• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 4K Switch works better as a Pro model and not a successor

Banned
So Nintendo's own words are highly suggesting that a 4K Switch will be a thing soon.

The first thought many people will immediately jump to is "how could they even make it powerful enough?" because when people hear 4K they automatically think Xbox One X or PS4 Pro and how games look on them + how much hardware power they needed to come even close to being 4K ready.

BUT that's not how Nintendo would go about if they really wanted a 4K Switch.

How did it work for Xbox and Sony?
well Sony went the checkerboarding route with their 4K system, meaning they designed the system so that it would have about twice the GPU performance of the base PS4 and so that it's able to push twice was many pixels per second, which is roughly what you need to reach 2160cb.
Microsoft wanted to reach native 4K as best as possible, they needed a 4x boost at least and went with a5x boost so that 900p Xbox One game can run at 4k.

notice how it's always about playing base system games at higher resolutions! not about improving graphic in general necessarily.

this means that if this 4K Switch is a Pro system and not a successor, all is would need is a chip that's 4x as powerful as the current Switch.

looking at the Switch revision that uses an upgraded Tegra X1 we see that even that chip can theoretically reach way higher performance numbers than what it currently does due to it being severely under clocked in order to improve battery life.
that chip could reach basically around 2x the performance it currently does in the Switch revision without any hardware changes.

it is not that far fetched to expect Nvidia to have such a chip ready by next year or even now already.

games would still be developed with the original Switch and the Switch Lite in mind (tho I would expect that the 4K Switch will replace the base Switch, but not the Lite) and would simply run at 4x the resolution on the 4K Switch or maybe offer performance modes like PS4 Pro and One X games do.

this would obviously mean that not every game would reach native 4K as many Switch titles run below the 1080p target resolution of the current Switch, but even games that only run at 720p on the base Switch could at least reach a still solid 1440p on such a theoretical 4K Switch, for many people that's more than enough and a giant step up from the 720p on the base Switch.

this theoretical Switch could also offer a 1080p Screen since such a chip should have no issue running games at close to 1080p in Handheld mode while also having similar or better battery life compared to the launch Switch model.

ontop of that the new model could offer a power saver mode in Handheld mode which runs games at base Switch/Switch Lite settings.

TLDR:
so in short, a simple 4x increase in GPU performance could offer Switch games at 1440p to 4K, with 1080p Handheld modes and keep the current Switch ecosystem intact, while still offering a way better experience for people who use their Switch on a 4k TV.

the current chip inside the revised Switch could already offer around 2x the performance it currently does if it was clocked at its peak spec clocks. so it's not hard to imagine a chip that could offer a 4x boost (which would amount to a chip that is 2x as powerful as the current Switch's chip clocked at peak clocks)

so I don't expect this to be a Switch 2, instead it will IMO target Switch graphics at 4x the resolution, exactly like the One X did for Xbox One games, which will also mean the current Switch owners will not be left behind.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I agree, and I would love it if that's what the Switch Pro actually is. I want games to look and run great, not have a new piece of hardware that while better, puts us in the same position we're in now... just at a higher resolution. And frankly, I'd just like to see the Switch's software library continue to grow unabated instead of hitting the reset switch.

Knightime_X

512gb sd cards won't cut the cookie with 4k gaming.
Super Switch needs to be stationary and use an actual SSD \ HDD.

A stronger, more powerful Switch would also allow for Nintendo to port newer games over to the Switch with games like Cyberpunk 2077 and others. It will bring a more mature consumer segment to the Switch's ecosystem.

xGreir

People seems to forget that nowadays chips as the Snapdragon 865+ already exist, as the Apple flagship does too, making 4x the Switch power ridiculous easy.

If nvidia and Nintendo wanted, we could have a New Nintendo Switch with near Xone performance without being even near more expensive than the actual model.

Yet... They just don't move a finger 🥺

ShinjiPSX001

Neo Member
its has to be a new console.. not an UPGRADE.. all the upgrade consoles got forgotten after 3 or 4 games.

a new console with BC.

Ribi

Knowing nintendo they'd just upscale to 4k with a 1080p screen and keep last gen graphicsa those dolts will eat it up.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
its has to be a new console.. not an UPGRADE.. all the upgrade consoles got forgotten after 3 or 4 games.

a new console with BC.
No way this will be a new console after only 3-4 years of Switch on the market. Knowing Nintendo they are building some useless gimmick to put in their new console, where they can also port and sell you the same Switch games again for the full price.
Fuck, I'm going to pay again for a fucking screen that I'm not going to use.
That necro-bump.

scydrex

They should make a Non Switch Pro. Only for TV or docked. If not then a real Switch Pro. The hardware on the switch itself updated. Not a add on chip or anything like that.

balgajo

No way this will be a new console after only 3-4 years of Switch on the market. Knowing Nintendo they are building some useless gimmick to put in their new console, where they can also port and sell you the same Switch games again for the full price.

That necro-bump.
I did some shit and that appeared to be from today. lol

AJUMP23

That necro-bump.
What do you think their new gimmick would be? I don't know what they would have left to do, unless they were going to go to VR.

REDRZA MWS

Listen, the original switch idea was great, handlheld that could be docked and played on a big screen. Their install base is massive and Kees growing. But then they introduced the switch lite, which is a pure handheld.

This being the case, the next iteration should have been a hone console that outputs at 4k. This dock shit is a cheap work around. There are some people who will never use it portably. Those people deserve a real home console version.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Listen, the original switch idea was great, handlheld that could be docked and played on a big screen. Their install base is massive and Kees growing. But then they introduced the switch lite, which is a pure handheld.

This being the case, the next iteration should have been a hone console that outputs at 4k. This dock shit is a cheap work around. There are some people who will never use it portably. Those people deserve a real home console version.
I Think Not No GIF by Bounce

killatopak

Gold Member
a 4k version on handheld even by using some magical upscaler or dlss would need hardware to be sold at least $400 or more.

I just don’t see Nintendo doing that price. Also knowing how Nintendo operates, I very much doubt they will sell it at a loss. I just can’t see a Pro model doing 4k. Maybe 1080p on portable mode at the very best with some dips on more demanding games?

Many games aren’t even 1080p on Switch. I’m not sure a 4K update will really be enough for people to upgrade.

Also, the biggest issues are in handheld mode, and there is no chance they get a 4K screen on the actual system.

Intoxicate

Please Nintendo, OLED screen for switch pro.

If Sony can do it you can too.

Games would look amazing.
The OLED screen on the vita was less then optimum. The IPS screen on the Switch is good compared to that or the 3DS, but a pitty when you compare it to any modern phone. So I share your hopes for a modern higher end display.

Tschumi

I... I don't actually think a successor will ever be called for.. they can just release new models every now and then like iPhones... but less insidious

mcjmetroid

I believe the best marketing strategy is to make this as part of the successor to Switch.

Nintendo don't often make sense but I'd bet this is their successor to Switch.

If it's not you run into the new 3ds situation which didn't work out for them.

This potential switch 2 unit WILL upscale older games as suggested but will be able to play new exclusive games as well.

But think of this as well, if the switch does indeed bring a brand new console sequel, what's the selling point? Better graphics, better resolution?

Again Nintendo gamers will play this yes but graphics and resolution are not selling points for Nintendo games or people who buy Nintendo systems and what's the point if the system can't hold a candle to PS4/Xboxseries

I think this IS going to be a new console, It will be compatible and upscale switch 1 games,
It wil be a hybrid system but there will be one other gimmick.
Nintendo will need a gimmick to sell it.

Meesh

Hypothetically what do you guys they'll do for Swit2h? Realistically. I'm not too computer savvy but im curious to hear what some of you want vs. What you think we'll get.

Top Bottom