• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80% Of 2019's Box Office Hits Were Disney Movies

brap

Banned
Big Yikes!

Disney dominated the box office this year, producing eight out of the 10 highest-grossing films. There's no question that the Mouse House has had a banner year. From releasing their highly anticipated streaming service Disney+, which exceeded 15 million subscribers in its first five days, to having six movies cross the billion-dollar mark at the worldwide box office, it's been a year filled with endless achievements. Disney also became the first studio in history to surpass $10 billion at the worldwide box office, proving that the Mouse House is a force to be reckoned with in the film industry.

According to The Verge, 80% of the highest-grossing films from this year were produced by Disney. These films include Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Aladdin, The Lion King, along with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker and Spider-Man: Far From Home, which was co-produced with Sony. Interestingly enough, "everything belongs to a franchise, or is designed to potentially start a franchise," echoing how Disney "began the decade with two key purchases: Marvel Entertainment in 2009 and Lucasfilm in 2012." Those two purchases, which amounted to $8 billion, have certainly paid off for the Mouse House as "Marvel Studios has made more than $28 billion at the box office" and Star Wars has found massive amounts of success on Disney+ with The Mandalorian. According to Kevin Mayer, Disney's head of direct-to-consumer products, "We are not embarrassed by the fact that we have big blockbuster movies that people enjoy [...] If you look at the box office success, that’s an indicator of how popular and how embraced these films are by real audiences."

quickwhips

Disney owns everything so it will keep happening until they stop releasing movies and just move everything to their streaming service.

sol_bad

It's not about owning everything. It's about making entertaining films that people want to watch.
Other studios just don't seem to be run as well as Disney. I'm actually surprised at how little money the new Jumanji movie is making compared to the first.

Phase

It's not about owning everything. It's about making entertaining films that people want to watch.
Other studios just don't seem to be run as well as Disney. I'm actually surprised at how little money the new Jumanji movie is making compared to the first.
Are you, really?

141859.1b20c11e-5f5c-4a59-9499-f4095cf7f9c6.jpg

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I’ll admit to taking my family to see 4 of those movies. I guess I’m part of the problem.
Disney is still the family entertainment juggernaut they’ve always been, they have just done what they need to do to hold onto their position in the current climate.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their power decreases in the coming years when the cultural zeitgeist moves away from being “woke”, due to how many concessions they’ve made to appease social media whiners. But I for one will forgive them and move on.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I refuse to consume Disney products, I only paid to see Star Wars because I wanted to see JJ pull shit out of no where. I will pay to see Pixar non-sequels but other than that? I'm good. 🤷‍♂️

Doom85

The only film I didn't like out of those was the Lion King remake. A remake should offer enough difference in scenes or style to warrant its existence (True Grit or 2016 Jungle Book are good examples, but then you can go way too far and yet weirdly also not far at all like Rob Zombie's Halloween) but the 2019 LK barely changed anything and what they added was bizarre given what they took away (yeah, let's make Simba and Nala's reunion even more rushed to.....show how Nala left in the first place and also a two minute scene of Simba's fur making its gradual way to Rafiki? What the fuck?!). And making the animals as realistic as possible including their faces drained any emoting they could do, the 2016 Jungle Book film made the animals look real but let their faces emote a bit more than the actual animals would do to give them more character, plus it helped they were playing off one live-action actor. Not to mention Scar's performance was terrible and how did no one catch how fucking stupid it looked to have Can You Feel the Love Tonight sung during the day?!

Hopefully Disney learns from their mistakes from this one, but given the massive box office and general positive audience reception, I'm worried. At least Mulan doesn't seem to be making the same mistakes, just like how I liked how Aladdin went for a Bollywood style, it seems like Mulan is going for an Asian action film style akin to the likes of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Hero.

Funny how a lot of people are all, "oh, the critics don't get it!" yet look at the 2019 Lion King's RT scores and yeah critics get it way more than audiences do on this one.

Interestingly enough, I have not seen a single Disney or Disney affiliated movie throughout the year of 2019. And it has nothing to do with me boycotting Disney, I just had no interest in anything that have come out of their camps, with the exception of maybe the odd 20th Century Fox produced movie. I gave up on Marvel movies quite a few years ago, Star Wars has always been more miss than hit for me, going all the way back to Episode 1. And just about anything with a Disney logo attached to it, generally gets a hard pass from me.

Disney is still the family entertainment juggernaut they’ve always been, they have just done what they need to do to hold onto their position in the current climate.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their power decreases in the coming years when the cultural zeitgeist moves away from being “woke”, due to how many concessions they’ve made to appease social media whiners. But I for one will forgive them and move on.
"Moves away from being woke"

You are far more optimistic than me. I just see everything becoming more woke in the coming years.

HoodWinked

Disney is so lucky.

Even Free Guy which started at 20th Century Fox. Was acquired with the merger and did pretty damn well during the pandemic and was already greenlit for a sequel.

Top Bottom