• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2023

marcincz

Mid-month update:
Game 42 - Earthworm Jim 2 (EC) - 03h 10m
Beat 03/10/2023 - my score: 8/10
Game 43 - Fear Effect (PS1) - 16h 36m
Beat 06/10/2023 - my score: 8/10
Game 44 - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PS3) - 14h 59m
Beat 14/10/2023 - my score: 8/10
Game 45 - A Short Hike (XGP) - 01h 24m
Beat 17/10/2023 - my score: 6/10

Chastten

Banned
Nowhere even close to 52 but we'll see where I end up. Here's what I played in the past 3 months! Everything on Switch.

Game #12 - Rune Factory 4 Special - 8,5/10

I've been interested in this series for well over a decade, but this is the first game I've actually played and it's great little, addicting experience. Perfect summer game!

Game #13 - The Princess Guide - 5,5/10

It's a perfectly acceptable action RPG but also completely forgettable. So much so, that I honestly didn't remember much of anything about this game until I looked at screenshots I took.

Game #14 - Vampire Survivors - 8/10

I needed another game to keep me busy during the Summer and this game fit the bill perfectly. I'm not much into roguelikes (or lites, whatever this is) but this game was addicting as hell. Great music as well!

Game #15 - Disney Illusion Island - 7,5/10

I never thought a MetroidVania without combat could work, but here we are. As a Disney fan, I loved the humor in this. Donald especially.

Game #16 - Atelier Marie Remake: The Alchemist of Salburg - 6/10

I paid €140 for an imported copy of the Limited Edition and honestly, just for the game I wouldn't recommend that. As a collector to own a part of gaming history it might be worth it though. It's a charming little game, but incredibly easy and short. Was fun to experience the origins of this series though.

Game #17 - Little Noah: Scion of Paradise - 7/10

Bought this purely because it looked cute without knowing anything about it, but yeah, I liked the combat enough to see it through to the end.

Game #18 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore - 7,5/10

I already played this on Wii U but never finished it there. Finally rectified that, but yeah, the game definitely starts to drag near the end so I remember why I never finished it on Wii U. Loved the music though.

Game #19 - Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp - 6/10

I played a bit of the first game back on the GBA but never finished it. Decided to give it a go on Switch. It's definitely aged since then, but my biggest gripe is that since your units don't gain levels, quite a few missions have one optimal strategy and if you mess up a few early turns, you're screwed.

Game #20 - Tales of Symphonia Remastered - 7/10

I already finished this on GameCube but wanted to see if this game still holds up. The first half of the game is still great, but like many other Tales-games, the second half could do with some serious trimming. There's way too much padding. Also, in my 50 hour playthrough the game crashed a total of 7 times, which is completely unacceptable.

Game #21 - Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 8,5/10

Great game and a nice follow-up to the New Super Mario Bros games. Played it with a big smile on my face for most of the time, but it is very easy. Still an easy recommendation if you like 2D mario games.

41. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

wm2qHNe.png

20h-ish. Normal difficulty. "King of Wands" ending. All gigs and sidequests completed.

Phantom Liberty is a weird place for the CP77 story to go, but I'm not complaining (at all). While the main story has a very definite identity, Phantom Liberty is somewhere between Fallout 4 and a Call of Duty game, with fantastic, trepidant action sequences that make the base game seem subdued in comparison, a plot reminiscent of a modern James Bond film (or, again, a Fallout game) and a fucking incredible cast that carries the story from beggining to end. Likely one of the best expansion packs I've ever played - but that's normal CDPR fare, yes?

My Score: ★★★★

------

42. Cyberpunk 2077 (2.0 patch)

D14XhF0.png

60h-ish.
Completed everything except for NCPD gigs. "The Star" Ending.

I gave my opinion about how CP77 was at launch. I remember being very mad at the plethora of bugs, techncial issues and the suchlike.

Well, I'm not mad anymore. Maybe I'm cheating, but this is my GOTY for the time being.

My Score: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

------

43. Merge & Blade

Qwb4Mj6.png

Way too many h for such a mid game
. Campaign mode complete.

This is... ehhh. A fusion of a puzzle game and a strategy? game that doesn't excel in anything. The game has some weird difficulty spikes that basically force you to grind in order to upgrade your stuff, which is the oldest trick in the book. The game is somewhat addicting though, and it's free in GamePass, and it's sedate enough to be playable while working. So there it is.

My Score: ★★☆☆☆

Original post

Last edited:

Dazraell

After a few years of break, I may finally reach 52 games

This is a list of games I've played this year:
  1. Assassin's Creed III Remastered - The Tyranny of King Washington [PS5]
  2. Stray [PS5]
  3. The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes [PS5]
  4. Assassin's Creed: Liberation Remastered [PS4 / PS5]
  5. House Party [PC / Steam]
  6. House Party: Doja Cat [PC / Steam]
  7. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition [PS5]
  8. Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup [GameCube]
  9. Hogwarts Legacy (Ravenclaw) [PS5]
  10. Kathy Rain: The Director's Cut [PC / Steam]
  11. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5]
  12. Persona 5 Strikers [PS5]
  13. The Quarry [PS5]
  14. Alone in the Dark Prologue [PS5]
  15. The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me [PS5]
  16. Star Wars: Episode I - Racer [Switch]
  17. Luigi's Mansion 3 [Switch]
  18. Batman: Arkham Knight + Season of Infamy: Most Wanted [PS4]
  19. Batman: Arkham Knight - Arkham Episodes + Scarecrow Challenges [PS4]
  20. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion [PC / Steam]
  21. God of War: Ragnarok [PS5]
  22. Midnight Fight Express [PS5]
  23. Stray Gods [Switch]
  24. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Aveline [PS4]
  25. Destroy All Humans! (2020) [PS5]
  26. Final Fantasy XVI [PS5]
  27. Call of Duty: Black Ops [PC / Steam]
  28. Quake II Remastered [Switch]
  29. Quake II 64 Remastered [Switch]
  30. Dungeon Siege III (Lucas) [Steam Deck]
  31. Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun (Lucas) [Steam Deck]
  32. Aperture Desk Job [Steam Deck]
  33. Cyberpunk 2077 [PS5]
  34. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty [PS5]
  35. Max Payne [Steam Deck]
  36. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne [Steam Deck]
  37. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War [PS5]
  38. God of War: Chains of Olympus [PSP]
  39. Alan Wake Remastered [PS5]
  40. Alan Wake Remastered: The Signal [PS5]
  41. Alan Wake Remastered: The Writer [PS5]
  42. Pentiment [Steam Deck]
  43. Alan Wake's American Nightmare [Steam Deck]
  44. God of War (2005) [PS2]
  45. God of War: Ghost of Sparta [PSP]
  46. Quantum Break [PC / Steam]
  47. Control: Ultimate Edition [PS5]
  48. Control: Ultimate Edition - The Foundation [PS5]
  49. Control: Ultimate Edition - AWE [PS5]
  50. Alan Wake II [PS5]
  51. God of War II [PS2]
  52. Max Payne 3 [Steam Deck]
  53. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith [PS2]
  54. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 [PS5]
  55. Gothic Classic (Old Camp) [Switch]
  56. Gothic Playable Teaser (2019) [PC / Steam]
  57. Final Fantasy XVI: Echoes of the Fallen [PS5]
  58. Rise of the Argonauts [Steam Deck]
  59. Quake II Remastered: The Reckoning [Switch]
  60. Super Mario RPG [Switch]
  61. Grand Theft Auto III [Steam Deck]

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
header.jpg

Game 46 - Star Ocean: Second Story R - Nintendo Switch - Completed Nov 9th, 2023
This has been an absolutely amazing year for JRPGs, and this game is no exception. While the first half is a lot stronger than the second, it's still such an amazing game overall that I can't even really take off too many points for that. A great journey, an amazing story, tons of great characters (and lots of optional side characters that I didn't even get) - this game was obviously made for multiple playthroughs with it's 99 different endings. Still, one of the best games to come out this year, a lovely remake that plays off of and elevates the original.

marcincz

header.jpg

Game 46 - Star Ocean: Second Story R - Nintendo Switch - Completed Nov 9th, 2023
This has been an absolutely amazing year for JRPGs, and this game is no exception. While the first half is a lot stronger than the second, it's still such an amazing game overall that I can't even really take off too many points for that. A great journey, an amazing story, tons of great characters (and lots of optional side characters that I didn't even get) - this game was obviously made for multiple playthroughs with it's 99 different endings. Still, one of the best games to come out this year, a lovely remake that plays off of and elevates the original.
How long did it take you to beat?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How long did it take you to beat?
It was right around the 30 hour mark. Probably closer to 31 since I spent about an hour trying different equipment builds before I finally beat the final boss (he was total bullshit).

44. Baldur's Gate III

gvuMS2D.png

70:48. Explorer difficulty. Tried to do as much stuff as I could.

If game developers still value(d) their dignity, they should try to reflect on what Larian did with BG3. I can't think of an aspect of the game that is not top-notch; the music is fantastic, the writing is fantastic, the setting is fantastic, even the graphics are fantastic (they're not cutting-edge tech, as they don't even have RTX, but the art direction makes them shine). The only reason I'm not giving it "GOTY marks" is because it is actually sort of buggy; some quests don't work as they should, some actions break the game outright, and I had to stop playing for more than a month due to a game-breaking bug that took way, way too long to fix.

SteamDeck: Works surprisingly well, actually. Struggles to reach 40fps in populated areas, but as it's a slow-paced game, it's eminently playable even in these conditions. Prepare your ears for tumble-dryer levels of cooler noise, though.

My Score: ★★★★★

------

45. DAVE THE DIVER

hbMcsTE.png

20h-ish.
Completed most side things (Bancho's storyline, all side bosses).

This game was almost unanimously praised by the gaming press and it's really quite good. But I do not think it's "90 in metacritic" levels of good. Granted, it's a joy to play... at first. Then the game keeps introducing new mechanic after new mechanic, even during the endgame. At first I tried to keep up but when the branch restaurant was introduced I sort of lost interest and beelined to the final boss. Luckily it's a short(ish?) game, but it would benefit immensely of some more focus.

SteamDeck: Works flawlessly.

------

46. Slay the Princess

uNt2fna.png

3h-ish
. Played until I got to the "true" endings.

If I was pretty sure Dave the Diver got inflated scores, I'm 100% sure Slay the Princess does not deserve a 90% meta score. It's a cookie cutter western horror visual novel that, again, thinks it's smarter than it actually is. The final twist is at least somewhat interesting, but the "path" there is tedious and even pedantic, with a dialogue full of hot air and surface-level philosophy . You know, this fawning of the western press over every slightly meta horror Visual Novel that you can complete in an afternoon makes me think they haven't played many Japanese visual novels. They really should.

I'm giving it a pass for the flawless work of the voice actors and the interesting artistic choices, but all in all it was a disappointment.

My Score: ★★☆☆

Original post

Last edited:

marcincz

Game 46 - Starfield (XGP) - 34h 54m
Beat 26/10/2023 - my score: 8/10
Game 47 - Coffee Talk (XGP) - 05h 56m
Beat 28/10/2023 - my score: 8/10
Game 48 - Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly (XGP) - 12h 47m
Beat 05/11/2023 - my score: 7/10
Game 49 - Hi-Fi Rush (XGP) - 11h 40m
Beat 11/11/2023 - my score: 7/10
Game 50 - GoldenEye 007 (XGP) - 08h 09m
Beat 15/11/2023 - my score: 9/10

I wanted something special for #50. My choice - Bond, GoldenEye. Never played before (hadn't N64). Game is fantastic. I can't even imagine how great had to be over 25 years ago.
Starfield is better than I expected. Same Coffee Talk.

Blindy

Won't make the 52 total but maybe will hit over 40 which I will take.

PS5:
9) Spongebob Squarepants & The Cosmic Shake 2/9, 2/11, 2/13-2/14
16) Jumping Flash 3/25
19) Resident Evil 4 Remake 3/25-3/28, 4/2, 4/6, 4/8-4/9
21) Pac Man World Re-Pac 5/6, 5/9-5/12
27) Haven 8/14, 8/19, 8/27-8/29
28) Sea of Stars 8/31-9/4, 9/9-9/13, 9/20-9/24
29) Resident Evil 4 Remake:
Separate Ways DLC 9/30, 10/4, 10/7
38) Spider Man 2(Platinum) 10/24, 11/1, 11/7, 11/21-11/22, 11/24-11/26
40) Overwatch 2 12/12-

XBX:
8) Hi-Fi Rush 1/25, 2/4-2/5, 2/8
11) GRIS 2/27
12) Atomic Heart 2/20-2/21, 2/23-2/24, 2/26, 3/2, 3/4-3/5
15) Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty 2/26, 3/3-3/6, 3/7-3/13, 3/18-3/19
23) Planet of Lana 5/23, 5/27
24) Cassette Beasts 5/25-5/29, 6/3-6/4
26) Fuga: Melodies of Steel 7/31-8/2, 8/5-8/7
32) Frog Detective: The Entire Mystery 11/3-11/5
35) Bramble: The Mountain King 11/7, 11/12, 11/14
37) Jusant 11/21-11/22, 11/24
39) Venba 12/6, 12/9
Lies of P 9/25-

NSW:
2) Syberia 1 12/29/22, 12/31/22-1/2
3) VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action 1/6-1/8, 1/10-1/11, 1/13-1/20
7) Syberia 2 2/6-2/8
14) Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo 3/9, 3/11-3/15, 3/18-3/19
25) Master Detective Archives: Rain Code 7/1-7/30
31) Super Mario Brothers: Wonder 10/20-10/25, 10/28
33) Sonic Superstars 10/17, 10/30, 11/6-11/7
36) Super Mario RPG Remake 11/18-11/21
Mega Man Battle Network 4/16
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom 5/13-

PS4:
The Silver Case 6/15-

XB1:
1) Telling Lies 12/31/22-1/1
4) Donut County 1/21
6) 999: Nine Doors Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors 1/24-1/30
10) OPUS: Echo of Starsong 2/11, 2/16, 2/19-2/20
20) Coffee Talk Pt II: Hibiscus & Butterflies: 4/19, 4/21-4/22, 4/24, 4/27, 4/29-4/30
34) Monster Prom XXL 11/8, 11/11

PS3:
5) Rayman Origins 1/12-1/13, 1/21, 1/28-1/29

3DS/PSP:

PC/Mobile:
13) Hope Left Me 3/11
17) The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog 3/31
18) Pineapple on Pizza 4/3
22) Edda Cafe 5/22-5/23
30) Spirit Hunter: NG 9/29, 10/7-10/8, 10/11, 10/14-10/17

Last edited:
The final stretch!

47. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

tzEKKYT.png

15h-ish of which I spent like 3h in the Final Final challenge. 100%.

Not gonna lie, I was a bit wary of this one. I have played most "modern" 2D Marios but I don't think I have finished one (Maybe NSMB2?) because, as good as they are technically, they're missing that je-ne-se-pas-quoi that the 3D Marios do have. Most modern 2D Marios are extremely "by the book" platformers; technically brilliant, but lacking that dash of genius that makes a game great.

Not this one. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a blast from beginning to end, and more than that, it has the unique spark of 3D games like Odyssey or Bowser's Fury. It might not be the longest game, or the hardest one - even the Champion's Road is comparatively easy compared to prior games'- . It fails in some specific things, like the disappointing bosses. But the Wonder Flowers make each level a surprisingly unique experience that leaves you wanting to continue until the end. And that's something very few games can do.

My Score: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

------

48. Marvel Spider-man 2

cg51s21.png

23h-ish.
95% of the game. I don't know what I'm missing nor do I care.

It was... OK I guess? I don't have a lot to say about this. The graphics were great (except for the characters' faces... MJ is going to be in my nightmares for years), the setpieces were brutally awesome, the gameplay is as flawless as the first one's, Peter's sections were OK, exaggerated swagger Miles' sections were a bit boring with all the "BARRIO!" stuff...

At the end, I was left me with the feeling of having played a thorougly cookie-cutter game, made to check boxes (And I'm not talking about the woke stuff, I'm talking about the game itself). Super pretty, super shiny, actually plays super well... but leaves you unsatisfied. Kinda like a Marvel movie?

My Score: ★★★★☆

------

49. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name

sLyHYQP.png

26:04. Basically beat all content including Amon. Normal difficulty.

Ok, this was a pleasant surprise. As one of the biggest Yakuza fans I know, I was super wary of this one, because it felt like a cash grab or a desperate try to get more eggs out of RGG's Golden Goose, Kiryu. And the first hour or so basically confirmed my fears. I've been saying that Kiryu looks more miserable with each game, to the point that in Yakuza 6 he seemed on the verge of tears/rage basically all the time. And here Kiryu is even darker. He's uncharacteristically blasé, almost (but not quite) cheerful, about having to cave faces in, and he's in a permanent "I'm too old for this shit" mode. But then you realize, he IS old. And he's been living like shit for the last few years. And he can't see any of his loved ones. It's understandable he's not the same stoic-but-goofy self he used to be 10 years ago.

Fortunately, Kiryu gets closer to his usual self during the game, and the ending is the perfect coda to the Kiryu saga. I'll say, being absolutely sincere, that a certain scene (yeah, that one) brought me to the verge of tears.

Technically? Well the game is great, as always. The Dragon Engine continues being a beast, the fighting is the most fun it's been in years thanks to the inherent goofiness of the Agent style, and there are a few substories and "errands", though this time they're less creative and more of the "Fetch quest" variety. Oh well.

SteamDeck: Works great in medium specs and 40hz.

Original post

Last edited:
50. Turbo Overkill

urJCERQ.png

19h-ish. Regular Joe difficulty.

Wanted a boomer shooter and a boomer shooter it was. I didn't like it much when I started, but it sure grew on me fast; it helps that the second episode is much stronger than the first. The gameplay is frantic and merciless, though once you get the addons that allow you to recover HP and armor by using the chainsaw leg dash (yes, really) the game changes radically as you use the "small" enemies to replenish while using your generous arsenal in the bigger mooks. A bit like Doom Eternal, actually? In fact, there are quite a few similarities between both games, though Doom Eternal still comes on top.

SteamDeck: I haven't tried this one, but... it has a SteamDeck graphics settings, so I guess it should be great?

------

51. Super Mario RPG

izW5aNa.png

14:01h.
No postgame.

Cool bite-sized (For a JRPG) game. It feels dated, as it's normal for a straight remake of a Super Nintendo game, but the production values are top-notch, the artstyle and musical direction are aces, and it's fun to play from beginning to end. Story-wise, it's little better than a regular Mario game, but it's interesting to play as it's the foundation for the much better Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi games that came afterwards. Very recommendable, and perfect if you like

My Score: ★★★★☆

------

52. Roboquest

Buz0ePl.png

5h-ish. Easy difficulty. Beat the game with Engineer in about 10 runs

Interesting roguelite FPS with a very Overwatchy atmosphere (it's single-player/co-op though). Gameplay wise it's... well, it's a roguelite. You try to beat all the levels in a single go, die in the process, use the resources you got to advance further in your next run, and rinse and repeat until it's done. Even though the artstyle is meh (what about all the enemies looking like VR Gen-1 bots) to be fair it's super addictive and well worth a try if you got GamePass.

------

And that's it for this year! NGL I had to "cheat" a bit by choosing short-ish games from time to time, but I made it even if just barely. See you next thread!

Original post

Last edited:

marcincz

Got it.
I am going to start Spiderman 2 this year, but probably finish it in 2024, so see you next year.

Game 51 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PS3) - 16h 43m
Beat 26/11/2023 - my score: 9/10
The best SC in the series? Definitely.

Game 52 - Root Film (PS4) - 54h 41m
Beat 19/12/2023 - my score: 9/10
One of the best VN I've played in recent years.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh shoot, I lost count on my list and I’m currently at 55! Though a few of those are pretty bullshit, so it’s more like 52. I wanna squeeze one more in before the end of the year. Maybe I can finish Dave the Diver…

Chastten

Banned
Game #22 - Blue Reflection - 7,5/10

Already played the sequel last year and loved that, but never played the original. It's good, just not as a good as the second game. Still worth a playthrough.

Game #23 - Rune Factory 3 Special - 8/10

It's basically a copy of RF4, but still just as addicting.

Game #24 - Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force - 5,5/10

It's basically a Neptunia game without it's strongest point - the humor. It's servicable if you've played every other RPG in your backlog but otherwise just skip it.

Game #25 - Super Mario RPG - 7,5/10

Having never played this before, it was fun experiencing this piece of gaming history. It's definitely aged quite a bit, but it's a nice game. Not as good as Paper Mario, but that's understandable, since few games are.

Game #26 - Harvestella - 6/10

What starts as a pretty standard casual farming sim with an amnesiac protagonist, ends with a story that spans time, space and every other story element SquareEnix is known for. It has the potential to be a much better game but given the sales of this first game I doubt we'll ever get a sequel.

Game #27 - Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon - 8/10

This is such a weird and wonderful prequel to the Bayo games and I'm really glad it exist. The gameplay took a bit of time to get used to, but once it clicked it was all good. Loved Cereza in this.

I might be able to fit in one more game until newyears but yeah, never got close to the 52. The type of game I play just wouldn't allow for so many in a single year. Still, I'm happy with the amount I played this year. The only way I'd ever be able to play 52 in a year is by focussing on smaller 3-10 hour games and that's just not gonna happen. Ow well, had fun!

Waking up from a lengthy hibernation, and have updated the hall of fame with a slew of folks that have hit the 52. A handful of you didn't DM, but I noticed your posts. If I'm missing others do prod me in DM so I can make sure I don't miss ya.

Have a great rest of year all, and new thread will be up prompt Jan 1st!
Sorry Wozzer, I didn't DM you because activity said you'd been away for months and I didn't want to bother you for such a trifle.

See you next thread
sad metal gear solid GIF

yamaci17

my challenge is complete as well!

NameDurationDateStar Rating90-100 5
85 90 4.5
80 85 4
75 80 3.5
70-75 3
1The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Hearts of Stone15 hrs9-Jan-20234.5
2The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt35 hrs16-Jan-20235
3Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Wrath of Druids8 hrs23-Jan-20233