• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$505 games: If you want a "free" upgrade to XSX/PS5 version of Control, you have to rebuy Ultimate Edition.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Pretty dodgey but is this something that they said from day 1 or is it just a new announcement? If it's from day 1 it is sucky but it was known. If it's new, which I think it is, it's really brutal

Last edited:

NickFire

I believe 2k is essentially doing this too with NBA. To hell with every company doing this. I will not buy any games that go this route ever.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
tenor.gif

Anyway here is the info graphic:
NBA-2k21-Priceline-2048x863.png

So technicall you also get fuck all and have to wait.

Yowza.

I stand corrected.

Fnord

I'm roughly halfway through Control and am absolutely loving it so far. Only shelved it temporarily because Ghost of Tsushima sucked me all the way in. That said, there's no way I'd re-buy it just to get it on PS5. And if 505 were smart, they'd dangle a free upgrade to next-gen as a carrot for buying ANY version of the game, considering how poorly it sold to begin with.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes. It has satisfying combat, but shitty map design, shitty acting, a story written by someone who thinks they’re better than they really are, shitty character models, and generic environments. Lame ass game
Meet me outside

Or not rather, I am still rebuilding my post-transplant muscle mass, I would probably get my ass handed to me

Now this type of outrage I can get behind. Let's rage so that we can get the free upgrade for next gen systems 🤣
I suffer enough communism, so I have right™ to have it as a free update!

Well, honestly if you buy game day one, buy an expansion pass it's the same thing what you get with "ultimate edition", so I don't see a fucking difference.

Last edited:

Fnord

Leaving it "up to developers" doesnt work. Especially MS should force them to make it more fair, since they are actively advertising it so much

No, "leaving it up to developers" absolutely works. It allows developers/publishers to demonstrate where they stand in regards to customer value. From a broader standpoint, it's not like gamers are entitled to free upgrades. Leave it up to developers and let them show us who they are.

Meet me outside

Or not rather, I am still rebuilding my post-transplant muscle mass, I would probably get my ass handed to me

I suffer enough communism, so I have right™ to have it as a free update!

Well, honestly if you buy game day one, buy an expansion pass it's the same thing what you get with "ultimate edition", so I don't see a fucking difference.
Exactly! For the people! 🙌🏼

Fight the power! 💪🏼

Night.Ninja

Banned
I reckon they will do a paid upgrade for people who have bought the game already, just depends how much.

Because it could be cheaper to buy the game and pay for the upgrade but I'm sure they would rather you buy the unlimited version.

M1chl

I reckon they will do a paid upgrade for people who have bought the game already, just depends how much.

Because it could be cheaper to buy the game and pay for the upgrade but I'm sure they would rather you buy the unlimited version.
MS say, that this is not permissible. To force pubs/devs to give it for free or...well this. Not sure how it is with Sony. You cannot upgrade to a new SKU on store, for less money than "retail"...

M1chl

This is also really reassuring:

Pretty small investement if you ask me.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Oh fuck that. Fuck off. What slimey bullshit.

I was pissed off with the DLC scumbaggery but now they pull this shit on top?

Remedy, mate. Get another publisher, these guys are fucking atrocious.

Not in the loop. I'm curious what happened with the DLC? I don't want to support shit practices.

MrS

Banned
NO

But it's best game this gen.
Haha no. It was a solid 8/10 but let’s not get too carried away my guy.

Fuck 505 for this. Will try not to buy any of their other games, quality permitting of course.

Last edited:

Banned
Not clear on why the sentiment is we should get something for nothing, but this is not the way to go about discussing their decision.

Control is a great game btw,worth every penny.

here is the issue.

if you are an early adopter, supported the game since day 1.
you bought all the DLCs and supported them that way as well.

then you SPENT MORE MONEY than what the Ultimate Edition will cost. FOR THE SAME CONTENT.

now here's a guy that didn't buy the game day 1 and didn't support the developers by buying all the DLC until now that they buy the Ultimate Edition which is cheaper.

so the og community that bought the game and payed more money DOES NOT GET the free upgrade.
the new customers that payed less money DO GET the free upgrade.

it's pretty clear why this is the scummiest move you could ever make as a publisher.

Last edited:
I am not sure what constitutes for nothing if you actually bought the game and support this project, besides performance issues on base consoles are fact, so at least they should do it because of that.

I am not saying that they should not sell the ultimate edition or anything like that, but not like this

Control is my favorite game of this gen, so it's personal.
But there is a disconnect in expecting a performance upgrade on future hardware, even though I recognize that there is an existing engineered method that enables it to happen, but that's a feature for the platform to offer, not the developer. If the developer has to commit resources to go back and update their existing catalog for a new device, I empathize with their attitude to charge for it, especially if it is an involved process.

I acknowledge and agree with demands for a developer to attempt to address performance issue's for the original platform's version purely as a matter of quality control and to avoid the augur of false advertisement, but returning to sold goods to retroactively implement new features is a practice laden with costs if Sony/MS aren't providing a streamlined way to achieve it.

question, say i don't get the ultimate edition because I don't want to experience the game on PS4, but want to experience it on PS5. If that being the case, would there still be a standalone PS5 release for the game for purchase?

here is the issue.

if you are an early adopter, supported the game since day 1.
you bought all the DLCs and supported them that way as well.

then you SPENT MORE MONEY than what the Ultimate Edition will cost. FOR THE SAME CONTENT.

now here's a guy that didn't buy the game day 1 and didn't support the developers by buying all the DLC until now that they buy the Ultimate Edition which is cheaper.

so the og community that bought the game and payed more money DOES NOT GET the free upgrade.
the new customers that payed less money DO GET the free upgrade.

it's pretty clear why this is the scummiest move you could ever make as a publisher.
Good point. I am in the same boat somewhat, though I always intended to play Control on my existing device and having the extra features on PS5 doesn't carry much value, personally (it would be nice, but I'll have moved on at that point).

I likely paid less than what the ultimate edition will cost since I got both the base game and season pass on sale, so there is a dollars-and-cents argument that I didn't pay for those extra features anyway if 505 Games were to make it, but that's anecdotal to me.

I suppose the broader argument is whether this is actually due to workload or purely business. I'd be surprised to learn that 505 is willfully preventing Remedy from updating the base game files in order to incentivize purchasing the Ultimate Edition, unless there is a cost element I'm missing (which may be, updating games on PSN/XBL does cost quite a bit, so that may be the reason for 505 adopting this tact).

M1chl

Not in the loop. I'm curious what happened with the DLC? I don't want to support shit practices.
First DLC has 3 months delay before it came out on Xbox, PC(EGS)/PS4 have it normally...

Just to clarify, you would still be able to play the game on new consoles with backwards compatibility right?
Most likely yeah, but with zero enhancement.

Last edited:

skneogaf

The game is a massive let down so don't bother with it, I have tried my best and am I think quite far but it's not interesting story wise and the feel of the player feels like something from years ago.

I much prefer quantum break and I still have the 2 dlc's to try.

post-S

This is even worse than 2k
At least with 2k it’s announced in advance and you do get extra content with ultimate edition.
This ultimate edition is just a repackage of the exact same stuff

Last edited:

M1chl

This is way worse than 2k
At least with 2k it’s announced in advance and you do get extra content with ultimate edition.
This ultimate edition is just a repackage of same stuff
Yeah you are right. Why it has to be Control for fuck sake, such a good game.

Dibils2k

wow wtf, i was glad supporting this game when it came out for actually being dynamic and having realtime physics

but this is such a shitty practice

Keihart

Ah, this makes sense because the game was made before that mandate of PS4 games being natively PS5 games too right? The base game will probably still run in emulated mode.
I personally think that this is alright even if not desirable...it's another version of the game in the end with extra development, but i wouldn't drop the cash for it now that they announced this.

Last edited:

engstra

First DLC has 3 months delay before it came out on Xbox, PC(EGS)/PS4 have it normally...

Most likely yeah, but with zero enhancement.

Well it still be able to run better than on a base ps4 I'm hoping. That's the pretence I bought the game on.

M1chl

Well it still be able to run better than on a base ps4 I'm hoping. That's the pretence I bought the game on.
We don't know yet how is BC going to work on PS5, it's probably same game better performance as on Xbox, but will see.

Ah, this makes sense because the game was made before that mandate of PS4 games being natively PS5 games too right? The base game will probably still run in emulated mode.
I personally think that this is alright even if not desirable...it's another version of the game in the end with extra development, but i wouldn't drop the cash for it now if they announce this.
Does not make it right, tho. It's not like Ultimate Edition is aanything new other than repackaged content with different app manifest.

Top Bottom