• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A hacked Switch is such a great gaming console

lucius

I mean emulation on it is alright but after using my Series S for emulation it’s kind of disappointing. I do wanna try Remote Play on it though that sounds like a go for me until Steamdeck. The boost mode is suppose to be safe for retroarch .

Wvrs

Yeah my hacked Switch is awesome. Mostly for the advantage OP probably hacked their own Switch for but didn't state for obvious reasons.

But the other stuff is cool too. Pokemon Sword became my favorite in the franchise after installing a mod that ups the difficulty to a level where you need to build a competitive-grade team.

KAL2006

Banned
Maybe thing have improved but I remember looking into this and the emulation felt very limited.

PS1 and N64 seemed to struggle to run at full speed without overclocking. And the consensus seemed to be that overclocking should be fine in docked mode but might negatively affect the battery in handheld mode. So if I'm going to be playing on the TV anyway I might as well just use my laptop to emulate.

PS1 can run fullspeed with Duckstation on Android. You can dual boot Switch with different OS. However because I'm only into 2D retro games the retro PS1 games I have tried work fullspeed on the regular OS so I haven't dual booted to Android.

KAL2006

Banned
Another thing to mention with PS5 games that have instant loading handheld remote play is so good. I can turn the system on remotely and be playing a game within 5 seconds.

KAL2006

Banned
Added to OP just discovered

Use different controller's
You can use other controller's like Dualsense, WiiMote and etc

iHaunter

Just got back into Switch after such a long time. I had the old SX OS installed, so had lots of catching up to do and installed the latest firmware with Atmosphere.

Here are the things I think are great on a hacked Switch

Boost Mode
For those games that have frame rate drops you can bump up the performance. There is a nice overlay you display with a button combination to boost clocks.

Cheats
Just like the old action replay days, you can do cheats, and again with a nice overlay where you can input, enable and disable cheats. I personally use cheats for certain grindy games.

Save Sharing
You can import community saves. Very useful if you want all the contend without the need to unclock such as all characters for Smash.

Emulation
Emulation is nothing new, you can emulate on so many devices. But what makes this special on Switch is the screen is the perfect size and portable. You can emulate on a desktop PC or a Pi but you are restricted to the TV or desk. On s phone, nowadays phone screen aspect ratio is so wide, playing retro 4:3 games look tiny. The Switch is the perfect size and it's hybrid. You can play portable on your own, on its stand with on the go multiplayer games and on the TV. I have Retroarch setup not only do I have SNES and GBA games but a ton of multiplayer arcade games where I play with other people by passing them Joycon.

Remote Play
This is the big one for me, I have only done remote play with the PS5 as I don't own a Xbox or a Gaming PC. And I don't have any lag. I'm playing fast action fighters and not missing any combos and not reacting late to attacks. Now my Switch can not only play Switch games, a backlog of retro emulated games, but it can now play full next gen games portably anywhere around the house. I've decided to even order a Binbok controller that has larger sticks and a grip just for remote play.

I still haven't tried other things such as mods but I'm sure I've left out tons of features for a hacked Switch in this OP. But
Why doesn't Nintendo do most of this shit? (Outside of 3-rd party controllers).

Seems like a bigger selling point if it can do all this stuff.

KAL2006

Banned
Why doesn't Nintendo do most of this shit? (Outside of 3-rd party controllers).

Seems like a bigger selling point if it can do all this stuff.

It's obvious why

Remote play - they don't want people to play Doom remote play from another system, they rather you buy Doom on Switch.

Save share and cheats - you can say that with Sony and Microsoft, will affect online play and cannot sell DLC as someone will unlock without paying.

Boost modes - It makes sense they want to prolong Switch battery, boosting without being docked will drain the Switch very fast

Emulation - they want to sell Switch Online Sub, but I agree it's stupid they don't let people buy individual games

KAL2006

Banned
Just loaded up a full set of arcade games. With all the pictures included when selecting games. Arcade games are perfect for a handheld as they are usually pick up and play, Switch also has the addition of table top multiplayer with Joycons which work so well with arcade games. I can emulate games on so many systems but for me Switch is the most versatile thanks to handheld play, tabletop play, docked play.

Will try 4 player Simpsons Arcade with 3 Joycons next time I have people round

Last edited:
I just bought a hacked switch and its a great investment. I have been playing so many games on it and its worth the price of entry. Cant play any online games but I don't go to nintendo for online games.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was actually going to make a thread about this. I'm going to do this to mine so I can cheat and mess around with some stuff.

I was told to use this guide, as it's the best and most up to date. I was going to do EmuMMC, not SysNAND.

For those who've hacked yours, is it easy to get the latest updates to the games?

Got some other questions for you K KAL2006 about using cheats as well.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
So this thread is about a gimped steam deck?

If you only interested in only remote play, Indies and Nintendo games this is better value than a Steam Deck. Most hardware pushing games are better played with remote play, I'd rather stream a game like God of War rather than turn down the settings and have shit battery life. As for emulation Steam Deck can emulate PS2, GameCube and etc over Switch, but to be honest I'd rather have access to Switch games over PS2 emulation, Switch can still emulate all other older systems. I also prefer that you can replace Joycons rather than have in built controls if you have a issue you need to open up the Steam Deck. In terms of streaming the Steam Deck doesn't have WiFi 6 so your not necessarily getting better streaming capabilities on a Deck.

My Switch basically is the ultimate gaming device
- All Switch games with cheat compatibility
- Retroarch (NES, SNES, GBA, Arcade)
- Remote play with PS5
- Use 3rd party Joycons like Hori Split Pro, or even use PS5 controller for tabletop and TV mode.
- Instant multiplayer with 2 Joycons for retro games in tabletop mode and TV mode

The only reason for a Steam Deck is if you actually want to play portable outside your house, but for me personally I don't do that and streaming is sufficient for me and in many ways superior as I don't need to worry about lowering settings and crap battery life.

Finally it comes down to price, I already have a Switch, so why would I waste money on a Deck that costs £350 minimum. Hell you can pick up a used unpatched Switch for £250 which honestly I'd still prefer.

KAL2006

Banned
I was actually going to make a thread about this. I'm going to do this to mine so I can cheat and mess around with some stuff.

I was told to use this guide, as it's the best and most up to date. I was going to do EmuMMC, not SysNAND.

For those who've hacked yours, is it easy to get the latest updates to the games?

Got some other questions for you K KAL2006 about using cheats as well.

Yes that's the best guide for hacking. I don't play online so that's something you may have to consider, however I have heard the hack allows you to be able to play online but I have never bothered. You can update games but I cannot go into detail about this here.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just got back into Switch after such a long time. I had the old SX OS installed, so had lots of catching up to do and installed the latest firmware with Atmosphere.

Here are the things I think are great on a hacked Switch

Boost Mode
For those games that have frame rate drops you can bump up the performance. There is a nice overlay you display with a button combination to boost clocks.

Cheats
Just like the old action replay days, you can do cheats, and again with a nice overlay where you can input, enable and disable cheats. I personally use cheats for certain grindy games.

Save Sharing
You can import community saves. Very useful if you want all the contend without the need to unclock such as all characters for Smash.

Emulation
Emulation is nothing new, you can emulate on so many devices. But what makes this special on Switch is the screen is the perfect size and portable. You can emulate on a desktop PC or a Pi but you are restricted to the TV or desk. On s phone, nowadays phone screen aspect ratio is so wide, playing retro 4:3 games look tiny. The Switch is the perfect size and it's hybrid. You can play portable on your own, on its stand with on the go multiplayer games and on the TV. I have Retroarch setup not only do I have SNES and GBA games but a ton of multiplayer arcade games where I play with other people by passing them Joycon.

Remote Play
This is the big one for me, I have only done remote play with the PS5 as I don't own a Xbox or a Gaming PC. And I don't have any lag. I'm playing fast action fighters and not missing any combos and not reacting late to attacks. Now my Switch can not only play Switch games, a backlog of retro emulated games, but it can now play full next gen games portably anywhere around the house. I've decided to even order a Binbok controller that has larger sticks and a grip just for remote play.

I still haven't tried other things such as mods but I'm sure I've left out tons of features for a hacked Switch in this OP. But
My Switch has not been touched in 2 years. Where can I go to get started with this? Most interested in remote play.

SScorpio

My Switch has not been touched in 2 years. Where can I go to get started with this? Most interested in remote play.
Go to the SwitchHackingIsEasy site listed above and do the check to see if you have an older exploitable Switch.

Otherwise, you are stuck needing a hard mod and chips are going for around $150 on Aliexpress, and need micro soldering to install. If you have someone do the install it will cost $300+ for the chip and service. At this point, it's much less expensive to buy a used exploitable Switch. Or if you can wait put the $5 down on a Steam Deck reservation.

Ribi

If you only interested in only remote play, Indies and Nintendo games this is better value than a Steam Deck

My Switch basically is the ultimate gaming device
- All Switch games with cheat compatibility
- Retroarch (NES, SNES, GBA, Arcade)
- Remote play with PS5
- Use 3rd party Joycons like Hori Split Pro, or even use PS5 controller for tabletop and TV mode.
- Instant multiplayer with 2 Joycons for retro games in tabletop mode and TV mode
the steam deck does all of this though and better for 100$ more. You can't be serious on the better at indies since the "hopefully" majority of the indie titles will be playable on proton. And remoteplay can be done with something like parcel. It'll be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two devices going head to head on features.

KAL2006

Banned
the steam deck does all of this though and better for 100$ more. You can't be serious on the better at indies since the "hopefully" majority of the indie titles will be playable on proton. And remoteplay can be done with something like parcel. It'll be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two devices going head to head on features.

So the Steam deck can play Switch games fullspeed no glitches? And I wouldn't say people seek out a hacked Switch, my post was more for people who already have a Switch. Again the Switch had detachable Joycons you can buy decent Hori ones, which the Deck lacks, if you have problems with buttons getting stuck you have to open the whole device up. I'd say if you already have a Switch that's hackable it's not worth buying a Deck unless you actually play high demanding games games outside your house. And alot of popular indie games are on Switch and as many indie games don't really have high processing Switch runs them decently. Hell a Razor Kishi or phone clip with a game controller paried with a phone or tablet can do remote play and play emulators upto PS1/DS/PSP easily, and if your phone is 2 years old you can play upto Wii/PS2.

Last edited:
Detachable controllers is so underrated

I don’t know when it happened but my preferred gaming position is in bed all tucked in, arms wherever they damn well want to be, with switch across from me laying on my side

Can only do it with joy cons

I discovered the sloth position when the Wii released. Sitting/laying on a chair/couch all man-spread out with your limbs in the "who gives a shit" position is bliss.

qoTZBQQ.jpg

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Ah, a switch modding thread that hasn't gotten shut down yet

Was an early adopter, if anyone has any questions let me know

inb4 I won't answer questions on pirating because you can Google that and it literally is some of the first results

arvfab

Banned
Ah, a switch modding thread that hasn't gotten shut down yet

Was an early adopter, if anyone has any questions let me know

inb4 I won't answer questions on pirating because you can Google that and it literally is some of the first results

Best way for streaming PS5/PC games on the Switch? I searched a bit some times ago, but saw that there were multiple options.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Best way for streaming PS5/PC games on the Switch? I searched a bit some times ago, but saw that there were multiple options.
I don't own a PS5, my experience was using SkyNX and popping open the PSRemote play app and that was decent

These days, LineageOS or Chiaki for PS4/PS5
SkyNX still for remote play

You'd have to open ports and do some port forwarding if you wanted to be out in public and hit your PC/PS4-5 though

YMMV

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm currently using Moonlight and it works pretty well with streaming PC games to thw Switch. You'll need an Nvidia card tho.

Ribi

So the Steam deck can play Switch games fullspeed no glitches? And I wouldn't say people seek out a hacked Switch, my post was more for people who already have a Switch. Again the Switch had detachable Joycons you can buy decent Hori ones, which the Deck lacks, if you have problems with buttons getting stuck you have to open the whole device up. I'd say if you already have a Switch that's hackable it's not worth buying a Deck unless you actually play high demanding games games outside your house. And alot of popular indie games are on Switch and as many indie games don't really have high processing Switch runs them decently. Hell a Razor Kishi or phone clip with a game controller paried with a phone or tablet can do remote play and play emulators upto PS1/DS/PSP easily, and if your phone is 2 years old you can play upto Wii/PS2.
I get the point that if you already have a hacked switch then sure. But this is dead that the steam deck is only viable for on the go use is insane lmao

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I get the point that if you already have a hacked switch then sure. But this is dead that the steam deck is only viable for on the go use is insane lmao
I think most of us are just looking to expand upon the limited feature set that the Switch has when it's proven (And now implemented in many ways by Nintendo) that it can do more
Plus some standard QoL stuff like dumping your saves locally

Reactions: TLZ

KAL2006

Banned

Thats true if your playing at home you can stream games on your hacked switch, phone or smart phone. Basically what I'm saying is you don't need to purchase another console for portable games at home due to in home game streaming

Outside the latency would be too bad for streaming that's why I said a Deck would be good if you actually play outside.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Do you know if the cheats work on updated versions of the game? Like if you use a game with the latest patch will the cheats work?
Depends on the update; from what I've seen most of the time yeah
You'll see a lot of the "Wait until confirmed," in the Switch scene, but I can't recall any cheats bricking a switch

If not someone will release the same cheat, or you just stay on that update, abuse the cheat then move forwards when you don't need it

Earlier the cart the more control on updates for the game
Edit: inb4 don't use cheats online

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
You should have got the Binbok controller grips. Much better than the Horipad add on. Same size but with better functionality (Gyro and Rumble).

I was going to but reading reviews it's hit or miss, it's cheaper quality with controller's breaking, Analog deadzones and a bad D Pad. As I have a hacked Switch anyways I can use mg PS5 controller for docked mode so I don't need the controller's to be wireless. The only downside is lack of rumble but the I head Binbok controller rumble is so bad. The Hori Pro was less of a gamble as they have made quality controllers for years.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Damn. I guess I got lucky than. I read similar reviews but decided to double down. I must have gotten a decent quality unit. Haven't had any of those issues yet, and the rumble is actually very adjustable on the unit I got.

I have been a huge fan of Hori (love their Fight Commander controllers), but their Flight Stick for the Xbox One really left a lot to be desired.

KAL2006

Banned
Damn. I guess I got lucky than. I read similar reviews but decided to double down. I must have gotten a decent quality unit. Haven't had any of those issues yet, and the rumble is actually very adjustable on the unit I got.

I have been a huge fan of Hori (love their Fight Commander controllers), but their Flight Stick for the Xbox One really left a lot to be desired.

Where did you order from? And how is the D Pad have you played fighting games with it. Also have you played any FPS games. The reason I ask is loads of people may not notice the deadzone but it's their and it's easier to tell in FPS games. And with D Pad a fighting game is the best way to test it, unfortunately not many people are into fighters to test it.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Where did you order from? And how is the D Pad have you played fighting games with it. Also have you played any FPS games. The reason I ask is loads of people may not notice the deadzone but it's their and it's easier to tell in FPS games. And with D Pad a fighting game is the best way to test it, unfortunately not many people are into fighters to test it.

I got it from Amazon. My D-Pad is alright. I play a lot of 2D side scrollers and haven't had an issue with it. In terms of deadzones, I play a lot of Jedi Outcast so far and it feels fine. I did some initial tests when I got the unit; however, I also haven't played my Switch in awhile.

I had heard that they made some revisions on the D-Pad. Not sure how accurate that is.

KAL2006

Banned
I got it from Amazon. My D-Pad is alright. I play a lot of 2D side scrollers and haven't had an issue with it. In terms of deadzones, I play a lot of Jedi Outcast so far and it feels fine. I did some initial tests when I got the unit; however, I also haven't played my Switch in awhile.

I had heard that they made some revisions on the D-Pad. Not sure how accurate that is.

It's a shame there isn't a single accurate review of Binbok. It's always shit yeah it's got gyro, it's got rumble shit I already know about. Id like to see detailed tests from a YouTuber testing if there is deadzone, testing the D Pad for fighters etc. But no mention of these things. YouTube impressions with affiliate links to buy it and just brief preview saying it has rumble and gyro. I've searched tons in YouTube and lack of decent impressions has made me go for the Hori instead as I don't want to take a risk.

Top Bottom