• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

73 Metacritic score for NFS Unbound is ridiculous considering how awful this game is

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's the same issue with police pursuit in NFS Heat. I gave up on the game after couple of hours, simply wasn't fun like in the old NFS games.
Heat was actually the complete opposite because cops in that game were extremely aggressive and overpowered but as soon as you've upgraded your car past a level where you could easily outrun them, then losing them became a cakewalk. In Unbound, however, the cops were practically lobotomized because they're incapable of taking you down even on the highest heat level, but then trying to shake the pursuit is an extremely arduous and lengthy process, making the chases tedious as hell.

Funny, it's almost as if open world police chases is a terrible idea that's extremely difficult to nail down correctly, and the concept works far better in a more traditionally structured racing game. Hmm...

Regardless, at least racing in Heat was much more fun because the car handling was much more consistent and the difficulty balance was far more polished.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Man, I'm still stuck on the first week. The limited amount of retires for a race push me away. Make one mistake during a race with no retries, money down the drain.

Also, I know fwd cars aren't great drift cars, but does the game have to make drift races pointless if your driving one!?

I don't mind the style of the game, and I don't even mind the music, but when you can't make hardly any mistakes without it costing you dearly, I would rather just play GT7 and actually have fun instead of being frustrated.

I want to like nfs, since it's one of the few games of its kind, but this entry is disappointing.

anthony2690

Banned
Man, I'm still stuck on the first week. The limited amount of retires for a race push me away. Make one mistake during a race with no retries, money down the drain.

Also, I know fwd cars aren't great drift cars, but does the game have to make drift races pointless if your driving one!?

I don't mind the style of the game, and I don't even mind the music, but when you can't make hardly any mistakes without it costing you dearly, I would rather just play GT7 and actually have fun instead of being frustrated.

I want to like nfs, since it's one of the few games of its kind, but this entry is disappointing.
Stop retrying.
Early on you won't win every race, people just have better cars than you, you're just going to have to accept that sometimes you'll finish 2-6.

It's actually funny as the further you get in the game you have better cars with higher tier value and you will probably win every single A+-S+ race.

But then you also have the painful experience of police chases.

What I started doing, was if I ended a race in a chase or got in a chase on the way to somewhere, I'd just quit the game to the menu and then continue on.

You keep all your money from the session, but you're no longer being hassled, I did this for the last two weeks once I discovered it work.

As the police in the open world sections when you're going between events, suck the fun out of the game.

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell tip above, I forgot to mention in my first post.

Drizzlehell

Banned
At least it's possible to cheese it.

If you run out of retries or you're at the risk of losing, then simply force quit the game (or alt+F4 if on PC). When you boot it up again it will drop you in the open world with your money back.

Works the same with cop chases. If you somehow fuck up and get busted, force quit the game and not only will you be back in the OW with all your money, but the heat level will also reset to zero.

Also pay attention to the performance score of your car (the three digit number) instead of lettered rank. The game is kinda bad at highlighting this but you can easily end up with a car that's way underpowered compared to your opponents and it's what makes those races so hard at the beginning.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

At least it's possible to cheese it.

If you run out of retries or you're at the risk of losing, then simply force quit the game (or alt+F4 if on PC). When you boot it up again it will drop you in the open world with your money back.

Works the same with cop chases. If you somehow fuck up and get busted, force quit the game and not only will you be back in the OW with all your money, but the heat level will also reset to zero.

Also pay attention to the performance score of your car (the three digit number) instead of lettered rank. The game is kinda bad at highlighting this but you can easily end up with a car that's way underpowered compared to your opponents and it's what makes those races so hard at the beginning.
I'm playing on ps5. When I close the app in the middle of a race, and restart, it puts me back in the open world, but I still lose the money I paided to enter the last race.

My starter car is a Honda Civic with a score of 208, the highest score for A class (I think), but I still get dusted. It's like the 208 on my car doesn't match the performance of the 208 on other cars. I don't have any visual customizations, but I'm wondering if they also improve performance like the body kit on the car in the prolog.

KingT731

I'm playing on ps5. When I close the app in the middle of a race, and restart, it puts me back in the open world, but I still lose the money I paided to enter the last race.

My starter car is a Honda Civic with a score of 208, the highest score for A class (I think), but I still get dusted. It's like the 208 on my car doesn't match the performance of the 208 on other cars. I don't have any visual customizations, but I'm wondering if they also improve performance like the body kit on the car in the prolog.
Because you have to account for your car parts and not just the score. No point in pushing your HP super high if you don't have to torque to reach it. Also some of the parts give a disproportionate bump in score over their real performance uplift (see: Turbo & Gearboxes).

Last edited:

Interfectum

giphy.gif
The writer is dissatisfied with the quality level of NFS Unbound and claims reviews were misleading. They mention the game's poor AI and rubberbanding, as well as inconsistent car handling. They also express frustration with players who respond to complaints about the difficulty with "git gud" comments, and emphasize that the difficulty is not a skill issue. The writer also mentions that they have a lot of experience playing racing games and typically can play on medium-to-hard difficulty without much trouble. They also express dissatisfaction with the game's visual design and soundtrack.

Last edited:

stn

I liked it but can I agree with some of the flaws you describe. IMO, solid racer but I will be very disappointed if the next entry is also just a reskin.

At least the 5.3 user score reflects on this game's quality much more accurately and it restores some of my faith in humanity.

I just spent 15 minutes trying to shake the level 5 police pursuit but they're just retarded and the game compensates by cheating. Whenever you think you're close to shaking the cops, the game will simply materialize a magic helicopter or a new police vehicle right under your ass just to keep the chase going. But none of those idiots will ever come even close to busting you because the AI is just so shitty. Eventually, I got so bored that I just drove to the nearest safehouse and kept circling the building at a leisurly pace and waited for those morons to knock themselves out while the helicopter above us also got bored and flew away on its own for no reason. At that point I was finally able to enter the garage.

Amazing game design, really.

Now, there's been a lot of talk about the game's difficulty, and while it can be incredibly frustrating if you don't understand how the game works, I think it's simply because of two main reasons:
1. Worst rubberbanding since the original Motorstorm
2. Incredibly inconsistent car handling that leads to random spin-outs and crashes that are literally impossible to avoid

The difficulty in this game is just broken. Sometimes you'll be beating races like it's nothing while other times it'll be impossible to get anywhere near the top 3, and best I can tell, the only reliable factor that will determine the outcome of these races is the planetary alignment of our solar system, as well as butterfly wings flapping on the other side of the globe.

Although I think that what I hate more than this gameplay are the people who consistently respond to complaints about the difficulty with "git gud" comments. And just because stupid comments like these are so prevalent, I kinda feel like I need to preemptively say this anyway: this is not a skill issue. And I don't think it's ever a skill issue for any of the people who play this game and complain about the difficulty level. "Easy" mode shouldn't be putting you in the spot where you can barely scrape by the skin of your teeth in the earliest races of the game. A difficulty mode described in the game as "relaxed", by it's very definition should provide an easy experience for the players who aren't very skilled or maybe even have some kind of a disability. Not to mention that the difficulty settings in this game are just broken and straight up misleading.

Now, I've been playing racing games since the days of Commodore 64, which is probably a time from before many of you were even floating inside your dad's left nut. I've beaten so many racing games in my life that I couldn't even count them all, and if you still question my enthusiasm for the genre, know that I frequently use a dedicated gaming peripheral called a "racing wheel" to play stuff like Gran Turismo or Project Cars. I certainly don't claim to be the most skilled player ever, I'm not even that good at racing games, but I'd like to think that I'm at least above-average, as in most other games I can typically play on medium-to-hard difficulty without too much fuss, and I usually manage to complete all the gold medals and what have you.

And I'm saying all this because I can already picture all those shithead responding to this thread by insulting my gaming skills or whatever. If you're one of those people, you really need to lean forward and do a full speed Naruto run into a brick wall.

I can't comment objectively on the quality of this game's visual design or soundtrack because that may be just a matter of preference. Let's just say that this stuff is just not for me. I'm far from being a geezer yet, I enjoy a lot of contemporary music and entertainment without immediately clutching my hanky and shaking a walking stick in the air. But there's just something about the vibe of this series and the kind of culture that it's been attempting to represent with most recent installments that just makes me wanna turn the volume down and put on some podcasts in the background. This series is, for the most part, fun to play but everything else about it is just fucking cringe and the music is awful.

Thank you for listening to my TEDx talk.
Lmao! I never experienced any rubberbanding in the original Motorstorm. And I can guarantee you with out even having played this NFS, that it's a piece of trash next to Motorstorm. Good review though. It's a disgrace what they did to this series.

Roxkis_ii

Because you have to account for your car parts and not just the score. No point in pushing your HP super high if you don't have to torque to reach it. Also some of the parts give a disproportionate bump in score over their real performance uplift (see: Turbo & Gearboxes).

Man that really sucks. l think all my parts are pro level expect the tires and I'm still getting dog walked by the other racers. My honda civic is basicly trash then! Can't drift and no torque.

Maybe I'm just bad at the game (but not GT7 somehow), but I think I'll just sit on this one and hope for future update to better balance the game.

Very disappointing.

Last edited:

Rayderism

NFS games have sucked ever since they went open-world with them. The last good one was when they remastered Hot Pursuit last gen.

As far as arcade racers go, I don't know why no one is trying to replicate Motorstorm or Split Second. Those were actually good, fun and exciting. I mean, don't make an arcade racer that's "just racing", and try to add some cringe-ass story to it, that in and of itself makes the game boring to me. I can just play one of the plethora of boring sim racers if I want "just racing." I want over-the-top, can't happen in real life insanity in my arcade racers, not "just racing" with simplified physics.

And I never understood the fascination with drifting. I hate that mode in racing games. Dude! Buy some tires that don't suck and actually grip the road, not ones that are seemingly made out of plastic.

Arcade racing used to be my favorite genre, but there have been way too few good ones since the PS3 days.

Hellmaker

At least the 5.3 user score reflects on this game's quality much more accurately and it restores some of my faith in humanity.

I just spent 15 minutes trying to shake the level 5 police pursuit but they're just retarded and the game compensates by cheating. Whenever you think you're close to shaking the cops, the game will simply materialize a magic helicopter or a new police vehicle right under your ass just to keep the chase going. But none of those idiots will ever come even close to busting you because the AI is just so shitty. Eventually, I got so bored that I just drove to the nearest safehouse and kept circling the building at a leisurly pace and waited for those morons to knock themselves out while the helicopter above us also got bored and flew away on its own for no reason. At that point I was finally able to enter the garage.

Now, there's been a lot of talk about the game's difficulty, and while it can be incredibly frustrating if you don't understand how the game works, I think it's simply because of two main reasons:
2. Incredibly inconsistent car handling that leads to random spin-outs and crashes that are literally impossible to avoid

The difficulty in this game is just broken. Sometimes you'll be beating races like it's nothing while other times it'll be impossible to get anywhere near the top 3, and best I can tell, the only reliable factor that will determine the outcome of these races is the planetary alignment of our solar system, as well as butterfly wings flapping on the other side of the globe.

Although I think that what I hate more than this gameplay are the people who consistently respond to complaints about the difficulty with "git gud" comments. And just because stupid comments like these are so prevalent, I kinda feel like I need to preemptively say this anyway: this is not a skill issue. And I don't think it's ever a skill issue for any of the people who play this game and complain about the difficulty level. "Easy" mode shouldn't be putting you in the spot where you can barely scrape by the skin of your teeth in the earliest races of the game. A difficulty mode described in the game as "relaxed", by it's very definition should provide an easy experience for the players who aren't very skilled or maybe even have some kind of a disability. Not to mention that the difficulty settings in this game are just broken and straight up misleading.

Now, I've been playing racing games since the days of Commodore 64, which is probably a time from before many of you were even floating inside your dad's left nut. I've beaten so many racing games in my life that I couldn't even count them all, and if you still question my enthusiasm for the genre, know that I frequently use a dedicated gaming peripheral called a "racing wheel" to play stuff like Gran Turismo or Project Cars. I certainly don't claim to be the most skilled player ever, I'm not even that good at racing games, but I'd like to think that I'm at least above-average, as in most other games I can typically play on medium-to-hard difficulty without too much fuss, and I usually manage to complete all the gold medals and what have you.

And I'm saying all this because I can already picture all those shithead responding to this thread by insulting my gaming skills or whatever. If you're one of those people, you really need to lean forward and do a full speed Naruto run into a brick wall.

I can't comment objectively on the quality of this game's visual design or soundtrack because that may be just a matter of preference. Let's just say that this stuff is just not for me. I'm far from being a geezer yet, I enjoy a lot of contemporary music and entertainment without immediately clutching my hanky and shaking a walking stick in the air. But there's just something about the vibe of this series and the kind of culture that it's been attempting to represent with most recent installments that just makes me wanna turn the volume down and put on some podcasts in the background. This series is, for the most part, fun to play but everything else about it is just fucking cringe and the music is awful.

What is amazing to me is that anyone even gives these pieces of shit 5 minutes of their time...

Needlecrash

I played it for a couple of hours. It felt like a grind fest that wasn't as fun as I'd hoped. More power to those that enjoyed it but I ultimately just got a refund for it.

Catphish

The only NFS entries that I can think of that weren't complete garbage were Porsche Unleashed and Hot Pursuit. The original was good for its time, but was limited by available hardware.

The rest were utter shit. Although, to be fair, I gave up trying after Rivals. It's obvious that the brains behind this franchise have no idea what they're doing.

The Stig

dude..... you're giving me flashbacks.

God I wanted to like motorstorm but the rubber banding was fucking INSANE.

It literally wasnt racing. pointless. I hate that the series gets so much praise. its unplayable TRASH

also so is NFS unbound.

KingT731

Man that really sucks. l think all my parts are pro level expect the tires and I'm still getting dog walked by the other racers. My honda civic is basicly trash then! Can't drift and no torque.

Maybe I'm just bad at the game (but not GT7 somehow), but I think I'll just sit on this one and hope for future update to better balance the game.

Very disappointing.
Have you won any of the races for other cars? Also not having enough money at the end of the week just sends you back to Friday so don't feel like you have to rush/win every event and allows you to grind a bit and experiment with different setups.

On the gameplay side also try mastering using boost out of turns because it gives your car a ton of grip and can instantly stop unintended drifts etc. Tires also make a huge difference as well as your grip/drift level. It's all just experiments with what works for you personally. Don't get too down about it.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Basically its a decent attempt but still bad. They tried to go the forza route with events and whatnot.

That only works when you have a decent world to drive in - the world here is lacklustre and empty, so it flops. You can tell the budget was fairly low.

Roxkis_ii

Have you won any of the races for other cars? Also not having enough money at the end of the week just sends you back to Friday so don't feel like you have to rush/win every event and allows you to grind a bit and experiment with different setups.

On the gameplay side also try mastering using boost out of turns because it gives your car a ton of grip and can instantly stop unintended drifts etc. Tires also make a huge difference as well as your grip/drift level. It's all just experiments with what works for you personally. Don't get too down about it.
I already got to the repeating the last day before the race, it just sucks gring those practice events for 500 a pop to save a few thousand, then lost it all in a race because you didn't come in top 3. I'll try swapping the tires out and seeing if that helps.

Thanks for the tips.

sachos

I havent played it yet but the racing and graphics looked really good to me after hearing John from DF talk about it. But i still think they should bring NFS back to the old style of design like NFSIII or NFS2HP, closed track design that allows you to get beautifully designed tracks with much more variety of locales. And add local multiplayer back, to diferentiate it from pretty much all other modern racing games without it.

Neofire

I really enjoyed the game myself. (Probably in the minority)

What I personally felt really let it down is the frequency of the police chases.

& How annoying they became at later levels of wanted levels towards mid way through to the end of the game.

It became a chore to lose them on the world map, as you would end up far away from where you wanted to race or do a takedown event, the stuff I enjoyed doing.

& Then on your way back there you could end up in the same rodeo off trying to lose them again.

Just became annoying/repetitive and really detracted from the game imo.
I enjoy the game as well. The dialogue I get the criticism of that but the design and music is strictly subjective. I don't get the hostility imo.

KingT731

I already got to the repeating the last day before the race, it just sucks gring those practice events for 500 a pop to save a few thousand, then lost it all in a race because you didn't come in top 3. I'll try swapping the tires out and seeing if that helps.

Thanks for the tips.
Yeah man I feel you. That's why i stuck with my starter car (Eclipse GSX 1999) until I got the Lancer from one of the events. The money grind can be rough and that is actually one of my larger issues with the story mode...boy do those buy-ins suck!!! Spending 8K to get into a race that only actually nets you 4K(if you actually place 1st) it's a poorly thought out idea for in the early game.

Last edited:

AGRacing

This game wins the cringe inducer of the year award.. 2022.
Also early favorite for cringe inducer of the entire decade. Unbearable.

And anybody who talks about this game representing some "culture" must be the most culturally deprived person on the planet. Bullshit is not a culture.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
User score is the only relevant score these days, anyway.
The majority of "professional" critics and journos rate based on criteria that have little to nothing to do with the actual game and more with stuff surrounding it.

Not that most users have much of a gaming education to formulate their opinions, either, but at least this number will generally tell you if a game achieved what it set out to achieve (game design-wise).
Because if it does and the target audience likes it, it will have a high-ish score, if it doesn't it will have a low score.

Last edited:

Banned
Agreed, OP just need to git gud.

But to be fair, the way the cops are in this game can be annoying. After you lose the cops there should be a cooldown or some way to reduce your heat.

I mean the whole game is designed around risk/reward, the police needs to become a real thread at some point. imo up until level 3 they are absolute pushovers, level 4 is starting to get spicy and level 5 is when you should go home for sure.

the only issue I have is the search helicopters moving a bit fast if they search for you after you lost them. it's a bit hard to react to them in some parts of the city.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Huh, that's strange. I usually press the PS button and close the app when I'm at the post-race/post-chase results screen and so far, without a fault, it always resumed me in the open world with all my cash back. Maybe it doesn't work if you're still in the race or sth.

Yeah, I also started out with Civic with like 207 score. At that point it just becomes a dice roll whether or not you can manage to jump into first place within the first 30 seconds of the race. If you do, the rest of the race will be a breeze as long as you don't crash. If you don't then it'll be much tougher to win. That's the shitty rubberbanding working it's "magic" here. It's just completely busted in this game.

I find that if I manage to get the needle into the perfect start, it will give you tons of boost at the beginning and that's usually the way to get ahead early in the race.

Banned
User score is the only relevant score these days, anyway.

neither the user nor the critics score is relevant in any way.

reason #1: the majority of people playing games nowadays are casual as hell.

reason #2: people almost always only go to these sites to rate a game if they either are A: absolute fanboys, or B: want to hate on a game.
the people that rate a game just because they want to get their honest and level-headed opinion out there are a ridiculously small minority.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The writer is dissatisfied with the quality level of NFS Unbound and claims reviews were misleading. They mention the game's poor AI and rubberbanding, as well as inconsistent car handling. They also express frustration with players who respond to complaints about the difficulty with "git gud" comments, and emphasize that the difficulty is not a skill issue. The writer also mentions that they have a lot of experience playing racing games and typically can play on medium-to-hard difficulty without much trouble. They also express dissatisfaction with the game's visual design and soundtrack.
Man, that conversation summary feature in Google Chat is one of the best things they've made in recent years.

NFS games have sucked ever since they went open-world with them. The last good one was when they remastered Hot Pursuit last gen.

As far as arcade racers go, I don't know why no one is trying to replicate Motorstorm or Split Second. Those were actually good, fun and exciting. I mean, don't make an arcade racer that's "just racing", and try to add some cringe-ass story to it, that in and of itself makes the game boring to me. I can just play one of the plethora of boring sim racers if I want "just racing." I want over-the-top, can't happen in real life insanity in my arcade racers, not "just racing" with simplified physics.

And I never understood the fascination with drifting. I hate that mode in racing games. Dude! Buy some tires that don't suck and actually grip the road, not ones that are seemingly made out of plastic.

Arcade racing used to be my favorite genre, but there have been way too few good ones since the PS3 days.
This reminded me about how awesome of a game Split Second is. Every time I hear about it I get the urge to play it again, lol.

Also couldn't agree more about the drifting part. That shit annoyed me ince day 1 when they introduced it in NFS Underground.

Like sachos sachos mentioned, I would rather they just went back to the roots and gave us what this series was originally about, i.e. straightforward racing on closed tracks in exotic locales, driving a variety of sports and concept cars. That's what they did with Hot Pursuit 2010 (recently remastered) and it was easily my favorite NFS game of the last 20 years.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
reason #1: the majority of people playing games nowadays are casual as hell.
Casuals can still check review scores and those that do are less likely to get a game with a low score, just like anyone else.
Those that don't are not relevant to the point.

reason #2: people almost always only go to these sites to rate a game if they either are A: absolute fanboys, or B: want to hate on a game.
the people that rate a game just because they want to get their honest and level-headed opinion out there are a ridiculously small minority.
Exactly.
You mostly get two groups of people rating a game: Those who love it and those who hate it.
If there's more on one side than the other, you can be almost certain that the game is either very good at what it aims to do or very bad (or something in between).

Review bombs can be a minor issue (in either direction), but you can generally see if that is something that happened and also most review bombs just flatout fail to make any noticeable dent in a score.

NewChoppa

Banned

Buying the police scanner that makes it so police take longer to spot you is a game changer and nearly essential. Without it running into an Undercover unit at heat 4/5 will lead to an unavoidable chase.

Car balancing is pretty weird as well - you could upgrade something to the top of its class and still be very far off the pace despite your rating suggesting that you’ll have no issues beating the other racers

KingT731

Buying the police scanner that makes it so police take longer to spot you is a game changer and nearly essential. Without it running into an Undercover unit at heat 4/5 will lead to an unavoidable chase.

Car balancing is pretty weird as well - you could upgrade something to the top of its class and still be very far off the pace despite your rating suggesting that you’ll have no issues beating the other racers
The number ratings I didn't like but they did make sense in the grand scheme of how a car works...the problem is the game would have to give you more info which it doesn't. I'd prefer they went back to having things separated by class even if it's the older "Exotic, Muscle, Tuner" grouping and that's, partially at least, the issue with the car balancing in that.

Shakka43

It is one of those racing games where if you can't see the first place driver in front of you after about 30% of the race
you will never catch up with them no matter how flawless you drive from that point on.

It’s the best need for speed since most wanted. I’ve put like 30 hours in and have had a blast. I also love how gay coded it is but that’s just my preference ;)

It's impossible to get stuck. Every single day there are races that have zero buy in.

Can you say that again?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Can you say that again?

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

Member​

Last edited: Wednesday at 10:15 PM

• Thoughtful
  • Fire
Reactions: SlimeGooGoo, Rambone, Togh and 23 others

Gift Quote Reply

Report Edit

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

Drizzlehell Drizzlehell

Member​

Last edited: Wednesday at 10:15 PM

• Thoughtful
  • Fire
Reactions: SlimeGooGoo, Rambone, Togh and 23 others

Gift Quote Reply

Report Edit
Once more.

Top Bottom