• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A huge purchase is imminent within 1 month from now

Yoboman

Well, first off they should make their own offer on TTwo, even if they don't ultimately win...at least to jack up the price and make it less feasible for others.

IMO they should have already bought Square or Capcom and I really do not understand why they are so so so unwilling to buy big premium things with their money.
Do they think Final Fantasy or Tomb Raider or Street Fighter or Monster Hunter will suddenly become worthless or something?

To me the management at Sony is super frustrating and they seem to bury their heads and pretend everything is just great, when it obviously isn't. When one of the biggest companies in the world is basically with the knives out, trying to crush them in gaming and then Kenichiro Yoshida goes to meet them smiling like an idiot trying to do some deal....

Sony should at least buy some one or two big publishers so they can bring them to the table if they have to negotiate to keep some big franchises coming to PlayStation in the future.
Maybe getting billions of dollars for an acquisition from a giant slow moving company like Sony isn't that easy?

I've always got the impression from Sony they look down on the gaming division, despite it being the money maker for the whole company.

Let them buy all the companies they want. They can buy companies. They can own IPs. The talent that makes those games be worth shit they can't force to stay working for them. Why isn't Bungie devs still with them? Sure they opened their checkbooks and offered crowns and thrones. Ooh that's right. There are some things money can't buy.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Square makes no sense, there is no danger of MS picking them up and Sony already has a great relationship with them without having to take on the over 5000 employees they have, that's twice as many as Zenimax/Bethesda. IF Sony makes anymore acquisitions it should be developers not publishers, maybe buy some dormant IP like Castlevania from Konami but publishers are too big and unless it's something like Take two where GTA would almost make the money back on it's own at some point it's too much. Xbox has all that money coming in from Windows, Office and other MS services to back it up if Phil had to depend on the money that Xbox brings in he'd be out of a job but because they are a huge company that is basically unopposed in several parts of it's business he can just spend money made from other departments. Sony doesn't have that luxury, PlayStation is where they make most of their money, if they overextend there and things don't go just right they have no other way to make up for it.

Publishers lose so much of their value when you buy them and make their games exclusive, you are never going to bring the majority of people over from the other ecosystem so unless they have a property like GTA or Fortnite it just doesn't make sense.

Yeah PlayStation make about 30% of Sony's profits..... but if they lose market share and customers due to refusing to invest and compete...then they will not be making anywhere near that.

But Jim's vision has always been leading them down the wrong way...sheer ignorance and hubris at the forefront, putting games on PC and not valuing the exclusives and model that put them on top, nickle and dime-ing customers with upgrades and a next gen tax.... shutting down Japan and manchester. Trying to shut down the PS3 and Vita stores.....

All the money they make and what do we get? Nixxes? Why doesn't Jim just come by my house and give me a kick in the balls instead? like... really?

This is nothing more than a blue xbox.....

With more focus put on mobile, PC and streaming than the business that put them on top.... consoles.

I'm by no means an expert of USA law but reading the law it says that bids can be made public after agreeing on the merger. This is done to avoid the stock price raising.

See the "Announcing the bid" and "Limited duty to disclose negotiations" sections here: https://content.next.westlaw.com/2-...(sc.Default)&firstPage=true#co_anchor_a660764

It explicitly says "Once a merger agreement has been executed, the bidder and target issue a press release announcing the agreement" (so no need to announce it before agreeing on the merger) and "A company does not have a general duty to disclose material non-public facts or corporate developments, including the existence of merger negotiations"

I think you're misunderstanding the details in the link you provided.

The stated "merger agreement" is not the agreement of the offer and close of sale/merger. It clearly cannot be, when the actual bid, i.e. offer follows and then after that negotiations.

So yeah, the offer will come alongside the public announcement in the majority of cases.

Bryank75

Banned
Maybe getting billions of dollars for an acquisition from a giant slow moving company like Sony isn't that easy?

I've always got the impression from Sony they look down on the gaming division, despite it being the money maker for the whole company.
Yeah, could be a lot of truth to that.

I think they feel like they are not taken seriously or something. They want to be legitimized... become something serious like a big finance company or medical / sensor /tech company.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah PlayStation make about 30% of Sony's profits..... but if they lose market share and customers due to refusing to invest and compete...then they will not be making anywhere near that.

But Jim's vision has always been leading them down the wrong way...sheer ignorance and hubris at the forefront, putting games on PC and not valuing the exclusives and model that put them on top, nickle and dime-ing customers with upgrades and a next gen tax.... shutting down Japan and manchester. Trying to shut down the PS3 and Vita stores.....

All the money they make and what do we get? Nixxes? Why doesn't Jim just come by my house and give me a kick in the balls instead? like... really?

This is nothing more than a blue xbox.....

With more focus put on mobile, PC and streaming than the business that put them on top.... consoles.

Bryank75 I like you, i really do I think your fun to discuss things with. But at this point I feel you have to be trolling. A lot of the things that are in place were in place with Shawn layden. And putting older PS titles on PC is straight up cash that funds more games from their developers. Just wait my friend I promise December you might look at good old Jimbo in a different light.

Though he has some bad takes, he is a businessman and takes criticism and from what I know is not the main one calling the shots in terms of how things get green lit. Thats Herman now. If he wants to green light a project I think herman can get it done and run it by Jim without issue. Jim sees the numbers coming from Japanese titles like FF7R, he's not an idiot.

With herman running the games, I honestly think thats one avenue Im not worried about. Regardless if some of them after their initial PS5 release make it to PC at some point.

Last edited:

zedinen

Indeed. But it is a strawman when you just make shit up to provoke an argument. Which is what you actually did.

There is an alternate interpretation - which is that you are actually so dumb that you genuinely thought that you learned that Sony is dominating Japan from this forum.

Japan and the Japanese industry are two different things, my dude. In other words:

1. PlayStation is the largest source of revenue for Japanese publishers (Square-Enix, Capcom, Bandai-Namco, Sega-Sammy, Koei-Tecmo, etc)
Example: Capcom

C6Psy9x.jpeg

2. PlayStation is the main platform for the bulk of the japanese industry (FF, RE, DQ, MH, PES, Tales, Persona, Yakuza, Nioh, Ni No Kuni, Ys, LoH ...)

3. Japan accounts for 11% of their sales. Japanese publishers make decisions based on North America and Europe.

Square-Enix (Unit sales 49.90 m / Japan 13%)

gukedrK.jpg

Sega Sammy (Unit sales 41.77 m /Japan 4%)

rXSTY6k.jpeg

Bandai Namco (Unit sales 41.49 m / Japan 8%)

rzdf2q3.jpeg

Capcom (Unit Sales 30.10m / Japan 19%)

LAHQfzG.jpg

Bryank75

Banned
Bryank75 I like you, i really do I think your fun to discuss things with. But at this point I feel you have to be trolling. A lot of the things that are in place were in place with Shawn layden. And putting older PS titles on PC is straight up cash that funds more games from their developers. Just wait my friend I promise December you might look at good old Jimbo in a different light.

Though he has some bad takes, he is a businessman and takes criticism and from what I know is not the main one calling the shots in terms of how things get green lit. Thats Herman now. If he wants to green light a project I think herman can get it done and run it by Jim without issue. Jim sees the numbers coming from Japanese titles like FF7R, he's not an idiot.

With herman running the games, I honestly think thats one avenue Im not worried about. Regardless if some of them after their initial PS5 release make it to PC at some point.

Yeah... we'll see.

I can wait till December. Dunno what it will change though.

If it's a PS version of GP...that aint it. I dont give 2 shits about services like that.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

I wonder if people realize that there’s no way random Twitter ‘insiders’ would know about any deal being hashed out at high levels

Nonsense. Phil Spencer is an EVP at Microsoft and is at the highest table. If Xbox isn’t hitting their performance targets, Spencer will fire someone under him. That’s how it works.

because the man plays Destiny and replies to your asses on Twitter, you folks forget he’s just one step behind Satya in the Microsoft hierarchy.

And FYI, Don Mattrick never reached Spencer’s level at Microsoft.

That is categorically not how it works.

Anyone and everyone has their arse on the line if they don’t perform to expectations, including Nadella. Do you not remember Ballmer?

SaucyJack

Japan and the Japanese industry are two different things, my dude. In other words:

1. PlayStation is the largest source of revenue for Japanese publishers (Square-Enix, Capcom, Bandai-Namco, Sega-Sammy, Koei-Tecmo, etc)
Example: Capcom

C6Psy9x.jpeg

2. PlayStation is the main platform for the bulk of the japanese industry (FF, RE, DQ, MH, PES, Tales, Persona, Yakuza, Nioh, Ni No Kuni, Ys, LoH ...)

3. Japan accounts for 11% of their sales. Japanese publishers make decisions based on North America and Europe.

Square-Enix (Unit sales 49.90 m / Japan 13%)

gukedrK.jpg

Sega Sammy (Unit sales 41.77 m /Japan 4%)

rXSTY6k.jpeg

Bandai Namco (Unit sales 41.49 m / Japan 8%)

rzdf2q3.jpeg

Capcom (Unit Sales 30.10m / Japan 19%)

LAHQfzG.jpg

All very interesting but I think you’ve completely misunderstood the argument that was occurring.

kuncol02

Banned
Feel free to explain the 30 billion dollar gap then. I know rent is high but not that high lmao. Also by calculating $10k per month per employee it's implied that all the other costs are already included. Most employees cost much less than $10k.
Remaining money is in journalists bribing budget. \s

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah... we'll see.

If it's a PS version of GP...that aint it. I dont give 2 shits about services like that.

No, it's going to be something different. But What I can tell you is Sony with held a bunch of stuff. Some of it because of other factors outside of covid. As in some big personalities in gaming wanted to reveal some things for a specific event/show. The other is they are going to have a blow out in December to cap off the year and get people pumped for the new year.

Which is why this year they acknowledged PSVR2 and showed the controllers. Team asobi was beefed up last year and into this year. They are working on something really cool and it is VR related. But mainly a lot of things that people got wind of and some that were leaked by capcom, and then nvidia will be at this show. Some of them.

By December Sony will have 2022 before new years in the worth of announcements and what they show. People that have been quiet like some people in Japan because of heavy lock downs will actually have updates to things leaked earlier this year. And im not talking anything Konami or Square.

Bryank75

Banned
No, it's going to be something different. But What I can tell you is Sony with held a bunch of stuff. Some of it because of other factors outside of covid. As in some big personalities in gaming wanted to reveal some things for a specific event/show. The other is they are going to have a blow out in December to cap off the year and get people pumped for the new year.

Which is why this year they acknowledged PSVR2 and showed the controllers. Team asobi was beefed up last year and into this year. They are working on something really cool and it is VR related. But mainly a lot of things that people got wind of and some that were leaked by capcom, and then nvidia will be at this show. Some of them.

By December Sony will have 2022 before new years in the worth of announcements and what they show. People that have been quiet like some people in Japan because of heavy lock downs will actually have updates to things leaked earlier this year. And im not talking anything Konami or Square.

Well, I hope this is legit cause it has me a little more hopeful.

Would still be terrible to lose another publisher or big studio to this endless acquisitions stuff.

Papacheeks

Banned

Would still be terrible to lose another publisher or big studio to this endless acquisitions stuff.

In my opinion I think what Microsoft is doing may pay off for them. But The thing is all of this buying spree is contingent on growth sector. And the biggest elephant in the room was shown last week at PS showcase. People trust Sony, and they have an amazing track record with everything they produce and most of the games they do deals with.

PS is focused on quality, Microsoft wants you to sub for a all you can eat buffet where the food may not hit all the time.

My main issue is Microsoft has shown incapable of managing the current legacy studios they own currently. 343, rare have problems. State of decay team I dont think are ready for something at the scale that MS is pressuring them with. I think the Insomniac of Xbox is Obsidian, and Playground. Expect to see Obsidian game before I see anything from anyone else.

If you grew up with Playstation in PS1 days, December will be your month.

Last edited:
Eyeball emotes and shifty eye gifs for a week
We're in the next phase where they say "oh I'm so sick of the words acquisition"
It's always from the same 5 or 6 people.

Bryank75

Banned
In my opinion I think what Microsoft is doing may pay off for them. But The thing is all of this buying spree is contingent on growth sector. And the biggest elephant in the room was shown last week at PS showcase. People trust Sony, and they have an amazing track record with everything they produce and most of the games they do deals with.

PS is focused on quality, Microsoft wants you to sub for a all you can eat buffet where the food may not hit all the time.

My main issue is Microsoft has shown incapable of managing the current legacy studios they own currently. 343, rare have problems. State of decay team I dont think are ready for something at the scale that MS is pressuring them with. I think the Insomniac of Xbox is Obsidian, and Playground. Expect to see Obsidian game before I see anything from anyone else.

If you grew up with Playstation in PS1 days, December will be your month.

Well that is a large part of what I feel frustrated about with MSFT.... buying up studios just to eventually have them fail?
They will then keep the IP's and never do anything again with them?
Whole companies destroyed just to try some model that was obviously extremely risky.

We already see Obsidian, Ninja Theory and others kinda deteriorating besides 343's poor performance...
Will they all be shutdown? Or allowed to limp on, making little to nothing...

Then I see all these people cheerleading this, a kinda attitude like these companies are disposable and taking games away from people is acceptable as long as it feeds even a tiny amount of temporary growth for one company that doesn't even make money in the industry.

The achievement rates on the games on gamepass seem to show an audience that doesn't really appreciate the games and are just in it as a kind of corporate sport.

Perrott

Gold Member

Microsoft may be working towards pulling some massive moves in the West, but Sony has been and is doing a great job at strenghtening their relationship with the biggest traditional Japanese videogame publishing houses, and in some cases they're going beyond that, looking into putting a ring to some of them.

So chill out man, don't stress yourself out over Sony's "quietness" at the moment, their future and upcoming games lineup has not looked brightest than now in their entire history. Quality and quantity are at their peak, regardless of the moves being pulled off by their competition.

Papacheeks

Banned
Microsoft may be working towards pulling some massive moves in the West, but Sony has been and is doing a great job at strenghtening their relationship with the biggest traditional Japanese videogame publishing houses, and in some cases they're going beyond that, looking into putting a ring to some of them.

So chill out man, don't stress yourself out over Sony's "quietness" at the moment, their future and upcoming games lineup has not looked brightest than now in their entire history. Quality and quantity are at their peak, regardless of the moves being pulled off by their competition.

Yea, I mean everyone bitched that Sony was too quiet, Yet the last 10 minutes of the 40 minute showcase literally is what everyone is talking about. Forspoken is being talked about a lot and so is Project eve which is great. It shows sony cares about asian markets, but puts a spotlight on Japan, Kora, China.

I really hope Im totally wrong on Microsoft's managing abilities with Software. But its hard not see all the red flags.

reksveks

The achievement rates on the games on gamepass
When you havent spent 60 dollars on a game, you have less incentive to finish it for the sake of it or to retrieve some 'value'.

It doesn't mean much, there is no right or wrong way to consume media.

Papacheeks

Banned
When you havent spent 60 dollars on a game, you have less incentive to finish it for the sake of it or to retrieve some 'value'.

It doesn't mean much, there is no right or wrong way to consume media.

Not finishing the game means your are less likely to pick up another title from said developer or it's sequel.

Which is why Sony has data on completion of their games like spiderman, ghost, god of war.

ZehDon

Why would they have a “blow out” in December, given the show we just had?
September was supposed to be the big blow out to swing back at Xbox… and the best we got was a very cross gen looking God of War. If you want “wait for September” to turn into “wait for December” then you run the risk of Sony becoming Microsoft last gen: just wait for the next E3, just wait for the next E3.
How many “blow outs” do you expect them to have?

I’d expect the big announcement in December will be The Last of Us Remake to launch alongside the HBO TV show, and a first look at the multiplayer only TLOU title. They’ll save everything else for next years shows.

reksveks

Also obsidian declining? Based off Grounded which has a 88% positive rating on Steam or something else.

Not finishing the game means your are less likely to pick up another title from said developer or it's sequel.

Which is why Sony has data on completion of their games like spiderman, ghost, god of war.
If you weren't going to pick up the first game cause you didn't want to spend 60 quid on it, then you weren't likely to pick up the sequel. We are all forgetting the denominator when we talk about these completion rates? If you are reaching an audience whom is trying a new genre for the first, unsurprisingly the % of users whom complete that game is going to be lower. If your numerator increases that's probably more important.

JWhy would they have a “blow out” in December, given the show we just had?
September was supposed to be the big blow out to swing back at Xbox… and the best we got was a very cross gen looking God of War. If you want “wait for September” to turn into “wait for December” then you run the risk of Sony becoming Microsoft last gen: just wait for the next E3, just wait for the next E3.

I’d expect the big announcement in December will be The Last of Us Remake to launch alongside the HBO TV show, and a first look at the multiplayer only TLOU title. They’ll save everything else for next years shows.
I agree. They had a great showing. And they're pretty much set for 2022. I mean, they were pretty much set without even announcing any new stuff, seriously. I look at their whole PS4 library, which is also available on PS5, all that stuff isn't going anywhere. Just this month Ghost of Tsushima top the charts on the strength of the DC edition but it isn't like Sony is in need of system sellers. They have a whole library of those. It isn't like all people have played through all the major PS4 hits, let alone what's already new and hot for PS5 or recent cross-gen titles.

The PS5 is outselling Xbox Series 2:1. They're set. They have Horizon FW, Forspoken, GT7, GowR, and also likely to get Final Fantasy XVI next year. That's all big. And that's not all the exclusives for 2022. Microsoft has been forced to go all out since last year showcasing stuff that's lightyears away just to make their library look competitive, but the truth remains they're a whole year with *nothing* and will be getting their first games in the last quarter of this year.

Sony just released DeathLoop, timed exclusive or not, it's one more exclusive they have on PS5 to add to the other 5 or 6 they have released since launch last year, and there's still some more coming. But they didn't have a barren library to start off the generation. They don't have a content problem, and won't have it in the foreseeable future. Now Xbox, on the other hand, what are their big games for 2022 to stop Playstation whooping its ass 2:1? Stalker 2? Red Fall? Whelp. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I agree. They had a great showing. And they're pretty much set for 2022. I mean, they were pretty much set without even announcing any new stuff, seriously. I look at their whole PS4 library, which is also available on PS5, all that stuff isn't going anywhere. Just this month Ghost of Tsushima top the charts on the strength of the DC edition but it isn't like Sony is in need of system sellers. They have a whole library of those. It isn't like all people have played through all the major PS4 hits, let alone what's already new and hot for PS5 or recent cross-gen titles.

The PS5 is outselling Xbox Series 2:1. They're set. They have Horizon FW, Forspoken, GT7, GowR, and also likely to get Final Fantasy XVI next year. That's all big. And that's not all the exclusives for 2022. Microsoft has been forced to go all out since last year showcasing stuff that's lightyears away just to make their library look competitive, but the truth remains they're a whole year with *nothing* and will be getting their first games in the last quarter of this year.

Sony just released DeathLoop, timed exclusive or not, it's one more exclusive they have on PS5 to add to the other 5 or 6 they have released since launch last year, and there's still some more coming. But they didn't have a barren library to start off the generation. They don't have a content problem, and won't have it in the foreseeable future. Now Xbox, on the other hand, what are their big games for 2022 to stop Playstation whooping its ass 2:1? Stalker 2? Red Fall? Whelp. Good luck with that.

It's one thing to indulge in light hearted console warring. But posting so much pathetic FUD simply because of $499 is quite troubling.

It's going to be a looooong gen for you.

On the subject of LinkedIn ……..

Not to derail this thread but I highly doubt the only purpose of buying LinkedIn was to get a huge ROI from its subscriptions alone. A majority of Microsoft's revenue is from business to business sales. Azure, Windows, Office 365, etc...... If you want data on businesses, who the decisionmakers in corporations are, and an ability to push advertising about your brands to those people then you could not have picked a better platform.

Hezekiah

Banned
Based on Psychonauts 2, a bonafide game of the year candidate.
Based on Wasteland 3, another game of the year worthy release.
Obsidian's output has been stellar since the acquisition.

Deathloop is an amazing game, another game of the year contender as well from Xbox first party studio. Yea, they literally JUST got them, but why would Microsoft change anything about what they're doing when they're giving all their studios full freedom to make what they want?

Redfall is shaping up to be a lot more ambitious than many thought, as of release date next year it will have been in development for 5 years. Game sounds super ambitious.

Look at what Playground Games is doing with Forza Horizon 5, and what they've been doing since Xbox picked them up? They've been incredible.

The evidence of what a good job they're doing is all over the place.
Psychonauts sounds like it has flopped. Shame as it's apparently a good game, but it does place extra pressure on the devs for their next game.

Wasteland 3 GoTY? Let's be real here. But good AA game.

Redfall - well the views on here were very negative to it's initial showing. Not sure how it's going to turn out to be honest. Need to see more gameplay, but could be anything really.

Forza looks good, will probably buy that.

The worries are with the likes of 343i blowing a massive amount of money on Halo Infinite, and struggling to get the game out despite a one year delay.

Then there's Everwild and the development hell it seems to be in.

In terms of Helblade, State of Decay, Avowed, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yeah... we'll see.

What’s supposed to happen in December?

Papacheeks

Banned
What’s supposed to happen in December?

TGS, GAME AWARDS, and PSX unless Sony partners with Game awards and does a collab? But all eyes point to Sony making some announcements at Game awards followed by a end of the year sizzle of things to come for 2022. Expect PSVR to be teased or shown, expect certain someone who has been absent most of the year in Japan to make some waves.

I'll give you a hint, they have a Yellow and Blue logo

Why would they have a “blow out” in December, given the show we just had?

I mean in terms of Japanese presence. Notice only like 2 titles were shown that were from Japanese company and honestly only one of them was made by a Japan studio which was Forspoken. I've heard SONY was forced earlier in the year because of leaks to show in some capacity that PSVR 2 was real. Which they did with showing the controllers.

Team Asobi has beefed up and been hard at work for a PSVR2 title. Supposedly its interactive with or without VR? TGS is in December. And Japan had a shitty run this year with re-infection of covid making it difficult for everyone. So expect updates on some things going into 2022. I mean it's september where is anything from a certain Japanese Publisher who had 2 big titles released this year?

They are not ready to show off one of their big games that recently restarted within the past year. But they have at least 2 that are far along enough to show.

Last edited:
TGS, GAME AWARDS, and PSX unless Sony partners with Game awards and does a collab? But all eyes point to Sony making some announcements at Game awards followed by a end of the year sizzle of things to come for 2022. Expect PSVR to be teased or shown, expect certain someone who has been absent most of the year in Japan to make some waves.

I mean in terms of Japanese presence. Notice only like 2 titles were shown that were from Japanese company and honestly only one of them was made by a Japan studio which was Guardians. I've heard SONY was forced earlier in the year because of leaks to show in some capacity that PSVR 2 was real. Which they did with showing the controllers.

Team Asobi has beefed up and been hard at work for a PSVR2 title. Supposedly its interactive with or without VR? TGS is in December. And Japan had a shitty run this year with re-infection of covid making it difficult for everyone. So expect updates on some things going into 2022. I mean it's september where is anything from a certain Japanese Publisher who had 2 big titles released this year?

They are not ready to show off one of their big games that recently restarted within the past year. But they have at least 2 that are far along enough to show.
Forspoken is more or less japanese, isn't it? And well, they also have GT7 from Polyphony.

Woopah

I mean in terms of Japanese presence. Notice only like 2 titles were shown that were from Japanese company and honestly only one of them was made by a Japan studio which was Guardians. I've heard SONY was forced earlier in the year because of leaks to show in some capacity that PSVR 2 was real. Which they did with showing the controllers.

Capcom could announce games at TGS or next Direct. It doesn't have to be at a PlayStation event.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Let them buy all the companies they want. They can buy companies. They can own IPs. The talent that makes those games be worth shit they can't force to stay working for them. Why isn't Bungie devs still with them? Sure they opened their checkbooks and offered crowns and thrones. Ooh that's right. There are some things money can't buy.
Atleast Bungie is still there. There competition has closed way more studios then them.
They can buy companies. They can own IPs.The talent that makes those games be worth shit they can't force to stay working for them. ... There are some things money can't buy.
You do love your fanfics, where everyone will magicall leave XGS to respect some forum dwellers whims.

Papacheeks

Banned
Forspoken is more or less japanese, isn't it? And well, they also have GT7 from Polyphony.

Yea I meant forspoken since Guardians is done by western team.

Capcom could announce games at TGS or next Direct. It doesn't have to be at a PlayStation event.

True and I expect some things for TGS, but I do know Capcom has at least 3-4 titles that are PS exclusive. 2 of them are timed, and one is probably going to have a longer exclusivity than 1 year because of Evo being owned by Sony. One of them is a action game, one is a fighting game, we know about progmata but I dont think that has a exclusivity.

There is a sequel to monster hunter world in the works and has been for some time by different team than Switch team.

Capcom has a lot they are working on but re-structuring and covid really kicked the shit out of them. I know of at least 2 projects that restarted.

Last edited:
Psychonauts sounds like it has flopped. Shame as it's apparently a good game, but it does place extra pressure on the devs for their next game.

Redfall - well the views on here were very negative to it's initial showing. Not sure how it's going to turn out to be honest. Need to see more gameplay, but could be anything really.

The worries are with the likes of 343i blowing a massive amount of money on Halo Infinite, and struggling to get the game out despite a one year delay.

In terms of Helblade, State of Decay, Avowed, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Shows you haven't played Wasteland 3. It's one of the best games released in years. It's an incredible game, but you'd know that if you tried it.

On 343, how do you know they've blown any money? Everwild is in development hell based on what exactly? Making changes or adjustments to plans doesn't mean development hell. God of War 2018, for example, quite literally had the full development team in revolt and disagreeing with the director's direction. Kratos' son was taken out like 3 to 4 times. It's called the development process.

Many negative views on here to redfall's initial showing literally centered on the fact that there was a black girl in the damn trailer... I don't know what you are talking about there. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Psychonauts 2 is an incredible game. No, it doesn't place any pressure on their next game at all. That's the beauty of the game pass model. It's one more of many reasons for why people will stick around and play games on Xbox. It's okay for it to not have the draw of a Halo, a Starfield, or a Elder Scrolls 6. Many Xbox gamers have been playing and enjoying it, and for some who aren't, they're just finishing off the games they're already playing.

Psychonauts was also an existing contract and commitment the team had before Microsoft ever acquired them. Microsoft's funding just allowed them to make the game even bigger and better. This isn't even the big AAA Microsoft has already greenlit for their first big new project under Xbox. It seems many still don't understand that with the Xbox Game Pass business model, it takes pressure off Microsoft's first party titles. They don't all have to drive massive subscribers. Some are the ones that drive more subscriptions, others are just the ones that keep people subscribed. Psychonauts 2 is a game that many people who are already firmly convinced by Game Pass will stick around to play. It's that good a game. Let the juggernauts do what they do best and push more people to it. Psychonauts never needed to be that game. Psychonauts shows Microsoft that Double Fine will knock that shit out of the park with a bigger budget, which is exactly what they'll get on their next project.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Feel free to explain the 30 billion dollar gap then. I know rent is high but not that high lmao. Also by calculating $10k per month per employee it's implied that all the other costs are already included. Most employees cost much less than $10k.
Bonuses, rewards, benefits, computer rigs, rent, tech development, game engines. Then actual game development cost: mo-caps, hiring musicians, actors, etc. Then overall division expenditures include server costs, making third-party timed-exclusivity deals, gamepass/ps+ deals, marketing expenditures, hardware cost, hardware RnD, hardware loss per unit, game publishing. I can go on and on.

You oversimplified it to "$10,000 per employee salary = total expenditures of Xbox" lol.

By your own account, you don't know what PlayStation spends $21.5 billion on. But, even without knowing, you want to claim that Xbox does not similar expenses.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I love how you could take this same ‘logic’ and use it to claim that MS would never buy Bethesda

Not everything is about short term revenue. Sometimes it’s about strategic positions. MS wanted to buy Discord for $10bn. You think Discord currently makes much money?
A large percentage of these expenses are incurred after buying Bethesda. So Xbox could buy Bethesda (that wasn't my point). My point is that it gets progressively more difficult to buy another "Bethesda" after purchasing Bethesda, unless they improve the revenue/profitability situation.

How did psychonauts flip? You don't know how well it performed until they put that "one million players on gamepass" thing they do for sea of thieves. the sale of the game isnt as important as raw sales. Forza will win racing game of the year no doubt, might be a goty contender. flight sim xbox has a 90 on meta critic, psychonauts 88, death loop 89...halo at worst will be 80 but still will have agiant player base...no matter how you slice it or FUD it theyre in a great position and will probably have their first goty in forever this year.

A large percentage of these expenses are incurred after buying Bethesda. So Xbox could buy Bethesda (that wasn't my point). My point is that it gets progressively more difficult to buy another "Bethesda" after purchasing Bethesda, unless they improve the revenue/profitability situation.

The thing about this is who says that any of this needs to come at an immediately clear point in time? Sometimes companies gladly buy something knowing it won't exactly lead to the biggest financial return now, in the short-term, or even after a 10-15 year timespan. But often what they do know and understand is that it will set them up strategically to have a foothold in a particular area they genuinely believe in, and the potential value of that is worth pursuing even when it isn't immediately turning profit because the customers will see the value. Uber since its inception has been sustaining massive losses, often hurting their bottom line more so than it was helping their bottom line, but customers saw the value. And because those customers saw the value and slowly but surely kept coming, it became more and more worthwhile to keep around.

Sometimes what's better for the customer and not as good for the companies pockets can prove to be the better revenue/profitability situation. Microsoft doesn't need to outsell Sony in consoles or even in videogame sales. Their Game Pass model only needs to prove itself really popular with people who love videogames and keep growing in popularity as the quality of their releases and catalogue grows.

MonarchJT

Banned
Well that is a large part of what I feel frustrated about with MSFT.... buying up studios just to eventually have them fail?
They will then keep the IP's and never do anything again with them?
Whole companies destroyed just to try some model that was obviously extremely risky.

We already see Obsidian, Ninja Theory and others kinda deteriorating besides 343's poor performance...
Will they all be shutdown? Or allowed to limp on, making little to nothing...

Then I see all these people cheerleading this, a kinda attitude like these companies are disposable and taking games away from people is acceptable as long as it feeds even a tiny amount of temporary growth for one company that doesn't even make money in the industry.

The achievement rates on the games on gamepass seem to show an audience that doesn't really appreciate the games and are just in it as a kind of corporate sport.
deteriorating wut? lol

Top Bottom