• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 years later, what are your thoughts on Infamous: Second Son?

Topher

Gold Member
No one is upset honey lol

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No one is upset honey lol

It’s got an aggregate score of 82 with six million copies sold.

That’s not underrated.

It is totally an underrated game! Its on par with Grand Theft Auto V, Skyrim, and Call of Duty 4! Why don't these games get the love and attention they deserve? Its like no one talks about them! /s

yurinka

I started to play Infamous and Infamous 2, and didn't complete them because I didn't like them. I completed First Light. And platinumed GoT.

I think it was a great idea to kill Infamous and make GoT instead.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I liked it and first light. Platinumed both of them. I would like another but probably won't happen after their smash hit ghost of tsutshima. Really talented studio.

SSfox

Tried first game and didn't like it much and sold it in less than 24 hours.

GOT is the first game from SP that i really liked

Urban

I liked it but I loved the PS3 versions. but Gaf help me out on this one:

Wasn’t there a huge backlash because of the character Model change between 1-2 for the PS3 or do I remember it incorrectly?

HotPocket69

Banned
It is totally an underrated game! Its on par with Grand Theft Auto V, Skyrim, and Call of Duty 4! Why don't these games get the love and attention they deserve? Its like no one talks about them! /s

“Underrated” is the go to term for kids and dummies that like a game that didn’t get the amount of attention that THEY thought it deserved.

Awesome gameplay and visuals - but still can't stand the protaganist. Such a SJW take, complete night and day difference from Cole.

The main antagonist was forgettable as well.

The gameplay, particularly the movement, was spot on, as Insomniac games typically are. Super hero open world games where you can really move are a guilty pleasure of mine.

It's a great game.

skit_data

I actually didn’t play it until a few months ago. Its pretty impressive visually but the main characters personality is pretty irritating and the gameplay feels pretty mediocre.

They did a better job with Infamous 1&2 and miles better with Ghost of Tsushima.

second son was trash. i prefered the first 2 games. the first infamous game was so damn good. would love a true infamous 3 that pretended that second son never existed.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
“Underrated” is the go to term for kids and dummies that like a game that didn’t get the amount of attention that THEY thought it deserved.

Putting your petty insults aside.....what part of "I felt like it deserved higher praise than it received" did you not understand? And yeah.....obviously this is MY opinion. The post right above mine calls it trash. That's fine too.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Tbh I would not want them touching the graphics of any ps3 game to that degree ; they’re good enough already and I want the art as is.

Maybe like what they did in uncharted 2 remastered at most. Which looks really faithful yet better.

Ditto for something like a ratchet future remaster ; we have the remake and rift apart that already look really similar but tools and crack in time look really unique in comparison.

Btw you think I should pick up first light? You mentioned the movement feels better which has me wondering, although I’m not crazy about playing as Fetch.

Yeah I see what you are saying, I'd agree it holds up, just bring the lower res effects up to 2021 level and higher res and fps and I think it would look awesome. Agreed about Ratchet 100% as well. I was forgetting Spyro and DAH are PS1 and PS2.

I do think the movement was way more fun yeah, but the neon shooting gameplay where you hit random weakspots was what really made me love it, I don't know why but the loop was just great to me. Its only a bit more than a tenner anyway, I played it for 15+ hours to do everything, but half of that content is arena challenges in a separate area to the city though, not story content in the city, it was very repetitive but I was enjoying it purely for the gameplay/combat combo loop.

The way you run up buildings and can jump around while spriting in FL is just improved enough that it feels a lot better imo. The story is quite silly, but I didnt dislike it or anything.

buenoblue

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Played it in my old games room with a 100 inch projector and 7.1 sound. I remember the final boss blew me away it felt like playing movie cgi at the time. Might fire it up on ps5 actually I believe it's a locked 1080 60 on ps5.

Tell you what this made me realize though, I miss that games room 😩.

wOs

I still enjoyed it. The environment itself is kinda sparse though. Like being in a town populated by 100 people.

Wait! It's only £11.99 on UK PSN, isn't it much cheaper for you there?

edit - I don't know why I said "wait!", like you were at the store with the game in hand 2 minutes after posting :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Lol I only buy physical console games. Gotta import FL since it’s UK only. Don’t mind paying 30 since I’ll be holding onto it.

Kuranghi

Yeah I really enjoyed it. Played it in my old games room with a 100 inch projector and 7.1 sound. I remember the final boss blew me away it felt like playing movie cgi at the time. Might fire it up on ps5 actually I believe it's a locked 1080 60 on ps5.

Tell you what this made me realize though, I miss that games room 😩.

Bloody hell thats a big projector!:

4Dghszs.jpg

Mr Moose

I had a lot of fun with it, one of my handful of platinums.
Graphics have aged well, still looks amazing, rock and neon powers were cool.
I need to finish First Light sometime :messenger_weary:

Topher

Gold Member
I had a lot of fun with it, one of my handful of platinums.
Graphics have aged well, still looks amazing, rock and neon powers were cool.
I need to finish First Light sometime :messenger_weary:

Me too. I had a hard time getting into it though. I was used to using all those powers and then I'm reduced to one? Bit of a downer. Still.....that's another platinum I need to go and get.

I always kinda hated the set up, story, and world of the Infamous games, but they were good games. Something about them just seems off to me, smoke powers always sounded dumb to me (also wasnt there a secret character with um...paper powers or some shit?)

Cole was kinda too overly serious and the guy from Second Son (I cant even remember his name) was way too far in the other direction, too goofy. A made-by-committee character that was never as cool as the game insisted he was.

UnNamed

Banned
Graphics was incredible back in the day, now it's good too. Mission are mostly the same, not bad but not incredible too. Still enjoyable today. A 6/10.

Filldo

It was fun enough but felt like a step back in some ways. Cole had this clear progression of becoming a super hero and then learning to master his powers. Delsin just got reskins of the same powers. It felt kinda cheap in comparison. I really loved in Infamous 2 how Cole could have variations of powers so it was a bummer they didn't continue that idea.

Overall I think having one power was better overall. Cole felt legit bad ass at the end of Infamous 2. I never felt that with Second Son, its the whole jack of all trades, master of none thing...

Graphics were great, especially at the time, though I think they hold up quite well still. Story was ok but I thought the first two were better. Especially the first game.

I actually hope we get another Infamous game some day. Hopefully different characters and location again. Maybe we can go up against Cole and Delsin as an evil hero trying to wipe out all the other supers.

I liked Second Son very much. Less of a slog that the first two games, witch I also enjoyed. Just like the first two, Second Son has way too big of a world that was hard to travel across. The traversal mechanics in game are fun but don't really fit the giant area you're meant to cover to get things done. This is specially true of the last section in Second Son, the skyscraper downtown area. The last section is so empty I'm not sure why it's so gigantic and I wish it was smaller. Maybe they just couldn't fill it in time before release? Honestly the entire world map could be reduced by 30 percent and would be a better experience. The other stuff like the powers and combat were well done and they added a solid photo mode.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I hated it and didn't even finish it. The story was lame, it was repetitious and I couldn't stand the main character. Overall along with UC4 was the PS4 game I disliked the most.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I enjoyed it and played it to completion. It was a meaningful step up technically from what was available on the prior gen.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'm still a big fan, I actually beat it back at release and due to my ADHD I don't usually beat many games

it wasn't as good as the previous games on PS3 (which I really wished we had gotten a collection of them on PS4 so I could play them without digging out my PS3) but it was still a really good game

I'd love for Sucker Punch to create a new team to tackle a sequel or something

jonnyp

I enjoyed it but it did become very repetitive as stated by others here and could've been so much better. Probably suffered due to being a launch window game

Certinty

The same as it always was, it’s an unfinished tech demo more than anything.

Open world is too small and the most dead I’ve ever come across. Story is whatever and extremely short and the side content is a repetitive joke.

The only good thing is the gameplay. Oh and it did look good too.

Last edited:

Mabdia

I liked. Playing it at 60 FPS (almost) is really amazing (Even today it impresses me how good the game looks. SS wowed me way more than Uncharted 4). Gamplay is fun and the story is decent. inFamous 1 and 2 both are better. But i had fun playing SS.

Fbh

Disappointing.
It's one of those games were the credits started to roll and I was like "wait, that's it?".
Graphics were fantastic (it still looks great to be honest) but everything else was underwhelming. Boring story, boring side activities, surprisingly short and even though there technically were more powers, Infamous 2 actually felt like it had the more dynamic and varied combat.

I've always assumed they had to rush it to have it ready for the launch window.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Time is not kind to the game as it feels very generic now. The world is pretty boring, but the gameplay is still fun. I will still always see the game as a Crackdown wannabe as well.

SinDelta

A new open world Infamous using the lessons incorporated into Ghost of Tushima could easily set a new bench mark for superhero games, like Infamous 1/2, Prototype, Arkham Asylum/City, Gravity Rush 1/2 and Spiderman have done.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

It took me 2 years before I was interested enough to get a PS4 and picked this game up when I did. I loved it. Seattle had great vibes and it was a great introduction to the PS4

Ozzie666

I enjoyed it a lot. Only down side was getting the last power so late in the game, if I recall.
But it was my first infamous experience and one of the early titles I still remember, besides Shadows of Mordor.
I do feel it's under rated.

Top Bottom