• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8K and the PlayStation 5

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Sony is missing out. They need to get on that Retro PS1 and PS2 color designs.

30 years anniversary in 2024... we should expect something.

61vpR8nQkvL.jpg

Killer8

8K is pointless anyway. It's like 96kHz FLAC audio. Human biology becomes the limiting factor in being able to see/hear any appreciable difference in normal usage scenarios.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
2 years ago I got a PlayStation 5 and the box says that the console supports 8K. Now here we are in 2022 and this still isn’t true (yet?).

I know the 8K TV market is small but that isn’t the point of this thread. Why did Sony even put it on the box in the first place? Do they still plan to add this feature at some point in the future or have they abandoned it entirely? If a console manufacturer advertises a feature but then ends up not adding the feature until 5 years into the console’s lifespan for example, is that accurate advertising?

As far as use cases, The Tourist runs internally at 8K on ps5 but downsamples to 4K because the console doesn’t support it and the developer says they’ll release a patch once the console does support it. The new 2D TMNT game already runs at 4K 60 fps on ps4 pro and they’re releasing an identical ps5 version… could it have supported 8K if the console allowed it? Maybe some ps2 games could also be remastered to run at 8K? Could Persona 5 Royal have been released on PS5 in 8K perhaps?

Do I plan to buy an 8K tv soon? No, but I like tech and it would be very interesting to see. I didn’t own a 4K TV when the PS4 Pro came out but I’m glad that it did support 4K because later years when I bought a PS5 I was able to catch up on many games I had missed while playing in 4K. What do you guys think… false advertising or are they actually going to add it someday?

Sybrix

8K..... blah blah blah

Most PS5 games aren't even 4K native res and you guys are wanting 8K.......lol

PS7 maybe for 8K and not before.

Unknown?

That's false.
There are going to be nuclear plants even in Poland.
Europe is all about going green...
But the war put a strain on resources. It would be great if we had coal this winter
Going green is their problem, at least their stupid plans for getting to it. At least they were smart enough to make more nuclear but far too late.

But households are still burning which counteracts the green initiative.

flying_sq

There isn't really a point of 8k gaming. It was just something that went on the box. Just forget about it, even on an 8k TV it's pointless. Worst marketing gimmick in a long time.

It's marketing bs nothing else
I don't think u see any visible difference on a 65 inch between 4k and 8k unless ur like dead close sitting to the screen.
I think 100+ inches and a couple of feet away u will start seeing difference.

rofif

Banned
Going green is their problem, at least their stupid plans for getting to it. At least they were smart enough to make more nuclear but far too late.

But households are still burning which counteracts the green initiative.
It really doesn't matter how green or not europe is.
At this point it is not a big polluter compared to other parts of the world anyway.
if anything. They went too green

Justin9mm

Not to defend Sony here but I thought the 8K was for video playback or that in future, games would be compatible with 8K TV displays playing lower res games not 8K games.. I don't think they ever marketed to do 8K res gaming. However, it's still just marketing bullshit on the box regardless.

Chronicle

Stop dude. Just stop. 8k is just a resolution. You dont have an 8k TV. You didn't even own a 4k TV for ps4 gen. You're crying over nothing. The ps3 said full HD. Barely any full HD games. The ps4 said 4k 60 and barely any games were 4k/60. The 360 said it was HD and it had a 720 toggle on the power cord and was fucking analog!

It's marketing. Put on your 'They Live' sunglasses and see the light.

GustavoLT

I think that 8k is about upscale output to 8K TV, since I don't have one to test... it's like the 1080p on 360/ps3 and 4k on PS4pro!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'm surprised Sony didn't get sued over that false advertisement on the box yet...

because they should be

Did you ask for ps4 pro to be sued? 4k all over the place yet most games ran checkboard or 1440p. It's a gaf rule, you are only lowed to be outraged at series s.
Everything else with false tech claims is accepted as fine.

Last edited:

old-parts

Technically speaking the PS5 and its 32gbps of bandwidth on its HDMI port should be capable of 8K 60hz at YUV 4:2:0 8-bit SDR but for whatever reason Sony have not enabled it, they could deliver on their packaging claims that way.

8K 60Hz RGB requires the use of display stream compression, something the PS5 does not support, it can only do 8K via chroma subsampling.

HDMI 2.1 bandwidth table

Xbox doesn't support 8K either even though it does have the 40gbps bandwidth and DSC support to do 8K 60hz RGB SDR/HDR and the console should have no issue upscaling as its always had its output resolution separated from the internal game resolution unlike Playstation so Xbox not having 8K support is even more odd than Sony.

The 8K TV market is dead in the water, which is probably what stopped both of them from supporting it. Something more than just a resolution bump is needed to generate interest in 8K, high resolution glasses free stereo 3D is possible with 8K displays maybe it could make a comeback, but no-one seems inclined to make it happen despite a number of technology demos and prototypes shown at trade shows.

The EU's crackdown on power hungry TV's applies to displays with their default shipping picture mode so for example out of the box if it uses vivid with maximum brightness, that kind of display would be banned but if the display ships with eco mode as default and stays under power limits that will still be allowed (you can then switch to whatever mode you like), though how long that loophole exists remains to be seen, the ESG crazies are in full control in brussels.

I think it's 8K resolution capable for movies/film. But I could be wrong. However, as far as 8K gaming goes here is a game that is the closest to running at 8K on Xbox Series X and PS5. It's called The Toryst.

According to Digital Foundry it's the first game to run at 60 FPS and Native 8K on console.

I believe you’re correct about the movies and film part. A similar thing was printed on the one s box when it launched and it was for 4k movies and whatnot.

Soosa

Banned
I always assumed it means:

Capable of 8k resolution output technically.

AKA can output 8k from the HDMI, and maybe then support 8k video playback in the future, when/if 8k is a thing.

Assuming it means 8k games is IMO weird and shows that people whom assume it means that, dont have deeper tech knowledge.

So is it false advertising, or not? I dont think so, but people can read things differently, depending from their level of knowledge and preferences.

Consoles have been games+multimedia players from ps2 gen, so output resolution can mean many things.

And "4K logo" in things basically means just resolution support, like in TVs and bluray players, so 8k is similar thing.

BbMajor7th

TF is wrong with EU? Always meddling with shit
Imagine it's to do with honouring their climate pledges. Kinda meaningless when so many of their nations are still heavily dependent on coal power though - power consumption is less of a problem than how it's generated.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think Sony never have said 8K gaming support... 8k support like media yes.
Neither company said it explicitly , the only thing is if you believe the 8k logo on the box is implying it. I don't think personally it is but others could.

anthony2690

Banned
I dread to think what frame rates we would be getting at 8k...

Some users here would love it too, even if they were playing games at 12fps.

I can imagine the only use we will see off 8k in the future is Netflix/Amazon and other streaming services. (I think the boxes only says 8k media anyway and not gaming in the first place)

Last edited:

Banned
Did you ask for ps4 pro to be sued? 4k all over the place yet most games ran checkboard or 1440p. It's a gaf rule, you are only lowed to be outraged at series s.
Everything else with false tech claims is accepted as fine.

the PS4 Pro does support 4K.
the PS5 does not support 8K.

ergo, Sony is advertising a feature on the box that the system does not have.
that is clearly false advertisement and should not be tolerated.

and it's not even a small print on the back of the box, nope, it's on the front as a promoted feature.

screenshot_20221107_1vzi03.jpg

Last edited:

dotnotbot

and it's not even a small print on the back of the box, nope, it's on the front as a promoted feature.

I believe there is a disclaimer somwhere on the box saying some features will come with a future software update.
So don't worry OP, it's gonna be there soon*
*no longer than 4 years

EDIT: It says on the front: 8K, 4K, 120 Hz and HDR content require compatible display and supporting software. There's also a smallprint on the back of the box saying design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Isn't this a problem with ALL CONSOLES? PS5 and Xbox Series X? Series X has 8K printed in the APU itself...

This thread title is 8K and PLAYSTATION 5, but to my knowledge, the PS5 is the only one running a title at native 8K 60 fps.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
iu

PS3 = 720p is considered just "HD". some games might have done 1080p.
PS4 = full hd
PS4 Pro = somewhere between full hd/4k (1440-1800p). not all games could run at native 4K (2160p)
PS5 = 4K native max. some games can do 60fps but 2 years in are finding it hard to keep that up.

you expect PS5 to suddenly jump to 8K gaming even at 30fps?
Actually, a lot of PS360 games aren't "real 720p". I remember that basically all of Call of Duty are 600p, Halo has a weird resolution too... Sony first party did justice thou

On PS4 a lot of games are 1080p. Xbox was mostly dynamic having 900p kinda as a default.

Perhaps not but then my question is why did they even put it on the box? Although as someone said, maybe they just meant for video and movies but they haven’t added that yet either.
It's probably marketing that thought that made sense because the hardware has support for the 8k output resolution.

There are many relatively simple games that could run at 8k, and I bet those with 8k TVs would love to see them run at that resolution.

It can theoretically, as long as the gpu supports the output. Of course do not expect any Tlou or Gow, it would be a retro styled game. Or as people said, movies and shows

Actually, a lot of PS360 games aren't "real 720p". I remember that basically all of Call of Duty are 600p, Halo has a weird resolution too... Sony first party did justice thou

On PS4 a lot of games are 1080p. Xbox was mostly dynamic having 900p kinda as a default.
God I remember going to my cousins house and he had a ps3 hooked to a cheap 42" tv. Good lord I was getting dizzy by the resolution and framerate. I think the CoD of that time ran at like 500 or 450p

2 years ago I got a PlayStation 5 and the box says that the console supports 8K. Now here we are in 2022 and this still isn’t true (yet?).

I know the 8K TV market is small but that isn’t the point of this thread. Why did Sony even put it on the box in the first place? Do they still plan to add this feature at some point in the future or have they abandoned it entirely? If a console manufacturer advertises a feature but then ends up not adding the feature until 5 years into the console’s lifespan for example, is that accurate advertising?

As far as use cases, The Tourist runs internally at 8K on ps5 but downsamples to 4K because the console doesn’t support it and the developer says they’ll release a patch once the console does support it. The new 2D TMNT game already runs at 4K 60 fps on ps4 pro and they’re releasing an identical ps5 version… could it have supported 8K if the console allowed it? Maybe some ps2 games could also be remastered to run at 8K? Could Persona 5 Royal have been released on PS5 in 8K perhaps?

Do I plan to buy an 8K tv soon? No, but I like tech and it would be very interesting to see. I didn’t own a 4K TV when the PS4 Pro came out but I’m glad that it did support 4K because later years when I bought a PS5 I was able to catch up on many games I had missed while playing in 4K. What do you guys think… false advertising or are they actually going to add it someday?
It actually does support native 8K, 60fps which is pretty insane. The Touryst runs in that resolution. Digital Foundry did a video about it.

Nothing else though. But on an 8K TV would technically (not 100% sure) upscale the resolution?

Like how our current 4K TV's and consoles have been running a checker board 1800p upscaled to 4K resolution for the past and current console generations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom