• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A huge purchase is imminent within 1 month from now

demonstr8

yurinka

That would be the worst case scenario for Xbox gamers, but Sony has a capital alliance with Kadokawa. I would be surprised if they weren't developed exclusively
No, the worst case scenario for Xbox gamers would be to make Knack 3 Xbox exclusive to make it the only next gen console exclusive available until 2023 or so.

Have any other "insiders" commented on the supposed huge Microsoft acquisition, or is it just bullshit?
Every few weeks there is a new bullshit fake rumor to build hype out of nothing. Very likely it's bullshit. #SwitchPro

Last edited:

TheGrat1

Why do you people keep falling for this? Do you like the abuse?

5nkgdx.gif

Perrott

Gold Member
Every few weeks there is a new bullshit fake rumor to build hype out of nothing. Very likely it's bullshit. #SwitchPro
Hmmm, well, I cannot comment on Karak's information or the teases by the various Xbox ""insiders"", but I can tell you that this whole situation is pretty much a case of "where there's smoke, there's fire" because Microsoft is certainly looking at making another huge move, a publisher-sized move, behind the scenes. That's what I know; and on a personal note, I have to say that I'm pretty worried, because I don't think it would be Valve (which would be least damaging scenario) we're talking about here...

... oh and the Switch Pro wasn't bullshit, not at all.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

yurinka

Hmmm, well, I cannot comment on Karak's information or the teases by the various Xbox ""insiders"", but I can tell you that this whole situation is pretty much a case of "where there's smoke, there's fire" because Microsoft is certainly looking at making another huge move, a publisher-sized move, behind the scenes. That's what I know; and on a personal note, I have to say that I'm pretty worried, because I don't think it would be Valve (which would be least damaging scenario) we're talking about here...

To spend Billioins to buy a huge corporation isn't like to buy a burger. It requires a lot of time with negotiations and paperwork. And this is in the case they find someone they want to acquire and the other ones want and can sell. Maybe MS wants to acquire but they don't find someone appealing available for years, or aren't allowed to make another big investment until they recoup part of the insane amount of money they recently spent on acquisitions and that are investing on Gamepass.

Yes, the Switch Pro never existed and never will exist. If Switch lifes for another 4 years or so means that in a couple of years or so they will release its successor, a "Switch 2" with the 4K visuals people were expecting for a Switch Pro. They wouldn't release a Switch Pro for only a year or two, it doesn't make sense.

This 'MS will buy someone next Wednesday' will only cause dissapointment, like the fake Switch Pro rumors and the 'Abandoned is the second coming of Jesuscrist' conspiracy theories. Square, Capcom, Sega, Konami, Activision, Take 2, Valve, Ubisoft or EA have zero reasons to sell now, they have a lot of money and are making a lot of money. And if they sell I highly doubt it would be to lose one of their main markets, specially their main one: PlayStation. Before that they'd sell to someone else that would allow them to keep their main markets.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
To spend Billioins to buy a huge corporation isn't like to buy a burger. It requires a lot of time with negotiations and paperwork. And this is in the case they find someone they want to acquire and the other ones want and can sell. Maybe MS wants to acquire but they don't find someone appealing available for years, or aren't allowed to make another big investment until they recoup part of the insane amount of money they recently spent on acquisitions and that are investing on Gamepass.
That's why I've said that MS is looking at making certain moves, not that they are going to acquire X, Y & Z on Wednesday because I haven't heard anything along those lines. All these Xbox insiders who are acting as if some sort of acquisition was inminent may be 100% full of shit, I'm not arguing about that, but that MS is still persuing publisher-sized acquisitions remains a fact.
Yes, the Switch Pro never existed and never will exist. If Switch lifes for another 4 years or so means that in a couple of years or so they will release its successor, a "Switch 2" with the 4K visuals people were expecting for a Switch Pro. They wouldn't release a Switch Pro for only a year or two, it doesn't make sense.
"Switch Pro never existed and never will exist" oh boy, this is not gonna age well at all...

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned

Unless it’s a Japanese publisher or Ubisoft, Sony will be fine. If ms gets say, take 2, it’d be a tremendous waste of money. You’d essentially be paying 30-40 billion for rockstar who can only make 1 game a generation and the director and lead writer of the gta games left the studio. GTA needs PlayStation just as much as PlayStation needs it to be the juggernaut that it is, taking away would hurt gta more than it’d help Xbox. Something would fill that void. In my opinion.

EA, WB, and take 2 to a lesser extent depend a lot on licensing IP. That could get messy if a new company took over, especially one not known for quality control like Microsoft.

I believe MS wants to acquire big names, I just don’t see whose realistic whose business is doing bad and also has a good relationship with Xbox at the moment.

ErRor88

I don’t think you can buy and sell stocks during an acquisition. Wouldn’t that be like the poster child definition of insider trading?

Not, sure... If it's real, we will find out soon as it's about 7 billion for EA stock and 9 for Take two.

Dabaus

Banned
Not, sure... If it's real, we will find out soon as it's about 7 billion for EA stock and 9 for Take two.
EA is worth a lot more than 7 billion and take 2 is worth a lot more than 9 billion.

Edit: Boomstick gaming and his crowd are the q anon of Xbox fandom in my opinion. That guy probably made that form up on his own based off of some of the insane conspiracy theories boom and and his crew promote. One guy allegedly sold his sock therefore MS is buying take 2 and ea…

Last edited:

Apeopleman

Sony won't acquire anyone....they are focused on disappointing their fans right now and Jim Ryan and Hermen have a few years left on this roadmap!
Lmao right now I gotta agree. After that last showcase and no Socom by Guerilla, no MGS 1-3 remake by blue point, no bloodborne 2/remaster

sony is holding out on us.

my guess for the acquisition is somebody buying square enix.

truth411

don't know but I can bet my account that Halo infinite will sell more than PS5 miles morales and rachet and clank combined ...what you think about it ?
This isn't 2007 anymore, you would loose that bet. Miles Morales is probably at around 10 million sold right now, RatchetnClank was well over a million at launch. Combined with Halo multiplayer being Free to play and the campaign is on gamepass, you would loose that bet.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
don't know but I can bet my account that Halo infinite will sell more than PS5 miles morales and rachet and clank combined ...what you think about it ?
I doubt it happens since Halo infinite will be available on gamepass, that would deal a massive blow on physical sales and also digital sales

Ozriel

M$FT

Don’t do it. Between Gamepass and MS decoupling multiplayer from the Campaign, you can bet Miles Morales will move a lot more retail sales than Infinite.

SaucyJack

I'm not sure if this is true, but it would be something...

EA and Take two

This is fucking nothing. An Internet moron who thinks that a routine filing is something more than it really is.

Board of directors have to file a form whenever their shareholding changes I.e. they buy, sell, get rewarded with their company's stock. That’s all this is. The amounts are trivial compared to the market cap of those companies.

SEC Form 4: Statement of Changes in Beneficial Ownership is a document that must be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) whenever there is a material change in the holdings of company insiders. Insiders consist of directors and officers of the company, as well as any shareholders, owning 10% or more of the company's outstanding stock. The forms ask about the reporting person's relationship to the company and about purchases and sales of such equity shares.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

EA is worth a lot more than 7 billion and take 2 is worth a lot more than 9 billion.

Edit: Boomstick gaming and his crowd are the q anon of Xbox fandom in my opinion. That guy probably made that form up on his own based off of some of the insane conspiracy theories boom and and his crew promote. One guy allegedly sold his sock therefore MS is buying take 2 and ea…

On market cap EA is currently $38 billion, Take 2 is $18 billion.

Acquisition price would be north of that.

DrAspirino

Banned
Does MS give sales numbers anymore?
They don't really care anymore. Under Satya Nadella, Microsoft releases subscription numbers, not individual sales. Just try to lookup Windows sales, Office sales, Xbox games sales and you'll find nothing. On the contrary, you'll very much see Office 365 subscriptions, Xbox Gamepass subscriptions, Azure servers subscriptions, etc.

Right now, they're in the subscription bussiness and they actively discourage individual software license.

skit_data

They don't really care anymore. Under Satya Nadella, Microsoft releases subscription numbers, not individual sales. Just try to lookup Windows sales, Office sales, Xbox games sales and you'll find nothing. On the contrary, you'll very much see Office 365 subscriptions, Xbox Gamepass subscriptions, Azure servers subscriptions, etc.

Right now, they're in the subscription bussiness and they actively discourage individual software license.
But they haven’t revealed Gamepass numbers recently AFAIK

DrAspirino

Banned
That 23 million is unofficial... wouldn't take a fanboy like Jez seriously.
True. I'd rather hear from Satya himself (or even Phil Spencer) than from a 3rd party fanboy, but those are currently the numbers we have =/
Well, what about Q3 and Q4? Those are the ones I’m referring to.
No clue. They released a growth PPT though.

wB1BV9s.png

S9btqo3.png

(slide 12 has the info I mentioned).

Last edited:

yurinka

Last number I saw MM was at 6.5 million.
In this case yes, Miles Morales pretty likely will move more retail sales than Infinite. Maybe already sold more than the ones Infinite will ever sell.

I’m not sure people in glass houses should be throwing stones :)
? The other ones in half a year or so released Astro, Demon's Souls, Destruction All Starts, Returnal, Ratchet. Plus the FFVIIR Intergrade DLC or crossgen exclusives like Miles Morales, Sackboy, Guilty Gear Strive or the many timed exclusive indies.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Don’t do it. Between Gamepass and MS decoupling multiplayer from the Campaign, you can bet Miles Morales will move a lot more retail sales than Infinite.
miles morales isn't on steam
retail sales or gp subs are the same for Ms (subs are clearly more important than a sale) ..if during halo launch GP will see a big increase in subscriptions will surely be thanks to the game

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
So... watching the PPT slides on personal computing revenue, let's say they have around US$10 Bn to "play around". That seriously reduces the number of studios that they can purchase without getting into debt or using resources from other areas.

In that regard, we can discard Take2 (17.6 Bn), and EA (38.1 Bn). We have the following possibilities that are affordable "cash on hand" by Microsoft:
  • Ubisoft, which has a market cap of US$6.7 Bn
  • Warner Bros Interactive (US$ 4 Bn market cap)
  • Valve (valued at near US$10 Bn), though this one would be tricky to explain to investors, and SEC.
  • SEGA Sammy (which has a market cap of US$ 3.4 Bn)
Out of that list, the ones that makes most sense, from a bussiness standpoint, would be Sega or Warner, simply because of the amount of IPs they'd be getting for each dollar invested.

Especulating purchases bigger than those would be out of touch with reality, given the figures Microsoft released on their Q4 investors call.

I, for one, don't care if they purchase any of those companies or make arrangements with them, as long as I can get games from those companies day-one on GamePass (and would be even better if it's on PC).

Last edited:
miles morales isn't on steam
retail sales or gp subs are the same for Ms (subs are clearly more important than a sale) ..if during halo launch GP will see a big increase in subscriptions will surely be thanks to the game

Retail sales are you bet. Halo Infinite has to sell at least 8 million by August

Don't be backtracking on sub numbers.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
This is the monster Microsoft created, a cult obsessed with a subscription services and Corporate consolidation. Microsoft is making their fans, to the extent they exist and aren’t paid and bought for influencers, insane. These nonstop out right lies every single day from “trusted influencers” promising utopia is just beyond the horizon, for nothing of substance to materialize. Almost everday or every week is some new insane rumor or acquisition that isn’t going to happen but these influencers never walk these people back from the cliff because Microsoft NEEDS these true believers. It doesn’t matter if they’re being lied to day in day out, thanks for the 15 bucks a month, sucker.

That Sony show was a cold hard reminder of what reality is like on the other side. And now the cult ms and their influencers have created cannot accept it. They’ve driven their fan base literally insane and I think it’s going to get worse for them.

O4FlASE.jpg

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
A bit funny given the Abandoned stuff this year.
On boomstick/double barrel gaming most recent show he literally said the MS signed a huge deal on Thursday, they were typing up the press release right now, and wed hear about it Monday morning. He literally said that. He wasnt joking or playing around. This is what the xbox community is fed DAILY from people like him and others. Im not saying "Cult" for shock value or for attention, im saying cult because this is the same mentality cults have.

Last edited:
This is the monster Microsoft created, a cult obsessed with a subscription services and Corporate consolidation. Microsoft is making their fans, to the extent they exist and aren’t paid and bought for influencers, insane. These nonstop out right lies every single day from “trusted influencers” promising utopia is just beyond the horizon, for nothing of substance to materialize. Almost everday or every week is some new insane rumor or acquisition that isn’t going to happen but these influencers never walk these people back from the cliff because Microsoft NEEDS these true believers. It doesn’t matter if they’re being lied to day in day out, thanks for the 15 bucks a month, sucker.

That Sony show was a cold hard reminder of what reality is like on the other side. And now the cult ms and their influencers have created cannot accept it. They’ve driven their fan base literally insane and I think it’s going to get worse for them.

O4FlASE.jpg

Not everyone is like this , some simply take their money elsewhere. From my own perspective I think whatever goes on with the company, the people you describe such the more outspoken , has made following the brand, the news and so on, very boring at times, really dull. Particularly compared to the 360 days where i felt there was genuine excitement and progression from what came before.

There are superb Xbox fans , some on this forum who still I don’t agree with at times but are at least reasonable to talk to.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I'm not sure if this is true, but it would be something...

EA and Take two

It looks like this guy is just posting about them selling stock? Makes sense because the markets are going down hard, and the big boys always know about that beforehand.

reksveks

On boomstick/double barrel gaming most recent show he literally said the MS signed a huge deal on Thursday, they were typing up the press release right now, and wed hear about it Monday morning. He literally said that. He wasnt joking or playing around. This is what the xbox community is fed DAILY from people like him and others. Im not saying "Cult" for shock value or for attention, im saying cult because this is the same mentality cults have.

A section of the xbox community. The same way that a section of the sony community is getting rumours about a weird countdown in Kojima's photos.

There are a weird number of 'cults' around all companies nowadays, not sure it's particularly new or unique which I don't think you are arguing, right?

I just ignore those guys on twitter then same way I ignore the ps cults leaders but ehh, I don't find it that unique.

Top Bottom