• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A full Zelda: Ocarina of Time fanmade PC port is now complete and available online

Draugoth

Gold Member
zelda-pc-port-e1647984747602-1920x1180.jpg

The unofficial PC port of Nintendo 64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has been completed and widely released online, VGC can confirm.

The PC port includes many new features such as HD graphics, ultra-widescreen resolution, keyboard support, modding support, force feedback and gyroscope aiming.

And developer Harbour Masters claims it’s working on adding text to speech, 60fps visuals, twin-stick camera controls, HD models and audio, texture packs, and Linux and Mac support for future updates.
The fan-made PC version is powered by a piece of software called ‘Ship of Harkinian’. Ship of Harkinian was made available for download on its Discord server on Tuesday.

The software requires users to input their own legally-sourced N64 ROM for Ocarina of Time, after which it will extract the game’s assets and spit out a native PC version.

alf717

This one is setup differently from the Mario 64 port. You have to find a debug rom in order for it to work but it does work well. A much safer way to distribute a port than with actual Nintendo assets.

Psychostar

Is this the same type of build we saw as the super mario 64 version that was completely built from the ground up using unique code, making it skirt away from "ip theft"? Because that'd be so sweet.

Xyphie

Is this the same type of build we saw as the super mario 64 version that was completely built from the ground up using unique code, making it skirt away from "ip theft"? Because that'd be so sweet.

Yes. It's a similar kind of project with the original MIPS code decompiled and then re-implemented, so it's a native build for whatever the target platform is, rather than something emulated.

jigglet

Banned
Nintendo be like “how’d you do that?”

I remember there was an interview with Iwata about the development of the Wii U, he said his team went out to research what the competition was doing in regards to online. Like 4 years after the Xbox 360 came out, they were like "oh, this is interesting, is this how it's done?". I remember laughing so fucking hard thinking these guys live in such a bubble they have no fucking idea what's going on and if it weren't for R&D for a new console, they were happy to live in complete ignorance.

Anyway my point being, if it wasn't for the lawyers, I bet they'd never see anything, anywhere.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Nintendo: Can you give us your address we would like to send you some gifts.

SJRB

Gold Member
People don't learn, do they?

Whoever did this is going to get fucked up the ass by NintenDON'TDOTHISWEHATETHISITISOURGAMEYOUAREDOINGSOMETHINGILLEGAL

baphomet

People don't learn, do they?

Whoever did this is going to get fucked up the ass by NintenDON'TDOTHISWEHATETHISITISOURGAMEYOUAREDOINGSOMETHINGILLEGAL

Nothing remotely illegal has been released.

He could release it on his personal Facebook tied directly to his home address and Nintendo couldn't even think about attempting to do anything.

zweifuss

So lawyers were able to shut down the GTA reverse engineered thing but not this? Awesome! I love this kind of thing, imagine for example goldeneye decompilation as a native pc port how cool would that be.

BlackTron

This is one of the few games I still insist on using original hardware on, but this might change everything.

Basically what I wanted for Zelda 35 instead of Skyward Sword.

Last zelda game I played and loved was A Link to the Past as I never had N64 growing up. I recently tried breath of the wild a couple years back on WiiU but that didn't really do much for me (didn't get much past one of the giant fort guys, game wasn't my cup of tea).

Keeping that in mind, is this worth a play through these days or is this mostly rose colored nostalgia for those who have already played it?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Wonder why ocarina of time is getting talked about and ports in 2022? Because it’s better than “pretty good” it should have been in the gaming hall of fame years ago.

Romulus

Last zelda game I played and loved was A Link to the Past as I never had N64 growing up. I recently tried breath of the wild a couple years back on WiiU but that didn't really do much for me (didn't get much past one of the giant fort guys, game wasn't my cup of tea).

Keeping that in mind, is this worth a play through these days or is this mostly rose colored nostalgia for those who have already played it?

I couldn't finish Botw either after going back to it a few times. I would say Ocarina of Time is worth a shot for sure though.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
due to this being a native PC version now means that people can literally modify in all the assets in that version to this new PC version + add way more than that.

To some extent, yes, but the 3DS version went well beyond simply upgrading assets. For instance, all the 2D areas (static background, like houses, castle town, etc) from the original game were converted into fullly rendered scenes.

Banned
To some extent, yes, but the 3DS version went well beyond simply upgrading assets. For instance, all the 2D areas (static background, like houses, castle town, etc) from the original game were converted into fullly rendered scenes.

which can also be implemented into the PC version.
in the original these scenes are still 3d rooms with collision boxes and everything, all one would need to do is import the assets from the 3DS version and then place them in the corresponding spots in these rooms

00_Zer0

Edit-The OP is kind of misleading. Right now you cannot use your own retail backup rom to get this running. You have to travel to the high seas and find a special debug rom to get it up and running.

I know multiple teams are working on PC ports, but these are useless to me until I can use my own OoT cartridge backup rom to compile the PC port. Right now you have to use a special version of a debug rom out there and I don't feel comfortable downloading and using that to create the PC port. It could be quite some time before the ports out there now support a US retail version of the rom, but I'll just watch and wait in excitement as the PC port gets QOL improvements.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The support was shared on Thursday as part of the fan development team’s latest “Ship of Harkinian Direct”, when Habour Masters also confirmed several new features now available as part of the latest update.

That includes a free camera mode, the ability to equip items to d-pad (including tunics and boots), support for up to 250fps, and an item randomiser mode, as well as a host of new cheats like the ability to adjust Link’s fall damage.

The next release of the port, named Rachael Alfa, is now available on the team’s official Discord. The new features were unveiled via a video published on Thursday (embedded below).

Ship of Harkinian brought Zelda: Ocarina of Time to PC earlier this year with many new features such as HD graphics, ultra-widescreen resolution, keyboard support, modding support, force feedback and gyroscope aiming.

Reactions: RNG

Xdrive05

Wow. Never thought I'd get to play 240fps OoT but I just did it.

It looks weird, and awesome. I never realized the little "sprite flip" thing they do when an item drop comes out of grass that you cut. The sprite does an inverted flip a the top of the arc. You don't really notice it in the original 24fps version of the game, but with 10 times the framerate you see it clearly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom