• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$505 games: If you want a "free" upgrade to XSX/PS5 version of Control, you have to rebuy Ultimate Edition.

JonnyMP3

What really sucks is even Rockstar let you upgrade your PS360 copy of GTA5 for free to the PS4X1 for the first few months during this gen.

What really sucks is even Rockstar let you upgrade your PS360 copy of GTA5 for free to the PS4X1 for the first few months during this gen.

I don't remember such thing being put in place? I know that you could transfer your online character for a limited time but I don't recall like a discount/upgrade program when it was originally released on PS3/360.

Going back on topic, that is such a shitty practice. So anti-consumer. Vote with your wallets and don't buy into this bullshit.

Banned
I think that the idea of free console upgrades is a great consumer friendly position and advocate for it. With that said, when has this ever been the practice for consoles prior to this upcoming gen? I’m sure that they’ve done the financial analysis and see that the potential loss in revenue for pissing people off with this decision is less than the revenue from people double dipping. Look at Nintendo and their Wii U ports at full price on the Switch.

this is not only about the upgrade to next gen, this is about HOW they do it.

here's the issue:

DAY 1 CUSTOMER:
payed 60€ for the main game, and 30€ for the season pass
DOES NOT GET A NEXT GEN UPGRADE FOR FREE

CUSTOMER THAT BUYS THE ULTIMATE EDITION:
payed most likely 60€ or maybe even less for everything the day 1 customer bought
DOES GET A NEXT GEN UPGRADE FOR FREE

this is the situation, and that's the issue.
the people that supported the game since launch AND PAYED MORE for the same content, do not get the next gen version.
and the people that waited for a bargain price on the whole package get rewarded WHILE PAYING LESS MONEY

this is not about demanding a free upgrade for every game, this is about day 1 fans getting fucked over

and this 60€+30€ is the lowest amount you could have payed btw there were several special editions that were even more expensive, and they also don't grant you the next gen upgrade either.

you could have payed up to I think 110€ for the same content that is in the ultimate edition, but the cheaper ultimate edition owners will get this benefit

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

here's the issue:

DAY 1 CUSTOMER:

payed most likely 60€ or maybe even less for everything the day 1 customer bought

the people that supported the game since launch AND PAYED MORE for the same content, do not get the next gen version.
and the people that waited for a bargain price on the whole package get rewarded WHILE PAYING LESS MONEY

this is not about demanding a free upgrade for every game, this is about day 1 fans getting fucked over
And all is coming out in a same day as a DLC with fucking Alan Wake, so umm, do I spend just 20 bucks for DLC, or 50 for next-gen version. It's the one of the slimiest shit in a long time.

JonnyMP3

I don't remember such thing being put in place? I know that you could transfer your online character for a limited time but I don't recall like a discount/upgrade program when it was originally released on PS3/360.

Going back on topic, that is such a shitty practice. So anti-consumer. Vote with your wallets and don't buy into this bullshit.
No you're right. This only applied to a few games and not GTA.

My mix up was you could use your old PS360 GTA saves on the newer systems.

Mokus

If the DLCs are on the disc I'll buy it "again".

I don't see what is the problem. We see GOTY editions all the time. You get the best version possible for that game. In this case you get visual patch\upgrade too on the disc, something that has happened before this generation more than once.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I tried to play this game last night and it sent me right to sleep. Nice that it was only a free ps now trial. Couldn't imagine someone buying this game twice

Banned
If the DLCs are on the disc I'll buy it "again".

I don't see what is the problem. We see GOTY editions all the time. You get the best version possible for that game. In this case you get visual patch\upgrade too on the disc, something that has happened before this generation more than once.

👇

here's the issue:

DAY 1 CUSTOMER:

and this 60€+30€ is the lowest amount you could have payed btw there were several special editions that were even more expensive, and they also don't grant you the next gen upgrade either.

you could have payed up to I think 110€ for the same content that is in the ultimate edition, but the cheaper ultimate edition owners will get this benefit

Last edited:

here's the issue:

DAY 1 CUSTOMER:

I’ll agree with you on that. If someone has purchased all of the content, whether day 1 and DLC or the ultimate edition, they should be treated the same. I see no reason to do otherwise unless their analysis points to the ultimate edition being primarily double dippers driving the sales.

M1chl

I mean I get it from a business perspective, but it's bullshit all the same.
I don't especially here, because they are not big franchise where you can get away with everything so when they do shit like this, even less people showed up next time. Or rather they wait for some "UE", at 10USD price point.

Mokus

Don't you get it? For me it's more important that the physical game to be as complete is possible. In my collection I often replace the first edition with the GOTY edition. And if the first edition is with the metal case edition, than I keep them next to each other.

Hostile_18

Banned
So I totally agree this is wrong and hopefully will be reversed soon. If the DLC is that good it will stand on it's own in terms of value.

Also though, and on a lesser scale Persona 5 did not get pro/HDR support, only Persona 5 Royal, forcing people to upgrade if original owners wanted that. I think that's pretty shitty as well.

Yeah, pretty scummy practice. Hope it doesn't become a standard. Moves like these just burn goodwill with their most ardent fans who might not come back ever again, but in the other hand it also makes this version an attractive option for people going into next gen that don't have the game yet. They are probably gambling that the latter will outweigh the bad press they are getting right now, and that there will be enough fools that double dip as well. I don't have the game yet, so I'm excited about this complete version of the game. I'll probably skip the PS4 version altogether and just wait for the physical PS5 version next year, and then wait for that version to go on sale 😉. Maybe I'll get it pre owned, so that 505 doesn't get a single cent from me. I can't endorse this scummy behavior, but I feel bad for Remedy.

M1chl

Yeah, pretty scummy practice. Hope it doesn't become a standard. Moves like these just burn goodwill with their most ardent fans who might not come back ever again, but in the other hand it also makes this version an attractive option for people going into next gen that don't have the game yet. They are probably gambling that the latter will outweigh the bad press they are getting right now, and that there will be enough fools that double dip as well. I don't have the game yet, so I'm excited about this complete version of the game. I'll probably skip the PS4 version altogether and just wait for the physical PS5 version next year, and then wait for that version to go on sale 😉. Maybe I'll get it pre owned, so that 505 doesn't get a single cent from me. I can't endorse this scummy behavior, but I feel bad for Remedy.
Where are you getting the confidence that they are not going to release Control: Climax Edition with locked content on XSX/PS5? Because I can see this happen now.

The worst thing is, how good the game is. If any game does not desere this bullshit or hell if some devs does not deserve bullshit like this, it's Control/Remedy.

Justin9mm

This isnt a smart delivery problem lol. Phil always said its down to the devs whether they use it or not. They cant be forced to, well they probably could with money.
Which makes smart delivery fucking stupid, they pushed this concept down people's throats in their marketing.

Justin9mm

Agreed.
If you own normal version you should get normal version upgrade.
If you own deluxe version or season or whatever you should also get that upgrade.
That is how smart delivery should work.
For both MS and Sony.
Leaving it "up to developers" doesnt work. Especially MS should force them to make it more fair, since they are actively advertising it so much
Exactly, no point to smart delivery, it makes the whole thing a joke. Up to the devs line is a joke, of course they are going to make money where they can, this is why microtransactions exist.

M1chl

Which makes smart delivery fucking stupid, they pushed this concept down people's throats in their marketing.
Yustin1mm pls. This is not thread about that and none of it is pushed down to people's throat, it is simply feature and has one youtube video...so that ain't it chief, it's not MS or Sony's fault for that matter.

Cross-buy or Smart Delivery always were voluntary features for publishers to consider it, they are nothing new and on PC they are basically since the inception of OpenGL/Direct X/Vulkan, which makes various GPU, Soundcard, CPUs and all that shit backwards compatible for games.

jadedm17

Not clear on why the sentiment is we should get something for nothing, but this is not the way to go about discussing their decision.

Control is a great game btw,worth every penny.
Agreed.

The sentiment ive always carried is product is available for price, will i get my value?

I buy most shooters $60 day one knowing theyll hit $35 in a month or two not caring because ill get my $60 worth.

There was one iPad generation that lasted like 3 months and its the only time ive ever remotely understood buyers remorse. Otherwise im never hurt if a tv i paid $800 for is $600 the next month because i agreed id get $800 worth when i bought it.

Seems simple to me. :\

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Yustin1mm pls. This is not thread about that and none of it is pushed down to people's throat, it is simply feature and has one youtube video...so that ain't it chief, it's not MS or Sony's fault for that matter.

Cross-buy or Smart Delivery always were voluntary features for publishers to consider it, they are nothing new and on PC they are basically since the inception of OpenGL/Direct X/Vulkan, which makes various GPU, Soundcard, CPUs and all that shit backwards compatible for games.
Seriously? Microsoft are the kings of marketing bullshit.. You must not keep up with the latest news if you don't think Microsoft used this to try and sell the Series X. When really its a failed feature. It is exactly about that!

Go look at all the advertising for it, they made people perceive it as all their current gen games that will be patched for next gen will be automatically upgraded for free, the whole up to devs spill is the fine print.

And PC is a completely different situation to console gaming. You can't compare the two.

Last edited:

M1chl

Seriously? Microsoft are the kings of marketing bullshit.. You must not keep up with the latest news if you don't think Microsoft used this to try and sell the Series X. When really its a failed feature. It is exactly about that!

Go look at all the advertising for it, they made people perceive it as all their current gen games that will be patched for next gen will be automatically upgraded for free, the whole up to devs spill is the fine print.
Where? And why would you care, they never said in their official materials that every game is going to support it. So I don't see any shade in play. So like...this is not thread about console warring. I hope that it's clear that 505 games is shit, not Nintendo, Sony or MS.

Smart delivery is maybe unique in a way, that you buy single title which it does support and you get both versions, so that means that you can buy a gam for your Series X and then have a friend on older HW and that game is going to be valid there as well, if Sony is going to do the same, then good. Nothing bad comes out of it, so like...why are you mad?

Mr Hyde

This whole "upgrade for free"-marketing ploy is gonna turn real ugly going forward. It's not going to be a viable strategy for most publishers. Glad I held off on Control for this Ultimate Edition. It was a game that right off the bat screamed for a next gen version.

This whole "upgrade for free"-marketing ploy is gonna turn real ugly going forward. It's not going to be a viable strategy for most publishers. Glad I held off on Control for this Ultimate Edition. It was a game that right off the bat screamed for a next gen version.

It definitely feels next gen. There's so much shit going on all the time, no wonder it runs like ass on the PS4. It's not a PS4 game.

It's a great one though! Most fun I've had with a TPS since Sunset Overdrive.

M1chl

It's just a transition period so I am not sure what kind of more ugly it can turn into, than game which does not run properly on Base consoles, which you have to rebuy, it was broken product, clearly aimed at PCs/"Pro" consoles, so this is bullshit. Basically if you buy deluxe version while on OG HW, you get fuck all out of it and that could turn even for 505 games ugly, because next time people will say that it's not worth the money. And then Remedy is going to be in the trouble, apparently they were, if they sold the right for Control for few bucks basically for 20 years. It's shitshow all the way through. Control is not a Call of Duty or shit like that where they can get away with this type of bullshit.

It definitely feels next gen. There's so much shit going on all the time, no wonder it runs like ass on the PS4. It's not a PS4 game.

It's a great one though! Most fun I've had with a TPS since Sunset Overdrive.
And that's why this is a really sad thing, Control is fucking awesome, but it does not fucking run on base HW and I saw that shitshow at my friend's house and no it's not playable.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Basically if you buy deluxe version while on OG HW, you get fuck all out of it and that could turn even for 505 games ugly, because next time people will say that it's not worth the money. And then Remedy is going to be in the trouble, apparently they were, if they sold the right for Control for few bucks basically for 20 years. It's shitshow all the way through. Control is not a Call of Duty or shit like that where they can get away with this type of bullshit.

Of course it's fucking bullshit. But in the end, publishers are not running a charity and the way the industry operates, chasing every nickle and dime, next gen upgrades is something that you should not expect. If you get it, more power to you, but now it seems that everyone is expecting their last gen games to be upgraded for free when this entire fucking industry is built on remasters, complete editions, ultimate editions etc. That's why this is going to turn ugly. The outrage around this has only begun. Not everyone has the luxury to be goodwill like CDPR.

M1chl

Of course it's fucking bullshit. But in the end, publishers are not running a charity and the way the industry operates, chasing every nickle and dime, next gen upgrades is something that you should not expect. If you get it, more power to you, but now it seems that everyone is expecting their last gen games to be upgraded for free when this entire fucking industry is built on remasters, complete editions, ultimate editions etc. That's why this is going to turn ugly. The outrage around this has only begun. Not everyone has the luxury to be goodwill like CDPR.
Sure but CDPR wa build on pro-consumer shit in post-communist Poland. They were distributor first with localisation and fair prices....whatever you know the story. The narrative is that the consoles are basically like PCs, which everyone knows, so people knows that this upgrades are minor code change, so I think we are in different times, with different expectations. Maybe is just my feeling however if nothing else, Control PC game, bound to EGS, so it's also in a wallet garden eco-system, was upgraded for free, so it should be like that for everyone, since these times, actual platform holders do not preventing it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Would be nice for this thread to be pinned. In the context of a next gen, setting good & bad expectations needs full scrutiny.

is there any noise on twitter towards them?

Justin9mm

Where? And why would you care, they never said in their official materials that every game is going to support it. So I don't see any shade in play. So like...this is not thread about console warring. I hope that it's clear that 505 games is shit, not Nintendo, Sony or MS.

Smart delivery is maybe unique in a way, that you buy single title which it does support and you get both versions, so that means that you can buy a gam for your Series X and then have a friend on older HW and that game is going to be valid there as well, if Sony is going to do the same, then good. Nothing bad comes out of it, so like...why are you mad?
I'm not the only one saying this and I'm not going to waste my time explaining how good business should work.

And I care because its manipulative marketing to the consumer. Sony didn't market their version as a selling feature of the PS5 like Microsoft did, you are obviously an Xbox fan boy if you can't see how Microsoft marketed this wrong.

Last edited:

M1chl

Would be nice for this thread to be pinned. In the context of a next gen, setting good & bad expectations needs full scrutiny.

is there any noise on twitter towards them?
Not much, I am not sure how to create a thre of shitty publisher tactics, where we can then compile publisher which do dumb shit. Should I dm some mod or I don't know how am I suppose to do that. But yeah I feel like it's important.

I'm not the only one saying this and I'm not going to waste my time explaining how good business should work.

And I care because its manipulative marketing to the consumer. Sony didn't market their version as a selling feature of the PS5 like Microsoft did, you are obviously an Xbox fan boy if you can't see how Microsoft marketed this wrong.
Meh, get out of this thread, nobody needs you here. This is not about platform holders and nothing which either of those companies said was not deceptive, maybe in your little make.believe brain. Please let adult have a debate in peace about shitty publishers.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Microsoft certainly did give the impression that all games with a next gen release will be an automatic upgrade for current gen customers. News sites wrote about it, forums discussed it. Indeed, it set my expectation so much so that I expected Sony to follow, just without all the hoohaa.

Was it clear to everyone that it was only for their own studios? If that’s the case why was it even worthy of a talking point. People should be honest about all this and unite to keep the bastards honest.

Last edited:

M1chl

Microsoft certainly did give the impression that all games with a next gen release will be an automatic upgrade for current gen customers. News sites wrote about it, forums discussed it.

Was it clear to everyone that it was only for their own studios? If that’s the case why was it even worthy of a talking point. People should be honest about all this and unite to keep the bastards honest.

One of the most exciting of the technologies we’re introducing with Xbox Series X is Smart Delivery, which will ensure that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. This technology is available for all developers, and all Xbox Game Studios titles that are Optimized for Xbox Series X, including Halo Infinite, will support Smart Delivery.

But what does that mean for you, the player? Well, it means that if you purchase the Xbox One version of a supported title, we will deliver the best version of it to your Xbox One, as usual. If you decide to jump into the next generation with Xbox Series X, we will automatically provide the Xbox Series X version of the game at no additional cost when it becomes available. You won’t need to do anything in terms of choosing a version to download. We’ll take care of all of that. And it’s not just limited to games that you purchase digitally; physical discs of Xbox games can also support Smart Delivery if the developer or publisher decides to implement it.

So get the fuck out with some deceptive marketing Justin9mm Justin9mm

Shmunter

One of the most exciting of the technologies we’re introducing with Xbox Series X is Smart Delivery, which will ensure that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. This technology is available for all developers, and all Xbox Game Studios titles that are Optimized for Xbox Series X, including Halo Infinite, will support Smart Delivery.

But what does that mean for you, the player? Well, it means that if you purchase the Xbox One version of a supported title, we will deliver the best version of it to your Xbox One, as usual. If you decide to jump into the next generation with Xbox Series X, we will automatically provide the Xbox Series X version of the game at no additional cost when it becomes available. You won’t need to do anything in terms of choosing a version to download. We’ll take care of all of that. And it’s not just limited to games that you purchase digitally; physical discs of Xbox games can also support Smart Delivery if the developer or publisher decides to implement it.

So get the fuck out with some deceptive marketing Justin9mm Justin9mm
Ahh the old, load all the good news upfront that will be quoted and re-quoted ad nauseam and leave the bad news to the end where 95% won’t even read to or comprehend. You know how this works.

Even now it sounds like only Disc versions are optional meaning digital is not. But I doubt that’s even the case. Anyway, fuck this, Control needs to be flogged for their practice at this particular time.

M1chl

Ahh the old, load all the good news upfront that will be quoted and re-quoted ad nauseam and leave the bad news to the end where 95% won’t even read to or comprehend. You know how this works.

Even now it sounds like only Disc versions are optional meaning digital is not. But I doubt that’s even the case. Anyway, fuck this, Control needs to be flogged for their practice at this particular time.
Well this is not thread about MS/Sony/Nintendo, but 505 Games for fuck sake, I don't even know, what are people doing here console warring.

Anyway, best way probably is going to be bump the thread from time to time.

Bump the thread 'member.

Shmunter

Well this is not thread about MS/Sony/Nintendo, but 505 Games for fuck sake, I don't even know, what are people doing here console warring.

Anyway, best way probably is going to be bump the thread from time to time.

Bump the thread 'member.
The twitter thread to push their button directly, can you put into op?

CitizenX

Banned
So basically a patch is not being updated for current owners, that is pretty horseshit, but if you havent figured out the best version of any game is a yr later, then i cant help you.

M1chl

So basically a patch is not being updated for current owners, that is pretty horseshit, but if you havent figured out the best version of any game is a yr later, then i cant help you.
What do you mean, don't understand?

Justin9mm

Meh, get out of this thread, nobody needs you here. This is not about platform holders and nothing which either of those companies said was not deceptive, maybe in your little make.believe brain. Please let adult have a debate in peace about shitty publishers.

Get a life mate, you are an absolute muppet, of course this relates to platform holders. How about no one needs you here, get your head out your ass!

You can see in this thread you are literally damage controlling everyone as soon as someone says something negative about Microsoft/Xbox.

Last edited:

DonF

I haven't read all the responses, but this is just the upgrade, right? People who own the game will be able to play it ps4/xbox1 compability mode.

Get a life mate, you are an absolute muppet, of course this relates to platform holders. How about no one needs you here, get your head out your ass!

You can see in this thread you are literally damage controlling everyone as soon as someone says something negative about Microsoft/Xbox.

Boy did you ever miss the point of this thread lol.

alstrike

I have to admit that I once said regarding "Smart Delivery" (and whatever PS5 has) that the platform holders couldn't force the publishers/developers to give the next-gen version for free. I still stand by it* because this is a business at the end of the day and no one gives money away just like that.

This is however a completely different dick move that 505 pulled and should be punished by MS/Sony, forcing customers to buy the game twice? GTFO with that shit.

(*) Please note, I'm all for free upgrades but I know that not every publisher/developer is on board with this.

Justin9mm

Boy did you ever miss the point of this thread lol.
Did I? Explain to me how I did..? This thread is about a publisher and their greedy corporate anti-consumer ways to make a profit.

All I did was basically comment that this is why Microsoft's smart delivery feature is flawed. And somehow M1chl M1chl claims this is not related at all and it's console warring!? And then tells me to get out of this thread and nobody needs me here.

Did not realise people don't have right to opinion on GAF, is this a dictatorship?

Did I? Explain to me how I did..? This thread is about a publisher and their greedy corporate anti-consumer ways to make a profit.

All I did was basically comment that this is why Microsoft's smart delivery feature is flawed. And somehow M1chl M1chl claims this is not related at all and it's console warring!? And then tells me to get out of this thread and nobody needs me here.

Did not realise people don't have right to opinion on GAF, is this a dictatorship?

But this is out of the hands of Microsoft, you shouldn't feel the need to shoehorn them into this discussion. Maybe open a separate thread and use Control as an example. Having this done here dilutes the conversation about 505 and the patch. Control is a great game, it's also a great game that absolutely needs the next generation. 505 is being shitty here and we shouldn't diverge the attention from that.

Justin9mm

But this is out of the hands of Microsoft, you shouldn't feel the need to shoehorn them into this discussion. Maybe open a separate thread and use Control as an example. Having this done here dilutes the conversation about 505 and the patch. Control is a great game, it's also a great game that absolutely needs the next generation. 505 is being shitty here and we shouldn't diverge the attention from that.
Well I don't really agree with that.. Yes it is out of the hands of Microsoft but I don't think its getting off topic. My original intention was not to make this a shit on Xbox thread. I made a comment about smart delivery because it most certainly relates to this for reasons that I won't start discussing now because hey I'm shoehorning them into this thread. It's someone else who opened up a can of worms about it. I was ready to leave it there. I wasn't even the first one to bring it up in this thread.

I'm not going to be bullied and told 'you need to get out of this thread, you don't need to be here' and 'get the fuck out' because he doesn't like my comments and opinions. What is he 5!?

Hostile_18

Banned
Surely Remedy arnt completely innocent in this? They have the power to stand up to such practices.

Also for those that said about cost. It costs very, very little for such patches. I think Mark Cerny said it's less than 2% of your entire development cost. A free PS5 patch would bring in extra money by enticing gamers who were on the fence about the game who are seeing friends replay it/plus the PS5 store entry etc.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I haven't read all the responses, but this is just the upgrade, right? People who own the game will be able to play it ps4/xbox1 compability mode.
For me it's not "just" the upgrade. Control is one of the games desperately needing a big performance boost from the next-gen consoles. Not being able to experience that by being limited to backwards compatibility will suck for the original buyers of the game.

DonF

For me it's not "just" the upgrade. Control is one of the games desperately needing a big performance boost from the next-gen consoles. Not being able to experience that by being limited to backwards compatibility will suck for the original buyers of the game.
I mean if the game runs at an unlocked frame rate or has drops, the ps4 pro legacy should still perform better than og ps4 pro.

Top Bottom