• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Final Fantasy X-3 story synopsis exists and the possibility of it being made "is not zero"

While we might all be focused on other games in the series, Square Enix hasn't forgotten about the Final Fantasy X universe - and in fact, some of the key elements of a continuation of that world already exist.

In a new interview with Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu that's been reported on Japanese blogs, key FF10 staff discuss the concept of a sequel to that game, and explain where they're at on it.

"If we are to make X-3, we somehow have a synopsis written by Nojima-san," explains character designer Tetsuya Nomura, who has recently been busy as the creative lead on revisiting another Final Fantasy world with FF7 Remake. "It's sleeping right now, but the plot itself does exist."

"I had the opportunity to work with people who entered the game industry after playing FF7. But now that phase has moved and now I'm going with people who entered after playing FFX," adds Kazushige Nojima, the scenario writer of the original FF10 as well as this new sequel plot treatment.

Ultimately, any sequel will likely use a recent audio play as a storyline springboard. The HD Remaster of the FF10 series features a new story called Final Fantasy X -Will-, an audio drama recorded by bringing back the voice stars of the original game.

The audio drama takes place one year after the events of Final Fantasy X-2, and while it's focused on two new characters called Chuami and Kurgum, it features Tidus, Yuna, Lulu, and Wakka post-FF10. Tetsuya Nomura even produced concept art of the slightly older versions of the beloved characters, as well as the newcomers.

The story touches on many themes of FF10 in its brief runtime, but the basic thrust of it is that it emerges that if Tidus can return, as he does in FF10-2, so too can Sin. Sin does thus promptly return, and the story ends with Yuna declaring she will defeat Sin again.

FF10 lead Motomu Toriyama also spoke to Famitsu, noting that there's no real possibility of this happening while the multi-part adventure of FF7 Remake is still in production. That means any FF10 sequel will be a while off - FF7 Remake is likely to run for at least two or three more games.

"The probability is not zero," Toriyama says of a Final Fantasy X-3, "But we are not in a phase where we can talk about it, unless we have finished producing FF7 Remake."

I would take Final Fantasy X-3 over any more Final Fantasy remakes to be honest. Final Fantasy X is one of my favorite titles in the series.

OrionNebula

Jim Carrey No GIF

Not happening

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I liked X and played X-2 once, but it was incredibly forgettable for some reason. Maybe a story focused on Jecht and Tidus' mother with a decent blitzball would interest me. I thought the concept of sin was interesting from X.

Kuranghi

LOL this is going to be fucking terrible especially if they use the story from Nojima’s novel where
Tidus kicks an exploding blitzball and dies

I've never even played the games but I know the characters and what blitzball is and this made me laugh so hard :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Is that to make way for a new protag or does that happen at the end or something? I don't which is funnier. Theres just something inherently funny about bombs being put inside sports equipment, I don't know why :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Aion002

I would buy it... Day one... But I would rather have other games.

And if they do it... Please...

Low Income Please GIF by Operator Records

Don't use that shitty, stupid, idiotic and absurd story about
Tidus dying, being resurrected and then being jealous of Yuna or some other shit turning the story in a freaking shoujo manga.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I've never even played the games but I know the characters and what blitzball is and this made me laugh so hard :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Is that to make way for a new protag or does that happen at the end or something? I don't which is funnier. Theres just something inherently funny about bombs being put inside sports equipment, I don't know why :messenger_tears_of_joy:
LOL I don’t even know. Honestly it has my least favorite cast of characters in a FF game so I never bothered to read it. I just know it became instantly infamous for being like D-list fan fiction. Sounds like something that should happen in The 3 Stooges or something

LOL I don’t even know. Honestly it has my least favorite cast of characters in a FF game so I never bothered to read it. I just know it became instantly infamous for being like D-list fan fiction. Sounds like something that should happen in The 3 Stooges or something
That's because it was. "violent is the word for Curly" in which three pissed off professors rig a basketball with Nitro Glycerin, only to end up blown up by their own trap when the stooges miss the shot.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
That's because it was. "violent is the word for Curly" in which three pissed off professors rig a basketball with Nitro Glycerin, only to end up blown up by their own trap when the stooges miss the shot.
LOL I swear I’ve never seen that but now I’m going to watch it.

Final Fantasy VI: inspired by Star Wars, Nausicaa, and Laputa

Final Fantasy X: inspired by the 3 Stooges and Meg Ryan

Kimahri

Banned
God I'm so tired of Final Fantasy VII. I am just so done with it. It just gets in the way.

I need some color in my Final Fantasies again. Color and wimsy. It's all so dreary and overly amitious. Give me a game. One. Then move on to the next. Don't keep me locked to th3 same universe, the same characters for years. They're not interesting enough.

YCoCg

I never understood why even back then, there was prime material for a prequel where you play as Auron on the last pilgrimage to get the full back story and events.

X is one of my fav games of all time but I didn't enjoy X-2 enough to play a third game. I still havnt finished x-2 and have no intention to.

Azurro

Banned
X-2 was already terrible, X didn't need a sequel, this would be even more unnecessary. Let it sleep and release XVI and XVII and make them GREAT games, rather than going for the nostalgia bucks.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hope it happens. Nomura should be quarantined to sequels & kingdom hearts than be allowed to direct a full blown FFXVII. :messenger_sunglasses:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don't even like FF X but that isn't real. Outdated shit post that got out of control.

is it? This says it’s real.
They explore the forest hoping to find a clue on how to return home when a ball rolls towards them. Tidus mistakes it as a blitzball and runs towards it while looking around for its owner. It explodes, killing Tidus and Yuna passes out from the shock

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Not interested in FFX: The After Years.

Will take FFX prequel starring Auron, Jecht and Braska instead.

I'd rather have new stories over rehashes of stories they've already told.

A FFX sequel where Yuna fights Sin again just sounds bad to me.

Azurro

Banned
The absolute state of Square Enix.

They're basically admiting that they don't have competence and talent to make new worlds anymore.
It's much cheaper to just reuse something that is already done, so I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to make sequels for all post FF7 Final Fantasies (8, 9 and 10)

If they are going to go that route, I'd rather them remake XII, since it wasn't actually finished, with Vaan and Penelo removed.

The absolute state of Square Enix.

They're basically admiting that they don't have competence and talent to make new worlds anymore.
It's much cheaper to just reuse something that is already done, so I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to make sequels for all post FF7 Final Fantasies (8, 9 and 10)
I think they are mostly just gauging interest. We are still getting another new world and story with Final Fantasy XVI and I'm sure we'll see XVII too.

But I don't really trust them to do another remake without rewriting the story.

ManaByte

Honestly, every FF after X has really boring story and characters.
They will definitely continue making those, but Square-Enix is lacking vision and confidence.

They've realized there's opportunity to earn more money in a cheaper way, and I can see them abusing that strategy unfortunately.
FFXVI is being done by the FFXIV team.

Moochi

It makes about as much sense as Forest Gump 2. X-2 was a silly side story. Where do you go from there? Who wants it?

Why do they honestly think tarnishing the reputation of FFX is a good idea? Let it go. FFX was Uematsu's swan song, he never contributed in a significant way to another offline FF title's soundtrack ever again. FFX was Sakaguchi's swan song, he left Square Enix after it was completed. It was the end of an era for FF and Jesus Christ Square Enix can you just fucking leave it alone already?

Ixion

It would have to be at least another 6 to 8 years before the FF7R project is done, so hopefully they just forget about this FFX sequel idea by then.

I'd rather have a remake, or a Braska prequel, or just a new numbered installment because FFX-2, while a fun game, kind of put the series in an odd spot when it comes to producing more sequels. I like to think of FFX-2 as wacky bonus content, and it doesn't really work as being part of an epic trilogy as if it were The Two Towers or something.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
knowing square, we will get something like this

TGIxmn3JXm2qZ2m7Eas6Tt_5AP819adflro9sFYEXHA.jpg
It can be about Jecht, Auron, and Braska driving to the final summoning. Then their car breaks down. Then they read about Sin destroying a town in the newspaper. Then they spend the next several weeks camping out, eating at diners, finding frogs, fishing, delivering tomatoes, and cooking gourmet meals.

Top Bottom