• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at Japanese Game Sales on Steam - Post-holiday 2016 edition [Steamspy figures]

kewlmyc

The MGS V and Dark Souls sales number really make me baffled as to why japanese pubs still tiptoe around releasing their major games on PC in a timely manner.

They're learning. Tales of games are releasing day in day now (well, 3 days after console release, but that isn't terrible). Same with most of their console games like Xenoverse, Naruto, and God Eater.

Despite how shit their ports are, Tecmo Koei is doing better with day in day releases as well as shown with Attack on Titan.

Now if only Square Enix would do it for Nier Automata.

Good for you Higurashi, Danganronpa, and Dragon's Dogma. Also, don't like the game but good for you Tales of Zestiria. Hopefully Berseria does just as well.

Ascheroth

They're learning. Tales of games are releasing day in day now (well, 3 days after console release, but that isn't terrible). Same with most of their console games like Xenoverse, Naruto, and God Eater.

Despite how shit their ports are, Tecmo Koei is doing better with day in day releases as well as shown with Attack on Titan.

Now if only Square Enix would do it for Nier Automata.

Notice that all those titles in the first paragraph are from Namco Bandai :p

Koei is getting better, Atelier Firis is also simultaneous iirc.
And NISA has a number sof simultaneous launches announced for 2017 as well.

Nier Automata was even announced as a simultaneous launch, but then Square just went full secretive with 'it's coming sometime in 2017. Maybe.' for whatever reason.

Asparagus

Those Xanadu Next numbers are depressing, I actually completely forgot about the game and never got round to buying it.

I just rectified that though :)

Zushin

Dark Souls (the series) numbers are astonishing when you think back to how it required a petition to get on PC. Betcha FROM/Namco are happy with that investment!

Pachael

How many steam games SEGA has sold in 2016?

Well, Sega Europe did dev/publish the following: (nee Steamspy). They've been active on Steam.

- Total War Warhammer
- Football Manager 2017
- Motorsport Manager
- Endless Space 2 (Early Access)
- HELP: Warchild UK pack

Japanese Games? I guess zero.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
But many do have something comparable to Tales of Zestiria, and the reason Namco sold 274k of that on PC is entirely down to how they handle their PC releases compared to most other companies. Solid day-and-date ports have a huge impact on the number of copies you can sell, and the price you can sell them at.

Yep. Treating PC customers as actual customers and not "double dip opportunities" does wonders.

kewlmyc

Notice that all those titles in the first paragraph are from Namco Bandai :p

Koei is getting better, Atelier Firis is also simultaneous iirc.
And NISA has a number sof simultaneous launches announced for 2017 as well.

Nier Automata was even announced as a simultaneous launch, but then Square just went full secretive with 'it's coming sometime in 2017. Maybe.' for whatever reason.

Good point. Namco is doing a good job, at least port wise, with their games.

I just really hate the way Square Enix handles their Japanese titles on Steam.

Cmagus

some games cost too much for their perceived age or niche status. Those cant build a fanbase with those prices.

KOEI is the most obvious of the bunch. Nobunaga and Romance games are massively overpriced

I always am surprised over the low costs for Final Fantasy games.

I would say price does factor into these sales for a lot of the games. Japanese games are usually up there as some of the highest priced games and they usually don't put games on sale as much or at a low discount. Now I know price shouldn't be an issue if the game is good but asking $66-$80 (can) for some of these games will be a turn of for a lot. Personally I'm interested in Toukiden but honestly I haven't bought it because I don't wanna pay $70 for it not gonna lie but I'd pay $40 for it.

Well, Sega Europe did dev/publish the following: (nee Steamspy). They've been active on Steam.

- Total War Warhammer
- Football Manager 2017
- Motorsport Manager
- Endless Space 2 (Early Access)
- HELP: Warchild UK pack

Japanese Games? I guess zero.
Sega has seriously missed the opportunity all that goodwill Valkryia built up, now that competition on Steam has got a lot tougher for Japanese games.

Atlus I think is a lost cause, but seriously surprised at no Yakuza ports. They would've been the most obvious titles to port, if they wanted to follow up on the success of VC.

Eolz

Capcom's business reports have made many times clear that they never plan to bother with games like DDO, MHFrontier and MHO outside of Asia.

Where exactly? From what I remember them saying before, it's really a unique case everytime, and while not the plan so far, each game is extremely different.
MHF is a dated MMO with no potential in the west, and MHO is a special deal where Tencent wanted it only for the chinese market for example.

kswiston

Dragon's Dogma is going to eventually be a million seller. Maybe by this time next year.

Because the Final Fantasy games were not released in any sort of order, here's the series by date of release on Steam.

Final Fantasy VII (Jul 2013) - 1.090.000 (1.064.000)
Final Fantasy VIII (Dec 2013) - 611.000 (590.000)

Final Fantasy III (May 2014) - 168.000 (152.000)
Final Fantasy IV (Sep 2014) - 155.000 (147.000)
Final Fantasy XIII (Oct 2014) - 635.000 (631.000)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Dec 2014) - 389.000 (381.000)

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (May 2015) - 79.000 (74.000)
Final Fantasy Type-0 (Aug 2015) - 151.000 (141.000)
Final Fantasy V (Sep 2015) - 57.000 (56.000)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Dec 2015) - 291.000 (209.000)
Final Fantasy VI (Dec 2015) - 84.000 (72.000)

Final Fantasy IX (Apr 2016) - 245.000 (164.000)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (May 2016) - 336.000 (213.000)

FF7 and 8 were released first by a good margin and are $12 regular price. FF XIII is $16, while FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns are $20 regular price. FFIX is $21. FFX Remaster and Type-0 are $30.

Price, release order, and type of release explain a lot of the variation. Generally speaking, the low effort mobile ports (FFIII-VI) did the worst. FFIII and IV HD versions of the DS polygon-based remakes. They sold better than FFV and VI which had poorly received 2D graphical overhauls. All of the PS3/PS4 titles sold well, with the exception of Type-0, which was also poorly received. FFIX also did pretty well for what it was.

I'm hoping we get a version of Final Fantasy Tactics this year, in addition to FFXII remaster, and hopefully FFXV at some point.

kswiston

I can only assume Neptunia has been on Steam at some extremely low prices?

The first game is typically $7.50 on Sale. I think it had an 80% off sale at least once on Steam as well.

Besides that, Neptunia 1 was in a weekly Humble bundle at least once I believe. I don't know if bundles were enough to put it under Zestiria though.

Sad to hear about Xanadu Next. I don't think those numbers quite represent the likely user number (I patrolled the SteamSpy page often enough to see massive fluctuations that don't make sense), but I can't imagine it's gone past 5k or 6k. GOG numbers are even slimmer, no doubt. XSEED's not hurting in the slightest for releasing the game this way, but they really have a problem with marketing and keeping up awareness of their niche PC releases. There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting YouTube or Twitch personalities interested in these games—Lazy Game Reviews doing a pre-release preview of a new Falcom localization would be fun and useful for XSEED.

Over time I think Xananext's numbers will climb, but I feel like pricing the game lower initially would have made the difference in a packed Fall 2016 season. $15 at launch w/10%-off discount would have been enticing.

I was never really fond of Falcom's technical graphics. Very low resolution textures + extremely basic geometric complexity.

Granted these games are old, but they don't look good at all. :\
You could at least concede that all these Falcom games have great visual design despite their technical limitations (which, at the time, were partly self-enforced because Japanese PC gamers in the mid-2000s (and now) use(d) weak machines). Still not sure how those textures can be called very low-res...that's hyperbolic.

Also, why in hell would anyone call this game overrated when so few still don't know about it, even in the non-East Asian Falcom fandom.

jackal27

Banned
You are a real man in my eyes broski.

receipts:
qCZCfKR.png

jrcbandit

Without flash steam sales, visual novels don't go cheap enough for me to buy, I'll keep waiting since I tend to get distracted and never finish any VN. I did support Umineko and Clannad, though.

I'm glad Koei Tecmo games aren't doing better, they deserve low sales for being horrible PC ports. Being locked to 1080p, using ps3 assets instead of ps4, and having very limited graphic options are inexcusable, especially since they typically charge $60 for the product at launch. I really regret buying Dragon Quest Heroes from the Square Enix store this sale due to the 1080p limitation (and I didn't like the camera).

Ascheroth

I can only assume Neptunia has been on Steam at some extremely low prices?

Well, owner numbers are only half the picture.
Zestiria probably made more revenue in it's launch-week (around 80k I think?) than Neptunia 1 did lifetime.

(Which is another reason why simultaneous releases should be a no-brainer)

kswiston

I have decided to comb through the list that I posted in the OP and pick out the biggest changes since late October. Keeping in mind that games with high sales are likely to vary more in absolute terms due to their error margins being larger, here's everything that's increased by at least 25k owners since the last update. Titles are ordered by increase (in descending order).

200k+ since end of Oct 2016
Dragons Dogma - 644.000 (426.000)

100-199k since end of Oct 2016
Dark Souls III - 1.328.000 (1.130.000)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - 164.000 (NEW)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - 336.000 (213.000)
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - 996.000 (888.000)
Resident Evil 6 - 1.031.000 (923.000)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 1.251.000 (1.147.000)

50-99k since end of Oct 2016
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 291.000 (209.000)
Final Fantasy IX - 245.000 (164.000)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 - 282.000 (205.000)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 773.000 (699.000)
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 770.000 (700.000)
Resident Evil 0 Remaster - 136.000 (69.000)
God Eater 2: Rage Burst - 112.000 (58.000)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R - 82.000 (31.000)
Dead Rising 3 - 506.000 (455.000)

25-49k since end of Oct 2016
Tales of Zestiria - 274.000 (227.000)
Resident Evil 4 - 668.000 (622.000)
NEKOPARA Vol. 2 - 191.000 (149.000)
Resident Evil 5 - 847.000 (810.000)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 658.000 (621.000)
NEKOPARA Vol. 1 - 314.000 (278.000)
Street Fighter V - 240.000 (205.000)
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ - 39.000 (4.000)
Resident Evil HD - 288.000 (254.000)
NEKOPARA Vol. 0 - 285.000 (252.000)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 3: V Generation - 157.000 (126.000)
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - 196.000 (165.000)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2: Sisters Generation - 185.000 (155.000)
Dark Souls II - 1.054.000 (1.024.000)
BlazBlue: Chronophantasma Extend - 75.000 (46.000)
DmC: Devil May Cry - 893.000 (867.000)
Final Fantasy VII - 1.090.000 (1.064.000)
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus - 77.000 (51.000)

SephLuis

This should be said more but here it goes

Buy Xanadu Next, Ys and the Trails games

Seriously, Falcom needs a bigger public.

Tokyo Xanadu is coming in 2017 via Aksys.

I really do hope they find a way to bring ex+ (the PS4 version) because the amount of added content is absurd.

And, from what I have been playing of the free version, my guess is that Falcom wants this new Xanadu to become like the Trails series. One big narrative with many, many games.

At least Trails SC is chugging along slowly but surely (and Ark of Napishtim, for that matter). Will be interesting to see how 3rd does.

I feel like Trails SC is finally starting to get some decent numbers under its belt. Wouldn't be surprised to see it at 50k sales this time next year.

It's still a large drop from FC, but respectable otherwise.

I doubt 3rd's launch window sales will even break 10000. These games deserve so much more but they are indeed huge time commitments.

Yeah, I think 3C will be horrible though likely a less severe retention hit from SC->3C than we saw for FC->SC.

That said, I think the mere presence of SC and 3C on Steam helps boost FC. Consumers like having a series is finished and completely available. Even if most will never get through FC, I think just knowing that the other two titles on the store help push people over that purchase hump.

FC continues to see nice bumps as well.

Trago

I think a big takeaway here is that day and date quality ports do well for the most part.

This is great, hopefully one day all of this big Japanese publishers follow this mindset.

Violet_0

Banned
one of these days, we're getting a Valkryia Chronicles sequel, right? And I don't mean the PSP games, forget about those

Ascheroth

oh, that's cool
haven't heard about Valkyria Revolution either, for whatver reason PC isn't among the list of platforms but with Sega and Deep Silver as publishers there's a pretty good chance we won't miss out
e: wait, the release date is January 19 2017 already. Why does Japan hate PC gamers so much

Valkyria Chronicles has 900k owners on Steam.
Valkyria Revolution gets announced for XBox, which hasn't had a single Valkyria game to date, but not for PC.
Classic Sega.

kswiston

Not that surprising to be honest. Popular games with good word of mouth will get good sales.

I think it's impressive given how late it was (and the relatively high price compared to other late FF ports). Then again, Final Fantasy X is probably the second or third most popular game in the series.

Beth Cyra

I think it's impressive given how late it was (and the relatively high price compared to other late FF ports). Then again, Final Fantasy X is probably the second or third most popular game in the series.
At this point it's pretty easy to say X is only behind VII.

kswiston

At this point it's pretty easy to say X is only behind VII.

Ya. I'm curious to know how the remaster did as a whole across its 4 platforms.

I am also curious to see how FFXII does. Especially if S-E smartens up and tries a simultaneous PS4/PC launch.

Top Bottom