• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

71% of UK PS5 owners say it’s their main console, versus 48% of Xbox Series X owners, research finds

That data looks so flawed and useless if you look at the individual SKUs and their share.
Makes no sense form a "platform" perspective.

Why should PS5 DE be so much lower than the disk?

I guess they are doing the same as you. They play games. On their preferred console. First party and third party. And if they're subscribed to PS Plus extra they don't need to buy a shitload of games. It's not rocket science.
tbh having both PS+ Extra or Premium plus Game Pass Ultimate means subscribers get to enjoy tons of great games without having to pay the shitty prices for these things that lose value like driving a car off the lot.

Mr Hyde

tbh having both PS+ Extra or Premium plus Game Pass Ultimate means subscribers get to enjoy tons of great games without having to pay the shitty prices for these things that lose value like driving a car off the lot.

Or you could just wait for a sale and own your games if the price point bothers you 🤷 and some games actually retain their value or increases over time so kinda pointless argument tbh. But it's good to have options 🙂

Or you could just wait for a sale and own your games if the price point bothers you 🤷 and some games actually retain their value or increases over time so kinda pointless argument tbh. But it's good to have options 🙂
I wasn't really trying to have an argument with anyone, just conveying my thoughts about how much these subs save people. I've talked to players who say they buy $70 games, beat them, then sell them to Gamestop for $40.

You're right about some games retaining or increasing their value, it's mostly Nintendo games, JRPGs and older gen games though. Just the kind of games a collector like me spends a majority of money on.

Gamepass fills my time with tons of games. I played ragnarok last week then I’m back to my gamepass games. Played through Pentiment and High on life this week.

I guess if you’re buying a shitload of games then my opinion is mute though. I’m just wondering what everyone’s playing that’s on ps5 that’s not on xbox?

If you’re happy playing what most consider mediocre games, that’s your choice, most ps5 players play cod and fifa, exclusives are just the icing on the cake, not the main meal.

Stooky

I don't think I've seen any statistics that show Game pass subscribers only stay a month and drop the service. That's why I asked. Most people tend to just subscribe to services and forget about it. The strength or weakness of Xbox first party is largely subjective and as long as there is a steady stream of content customers will be happy. Most of the games on the service have reviewed well.
I spoke with some Microsoft devs friends a few months ago and brought up my points up on gamepass not being profitable etc.......they broke down some numbers for me and I kindly STFU lol.

Lasha

Ampere’s analysis suggests that one of the reasons so many PS5 owners consider it their main console is because “PS5 owners are more likely to be single console owners”.

I believe this is the key point. Your only console is going to be your main console. I would never say my Switch is my main console because I primarily play games on PC. I still buy many games for Switch. The usefulness of such a data point seems limited to just internet dick wringing.

I spoke with some Microsoft devs friends a few months ago and brought up my points up on gamepass not being profitable etc.......they broke down some numbers for me and I kindly STFU lol.
We've gone from 'Game pass is bleeding MS dry no way it's sustainable', to 'well it might be sustainable but that doesn't mean it's profitable' to... I just don't like Game Pass! It was an interesting transition.

Stooky

We've gone from 'Game pass is bleeding MS dry no way it's sustainable', to 'well it might be sustainable but that doesn't mean it's profitable' to... I just don't like Game Pass! It was an interesting transition.
I don't know how I feel about it from a industry standpoint. It could change game development as we know it. Time will tell.

Woopah

I believe this is the key point. Your only console is going to be your main console. I would never say my Switch is my main console because I primarily play games on PC. I still buy many games for Switch. The usefulness of such a data point seems limited to just internet dick wringing.
Given that Ampere didn't include PC in their analysis, it might be that PC wasn't an option and so you would appear as having Switch as your primary in this sort of survey.

Yeah, but it makes sense to only own a Playstation much more than the other way round.

90% of games on Xbox are available on PS as well.
Vice versa, it's probably closer to 75% of PS games on Xbox as well.

With so much crossover, it doesn't make much sense to buy both (for the average gamer) and with Sony's better exclusive library and output, it's a given that Playstation has the upper hand.

But that has always been the case.

Last edited:

Lasha

Yeah, but it makes sense to only own a Playstation much more than the other way round.

90% of games on Xbox are available on PS as well.
Vice versa, it's probably closer to 75% of PS games on Xbox as well.

With so much crossover, it doesn't make much sense to buy both (for the average gamer) and with Sony's better exclusive library and output, it's a given that Playstation has the upper hand.

But that has always been the case.

That's not what the stat says though. 7/10 PS5 owners would say it's their primary console and 48/100 series x owners could say it's their primary console with the headline remaining unchanged. The statistic itself lacks the context to be meaningful. A switch owner has no incentive to buy a PS5 if they don't like Sony's exclusives and similar for Xbox owners. That's why I think the portion I quoted is probably the most tangible point.

Given that Ampere didn't include PC in their analysis, it might be that PC wasn't an option and so you would appear as having Switch as your primary in this sort of survey.

Omitting a "none of the above" or "other" option would make for a bad poll though unless there was a qualifying question at the front.

That's not what the stat says though. 7/10 PS5 owners would say it's their primary console and 48/100 series x owners could say it's their primary console with the headline remaining unchanged. The statistic itself lacks the context to be meaningful. A switch owner has no incentive to buy a PS5 if they don't like Sony's exclusives and similar for Xbox owners. That's why I think the portion I quoted is probably the most tangible point.
That's exactly what I was saying.

But the point was that PS games library is bigger and more diverse than Xbox, for example.
So there is less incentive for a Playstation-owner to buy a second platform, especially given the strong output from Sony 1st party.
This is not the case on Xbox, so chances are higher that owners of Xbox have a secondary platform for gaming.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
71+48=119%.

3wvapr.jpg

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

For me that's not a surprise. I have tons of PS4 games left to play and unlike the PS3-PS4 switch I don't have to worry about the lack of compatibility. Plus Sony continues to deliver (big) exclusives regularly and Microsoft is still in a process of getting ready to do that on a regular basis. They still have a chance to turn things around later this gen.

Topher

Gold Member
but they also aint right. its sweeping statement used off little data. it prob more than true but not accurate headline

That's how polls/surveys work though. They ask enough people to have large enough sample size and account for a margin of error. There is no way polls are ever going to ask 100% of the population on a given topic. So yeah, the headline is correct assuming one understands the context.

Last edited:
That's how polls/surveys work though. They ask enough people to have large enough sample size and account for a margin of error. There is no way polls are ever going to ask 100% of the population on a given topic. So yeah, the headline is correct assuming one understands the context.

That's basically how statistics work. People need to chill out when they do these surveys.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
While I’m not particularly interested in this one I do applaud the crazy design. I hope they do more way off standard covers.

Top Bottom