• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A CSGO AK-47 Skin Has Sold for $160,000 in Public Sale

Draugoth

Gold Member
Counter-strike-Global-Offensive-Screenshot-2020.08.07-18.01.24.68-1.jpg

On March 13th, a wealthy Chinese collector made a historic purchase on the CSGO skins market, securing a super-rare AK-47 skin for a whopping $160,000. It may seem like a lot, but this is just one of the most high-value skin sales in the history of the game, and there are even more expensive skins sitting on the market at present.

However, it’s still a monumental transaction, and sales like this are relatively few and far between, reserved almost exclusively for the richest collectors in the world. This CSGO AK-47 skin’s value stands as a firm contender for the top spot, and this may not be the last time it sees the light of day.

One of the Most Valuable Skin Sales Ever​

This CSGO AK-47 skin, which is named ‘Wild Lotus’, was added to the game in 2019, and at the time of sale, it boasted ‘Factory New’ condition. There are various condition gradings when it comes to CSGO skins, and the more pristine the skin, the more valuable it’ll tend to be.

It’s estimated that fewer than 3,000 of these skins are currently in circulation.

Bizarrely, it wasn’t the base skin that made this transaction so valuable, as the Wild Lotus AK-47 tends to fetch prices of around $10,000. It’s still a valuable skin, but how did it come to be worth $160,000?

Before the skin was listed (and subsequently sold), the previous owner slapped on four ‘Reason Holo’ stickers, obtained from the 2014 Katowice CSGO Major. This is one of the most legendary esports tournaments in the CSGO scene, and each sticker is worth approximately $40,000.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I wish I had that kind of money for such bullshit. I always thought these colored weapons looked silly and would only distract me.

Last edited:
Damn the person must be a baller if $160k is nothing to drop it on a skin.

As for long term value - it’ll depend if CSGO remains popular 20 years from now and valve doesn’t eventually give these out for cheap/make it easily attainable. If this all comes to pass, then value will go up and may look like a good purchase.

ironmang

I remember when I thought 2k for a Dragon Lore was insane back in 2015.

Kind of hope they don't transfer skins over to the upcoming CS just for the inevitable meltdowns when the old skins tank.

Holammer

You know all the antique shows where they have some esteemed professor explaining to the audience how this piece of pottery is worth millions. There's something similar in the CSGO scene, but there you have a pasty white fat guy in a white balaclava and a voice that's about to collapse from all the screaming explaining how the float, paint seed and other factors determines the value of a new knife drop.

You know all the antique shows where they have some esteemed professor explaining to the audience how this piece of pottery is worth millions. There's something similar in the CSGO scene, but there you have a pasty white fat guy in a white balaclava and a voice that's about to collapse from all the screaming explaining how the float, paint seed and other factors determines the value of a new knife drop.
Lol come on - the esteemed professor at the pottery antique show is a pasty white fat guy too

I've been investing in CSGO items and cases for 2 years now, on the cases im about 700% up, one of my most valuable item is a Crimson Web Butterfly Knife I unboxed for 20$, currently worth around 1500$.

Much better than stocks or crypto
you’re definitely ahead of the curve. One can argue CSGO items have more legitimate value than something like crypto. There are use cases (to be a baller while playing), there are whales who enjoy the game, and there is a market of millions of people.

Last edited:

Holammer

Here's a good video showing how the value of a very valuable knife is determined. The guy paid 6k € for it.

Lillie

wonder what will happen to everyone's skins in CS 2 if that comes out lol. Imagine the rage if they didn't carry over the skins lol. That would never happen though lol I'm sure they would carry them over

Phase

I mean if you are a millionaire or a billionaire not really that retarded. 160K is basically like $1000 for those types of people. You do realize everything is relative yes? Don't be jealous man, stop complaining and start working hard, find your passion and go make that money.
Calling him jealous and a complainer? Such a stupid take. Things like this aren't going to make this industry any better.

you’re definitely ahead of the curve. One can argue CSGO items have more legitimate value than something like crypto. There are use cases (to be a baller while playing), there are whales who enjoy the game, and there is a market of millions of people.

Its definetly an "easier" market, I dont think i've ever lost money on any item or cases, since they stop dropping after a while, just buy the cases when they are something like 3cents, pick the ones that hold the most desirable skins and wait for them to stop dropping, usually theres a nice bump up. Clutch cases for example should settle at around 1$, and the majority i've bought around 9c.

wonder what will happen to everyone's skins in CS 2 if that comes out lol. Imagine the rage if they didn't carry over the skins lol. That would never happen though lol I'm sure they would carry them over
Valve makes something like a Billion a month on CSGO skins, I highly doubt they would hurt that cash cow, if they do no one would ever invest in skins on csgo.

nkarafo

Thanks, i'll just stick with my good old single player games and try to be offline as long as possible. I don't want to know.

DaGwaphics

An expensive car, a budget condo, or a stupid looking skin for a rifle in a video game. Such are the choices in life.

An expensive car, a budget condo, or a stupid looking skin for a rifle in a video game. Such are the choices in life.
Or all three? Lol. The stupidest thing I've seen are people who buy half a million dollar vehicle but live in a tiny shack that costs like $300K. Doesn't look very fitting.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Or all three? Lol. The stupidest thing I've seen are people who buy half a million dollar vehicle but live in a tiny shack that costs like $300K. Doesn't look very fitting.

Very true, but at least the condo and the car have real value. I could be a trillionaire and I'd still never pay $160k for a skin in a video game. Regardless of the money I had, I'd only spend 160k on something that was realistically valued at 160k.

hinch7

Actually earned a bit of money on CSGo. Got super lucky with a lootbox. People spend silly amounts on skins on there. Especially on legendary knives.

$160K is absurd though.

Last edited:

Edder1

Wouldn't be surprised if this was someone from Valve making the purchase in order to give the game more publicity and push the NFT agenda. Really hard to imagine someone out there is stupid enough to buy the thing for their own use.

Last edited:
Very true, but at least the condo and the car have real value. I could be a trillionaire and I'd still never pay $160k for a skin in a video game. Regardless of the money I had, I'd only spend 160k on something that was realistically valued at 160k.
It really just boils down to what the individual values. If this dude is loaded (obviously he is) he must really love the game and he is a collector, so he finds the value in this hobby. He has the money, so he does it. Obviously it makes him happy. Is it a silly thing to spend money? Yeah probably, but then again I've spent $100s of dollars in a course of many years on Fortnite skins but I've enjoyed my time with the game and the skins.

hinch7

Wouldn't be surprised if this was someone from Valve making the purchase in order to give the game more publicity and push the NFT agenda. Really hard to imagine someone out there is stupid enough to buy the thing for their own use.
Nah there's a huge marketplace for these skins. Its probably some streamer who has more money than sense.

Edder1

Nah there's a huge marketplace for these skins. Its probably some streamer who has more money than sense.
Maybe you're right. I gues I'm too innocent and naive to even understand how the psyche of these type of people works. The only way I can explain it is if this skin had a huge resell value, or maybe it's just someone with too much money who wants some attention like you said.

Last edited:

hinch7

Maybe you're right. I gues I'm too innocent and naive to even understand how the psyche of these type of people works. The only way I can explain it is if this skin had a huge resell value, or maybe it's just someone with too much money who wants some attention like you said.
No worries.. its not common knowledge. Just think of these skins like NFT's. The rarer they are the more valuable they are. Its a lucrative business. You have Valve making money on it with their marketplace and the numerous skin websites that sell them on third party/grey market. There's dodgy skin gambling websites that basically work like playing roulette lootbox, with skins. As for buying super rare skins, its common that the most sought after ones are sold in the thousands.

Some streamers play games like CS for a living/part time job. They play, trade and open boxes for a living so spending that much is an investment for them https://www.valvetime.net/these-twitch-streamers-earn-thousands-of-dollars-playing-csgo/
And the shadier side of CS Go skins with gambling websites https://www.polygon.com/features/2016/7/18/12203534/counter-strike-cs-go-skin-gambling

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
And now you understand why game devs wanted to chase NFTs. If they can tap into a skin economy like this game they would be set forever. Can work off small skeleton crews like Valve does and just make big bucks selling boxes of shit they themselves don't even make.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I heard it was a choice between buying a useless videogame skin or setting his Bentley on fire for the fuck of it.

Freeman76

I thought the money went into your steam wallet? I sold a pubg twitch drop for £60 but had no way of taking it out lol

Rhazkul

pasty white fat guy in a white balaclava and a voice that's about to collapse from all the screaming explaining how the float, paint seed and other factors determines the value of a new knife drop.

What's up with the racism?
And believe it or not: CSGO is incredibly popular in SEA, UAE etc. So, i wouldn't even be surprised if some oil prince oligarch in Saudi Arabia dropped that amount for a skin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom