• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Brit is on holiday in Kabul

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGiRanger

Banned
We did though. That's empirically true. We didn't win it alone but we'd all be speaking German right now if we didn't get involved.
And the USA certainly carried the lions share of the work against Imperial Japan (yes the Soviets helped at the end).

On a tangent, Imperial Japan is often bought up as a success in "nation building". But just even a cursory glance at how that worked out would show it is in no way comparable to any country in the middle east, nor the circumstances.

At the end of the war Imperial Japan had been utterly decimated, not just because of the nukes either, with cities like Tokyo reduced to nothing but embers. And of course just the completely different cultures and religious contrasts between things.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Am in permanent cringe mode over every commentator's strident denunciation of this situation - while at the same time making sure that they don't actually ever mention the problem: religion. The mental gymnastics on display not to offend anyone must be hell on their backbones.
You don't have to worry about their mental gymnastics if you don't pay any attention to them in the first place (my preferred method).

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
What a Mad Lad.

God speed Miles of Arabia 👍

Heard on the radio that the Taliban have Drones now GG 👍 great way to arm your enemies
Similar thing happened when the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan in the 80s.

They left behind millions of pieces of equipment including guns, trucks, etc. It's what terrorists have used to arm themselves for decades.

I can only imagine the goodies America left behind for the fucks this time. It makes me sick to think about.

GamingKaiju

Similar thing happened when the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan in the 80s.

They left behind millions of pieces of equipment including guns, trucks, etc. It's what terrorists have used to arm themselves for decades.

I can only imagine the goodies America left behind for the fucks this time. It makes me sick to think about.

Yeh they did I hope the US installed kill switches in the drones if some have been left behind.

If you're talking about stringers. Yeah US did that. If you're talking about new tech....then look towards Pakistan.

The more you know.

Again, GG on arming your enemies 👍 Pakistan aint no ally to the west.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
So regarding the situation there it seems strange to me all these people are fleeing afganisthan, falling from plane and escaping from taliban

this are the table of country who support the rule implemented by taliban
tWKbg6G.png

As you can see over 99% afganisthan citizen actually support it

I know this is old ( from 2012) but i dont think statistic like this will change drasticly over a short period of time

So whats with the change of attitude

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
The problem is that backwards religious belief leads to this kind of thing. Now, I'm of course not suggesting that all religious people are like these head chopping lunatics, but the basis for their lunacy does indeed come from their holy book, in the same way Christian lunacy comes from the bible. The Taliban's cause is 100% shaped by their religious belief. Ergo, the reason this is all happening the way it is, is because of religion. Could The Taliban have formed around a secular ideology? Possibly. Would it have resulted in the direct subjugation of an entire gender, and a march across the country completely unopposed? Doubtful.
Secularism cannot mitigate secular religions like Communism.

There is no safe ground.

I guess the question isn’t so much what we already spent. It’s what it would’ve cost to prevent this complete debacle. I’m not sure I know the answer, but this is about the worst possible outcome.

We would have had to stay there indefinitely propping up the government that either has no interest in defending itself, or is so completely inept and corrupt that they couldnt withstand for even a weekend even with American supplied firepower (btw, Im sure the Taliban is really excited about the new toys they came into possession of).

I dont see any other way this could have been prevented. Sure, the time tables make this look particularly bad but was there any other real outcome of us leaving that did not result in the Taliban or some other extremist group seizing control? We must have known for at least a decade that the Afghan government would never be able to stand on its own two feet...how could we not?

My answer would be stir the pot in their home and not ours. Right or wrong that's what was decided kiddo. Blaming here makes our country and us people look befuddled. It's a bad look. Just so you know.
all anyone has to do is turn on TV to see that we are a befuddled people right now. Its a bad look? Sorry but I am not a paid PR rep and I doubt anybody as much interest in my opinion in all honestly. The last 20 years in the ME has been a cluster fuck and it doesnt take someone reading my opinion on GAF to come to this conclusion.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
So regarding the situation there it seems strange to me all these people are fleeing afganisthan, falling from plane and escaping from taliban

this are the table of country who support the rule implemented by taliban
tWKbg6G.png

As you can see over 99% afganisthan citizen actually support it

I know this is old ( from 2012) but i dont think statistic like this will change drasticly over a short period of time

So whats with the change of attitude

i dunno man, but maybe it’s perhaps that they’ve seen the difference whenever you can actually go to school as a female, have a job etc. Listen to music without getting lashed in the street. I dunno just maybe.

Banned
Political or not this is history. Glad the US is finally getting out of Afghanistan. Trillions of dollars down the toilet and nothing to show for it.

Most Americans don’t give a shit what happens over there. Heck, I can’t remember anyone or randoms talking about it in how long? Most don’t care.

Now, no new wars please.

belmarduk

Oh the irony, seeing people trying to suppress discussion with preemptive obedience in a thread about an extremist group who can't tolerate even slightly different opinion to their dogma...
Are you seriously equating NeoGAF with the fucking Taliban?

Yoboman

I havent followed much other than I know Taliban is taking back over but did we seriously just LEAVE everything behind? like what the fuck
If it takes a trillion to start a war and take all that equipment there it would take an equal amount to get it back

But yeah they've basically funded the next generation of terrorism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom