 2017 release mind you), they lost interest. Consoles die guys, at some point it's time to move on to where things actually have a chance to still release.

ggx2ac

Added.

I am no doubt still missing some titles, as there are so many of them. I will add in requests, outside of hobby games and the hundreds of 1-9k selling visual novels.

How about the Umihara Kawase games since you have Code of Princess listed which are all from the same developer studio? Studio Saizensen.

They're all published by Degica on Steam.

C7o2taZVAAAPMOP.jpg

Oh wow. Surprised how badly RE7 did.

This too.

Sad to see Berseria do worse when its a far better game.

Nice start. Alongside PS4 sales, I'm guessing Nier is at 750k+

Badly ? Lol.
As for Berseria doing worse, it's pretty much the case everywhere. You were also predicting more than half a drop.

cuc

Some other games to include:

Game Freak Inc.:
other than Tembo the Badass Elephant, they self-published Giga Wrecker on Steam. It's probably better to group the two together.
Giga Wrecker - 5,598 ± 3,163

Artdink:
A venerable PC developer. The problem is some of their A-Train games have multiple confusing entries, and the titles of their untranslated games are in Japanese, which SteamSpy couldn't recognize until more recently.

Still, I managed to sort them out (all games except for Neo ATLAS 1469 are published by Degica):

Lunatic Dawn Legend Pack (untranslated) - 1,608 ± 2,227
Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book (untranslated) - 2,075 ± 2,346

A-Train 8 - 15,394 ± 5,246
A-Train 9 V1.0 (DELISTED) - 3,265 ± 2,416
A-Train 9 V3.0 (DELISTED) - 2,075 ± 2,346
A-Train 9 V4.0 - 1,866 ± 1,826
A-Train 3D PC (untranslated) - 6,997 ± 3,537

(According to the store page, they have plans to localize A-Train 3D PC.)

SteamSpy doesn't consider data on the following titles reliable enough to be displayed: A-Train 8 (Japanese), Eikan wa Kimi ni Legend Pack, ATLAS Legend Pack, and Neo ATLAS 1469.

Ascheroth

40k for Second Chapter isn't that bad given the price point. That's probably somewhere in the vicinity of $1M in total revenue. Subtract 30% from that for Valve's cut and add in whatever the PSP version managed to sell.

The Trails games are also on GOG, where we don't have any data.

pbayne

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 254.000 (213.000)
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - 40.000 (37.000)

Still makes me sad. I may refuse to buy it on PC because of PSP/Vita getting dropped but I do still want to see it do well.

Yikes That seems like a really bad drop-off. Wonder how TC will perform now.

Fisico

Well, Berseria in Japan performed below Zestiria.
On top of that, Berseria performed closer than your claims according to kswiston numbers.

Well we're in a thread about Steam sales where Japan is a very minor actor so I'm not sure how japanese sales on consoles are relevant.on that topic, western sales trend being hugely different.

Berseria and Zestiria also had pretty similar numbers in Japan in the end

I don't see any contradiction between kswiston number (thanks for keeping track on that) and mine, only more details which is welcome, I don't really care about which game is performing worse or better I'm only comparing numbers.

Tales of Zestiria
After 1 month : 90k
After 3 months : 115k
After 4 months : 130k
After 1 year and 9 months: 422k

Tales of Berseria
After two months : 82k
After 4 months : 90k
After 6 months : 130k

I think Berseria had some special discount pack recently with both Zestiria and Berseria at 50$ which is pretty similar to how Symphonia was offered when preordering Zestiria (although the latter offer lasted for longer and was more attractive considering many people intended to buy Zestiria anyway)

Shizuka

The numbers don't show how many people bought and returned it, SteamSpy doesn't give accurate numbers.

For example, I released a small game a month ago. SteamSpy guesses my game has sold between 300-2640 copies.

(it's sold 1,520 copies at this very moment).

It's just a rough estimate, basically saying "Between here and here" using the data that's available.

I see, the numbers can decrease with time and that doesn't mean people returned the game.

kswiston

I think Berseria had some special discount pack recently with both Zestiria and Berseria at 50$ which is pretty similar to how Symphonia was offered when preordering Zestiria (although the latter offer lasted for longer and was more attractive considering many people intended to buy Zestiria anyway)

Was the discount pack on Steam or somewhere else?

Fisico

Was the discount pack on Steam or somewhere else?

I can't remember exactly, tried to dig up a little but to no avail.
Iirc I saw that on some Tales facebook group a few weeks ago, I can't say for sure if it was Steam or not.
Now that I think about it if it wasn't on Steam it sure didn't count towards Steam sales lol.

Tonyx

Are those good numbers in general? Most of them seem on the low side to me.

I am especially surprised at the Disgaea games and most Koei-Tecmo ones (only 26K for Toukiden?).

bebop242

Awesome for NieR.

Dragons Dogma seems to have done well considering it was a port of a game that was already out on consoles for years.

Danganronpa numbers depress me and the Last Remnant shocks me. I've not heard about a single person talk about that game, ever.

Last Remnant was one of the first JRPGs to be released on Steam (2009) AND it's been massively discounted several times AND the PC version is unanimously considered to be drastically better than the console versions.t

gngf123

Are those good numbers in general? Most of them seem on the low side to me.

I am especially surprised at the Disgaea games and most Koei-Tecmo ones (only 26K for Toukiden?).

KT are infamous at this point for releasing really awful PC ports. It's going to weigh down all their releases until they show a consistent sign of change.

Sophie could've been the start of that but after Firis, guess not.

The Atelier numbers aren't bad given that it's a low-budget niche series. Even Firis which did worse because it's $60 and came out a month after another Atelier game on PC is doing fine - over $250k in publisher revenue after 2 weeks for a port that can't have been hard to do. It'll obviously make a lot more than that over time and with some price drops & sales.

iavi

I don't think the Dangan Ronpa numbers are bad given that VNs are niche and don't need to sell much to make it all back 100k plus copies for damn near both is a success

kswiston

I don't think the Dangan Ronpa numbers are bad given that VNs are niche and don't need to sell much to make it all back 100k plus copies for damn near both is a success

The Danganronpa numbers are equivalent or slightly better than the western VITA numbers for the franchise over a similar timeframe.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
5k for Xanadu Next is downright criminal... one of the best games released last year.

kswiston

I'm not sure if anyone was curious/remembered, but I will be doing a update to this thread series after the Steam Summer sale wraps up in early July. Between that, and all of the new releases since April, I think that there will be some interesting changes.

A question: Is anyone interested in seeing a before and after the summer sale snapshot of Steamspy figures? I'm not sure if most titles will move enough copies during the sale to overcome statistical noise, but I could grab updated figures on Wednesday, and then again after the sale, posting a list of the top 25 increases during the sale (or something like that).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A question: Is anyone interested in seeing a before and after the summer sale snapshot of Steamspy figures? I'm not sure if most titles will move enough copies during the sale to overcome statistical noise, but I could grab updated figures on Wednesday, and then again after the sale, posting a list of the top 25 increases during the sale (or something like that).

Sure.

BasilZero

I'm not sure if anyone was curious/remembered, but I will be doing a update to this thread series after the Steam Summer sale wraps up in early July. Between that, and all of the new releases since April, I think that there will be some interesting changes.

I would like to see this!

Would be interesting to see since a lot of new titles came out since the last major sale.

Top Bottom