• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

505 Games accepts it didn’t handle Control next-gen upgrade ‘in the best way’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Developer Remedy confirmed at the time that “the free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition,” meaning those who purchased it previously weren’t eligible.

“Every transition from one generation to another creates challenges for both development and publishing,” Ralley told GI.biz. “The Smart Delivery option, if I can use that term to generalise, was something we hadn’t faced before as an industry.

“For Control, we made certain decisions restricted how we could perform Smart Delivery for the next-gen version of Control. They were the correct decisions at the time, but they created those blockers.

“We were unable to backtrack and reorganise how we were developing the Ultimate Edition for there to be a sensible and fair way to do Smart Delivery.

“We learnt a lot from that. Did we as a publisher handle it in the best way and communicate it in the best way to the audience? Maybe not. But we did our best to satisfy consumers.

“Moving forwards, we will be able to do this in a much better way and you’ll see that in the next examples that we’ve got with Ghostrunner at the end of September and Assetto Corsa in early 2022. I’m very confident that we’ll handle that in a much better way.”

Barakov

o5BxTxS.gif

Plantoid

Actually I'm kind of spoiled already because PC has no such thing as "smart delivery" or "double entitlement"

But, on topic, I will never pay for a little bump in graphics, that's against my principles, see doom eternal.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Di
Developer Remedy confirmed at the time that “the free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition,” meaning those who purchased it previously weren’t eligible.

“Every transition from one generation to another creates challenges for both development and publishing,” Ralley told GI.biz. “The Smart Delivery option, if I can use that term to generalise, was something we hadn’t faced before as an industry.

“For Control, we made certain decisions restricted how we could perform Smart Delivery for the next-gen version of Control. They were the correct decisions at the time, but they created those blockers.

“We were unable to backtrack and reorganise how we were developing the Ultimate Edition for there to be a sensible and fair way to do Smart Delivery.

“We learnt a lot from that. Did we as a publisher handle it in the best way and communicate it in the best way to the audience? Maybe not. But we did our best to satisfy consumers.

“Moving forwards, we will be able to do this in a much better way and you’ll see that in the next examples that we’ve got with Ghostrunner at the end of September and Assetto Corsa in early 2022. I’m very confident that we’ll handle that in a much better way.”
F’ing MBA’s over there… The problem is not how you communicated it or how you handled it, the problem was “it”… it was a stupid decision period.

505:
digging sarah chalke GIF

Klik

We'll see how will ACC be on PS5. The gameplay video showcase for PS5/XsX was kinda underwhelming.

Considering Ryzen + RTX 2070super can do 1440p/max settings with 60fps there's no reason why both PS5/XsX can't do that

Forsythia

I'm still pissed about this. Fuck over loyal customers and iirc they only announced the Ultimate Edition (and the included upgrade) after the season pass went on sale on PS4 and the first dlc released on Xbox. It's bullshit. They could've given the upgrade for free to anyone with the base game and the dlc's, but they just didn't want to.

Kuranghi

Who even gives a shit about that compared to them completely fucking the presentation of the PS5 re-release (gamma fucked, completely black/"crushed" rooms in the game, "blue" darkness, etc) from the original release on PC/PS4, they said they "fixed" it a few weeks after release on twitter but they made it even worse and its still in that state today, fucking joke for people that never played it outside of the UE.

People say "but there are areas in the original release that are pitch black" and thats true except none of those rooms contain collectibles or lore whereas in the PS5 UE version there are rooms I remember exploring and seeing things clearly and they are just pitch black on PS5. Fucking trash. You can increase the slider to 60 from default of 50 but that just ruins every other area in the game to compensate.

Looked fantastic on my PC/display when I played it originally and I was totally befuddled by the complete fuck up they released on PS5. Its made worse by whatever this misunderstanding/incompatibility devs have with PS5 SDR output where the gamma is altered and shadows are slightly crushed but that was far from the main reason it was fucked, because I saw XSX footage too and it still has all these weird problems the og release didn't.

I would've been pissed if I hadn't got that for free through PS Plus, beeg shame for everyone who doesn't know any better and think thats what its supposed to look like.

Hargate

Geez talk about transparent. Hey sorry we OBVIOUSLY screwed up, but don't forget to Pre-Order our new game out SOON. Timely release so they can talk about their new games. PR BS nothing More.

Edit: OH and there JUST HAPPENS to be a 505 game sale going on too at steam right now. Don't fall for the apology tours before new game release they like to do see; Bethesda before every release.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

I got the game free with my graphics card, and free on the PS5, so I have no investment outside of my playtime. I enjoyed what I have played of it, but didn’t get any of the DLC. The character model is unpleasant to look at and has the personality of a 2 x 4.

Tommi84

So you accept that after most people already bought the game? F you. Ohh, and it's nice you already mentioned those two games you will be releasing soon so people can buy them :)

Corgi1985

Banned
Man steps on his own dick. Man: guess i could have done that better.

505 can fuck themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing but were so arrogant they didn't think about the backlash.

fatmarco

The save game thing for me, is the biggest issue. I 100% finished the main game on Game Pass, and as much as I want to play them, I simply cannot be fucked replaying it again just to play the DLC.

It's too long and too repetitive to demand that of players. Witcher 3 had it right.

skit_data

I was pretty pissed, I bought both the game and the season pass for full price on PS4.

Luckily PS+ saved the day but I can imagine Xbox owners/Non PS+ subscribers might still be very pissed if they were in the same situation as me.

MaddMatt

Neo Member
I stopped playing on the base ps4 because it played like complete ass. That was the bigger issue. Seems good on PS5, but haven’t gotten around to playing through, not sure I will.

saintjules

I couldn’t even play the DLC on the XSX/PS5 version without replaying the whole game again which I’m definitely not doing.

I actually ended up doing that for the new-gen version. It is what it is, but moving forward, it's something I probably won't do.

I understand for a game like Judgment for instance, there were some mini games that supposedly prevented cross-saves from happening. As much as I would love to play the 60fps version, I wasn't about to start all over. Games like what's mentioned takes a lot to get back into again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom