• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

fVKTHUu.png

Is Halogaf dead? No, I Think We're Just Getting Started. Welcome to the Halogaf Community thread. Surprisingly, we have endured. So, take off your shoes, kick back, and enjoy some Halo. It's hard to believe that Halo Infinite is slated for December 8th and it won't be long until it's finally here. And oh how we have waited so long. Six years... Yes, six agonizingly long years. Now that we finally have some light at the end of the tunnel and things to talk about - jump in and join us in discussing all things pertaining to Halo and the Halo universe. HALO IS BACK

6CRdTRV.gif
6CRdTRV.gif
6CRdTRV.gif
6CRdTRV.gif
6CRdTRV.gif
6CRdTRV.gif
6CRdTRV.gif

JcTlrC3.png

Halo: Infinite is just around the corner!!

IGN's Everything We Know About Halo Infinite - Last Updated September 24, 2021

JcTlrC3.png

The Conflict:
(click on banner)

The Lore:
(click on banner)

TV/Internet Shows/Machinima:
xRlxZqp.png

Rise of the Spartans Youtube Page
Rooster Teeth Red Versus Blue Episodes

JcTlrC3.png

Other Links:

Old School Fan Site by the infamous Louis Wu:
http://halo.bungie.org/

Official 343 website for Halo:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us

Halopedia

Trip down Neogaf memory lane:
Halo 3 multiplayer screen shot thread
One of the original Halogaf threads?
Official Halo 3: ODST Thread
Original Halo: Reach |OT| Thread
Old Stinkles Interview about his thoughts on Halo
Original Halo 3 |OT| Thread
Original Halo 4 |OT| Thread
Original Halo 5 |OT| Thread
Halo Reach reveal multiplayer reveal thread

JcTlrC3.png

2015 Retrospective Videos on Halo (COGConnected):

JcTlrC3.png

The Master Chief Collection is the best collection of games ever made. Period.
eq2xJAK.png

Vn1rSaZ.png

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
Season 8

HCS GRASSROOTS:

Anyhoo, that's all I've got right now. It's really exciting to see people talking about Halo again. Thank you mods for permission to bring Halogaf back. To the rest of you, enjoy!

4bdJ8i8.gif
VB1Oisq.png

Last edited:
Great thread. I have only played Halo 1 and a bit of 2 so I won't have much to add to the thread but I'm glad Microsoft decided to give PCs some love with Infinite.
Thanks! Yeah for people who haven't played much of Halo, Infinite on PC will be a great opportunity. I'll try and add a section on Infinite at some point. Right now I feel like the OP is a little jumbled. I just threw a lot of info together really quickly. Trying to get some halo traffic going. I'll work on it.

Last edited:

link1201

Nice, OP. I am really am getting anxious for some new Halo news should be fun to see what they have come up with.

Sorry guys. I've been asleep all day. Working nights for one more week and then i'll be back on days.
Nice, OP. I am really am getting anxious for some new Halo news should be fun to see what they have come up with.
Thanks, and no doubt regarding a lack of Halo news! When MS said they weren't going to divulge game news so far in advance of game releases like they've done in the past, they weren't kidding. For as big of a game as Infinite is expected to be, it's crazy how little we know. I still suspect we won't know much else until 2019 E3, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
I'd pray for S Stinkles return but we'll never get that.
Losing Stinkles is sad, but he's a busy guy and Neogaf hasn't always been kind to him. I'm hoping some people will come back and at least post on both forums.

At some point I hope Frankie brings some epic updates on Infinite, even if it isn't here. We need some Frankie to the rescue.
lysDYXQ.jpg

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I had no idea that the tv show was in trouble. Live action Halo seems cursed! Its a shame because Forward Unto Dawn was pretty decent and gave us an idea for how good Halo could be if adapted well.

I really want to hear more about Halo Infinite and am disappointed that they aren't willing or able to show us more at this stage. I suppose they are doing my wallet a favour since a really good showing of the game now would probably induce enough hype that I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on a One X now.

J-Roderton

There's plenty of cool source material for live action Halo, but centering something around the Chief just doesn't work. We've never seen the dudes face.

The ODST stuff years back was tight, though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My 7-year-old son and I are playing through Halo: CE 360 version. My first time replaying it since the Xbox release. His first time playing it ever.

He groks the twin-stick controls pretty well since he's already accustomed to Minecraft, but darn if he needs to learn some of the nuances. He makes a good Warthog gunner but in firefights he's too skittish and doesn't hunt down enemies like he should.

J-Roderton

My 7-year-old son and I are playing through Halo: CE 360 version. My first time replaying it since the Xbox release. His first time playing it ever.

He groks the twin-stick controls pretty well since he's already accustomed to Minecraft, but darn if he needs to learn some of the nuances. He makes a good Warthog gunner but in firefights he's too skittish and doesn't hunt down enemies like he should.

Spartan in the making

link1201

"Exploration will be rewarded. "

Ohh the excitement builds. Really hope it's more than a linear campaign/story mode.

Is the social stream on now?

Aw man sorry everyone. I hate being on nights because i miss everything lol. Here is a replay of the stream:
https://mixer.com/Halo/mobile?vod=72517605

Not much new discussed about Infinite. Spartan customization will be more in line with Reach's system. So that is cool. Will have 4 player splitscreen - thought that was a given. Infinite coming out on console first then pc? Players who reached max level in halo 5 will get some kind of award in Infinite.

Edit: beaten

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Aw man sorry everyone. I hate being on nights because i miss everything lol. Here is a replay of the stream:
https://mixer.com/Halo/mobile?vod=72517605

Not much new discussed about Infinite. Spartan customization will be more in line with Reach's system. So that is cool. Will have 4 player splitscreen - thought that was a given. Infinite coming out on console first then pc? Players who reached max level in halo 5 will get some kind of award in Infinite.

Edit: beaten
I'm actually really surprised that they're getting 4 player split screen in. Thought it would have to be limited to 2. Could you even do 4 player split screen in Halo 3's campaign?

Halo Reach Customization being brought back is a billion jillion times better that Halo 5's customization though, so that has me absolutely pumped! Now just add some Legendary armor that can only be unlocked via epic feats and it will be *looooong kissing sound* MWAH! Perfection.

I understand that microtransactions have been a big help to 343 but I just don't like the business model at all. Even Fortnite which offers fairly decent microtransactions is just a better way to do something that sucks. I'd love to see 343 open up some kind of subscription system that would be like... I don't know $5 a month? If you subscribe to it you get access to behind the scenes content and early access to map packs which will eventually be made free. Something along those lines.

It'd just be nice to step away from all the online gambling bullshit.

Artistic Artistic sorry about last night. I think you sent me an invite and I was distracted by the match i was in. Probably better you didn't play with me last night, because i was throwing tantrums. Although you wouldn't have heard me since I still don't have a working headset/mic. I'll probably be on again tonight though.
I'm actually really surprised that they're getting 4 player split screen in. Thought it would have to be limited to 2. Could you even do 4 player split screen in Halo 3's campaign?

Halo Reach Customization being brought back is a billion jillion times better that Halo 5's customization though, so that has me absolutely pumped! Now just add some Legendary armor that can only be unlocked via epic feats and it will be *looooong kissing sound* MWAH! Perfection.

I understand that microtransactions have been a big help to 343 but I just don't like the business model at all. Even Fortnite which offers fairly decent microtransactions is just a better way to do something that sucks. I'd love to see 343 open up some kind of subscription system that would be like... I don't know $5 a month? If you subscribe to it you get access to behind the scenes content and early access to map packs which will eventually be made free. Something along those lines.

It'd just be nice to step away from all the online gambling bullshit.
Yep having better customization is gonna be a lot of fun. I can't remember how Halo 3 did split screen to be honest. I don't think 343 has specified whether that would be limited to multiplayer or also campaign. If i were betting, I'd put money on campaign being 2 player split screen with matchmaking being 4 players. Microtransactions are not my favorite, but I don't mind the way they were implemented in Halo 5. It was annoying not being able to choose what you unlocked, but at least in the end everything could be unlocked within a reasonable amount of time. If it brings in money that can be used to make new maps free and promote big tournaments i'll support it in some capacity.

II_JumPeR_I

I'd like to believe so! :D but it may be a slow process. If Infinite would just come out already that would help out a ton.
I mean Infinite needs to nail a lot...
I dont wanna see another garbage Halo game. Get rid of all this terrible gameplay mechanics. Back to basics and refine from there.

I mean Infinite needs to nail a lot...
I dont wanna see another garbage Halo game. Get rid of all this terrible gameplay mechanics. Back to basics and refine from there.
I don't know how 343 handles all the different things that fans want. Unfortunately, they started down the armor abilities path that Bungie started with Reach, so i don't know how they do a complete 180 and release a game without any abilities at all. On the flip side, I feel like they've had a chance to put two halo games out with abilities. Maybe now they're willing to dial it back and go more traditional game-play.

EDIT:
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/12/halo-3-was-the-last-great-halo-game/

As much as I miss traditional game-play, Halo 3 is not one of my favorite halo games.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I don't know how 343 handles all the different things that fans want. Unfortunately, they started down the armor abilities path that Bungie started with Reach, so i don't know how they do a complete 180 and release a game without any abilities at all. On the flip side, I feel like they've had a chance to put two halo games out with abilities. Maybe now they're willing to dial it back and go more traditional game-play.

EDIT:
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/12/halo-3-was-the-last-great-halo-game/

As much as I miss traditional game-play, Halo 3 is not one of my favorite halo games.

Not a bad write up there. I’m all in agreement with it being the last great Halo.

God, those bungie.net days with the community, the forums, the online slayer, etc stats. Not too mention the 4 player co op. What a damn fine era. I’ll never forget it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Halo Reach is my all time favorite Halo. Something about it just fit well with me and I loved every second of it. The only game of the series that I was able to get nearly every achievement for.

I would love to return to it, but Halo 5 really burned me on the series. Used to watch Red Vs Blue as well, but a lot of RT content has just failed to connect with me since I was a kid. Ever since people like Burnie became super rich and the community became so... sensitive. I missed the shit talking and dumbass nerd talk - but that seems completely gone.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Would like to know why? And when did you start playing the series? Genuinely curious.

Personally Reach was the end of the series for me. It introduced too many irreversible changes, was an unbalanced mess, and had the worst multiplayer maps of the series (copy-pasted straight from the single player). 343's overtaking of the updates only served to make the problems worse - it was a product of two companies with two completely different visions. A Frankenstein of a game.

I have played since the original game's release. I enjoyed Halo, but I always preferred Halo 2. I thought it was a fantastic game and with the oncoming Halo 3 with the 360 - I was beyond hyped. After getting it... I really didn't enjoy it. The multiplayer was okay, but the campaign I felt was really poor, especially with other titles at the time that just did it *so* much better. Halo ODST and Halo Reach I loved for their campaigns, and the changes made to Halo Reach's multiplayer I felt was for the better. I enjoyed the maps, I enjoyed the armor abilities, and its Forge system was superior (IMO) to Halo 3.

It is an unpopular choice, for sure.

fusious

Neo Member
I literally cant wait for infinite. It looks to be promising. The only other halo I've thoroughly enjoyed is halo 3. Luckily eldewrito has hung on still and I've been able to get my fix for a bit until infinite comes out. Im hoping infinite meets or exceeds my halo 3 expectations.

Happy New Year everyone! Now that we've hit 2019, we can start counting down the days to E3 lol. Might be the next time we get any real info on Infinite.
I have played since the original game's release. I enjoyed Halo, but I always preferred Halo 2. I thought it was a fantastic game and with the oncoming Halo 3 with the 360 - I was beyond hyped. After getting it... I really didn't enjoy it. The multiplayer was okay, but the campaign I felt was really poor, especially with other titles at the time that just did it *so* much better. Halo ODST and Halo Reach I loved for their campaigns, and the changes made to Halo Reach's multiplayer I felt was for the better. I enjoyed the maps, I enjoyed the armor abilities, and its Forge system was superior (IMO) to Halo 3.

It is an unpopular choice, for sure.
Depends on who you talk to. I feel like there is a strong Halo Reach following, but since there is no good way to play it (matchmaking), you don't hear people talk about it very often.
I literally cant wait for infinite. It looks to be promising. The only other halo I've thoroughly enjoyed is halo 3. Luckily eldewrito has hung on still and I've been able to get my fix for a bit until infinite comes out. Im hoping infinite meets or exceeds my halo 3 expectations.
Have you tried the master chief collection? The halo 3 population is really healthy. If you play mainly on pc though then i understand.

Last edited:

fusious

Neo Member
Happy New Year everyone! Now that we've hit 2019, we can start counting down the days to E3 lol. Might be the next time we get any real info on Infinite.

Depends on who you talk to. I feel like there is a strong Halo Reach following, but since there is no good way to play it (matchmaking), you don't hear people talk about it very often.

Have you tried the master chief collection? The halo 3 population is really healthy. If you play mainly on pc though then i understand.

No, I didn't realize it was still kicking. Pc is a bit more convenient, but I still have an Xbox one. When Infinite comes out, I will probably buy it for both if I'm honest. Do you happen to play? Maybe we can jump into some lobbies!

No, I didn't realize it was still kicking. Pc is a bit more convenient, but I still have an Xbox one. When Infinite comes out, I will probably buy it for both if I'm honest. Do you happen to play? Maybe we can jump into some lobbies!
I play but my schedule is all over the place. I work both nights and days, so I'm most likely to be online when I'm trying to switch my schedule over to nights. Which means I'll probably be online Sunday night of this coming weekend lol. I've been meaning to get in some games with Artistic too, but it hasn't worked out yet. I have no headset, so I won't be talking much lol.

fusious

Neo Member
I play but my schedule is all over the place. I work both nights and days, so I'm most likely to be online when I'm trying to switch my schedule over to nights. Which means I'll probably be online Sunday night of this coming weekend lol. I've been meaning to get in some games with Artistic too, but it hasn't worked out yet. I have no headset, so I won't be talking much lol.

Timezone? I'm mst and I actually work nights myself!

I'm really looking forward to these competitions. Granted, I'm not a big fan of halo 3 nor Halo CE 2v2, but watching the competitive play is always good.

Last edited:

The Halo Classic Tournament - Hosted by UGC Events
  • Halo 3 4v4 & FFA / Halo CE 2v2 Side Event
  • Double Elimination, Open Bracket
  • January 11-13, Saint Louis, MO
  • Stream: twitch.tv/UGC - Mixer.com/ugcevents
https://ugcevents.gg/haloclassic/

EDIT:
Just saw that I missed this waypoint update from yesterday: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/hcs-2019-announcements

The update itself is announcing the Halo 3 HCS INVITATIONAL: MARCH 15-17 as well as the intention to continue hosting new events moving forward, but one thing caught my eye in particular:
"And while most of the competition will be centered around Halo 3 – wouldn’t it be fun to watch pros compete across all Halo titles? 🤔 Stay tuned for more details later this month. "

Um yes please!! I would love to see a tournament where pros weren't able to prepare for specific maps and games and instead they just had to roll with whatever pops up. Call it a TMCC Fiesta Tourney or something. No, not any fiesta games, but just the random nature of gametypes across multiple halo games would be fun. Or keep it all slayer across multiple halo games. I'd enjoy that even more.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Deputy's keeping this thread aliiiiiive.

So I'm curious, Spartan Abilities in Infinite, what would be everyone's ideal scenario (e.g. removed entirely, made as a custom option, changed out for a different set of abilities)? I really dig the Spartan Abilities as an evolution of Halo's gameplay since they are core to each players Arsenal but wouldn't mind some changes.

• Spartan Charge: Remove (at least by default).
  • Clamber: While I love the idea of being able to do a pull up, it doesn't get utilized in the maps enough for it to make a huge difference. I'm kind of indifferent on this.
  • Thruster Pack: Love it. Keep it. Beli343 it.
  • Ground Pound: Really fun but could use some tweaking. Increase knock back when indirectly hitting a player, dealing 30% damage to shields. A fully charged Ground Pound would send a Warthog flying and if directly hitting it would bring it down to 25% health. Lastly, don't halt the Ground Pound if you hit someone in mid air. That's dumb.
  • Hover: Keep but adjust it to be a double tap of the jump button. If Clamber was removed maybe you could hold it to do a small double jump ala Doom.
  • Sprint: I've always enjoyed sprint, but I've felt it has sucked in implementation. I think this should be a 5 second burst of speed that doubles or triples movement. Perhaps instead of being sprint it could be a minor speed boost across all physical abilities with a 15 second recharge time though? Just spit balling.
That's all I've got for now since my phone is gonna die, but I'd love to hear some thoughts. On a side note, I'd really love to see some Halo 3 style equipment come back too. Trip Mines, Bubble Shields, and Power Drains were a lot of fun and there's so much more that could be played with.

Hope you all are having a solid start to the New Year!

#bringbuttsback

Deputy's keeping this thread aliiiiiive.

So I'm curious, Spartan Abilities in Infinite, what would be everyone's ideal scenario (e.g. removed entirely, made as a custom option, changed out for a different set of abilities)? I really dig the Spartan Abilities as an evolution of Halo's gameplay since they are core to each players Arsenal but wouldn't mind some changes.

• Spartan Charge: Remove (at least by default).
  • Clamber: While I love the idea of being able to do a pull up, it doesn't get utilized in the maps enough for it to make a huge difference. I'm kind of indifferent on this.
  • Thruster Pack: Love it. Keep it. Beli343 it.
  • Ground Pound: Really fun but could use some tweaking. Increase knock back when indirectly hitting a player, dealing 30% damage to shields. A fully charged Ground Pound would send a Warthog flying and if directly hitting it would bring it down to 25% health. Lastly, don't halt the Ground Pound if you hit someone in mid air. That's dumb.
  • Hover: Keep but adjust it to be a double tap of the jump button. If Clamber was removed maybe you could hold it to do a small double jump ala Doom.
  • Sprint: I've always enjoyed sprint, but I've felt it has sucked in implementation. I think this should be a 5 second burst of speed that doubles or triples movement. Perhaps instead of being sprint it could be a minor speed boost across all physical abilities with a 15 second recharge time though? Just spit balling.
That's all I've got for now since my phone is gonna die, but I'd love to hear some thoughts. On a side note, I'd really love to see some Halo 3 style equipment come back too. Trip Mines, Bubble Shields, and Power Drains were a lot of fun and there's so much more that could be played with.

Hope you all are having a solid start to the New Year!

#bringbuttsback
Haha I'm tryin. Good post with some good ideas. I think ultimately, I'm one of those people who would prefer all abilities to just be removed. Even more, I'd almost prefer sprint to be removed out of everything, assuming I could only remove one thing. That would probably mess up all the other abilities though. I like strafing and being able to twitch aim whenever i want. Sprint gets in the way of both. Your sprint suggestion is interesting and might work really well though. Would make people have to choose more carefully when and where they are going to sprint.

I still like pick ups better than default abilities. Halo 3 had equipment which worked well and wasn't too offensive to game-play. Clamber is more of a cosmetic thing to me. Maps can be designed to account for the removal of clamber. so I'd be fine with it being taken out. If it is left in then that's okay too. Thruster pack is fun to use. While i'd be okay with it being removed, I'd be okay with it being left in, especially if spartan charge was removed instead. Ground pound is really powerful, it needs to have some sort of penalty if you use it and miss, but I don't know what I would suggest other than what you mentioned, Splash damage would be nice if you miss, but just barely, perhaps with a small knock-back.

h00ters

Call me old fashioned but I want a direct throwback to the Halo 2 movement combat system.

It's not the nostalgia which makes it so appealing, it's a combination of the map design and the sheer brutality that many of the weapons packed. Sprint only feel necessary in Reach, H4 & H5 because the maps are designed in such a way that it is necessary to enable quicker traversal. Sprint on a map like Lockout or the original Midship would be completely out of place because the maps are a lot more confined and sprint wasn't necessary to easily get you back into the fight.

Same goes with clamber, simply make obstacles have slightly less verticality and it is no longer required.

I never liked hover and couldn't understand why it was implemented.

To be sure the love for Halo 2 isn't just nostalgia. Heck, I'm still in love with CE and that's the majority of what i play in TMCC, so that isn't just nostalgia either. Halo 2 far and away had the best multiplayer maps bar none. No other Halo game has come close. Regardless of what 343 chooses to do with Infinite, if they could somehow top Halo 2's multiplayer maps it would be amazing. I actually think the maps in Halo 4 were pretty good, but ruined by all of the abilities. Jet packs and promethean vision have no place in the game.

EDIT: Oooh next post i think starts a new page. Then you guys won't have to load up the entire OP anymore to make a new post lol. I know it really kills mobile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom