• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

So Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Quake, Wolfenstein, Gears of War, and various other armors could show up? I like that. Just allow me to turn it off. But if I do turn it off, randomize the armor of those that aren't using Lore armor.
That would be a nice touch so that it isn't just a generic default helmet for everyone else.

This is so TMCC lol

Reach is 11 years old today 😯

I just tried playing some master chief collection through the cloud on my laptop and it was pretty laggy. I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong. I checked the game settings and game mode is in fact on.

Havoc2049

I just tried playing some master chief collection through the cloud on my laptop and it was pretty laggy. I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong. I checked the game settings and game mode is in fact on.
Ya, XCloud isn't that great for precision action games. I've played MCC and SoT on my cell phone over wi-fi and it is only good for easy grindy PVE stuff. To much lag for harder modes or PVP. For turn based slower paced games it is fine, but still not as good as playing on real hardware. I do like having the XCloud option available.

Ya, XCloud isn't that great for precision action games. I've played MCC and SoT on my cell phone over wi-fi and it is only good for easy grindy PVE stuff. To much lag for harder modes or PVP. For turn based slower paced games it is fine, but still not as good as playing on real hardware. I do like having the XCloud option available.
Kind of bummed about it cuz it would have given me a way to play some games when the tv is already in use.

Regardless of whether I agree with the placement, I love the videos that are accompanying the top 10 players. Walshy is a legend. And by definition shouldn't that put him near the very top? 🤔

Sounds like MCC support is gonna be slowing down/changing when Infinite releases. It's also getting mod support.

YukiOnna

Sounds like MCC support is gonna be slowing down/changing when Infinite releases. It's also getting mod support.

So the MCC team will be joining the Infinite team to work on it post-launch? I think that's a good move. Mod support addition will keep it to last, as well.

Jesus Christ. Apparently Bungie wants $100K from Marty.

It's apparent that Bungie is extremely butthurt over anything related to Marty. While I know it's completely unrelated, somehow I appreciate 343 even more.

In other news I have been getting my butt kicked in the mcc. It seems there are quite a few teams or partial teams completely obliterating randoms in the hce slayer playlist. What surprises me is that several of these players are quite vocal with their smack talk in the player chat. I'd respond back but am too slow to even type one word lol.

It would appear that I've been slacking. This is almost 24 hours old.

What else does the team want to do with maps? Are there more? Are there other games in MCC that we are looking to try this process out for? Any cool details of things to come you want to share?

[Matt] Right now, for the maps I’d like to evaluate what can be done in terms of improving them and introducing them to more game types within matchmaking. There are certainly some more maps I’d like to bring into MCC, whether it’s for Halo 3 or not, I have investigated a few different options and I personally have a short list of some more maps I’d like to bring in if the opportunity arises. As for things to come, I’ll have to keep them secret and keep them safe.

[Max] We are always thinking about what to add to Halo: MCC and the list never seems to end. The team loves these games and we hear your requests and feedback. The question is, if we wanted to add new content, which game do we add it to? We hear some players out there are looking for more Halo 2 content, for example...

It's not more craig meme, there's significantly more detail. Scratches, scuffs, etc are more prominent, more detail on Brute faces as well. Less blank, more rugged.
The Elite's face looks fantastic, almost perfect I'd say. So glad they ditched the design they were using in 4/5 and went back to the old one.
Okay now I have to click on the link and see for myself lol. The elite is very reminiscent of Reach imo. I couldn't get the brute spoiler to show anything.

Coming in at #6 is Snip3down. I actually really like Snip3down. I don't know where most people would put him but he could have been in the top 5 and It would be justified.

Last edited:
This update is really long. I was going to try and copy paste more sections but better easier for people just to read for themselves.

Preview date: sep 23-26 (4v4 focus) and sep 30 - Oct 3 (12v12 BTB focus). More specifics to come on Wednesday.

When approaching Halo Infinite’s version of Big Team Battle, what were some of your most crucial design pillars?

Andrew Witts:
The team created the pillars for Big Team Battle after a long meeting where we invited each MP team member to share their favorite moments from past BTB experiences. After doing that we bucketed all those experiences which ultimately became our design pillars:

Embrace the Spartan Battle Fantasy – We want players to really feel like they are within a Spartan unit pushing through the battlefield and capturing objectives as a team. That’s why we’ve invested in things like Pelican Drops, Commander mode VO, Weapon Pods falling from the sky to resupply the field and a few more dynamic elements – we wanted it to feel like an active battle inside the Halo universe. Additionally, we wanted maps to feel like they were a part of an iconic battle within the Halo universe.

• Empower Player Types to Thrive – There are many different types of players in the Halo ecosystem. Some players are pilots, others are slayers or objective hunters, but we wanted all of them to work together in this BTB experience. Fernando has a fantastic phrase that sums up this pillar well: Make sure everyone can feel like a hero in any match.

• Unleash the Halo Infinite Sandbox
– This pillar kind of speaks for itself. We felt like the “big” in BTB was not just the number of players in the match or the size of the maps but the number of options at players’ disposal. All the toys are available in this space for maximum fun.

1120x630_haloinfinite_banished_shockrifle_02_darkbg-bcd2f9b1d2914eff9285a2e3dc724c30.jpg

When the team set out to design the new Big Team Battle experience for Halo Infinite, how did you approach drawing inspiration from the past vs. injecting something new? Were there specific elements you knew HAD to be there from the past?

Tom French
: A lot of the discussion came from talking about our favorite past BTB experiences, targeting a set of modes that aligned with our goals, and figuring out any new twists that would partner with the gameplay to give us our own stamp on a fan favorite.

Andrew Witts: When starting to develop BTB, we started by having the Multiplayer Team share memorable stories that they have had in past Big Team experiences in Halo. We talked a lot about how those stories made us feel as players. What more did we want from those stories? What more would we want out of the BTB experience that would make those stories even better? These are all the questions we asked each other to come up with the feature list for BTB. So we didn’t key into specific features as much as we tried to key into experiences that were possible in BTBs of the past.

As you set out to evolve Big Team Battle, what aspects did you specifically see as areas to improve upon and make ‘new’?

Fernando Reyes Medina
: We are all really big fans of legacy BTB so we were careful not to mess with what isn’t broken. We wanted a BTB experience that feels classic and modern at the same time. An opportunity I saw to improve Classic BTB was to make sure that the mode rules and balance consider the increased player count and the amazing new maps that level designers made for Halo Infinite. This allowed us to create an exciting pace throughout a BTB match, which, combined with the awesome new toys in our sandbox, makes the perfect stage so players can play out memorable moments with their friends.

Patrick Wren
: We took a similar philosophy in how we approached BTB as we did with Arena, but turned it up to 11. There is the core experience of spawning at your base, jumping into vehicles, and going out into the world, but we looked at how we could spice it up. Tanks for example, especially the Scorpion, are extremely powerful vehicles that would tend to dominate matches in previous Halo games. We looked at how we could make them an amazing moment in a match that really punctuates their power.

1120x654_haloinfinite_concept_behemoth_skybox_v02_watermarked-cf51d18b979a4ce38f8f72ffc521b68b.jpg

Here are all the ways you’ll be able to acquire customization content in Halo Infinite at launch:

• Weekly Ultimate Rewards
  • Seasonal Battle Pass rewards (both free and premium tracks)
  • Fracture Events - i.e. the “Yoroi” / Samurai armor
  • Special or Seasonal Events - i.e. a special nameplate commemorating a real-world event, earning a Unicorn nameplate during a 343 Playdate, etc.
  • Partnership and promotional items - i.e. Mega Construx codes or Rockstar Energy Drinks
  • Skill Ranks – achieving a specific Skill ranking/tier for a season will award a unique cosmetic itemhttps://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-september-2021#_msocom_14
  • Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Perks
  • In- game store purchases
  • Halo Infinite Campaign - some unique Multiplayer cosmetics are rewarded for various accomplishments within the Campaign
It feels like just yesterday we were battling against Bots during our first multiplayer tech preview. Now, as launch approaches, it’s time to look forward to our second - and even bigger - tech preview. This weekend (September 23-26) and next weekend (September 30 - October 3), we’ll be taking things up a notch and testing out full-blown multiplayer. Yes, you read that correctly, we’re doing back-to-back weekends of Halo Infinite flights.

The first weekend will focus on the Arena (4v4) gameplay experience, and the second weekend is when Big Team Battle (12v12) will come online. We’ll dive into a lot of the specifics in a separate blog on Wednesday, but for now let’s touch on the high-level areas such as the goals, available content, and the schedule.

Last edited:
I'm happy they're doing 2 weekends in a row. I'll miss the 4v4 this weekend but will get to try out the 12v12 BTB stuff the following weekend.

Last edited:

Complistic

Have they commented at all about the lack of player collision in the previous flight? I'm really wondering if that's going to be enabled now or if that was a (bad) design decision.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hey, I messaged Deputy Moonman Deputy Moonman a bit earlier about getting a GAF group together. Nothing serious (no mics required if you don't want to) just a way to feel like you're playing as part of a bigger team or can hop into someone elses game/ask for help/lfg etc. Expect everyone to be shit - that way keep your expectations in place :)

I've set up a private XBox club which you can search for and find as per below:

JqALal.jpg

And I've also set up a spartan company as per below - as I'm not sure if the old one is still active

mSBEzq.jpg

Alternatively just ping your GT in here and @ me and I'll invite you to both.

cormack12

Gold Member
Invited Vyse Vyse Plantoid Plantoid and ViolentP ViolentP so far, you will need to go to waypoint to accept:

How do I Join a Company?
You can be invited to a Company in which case you will receive a message to your Waypoint inbox. You can also request to join a Company by visiting the Company’s profile. Once you have sent your request to join, a Company Leader or Lieutenant must decide to accept or reject your request to join.

Last edited:
Invited Vyse Vyse Plantoid Plantoid and ViolentP ViolentP so far, you will need to go to waypoint to accept:

How do I Join a Company?
You can be invited to a Company in which case you will receive a message to your Waypoint inbox. You can also request to join a Company by visiting the Company’s profile. Once you have sent your request to join, a Company Leader or Lieutenant must decide to accept or reject your request to join.
Thanks for doing this, Cormack. Im still part of the old Halogaf company, but it's completely dead. A lot of old members are still there but there hasn't been any interactions in years. Perhaps once Infinite releases it will become active again but I'm fine with joining the new company.

Last edited:
cormack12 cormack12

Nice one. Put me in coach. I'll jump in sometimes but I usually snob to just Aussie fireteams/squads for connection quality. Still fun to join and have a laugh, mic on for me. Always good to shoot the shit about Halo.

GT same as GAF name.

Last edited:
Add me too. I tried searching and failed lol.
GT: XxDeputyMoonman

So my original Xbox gamertag was simply Deputy Moonman when Xbox live first became a thing. I cancelled the sub at some point and when I tried to go back Xbox live wouldn't let me use my original gamertag. For years it's been available to buy back for 10 bucks, but I refused to pay money for a meaningless name change. Fast forward to this year and I was finally going to suck it up and pay the money to change it back to the original. Nope. Now there is a restriction on the number of characters a player can have in their gamertag.

TLDR - womp womp

Top Bottom