• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

What gives? I thought for sure we'd have a new update from 343, but apparently not. Maybe the end of this week?
This is cool.

That was good, but kind of scary. Love the background music. I could see someone do a movie or show based on the insurrection. Would be a heck of a lot easier and require less CG than anything that involves the covenenant or flood or forerunners.
It's good to see HaloGaf is still doing well. If anyone wants be to play MCC drop me a line.
Does HaloGaf still play Saturday Night customs? Those were some fun games back in the day.
What's up man. I don't think we have the numbers anymore to play customs. It's very hit or miss here. Every once in a while a couple of us will get some games in, but that's about it.
Seriously though is E3 the only time were likely to see anymore of infinite ?
It certainly feels like it. I suppose there isn't any other reason to release new info between now and then. The game won't be out until the end of the year

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Anyone grinding all the Reach gear in MCC? I'm up to Tier 9 Captain. I need a double XP weekend again, as the going is getting slow. I'm starting to get some cool gear. I already have the lightning armor effect and I'm pretty close to the flaming ninja helmet effect.

I'm now 3K in the positive in my K/D. 13,896 kills vs 10,810 deaths, with a K/D ratio of 1.29. At the launch of Reach, I only had around 8k kills and I think my K/D was like 1.12 or somewhere around there.

Here is a cool little segment, ending with a triple kill and a shotgun surprise for my last victim. :messenger_winking_tongue:

It took some time but 343 finally posted their first Spotlight of 2020:

Edit:
Anyone grinding all the Reach gear in MCC? I'm up to Tier 9 Captain. I need a double XP weekend again, as the going is getting slow. I'm starting to get some cool gear. I already have the lightning armor effect and I'm pretty close to the flaming ninja helmet effect.

I'm now 3K in the positive in my K/D. 13,896 kills vs 10,810 deaths, with a K/D ratio of 1.29. At the launch of Reach, I only had around 8k kills and I think my K/D was like 1.12 or somewhere around there.

Here is a cool little segment, ending with a triple kill and a shotgun surprise for my last victim. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I swear I had replied to your post but apparently it was never submitted. That lightning armor effect is the best. I remember it taking forever just to have enough exp to unlock it. I think pestilence was a little cheaper. In your clip you posted I was trying to see if i could figure out where the guy was with invis, but to no avail. I think he was the last guy you killed with the shotgun. Too funny 😁

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
Reach on PC is beautiful. Seeing as there is no theater mode on PC I had to go into campaign with the Blind Skull on to capture these.

i5dOoa.png

i5d7mQ.png

i5dpIM.png

i5d4UA.png

i5d37q.png

i5dsRD.png

i5dBy0.png

i5dqe3.png

i5ddJF.png

i5d98r.png

i59mPP.png

i59qtK.png

Well it's about time we had a community update lol. This one is pretty brief. Plans for Halo 5 through March. MCC playlist updates for Reach. The 1st Reach for PC tourney a month from now at Dreamhack in Anaheim. Some Reach flighting stuff too.

While playing MCC last night I realized how sweet it will be to play Halo 2 and 3 with a higher FOV, centered crosshair, and in ultrawide 21:9. I've already replayed the trilogy to death, but this will give it even more longevity for me. Wish we had more screenshots and updates of CE. Starting to feel like we won't get Halo 2 or 3 before Infinite.

I want to enjoy Reach on PC, but the audio is really bad... Everything sounds compressed and mushy.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Ok so I just bought the Master Queef collection and I haven’t touched this series in eons. Six fuckin Halo games. Shit. I can’t wait to shoot up some muppets.

Should I just start with Reach since it’s the prequel and leads right into 1 or what?

I need answers, Haloheads

Havoc2049

Ok so I just bought the Master Queef collection and I haven’t touched this series in eons. Six fuckin Halo games. Shit. I can’t wait to shoot up some muppets.

Should I just start with Reach since it’s the prequel and leads right into 1 or what?

I personally like to play them in order of release, but play ODST before Halo 3. You can't go wrong by going Reach, CE, 2, ODST, 3 and then 4.

Awesome pics, SpartanN92!!! I'm a weirdo and play on a QHD gaming monitor. Here is my 1440p contribution.
YZNAPFm.png

Last edited:

I second ehat Havoc said. You can't really go wrong with the order, but I'd probably recommend CE first. It treats you as someone completely new to the series. When it released there was obviously no lore at the time and so it has a lot of intrigue and mystery to it. Whereas Reach assumes you've already played 3-4 halo games. So in some respects it might be better to start with CE. But if you want to do Reach first that definitely works too.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Ok gonna start with CE and go from there. Rekindle those OG memories from 2001.

I remember quitting Halo 2 after you got control of the Arbiter because I thought the character switch was dumb. It was post MGS2’s bullshit and I just wasn’t having it.

Barely got through 3. Played it on its release in 07 and BioShock proved to be the better FPS experience for me at the time.

Never played Reach or ODST.

I stopped playing 4 as soon as the new enemies showed up. I thought they were boring as fuck, though the new weapons I remember looking p cool doing that transform animation.

Ok gonna start with CE and go from there. Rekindle those OG memories from 2001.

I remember quitting Halo 2 after you got control of the Arbiter because I thought the character switch was dumb. It was post MGS2’s bullshit and I just wasn’t having it.

Barely got through 3. Played it on its release in 07 and BioShock proved to be the better FPS experience for me at the time.

Never played Reach or ODST.

I stopped playing 4 as soon as the new enemies showed up. I thought they were boring as fuck, though the new weapons I remember looking p cool doing that transform animation.
Oh for some reason I was thinking you had never played Halo before. Sorry lol. I'm an idiot. I was not a fan of Halo 2's campaign as much as others. But it does have a great story. Like you, the switch to the arbiter didn't do much for me even though I love the character.

Edit: in other news - I missed this yesterday:

Last edited:
Oh my I'm so behind! Here is a rather lengthy January TMCC development update. So much information here lol. One thing I noticed out or the whole thing is that 343 is going to add an experimental non-br starts playlist for btb. I feel like that has been an ongoing request since forever. Upcoming ban wave. Custom game browser is still a thing.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I just hope Halo Infinite has some real medium and large BTB maps this time around. Not a bunch of Forge maps.

The Halo CE Anniversary Reach maps are fun with the latest playlist update. I didn’t even think they would bring those over, but it’s cool that they did. Better graphics and a faster base movement put a fresh spin on classic CE maps.

There is some double XP going on this weekend. Woot!

I just hope Halo Infinite has some real medium and large BTB maps this time around. Not a bunch of Forge maps.

The Halo CE Anniversary Reach maps are fun with the latest playlist update. I didn’t even think they would bring those over, but it’s cool that they did. Better graphics and a faster base movement put a fresh spin on classic CE maps.

There is some double XP going on this weekend. Woot!

Sounds awesome. Couldn't find games on pc last night though

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Sounds awesome. Couldn't find games on pc last night though
That sucks. Any games or just in the Halo CE Anniversary playlist? One thing that I like about MCC these days on XB1, is how quick it is to find a match and that the community seems fairly large. I wish 343 still gave numbers, like they did with Halo 4.

Havoc2049

I was wrong about the double XP this past weekend. 343 has permanently increased the XP gain in matches by %150.

I maxed out my armor and unlocked the Tier 100 Rewards, Waaaay less grindy in MCC than it was in Reach on the X360.

The Eternal Armor Effect and Haunted Pilot Helmet
dYzXdU0.png

Nice. We all knew it was coming but it's nice to have confirmation. Can't wait until we know all the details about the new console and infinite 😁 I think the grappling hook would be fun in campaign. Not sure how it would work in multiplayer. Halo is all about jumping around, strafing and shooting. It's simple and it works. I don't want 343 overly complicating things. I think Halo 4 and 5 may have both had a bit too much to them and could have fared better as a stripped down game. That sounds weird to say doesn't it.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I got in on the flight for Halo CE on PC this weekend. Not all the campaign levels were available to play. I played Silent Cartographer to the end. Everything seemed solid and it plays just like Halo CE Anniversary on MCC. Controller has no aim assist at all, so it's more challenging to play with a controller now, especially in multiplayer. For some reason, zoom didn't work when I would bind it to my mouse (mouse #2 button on default), which is especially important in CE, as the M6D pistol is the default go to weapon the majority of the time.

Saw this on Reddit today. 🤣 Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Last edited:
I got in on the flight for Halo CE on PC this weekend. Not all the campaign levels were available to play. I played Silent Cartographer to the end. Everything seemed solid and it plays just like Halo CE Anniversary on MCC. Controller has no aim assist at all, so it's more challenging to play with a controller now, especially in multiplayer. For some reason, zoom didn't work when I would bind it to my mouse (mouse #2 button on default), which is especially important in CE, as the M6D pistol is the default go to weapon the majority of the time.

Saw this on Reddit today. 🤣 Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Happy Valentine's Day! (A day late lol). My daughter's birthday is on the 14th so I was busy all day. Is that normal to have no aim assist? I was thinking KBM was better regardless so people using a controller would be at even greater disadvantage.

Also, I missed this yesterday:

Last edited:
Howdy y'all! I've been missing news left and right as of late. Here is latest community update (from 3 days ago whoops). It's mostly a summary of already announced news, but still a good read.

Canon Fodder time!

stickkidsam

Canon Fodder time!

I want to be excited. So bad.

The idea of going back to Reach could be an amazing way to explore Haley's development of Cortana (maybe find Six eating Moa jerky) and would explain the Reach AR in Infinite.

Not too fond of the new armor on Blue team (though Chief looks good) and seeing that God awful sniper rifle back is kinda killing me, but those are just nitpicks. If 343 can really bring back the spirit of Halo and revive this series I'm gonna riot!

The words "live service game" keep echoing in my mind though... here's hoping they don't.

Yeah was expecting more of an event when they dished out the specs of the new console but instead it came through some random articles. Not complaining though. I'm excited.

Also community spotlight from a few days ago:

stickkidsam

So what the fuck are we hoping to find on Reach? It's been a minute since I read Fall of Reach (bless Eric Nylund) and the only thing that I can imagine being on there is a new Cortana AI. There was a neat idea I saw floating around that Infinite would basically be an instance of history repeating itself, ala Mendicant vs Offensive. I'd hope that if they went this route that Cortana gets a chance to reflect on history, maybe talk to Mendicant bias directly?

What sucks is that I don't think 343 is up to the task of playing with grand narratives (rant incoming). Bungie did a better job due to the way they left bread crumbs, hinting at something greater while leaving enough room to wonder what's going on. The books would flesh the universe out a bit more, but the games were still their own story and each game built on the lore of the last as it progressed. Now though the books ARE the story with the games being a shitty backdrop of spit and paste holding it together, leaving it up to the player to assume what's going on makes sense. Every time they've tried to delve into great dramas it's felt unnatural and forced between characters on the main stage, with supporting character doing fuck all to help.

That radio drama was fuckin sick though.

Yeah like most people I wasn't a big fan of where 343 took the story in Halo 5. It just wasn't that interesting and there wasn't enough character development to make me care about the new Spartans like Locke. Instead of a sense of wonder it felt more like a drawn out soap opera. I'm hoping the theories about Chief finding an updated and non corrupt version of Cortana prove true. Or maybe it's time to find a new AI construct altogether. Whatever they do 343 have their work cut out for them with Infinite. I'm excited for it and don't think it could turn out any worse than 5. Since 343 hasn't revealed a whole lot about the game I try not to even think about it. No point in getting all hyped right now when we still have 6 months or more to go. But who am I kidding? I'm still hyped lol.

Also here is the latest community spotlight. I realized I missed the latest community update as well:

Ms dropping info bombs !!

Come on gimme inifinite footage !!!!

Im excited but I’m also worried. I love Halo, but so far 343 also really hasn’t impressed me with 4 and 5.

So far, I love the visual direction I saw in the two trailers we got. But there’s no gameplay, there’s no story, and those are really the most important things. It’s hard for me to feel super positive about this game because 343 have made so many mistakes that I have a lot of trouble trusting them now.

I really hope that this is the halo that makes halo make a big comeback. If this game isn’t a homerun as far as “Halo games” are concerned, then I believe the franchise is as good as dead.

Havoc2049

I played through some Combat Evolved Mayhem with the latest playlist update. Crazy good times with some high kill counts.

CE Mayhem: 8v8
Mayhem Slayer on Battle Creek, Rat Race, and Hang 'Em High.
Mayhem CTF on Hang 'Em High.
Mayhem One Flag CTF on Rat Race.
Mayhem Static King on Battle Creek.
Mayhem Crazy King on Damnation, Hang 'Em High, Rat Race, and Derelict

pesaddict

Banned
Anyone else slightly suspicious of 343 no more details, no pics, no footage NOTHING !🤔

E3's gone down the shitter what the deal ?

Havoc2049

Anyone else slightly suspicious of 343 no more details, no pics, no footage NOTHING !🤔

E3's gone down the shitter what the deal ?

Who knows. I’m sure it will be the featured game when Microsoft announces the Series X launch date, price and when pre-orders will be available. If Halo Infinite is a hit, then the Series X will be a hit. No pressure, 343.

Cutty Flam

Banned
How do you guys feel about the multiplayer based off momentum of Halo 5?

I’m hoping it’s something that will last. Halo 4, after a month of it maybe two at most, I was bored and felt the game was extremely lacking in its online multiplayer depth...Hoping I can return to the Halo community once again. But I will be eying everything like a hawk. Would hate to disappoint myself with a purchase of something Halo4-esque

The movement speed, jump, crouch, abilities and strafe of Halo 5 are very well tuned e.g. slide+jump+thrust or crouching to dodge headshots etc . I'd like one or two less abilities as there's a lot to get your hands and mind around when playing 5 say versus 2/3/4. Generally I'd be very happy if they kept quite a lot of Halo multi and stopped reinventing the wheel with each game. It feels like the shooting, movement and player controls are pretty bloody spot on. 343 should be focusing more on the gamemodes, maps and content than the actual tuning at this point. Set a standard for launch and we all know how much tweaking goes into these GaaS FPS post launch.

Look at 4 and 5, they completely missed launch windows of staple and expected content e.g. 4v4/5v5 light vehicle combat and objective modes. You know the old default Halo, not MLG/esports based and not WZ based. The entire segment of what "default" Halo was in social and ranked playlists was thrown out. They chased esports, which has made great strides for player controls, movement, shooting, engagements but they have sacrificed focus and resources on maps and modes that aren't MLG/esports focused. Bring on burial mounds, relic, terminal, coagulation, Valhalla, high grounds and more. All light vehicle and small team focused that work for slayer or objective very well. A real cornerstone of Halo was lost. Put resources into this 343 for Infinite.

Now moving forward I've had enough of Bungie and especially 343 in this regard that the innovation wasn't really pushing e.g. warzone ate a lot of resources and cut the packed lunch of the above default Halo, as did esports focus. The REQ system and various modes it brought we're brilliant. Now bring the population back further and gain new fans with the core of Halo that was always more popular than esports or MLG and likely WZ. Push into new areas e.g. Firefight was great and really enables another layer of players with PvE content that don't transition from campaign to multiplayer. Give rise to new PvE modes and squads, we've seen how popular games like Destiny 2 or Fortnite coop etc can be. Halo is missing huge elements of modern games. Destiny took on PvEvP with Gambit, that's innovative alright.

I'm sure they have some surprises in store with Infinite but to me there are key areas of 343 that have to focus and dedicate resources to cornerstone default Halo and PvE modes going forward. I'd kill for Halo to do what Destiny has done with strikes and raids and loot. My mates would too, most of them dropped off Halo from 4 and 5 due to the details in this post. If they keep this tight focus on esports based maps and modes they'll alienate a huge percentage of players again, the skill and team aspects are too high for players to stick with the game. What ends up happening is an initial population bubble and then the decades long Halo skilled teams dominate and turn players away. Games like Apex Legends have more than just MLG team skills or reflex shooting 1v1s, there is a wealth of abilities and loot and support roles that are mixed so fucking well that players of all ages and skills mix together. Halo needs to strike this balance in modes, maps and mechanics if it truly wants to return to former glory.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
How do you guys feel about the multiplayer based off momentum of Halo 5?

I’m hoping it’s something that will last. Halo 4, after a month of it maybe two at most, I was bored and felt the game was extremely lacking in its online multiplayer depth...Hoping I can return to the Halo community once again. But I will be eying everything like a hawk. Would hate to disappoint myself with a purchase of something Halo4-esque

I think Halo 5 is dogshit and I never want to see anything resembling it again in this franchise so long as I live.

Top Bottom