• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80's New Wave is the best music that has ever lived and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

SirTerry-T

I don't think of Simple Minds' sound as typical New Wave.
They started out as quite the avante garde/art punk outfit but very quickly turned into another stadium filling "anthem band" whose sole aim was keeping the bankers and yuppies happy as they zoomed around town in their XR3i's and Paul Smith suits.;)
Still knocked out some good times though...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
As the topic states, I believe this was the best decade for the best style of Alternative Music. (as much as I love punk, it's 2nd to New Wave)

Agree? Sure ya do. Here are some of my favorite songs/bands. What are yours?

Just a sample. Too many good ones come to mind.

New wave was the post-punk / anti-punk music of the late 70's and then bled into the 80's. As soon as audiences became aware that it was just rebranded pop-punk w/ synthesizers; its popularity took a vertical dive. It's not all good...there's a lot of cliched proxy themes exaggerated throughout those samples and I've written a small novel on everything wrong with "Safety Dance" aside from the writer being a pansey who wrote it out of passive aggression (being denied from dancing in some club).

DEVO started as experimental art-Rock and merged to poppy music in 1978. Listen to their Hardcore álbum and you'll hear the real DEVO. As for good new wave...you could have won the stance over twice if you just posted the XTC álbum "Drums and Wires ."

Last edited:
New wave was the post-punk / anti-punk music of the late 70's and then bled into the 80's. As soon as audiences became aware that it was just rebranded pop-punk w/ synthesizers; its popularity took a vertical dive. It's not all good...there's a lot of cliched proxy themes exaggerated throughout those samples and I've written a small novel on everything wrong with "Safety Dance" aside from the writer being a pansey who wrote it out of passive aggression (being denied from dancing in some club).

DEVO started as experimental art-Rock and merged to poppy music in 1978. Listen to their Hardcore álbum and you'll hear the real DEVO. As for good new wave...you could have won the stance over twice if you just posted the XTC álbum "Drums and Wires ."

Ct7USbN.gif

Okay, Mum.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Ct7USbN.gif

Okay, Mum.
I know it. That's why Happosai is the old fart on GAF in mentality.

It was actually funny because my Dad was in a new wave band during that time and he told me that all the long-haired hippies that got into new wave ended up shaving off their hair to fit in with the new wave fad (of that time). So, the original new-wavers of the late-70's were actually just trimmed up hippies without the flowers and circular glasses.

SirTerry-T

I know it. That's why Happosai is the old fart on GAF in mentality.

It was actually funny because my Dad was in a new wave band during that time and he told me that all the long-haired hippies that got into new wave ended up shaving off their hair to fit in with the new wave fad (of that time). So, the original new-wavers of the late-70's were actually just trimmed up hippies without the flowers and circular glasses.
Punks, New Romantics, Goths.... you can bet they all went to the same bloody Hawkind gigs in their 1970's student days ;)

MacReady13

Massive fan of 80's music and even love the rebirth of Synthwave lately. 80's new wave holds a special place in my heart as I grew up with my aunties (parents both working long hours) and they were teens who loved this genre.

SirTerry-T

Finally XTC appears. Still haven't read or seen a mention of the Skids.
Especially for you ;)
Richard "no lips" Jobson's finest moment.

I preferred Stuart Adamson's second band though...

Damn shame what happened to both him and The Associates Billy McKenzie, two of Scotland's finest pop and rock talents.

There's a great doc available on YouTube about Billy McKenzie and The Associates. Well worth a watch for fans of the band, and music in general.

SirTerry-T

And which schoolboy who grew up during the early 80's in the UK DIDNT want to be as cool as Stand and Deliver-era Adam Ant...

and Nick Lowe's a fucking great songwriter and the guy behind the mixing desk of many a new wave and punk bands first few seven inches of vinyl.

(watch the documentary on the early days of Stiff Records, brilliant stuff)

Last edited:

Irobot82

Ok, my wife thinks you guys need to be schooled.

So I present

Smiths - There is a Light That Never Goes Out

Squeeze - Tempted

The Clash - Lost in the Supermarket

The English Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

Echo and the Bunnyman - Lips like Sugar

I didn't grow up with this kind of music but I've grown to love it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Especially for you ;)
Richard "no lips" Jobson's finest moment.

I preferred Stuart Adamson's second band though...

Damn shame what happened to both him and The Associates Billy McKenzie, two of Scotland's finest pop and rock talents.

There's a great doc available on YouTube about Billy McKenzie and The Associates. Well worth a watch for fans of the band, and music in general.

I own ever Big Country album from the Crossing until Driving to Damascus. I've been a pretty big follower of their music since the Wonderland single in 1984. Skids were a bit more new wave than Big Country. Big Country tried to be new wave during their first year in 82' and dropped it by the time Steeltown was released. Actually, most new wavers (even the ones who criticized sell-out pop the most), shifted to synth-pop by 1985.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ABC - The Look of Love

YMO - Kimi No Mune Kyun

Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric?

New Order - Round and Round

Last edited:
Top Bottom