• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Guide To Avoiding The Most Annoying Forum Habit (doctors will hate you for this 1 simple trick)

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So, ever since Evilore opened up the floodgates and accepted like 23,500 new users or whatever, it's crossed my attention and mind that old school forums are a zebra in a room full of horses. Given the shifting demographics of gaming and tech in general, you start to see younger and younger people posting, and One would logically conclude that, for A LOT of these new catches will have never operated on an old school discussion forum. Less instant gratification via Hearts and emojicons (new word) and updootzles and retwats or whatever.

So me, a child of the dial up and hamburger telephones, shall instill the more supremely important and heart achingly ignored rule of forum etiquette. What do you guys think it is? Getting spoiler text right? Learning how to multi-quote? How To make a proper account suicide thread? I shall answer all of these possibilities with a resounding and hearty "Fucking no, kek,"

The real answer is this: allow me a demonstration, patient audience.

In example A., let's take a look at PwnsGreenRatz69. A new user, he approaches the natural habitat of the GAFfer. Gaming section. There he sees a thread about the new Zelda and whether it will be as revolutionary as BotW was for the franchise. Topic promoting discussion about a new or yet to be released product. He posts. He gets responses. Reactions. Replies.

Now, let's look at Example B. New user EyeRailNoobs does much the same. He goes to gaming, interested to engage with the community. He has to make a relevant good first impression, so he goes directly to page 800 and posts in a thread that last had a reply in 2015, titled "Bayonetta won't have a third game," and he makes his proud introduction to the forums with a simple post: "Looks like it did, reeeee,"

Now, one of these behaviors is appropriate. One is not. I've led the horses to water, they have to drink now.

-Minsc-

I cringe at the modern clickbait topic title.

Perhaps there is something to say about how to handle one's self on a forum in an old school vs new school manner. I'll have to sleep on this since I'm over 40 and not staying up past 10:00.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

KrakenIPA

<So, ever since Evilore opened up the floodgates and accepted like 23,500 new users or whatever, >

When did this happen? Check your sources.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
<So, ever since Evilore opened up the floodgates and accepted like 23,500 new users or whatever, >

When did this happen? Check your sources.

My source is Jeff Grubb and Dusk Golem in a Skype call. They said trust me, they knew.

Also, there was a post made about it awhile back. I'm not a reporter, I don't require citations. Same as anything else I say, believe me or don't. If the information is available, it's easy enough to find. If it's not, then that random dude you'll never meet on the internet was full of shit and you caught him. PWND.

KrakenIPA

My source is Jeff Grubb and Dusk Golem in a Skype call. They said trust me, they knew.

Also, there was a post made about it awhile back. I'm not a reporter, I don't require citations. Same as anything else I say, believe me or don't. If the information is available, it's easy enough to find. If it's not, then that random dude you'll never meet on the internet was full of shit and you caught him. PWND.
I like your style, and I believe that your post is interesting. I still need a few moments to conceptualize it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What's the threshold anyways concerning "necro'ing"?

I recently bumped 3 threads that were OT's (at least the Diablo 2 and Nioh 2, did my best to at least find a good thread like an OT) because I had some questions. Got 3 warnings. Look if I bump a 9 year old thread with LOL then sure. I just lacked the confidence to open a thread with what were perhaps stupid questions. Not complaining just not sure

😭😭😭😭😭

Btw 2 of those OT's stayed open and I've gotten great info which I'm thankful for.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Now, let's look at Example B. New user EyeRailNoobs does much the same. He goes to gaming, interested to engage with the community. He has to make a relevant good first impression, so he goes directly to page 800 and posts in a thread that last had a reply in 2015, titled "Bayonetta won't have a third game," and he makes his proud introduction to the forums with a simple post: "Looks like it did, reeeee,"

Now, one of these behaviors is appropriate. One is not. I've led the horses to water, they have to drink now.
Maybe the old threads should be locked to stop people posting in them, eh? Just a thought.

RickSanchez

Gold Member

I recently bumped 3 threads that were OT's (at least the Diablo 2 and Nioh 2, did my best to at least find a good thread like an OT) because I had some questions. Got 3 warnings. Look if I bump a 9 year old thread with LOL then sure. I just lacked the confidence to open a thread with what were perhaps stupid questions. Not complaining just not sure

😭😭😭😭😭

Btw 2 of those OT's stayed open and I've gotten great info which I'm thankful for.
Wait, you get warnings if you resurrect old threads ? i dont remember seeing that in Forum rules.

NinjaBoiX

I don’t mind necrobump’s that much to be honest, it’s sometimes fun to see when exactly the bump occurred and its often a thread I’ve not seen before.

Threads like this are much more annoying, not even trying to be cute.

🤷🏼‍♂️

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wait, you get warnings if you resurrect old threads ? i dont remember seeing that in Forum rules.

I would say it should depend on the thread's subject. Mine were OT's (2 at least) and Diablo 2 was on sale so I'm surely not the only one wanting thread for newbie questions.

Sure i could've made a new one but it is what it is. To be fair. I bumped 3 threads in like an hour so perhaps the mods thought I was spamming so yeah.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I don’t mind necrobump’s that much to be honest, it’s sometimes fun to see when exactly the bump occurred and its often a thread I’ve not seen before.

Threads like this are much more annoying, not even trying to be cute.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Don't worry, you aren't!

It's all in good fun, anyway. I have irl afk, nothing legitimately capital a annoys me on something that I willingly subject myself to, or I just...would stop doing that thing. I'm a problem solver like that. Think of this a parodic take on what I'm sure I'm not the only person who's noticed has been a recent uptick in necro bumping. Or don't think of like anything and we can both go about our mutual respective hobbies of not giving a shit about each other. Whatever way the winds blows, brother.

Soodanim

Gold Member

😭😭😭😭😭

I've always thought that anything in Community (where OTs usually get moved to) are exempt from traditional necro rules. Starting new threads seems like the worse breach of etiquette to me.

Lunarorbit

Thread necro is not the most annoying, it’s click bait titles.

Is this supposed to be double ironic?

I mean, like

If you guys want the one simple trick, it's don't Weekend At Bernie's threads that were made pre-pandemic. IT WASN'T CLICK BAIT.

I mean, it was, but

😭😭😭😭😭

Is it my imagination or is the similar threads list at the bottom relatively new? I think that's where most of the confusion comes from
I don't mind necrobumps if they they contribute something or like what you're talking about 22.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Is it my imagination or is the similar threads list at the bottom relatively new? I think that's where most of the confusion comes from
I don't mind necrobumps if they they contribute something or like what you're talking about 22.

Been there for ages for as far as my reality goes.

Nah I searched for existing threads that were "worth" it imho to use to continue the game's discussion.

GUESS NOT 3 POINTS WARINING

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

😉

At least it wasn't for console warring. That would be quite pathetic indeed.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It looks from the skeletons in this thread that some of my naysayers may have done well to listen to my preachings.

Pwnd, banned guys. Pwnd.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I started using the ignore thread feature and it changed my life.

I'm glad it's a function that's available, for sure. I'm just waaay too old fashioned and forget that there's all these neat ways to tailor personal experience extending beyond simply pleading for people to not be morons.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm glad it's a function that's available, for sure. I'm just waaay too old fashioned and forget that there's all these neat ways to tailor personal experience extending beyond simply pleading for people to not be morons.
To be fair to the morons a big contributor to your particular brand of indigestion is the similar threads feature. It's been known to suggest threads that live on page 800 and the uninitiated wouldn't know that bumping one would hurt someone's feelings.

Toots

Gold Member
So, ever since Evilore opened up the floodgates and accepted like 23,500 new users or whatever, it's crossed my attention and mind that old school forums are a zebra in a room full of horses. Given the shifting demographics of gaming and tech in general, you start to see younger and younger people posting, and One would logically conclude that, for A LOT of these new catches will have never operated on an old school discussion forum. Less instant gratification via Hearts and emojicons (new word) and updootzles and retwats or whatever.

So me, a child of the dial up and hamburger telephones, shall instill the more supremely important and heart achingly ignored rule of forum etiquette. What do you guys think it is? Getting spoiler text right? Learning how to multi-quote? How To make a proper account suicide thread? I shall answer all of these possibilities with a resounding and hearty "Fucking no, kek,"

The real answer is this: allow me a demonstration, patient audience.

In example A., let's take a look at PwnsGreenRatz69. A new user, he approaches the natural habitat of the GAFfer. Gaming section. There he sees a thread about the new Zelda and whether it will be as revolutionary as BotW was for the franchise. Topic promoting discussion about a new or yet to be released product. He posts. He gets responses. Reactions. Replies.

I cannot believe that noone saw the trap in OPs question.

Exemple A is a console warring sonyfag, just look at his name (he pawns xbox players and would do salacious things to women if he ever could talk to one). Then why is he socializing with nintenboys, praising the Zelda franchise ? Goes against everything he stands for.
My guess is he's working a long con. He'll get the trust of the nintenkids, scam them for thousands of $ with fake pokemon cards and ditch them lilke the brainless children they are.
Exemple B is just a harmless low level troll so of course he's the one to follow.

mitch1971

😭😭😭😭😭

One of the problems I see with this site and it's 'rule'. Get warned for simply 'saving space' on the forum. Then someone posts a thread and you get comments like 'does this need a new thread, couldnt you post in the OT about it'. It's unclear and stupid. It's like, sometimes, they don't want you to post.

Top Bottom