• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6th-Gen Era Gaming Consoles (GC, PS2, DC, XBOX, etc)...Which was your favorite and why?

Mr Hyde

Dreamcast and Gamecube. I had so much fun with the few games I had for these consoles. Unfortunately, they were curb stomped by PS2 and ended prematurely.

On the whole, I never really liked this generation of gaming. I had a hard time connecting with the games outside a few gems, but it has to do more with my personal problems I went through during this era than the quality of the games.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I liked all of them, but I played certain system more than others just because there were more games on it that I wanted to play.

PS2>Gamecube>Dreamcast>Xbox

Last edited:

SALMORE

Obviously the PS2 !!

-Tons of great exclusives & innovative games
- Awesome ports & Classic comblations
- The Perfect controller
- Played DVDS ( big deal back then )
- The best generational leap

P.S

- Home of the Maximo series !

SpiceRacz

This is a tough one.

On one hand, I played more Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Dreamcast than probably any other fighting game. I would also spend hours chasing an S-license in Crazy Taxi. Sonic Adventure blew my mind when it came out. It was Sonic fully realized in 3D. Something Sega fans were deprived of on Saturn. It was a huge deal at the time and it delivered. Even more impressive than Sonic Adventure was Soul Calibur, one of the greatest launch titles ever.

The Xbox came out swinging with Halo. This game blew every console FPS before it out of the water. My friends and I would do 8 player matches between 2 TVs in separate rooms. The other consoles were great, but they couldn't offer that experience. Xbox generally had the best versions of all the 3rd party titles too. Splinter Cell in particular was impressive. Seeing screenshots of it for the first time, it didn't even seem possible games could look that good. Xbox Live was also the first example of online multiplayer done right. In a lot of ways, Xbox was ahead of the curve this generation. Even just being able to rip CDs and listen to custom soundtracks was a game changer. Also, shout out to Crimson Skies and Ninja Gaiden. The latter being maybe the best action game ever made.

Gamecube on the other hand had Nintendo leaning too heavily on their exclusives. They made up for it with some of the best games of not only the generation, but of all time. Looking at games like Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, it felt like Nintendo just went for it this generation and mostly nailed it. Overall I think it's library is a disappointment though. The lack of 3rd party games and the drought between exclusives sucked. Also has the worst controller of all the 6th gen consoles imo.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Such a tough call between the PS2, GameCube and Xbox.

maybe GameCube for single player (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) and Xbox for local multiplayer (Halo 1 and 2 LAN) and PS2 for online multiplayer (Socom 1 and 2)

Last edited:
The GameCube because of Resident Evil, Ocarina of Time incl. Master Quest (WW bonus disc), Rogue Leader, Eternal Darkness, RE Zero and RE4.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

Gamecube. Forever and ever.
Ps2. Gran turismo 3 and 4. Best racing games.
Xbox. I remember seeing halo for the first time and being so amazed with the graphics and the gameplay.

6th gen is best

Komatsu

I owned a DC (still do), a GameCube and a PS2 and though the DC blew me away like no other platform, I have to say that, looking back, I got most of my enjoyment out of my fat PS2. FFX, the GTAs, MGS3, etc..

The GameCube was the fist console I bought after the DC died and it's the rare case of platform I enjoy less in retrospect than I did at the time. At the end of the day I spent most of my GC days playing like... five games? Wind Waker, Smash Melee, Twin Snakes, Harvest Moon a Wonderful Life, and FE Path of Radiance.

Definitely not my favorite Nintendo console, by a mile.

I just remembered that I had a ton of fun with Thousand Year Door and sad that I sold it because I felt I got a lot out of it.

Boy...if I could have read the future I would have kept it.

Probably the first Mario game I truly enjoyed from start to finish

Last edited:
PS2.

Obviously the games would make it number 1 alone, but that thing was a marvel of engineering, beautifully designed, fully backwards compatible, a huge leap in power that kept pace even with the more powerful machines that came later, made gaming both fully mainstream and gave us consoles as multimedia devices.

It's simply the best games machine ever made.

tkscz

Gamecube. I now it didn't have the most amount of games, but it had the most amount of local mulitplayer games and had a lot of great times with friends. Plus that controller just felt so damn perfect in hand. The click of them triggers

Romulus

Xbox had this crazy combo of being extremely powerful at the time but also getting its own great line of exclusives, PC ports that the other consoles couldn't do, and a slew of quirky gems and Sega titles. I often think of it as one of the best consoles that almost no one owned compared to PS2.

I play Gamecube on Dolphin and still love it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
pI played more games on PS2 but the Gamecube Games i Did play stuck with me far longer. Metorid Prime, Smash Meele, Sunshine, Mystic Heroes, Animal Crossing, Windwaker, Eternal Darkness and the other obvious others stayed with me longer than most PS2 games.

Last edited:

Dane

6th gen was the GOAT, the PS2 was my favourite, but even the rest of the consoles were damn great tier, its like going from a 10/10 to a 9/10 at least.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm most nostalgic for Dreamcast and Xbox because those are the systems I actually owned during their heyday. I didn't get a PS2 until the PS3 was out, and I didn't get a Gamecube until I bought a Wii.

Overall my fav is PS2. It was my first Sony system (though I grew up playing the PS brand with friends). It just has so much variety. Dreamcast has that arcade charm, but pound for pound I still think the PS2 wins out due to how long it survived. Xbox was a lot of fun too. It was great to see a lot more western-style shooters hitting the market via the Xbox.

Simpkin92

PS2 was my favorite by far. I couldn’t get into the Xbox due to the huge controller and my adolescent hands lol

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I just remembered that I had a ton of fun with Thousand Year Door and sad that I sold it because I felt I got a lot out of it.

Boy...if I could have read the future I would have kept it.

Probably the first Mario game I truly enjoyed from start to finish
I bought it used after market and it's price always seems a little high. At one point in 2014-15 it was selling upwards 80USD used. I got mine used for about 40 and almost sold it. However, I'm less compulsive on selling good titles like that knowing that buy-backs can be expensive. Thoughts on Super Mario Sunshine in comparison to thousand year door?

All were great. PS2 was the best. All types of games. Many great games.
I think this was the best generation followed by ps360 generation.
Good memories

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm most nostalgic for Dreamcast and Xbox because those are the systems I actually owned during their heyday. I didn't get a PS2 until the PS3 was out, and I didn't get a Gamecube until I bought a Wii.

Overall my fav is PS2. It was my first Sony system (though I grew up playing the PS brand with friends). It just has so much variety. Dreamcast has that arcade charm, but pound for pound I still think the PS2 wins out due to how long it survived. Xbox was a lot of fun too. It was great to see a lot more western-style shooters hitting the market via the Xbox.
Sounds a bit like me. I only bought one or two consoles of any platform during their generation and usually I would buy as a new gen was coming in. That's how it was for the XBOX original and DC; I bought them 5-10-years after and still enjoyed the experience.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I have eternal love for my Dreamcast. I played the crap out of that thing.

PS2 is epic as well. GC, Xbox...damn this was a good gen
all the original titles and Capcom classics (sigh...why did they stop making Power Stone games...). Then there was this...

Jisqjj1.jpg

Jisqjj1.jpg

F6VmyDY.jpg

I actually love them all.

PS2 had the best games and the most of them. SO MUCH JAPANESE SUPPORT!

Xbox had great multiplayer and great graphics. It was also the go-to system if you loved Star Wars games in early 2000s.

Dreamcast was like a daydream. It wasn't here for a long time, but the catalog of games is full of unique gems that I love.

Gamecube is quirky and pure Nintendo. The stupid looking controller is really comfortable and there are some really amazing 1st Party Nintendo titles.

It is easily one of the strongest gens of all time and each console brought something different to the table.

But if I had to rank them, it would go like this:
  1. PS2
  2. Dreamcast
  3. Gamecube
  4. Xbox

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I actually love them all.

PS2 had the best games and the most of them. SO MUCH JAPANESE SUPPORT!

Xbox had great multiplayer and great graphics. It was also the go-to system if you loved Star Wars games in early 2000s.

Dreamcast was like a daydream. It wasn't here for a long time, but the catalog of games is full of unique gems that I love.

Gamecube is quirky and pure Nintendo. The stupid looking controller is really comfortable and there are some really amazing 1st Party Nintendo titles.

It is easily one of the strongest gens of all time and each console brought something different to the table.

But if I had to rank them, it would go like this:
  1. PS2
  2. Dreamcast
  3. Gamecube
  4. Xbox
So much Japanese support is correct for PS2. I was disappointed when I first bought a PS3 in 2007 and discovering that Square Enix (at that time) was favouring releases to the 360 and giving so much less to Sony. It seems like Konami and Bandai/Namco may have also been giving the PS3 less titles, too. With the success of the PS2; I never understood why Sony was not backed as strongly by Japanese developers for the PS3.

Last edited:

Hal.

6th gen was my prime Nintendo fanboy period. I was 10/11 when the new consoles started dropping so old enough to have vicious fanboy wars but too young to be more platform agnostic.

I fought many a GameCube Vs PS2 battle and, ironically, for the type of games that my friends and I enjoyed the only real absolute PS2 must have was the GTA series.

No-one played final fantasy, or metal gear solid, or any major PS2 titans like that so it pretty much boiled down to:

GTA/Ratchet/Jak Vs Nintendo franchises.

I was jealous of GTA mostly but had an insanely good time with the Cube.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Really hard to choose for me
Hard gen to choose just one from. Many (including myself) seem to have come to the conclusion in this thread that this was a generation where all of the consoles had something new/great to offer in their own way. I have some leanings in this gen, but overall consider the 4 to have turned out and aged well.

I realize that Game boy Advance came out during the gen, too. However, I tried to keep this topic relevant to consoles only. Yet, GBA had some great titles and ports.

I've dabbled with each long after the 6th generation ended, and i can easily say that it's the Playstation 2. Not only do i consider it easily the best console Sony has ever produced because of the quantity and quality of exclusives, but i also believe that it's the greatest console ever made.

Arkam

1. DreamCast - First! So many great unique games for such a short life, the peripherals, future forward features (web browser, broadband support, VCD playback, etc)... but what was up with one analog stick?
2. GameCube - Nintendo first party, Monkey Ball, Rogue squadron, fast load times, great controller (wave bird)... but small disk and memory card size limited support.
3. PlayStation 2 - DVD player! Third Party games!! SO MANY. BUT some brutal load times and only two controller ports.
4. Xbox - Better looking versions of DreamCast and PS2 games.

I bought it used after market and it's price always seems a little high. At one point in 2014-15 it was selling upwards 80USD used. I got mine used for about 40 and almost sold it. However, I'm less compulsive on selling good titles like that knowing that buy-backs can be expensive. Thoughts on Super Mario Sunshine in comparison to thousand year door?

Sunshine is odd to say the least. I did enjoy the FLUDD but the Platforming is terrible. Oh, and it has Voice Acting in it, so it's seen as the Black Sheep of main Mario games due to that. Toadsworth, Peach, FLUDD and Bowser Jr talk in it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Sunshine is odd to say the least. I did enjoy the FLUDD but the Platforming is terrible. Oh, and it has Voice Acting in it, so it's seen as the Black Sheep of main Mario games due to that. Toadsworth, Peach, FLUDD and Bowser Jr talk in it.
Yeah, the voices were a bit strange. I've never played d Splatoon but it seems there may be some similarities. Mario cleaning up toxic slime, Yoshi can vomit fruit punch, and such. What drove me nuts were the "secret" stages (mini-puzzle games). Some of those stressed me to no end. I did not complete all of them.

Yeah, the voices were a bit strange. I've never played d Splatoon but it seems there may be some similarities. Mario cleaning up toxic slime, Yoshi can vomit fruit punch, and such. What drove me nuts were the "secret" stages (mini-puzzle games). Some of those stressed me to no end. I did not complete all of them.

I think Splatoon was originally going to be a Mario game with that concept but glad it never came to fruition.

Those stages are hated by everyone, as it was like a throwback to Mario 64 but they made the platforming terrible in those as well.

Banned
that was the time when my friends and I were playing a fuck ton of local multiplayer, which is why my first system had to be the GameCube.

Smash Bros, TimeSplitters 2, Nightfire, CelDamage, Mario Kart etc. were the hot shit in my friend group.

later I bought an Xbox, and on it we played a bunch if Halo, KungFu Chaos (Ninja Theory's first game lol) and dabbled a bit with LAN stuff in SplinterCell 2 and 3.

the PS2 was the least attractive system to me back then because it didn't have the big name local multiplayer games, and it only had 2 controller ports with the need to buy a multitap for 4 players n stuff.

The PS2 was a late generation buy for me, I usually played the system over at my cousin's who had one early on, and that's where I played most of the exclusives, we would usually hand the controller around playing God of War etc.

he also had a Dreamcast on launch day, and I loved the system, but only owned one way later, but with stuff like Spawn and PowerStone it was also a great local MP machine

Last edited:
Was a dreamcast guy because I was a sega guy since master system... rode DC til Xbox, hated sony for killing dreamcast, then sold my Xbox to a friend because his had audio issues when I needed buy a replacement car. A year later I had sold my replacement car to a friend(put a new engine in my other car) and he couldn't pay so eventually paid me with his ps2 and some games, a recently made friend found out I had a ps2 and gave me virtua fighter 4 and loaned me disgaea and shadow hearts . Ps2 became my favorite console .... games , so many different games you couldn't get anywhere else. So awesome. Have a soft spot for Xbox and dreamcast though. I still have that ps2. Had to put a laser lens in it 2 years ago but that's it.

Top Bottom