• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Wii U games have been ported to Switch, 67% of Wii U games rated 85+ on MC. RIP.

Robb

Gold Member
Nah, I enjoyed the WiiU for what it was. The big games were, and still are, great and it's nice that more people get to experience them on Switch imo. Locking them away on a system that only 10M people bought would be a shame.

I haven't doubble dipped on any ported WiiU titles except for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Best reason to own a Wii U at this point is because it's a nice little emulation monster.
So if I have a Wii U I don't need a Series S?

Emoji Think GIF

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
With Fatal Frame coming to Switch (and others) the Wii U loses yet another reason to own one. But now we are at 50, yes, 50 Wii U ports to Switch, and I don't think that includes indies so it's likely higher, but for major releases the Wii U has lost 67% apparently of it's library scored above 85 on Metacritic.

This is worse than the Dreamcast, Nintendo had effectively shot the Wii U and is stomping on its corpse for fun.

At this point there's nearly no reason to own a Wii U and Nintendo has pushed it out of the conversation so much, it's already for many people a forgotten system, and it's only been 5 years since it was discontinued, and 3 since most games were taken out the majority of stores.

For those who brought a Wii U day 1 or later, are you pissed off? Did you get angry knowing you made a mistake buying a Wii U?

I used to know this guy, just bought and fixed a new house, had no money because he had to pay the debts, and the first thing he saved for was a Wii U.

I really didn’t like him, so the thought amuses me.

amarito69

The wii u is my young kids console for mario and pokemon including wii catalog. Games are quite cheap. I had a lot of fun with it at release and happy that my kids are now enjoying it.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So if I have a Wii U I don't need a Series S?

Emoji Think GIF
Lol. It depends on what you want I guess. Series S is def. better in that regard. But if you have a Wii U sitting in a closet or can find one for dirt cheap, it's def. a very capable emulation machine. I've played a ton of Gamecube and SNES games on mine and having off-tv play is a nice little feature to use when I have Charlie's Colorform City playing on my TV for my daughter and I'm just hanging out playing Comix Zone or Luigi's Mansion on the Wii U tablet.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
They really dropped the bomb on porting a HD version of the Twilight Prinecess on Wii U. I actually was going to pick up the Wii U just for that title. At that point I knew the Switch was coming out and was like "It will be able to handle Wii U games, since that system was basically a "gap filler" between the Wii and Switch :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

giphy.gif

Yeah, it appears unlikely that Switch will receive Twilight Princess or Wind Waker from the Wii U. If history is any indication, Breath of the Wild 2 will be Nintendo's last major videogame for the Switch before revealing their next console.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Why would any Wii U fan be pissed about this? It's not like the system has been on the market in years. These games remaining exclusive wouldn't accomplish anything.

WiiU was the wrong system, and marketed badly, and it failed on its merits, by offering neither competitive, not any other value added (like Switch's portability) to make up for it.

Edokataki

Banned
With Fatal Frame coming to Switch (and others) the Wii U loses yet another reason to own one. But now we are at 50, yes, 50 Wii U ports to Switch, and I don't think that includes indies so it's likely higher, but for major releases the Wii U has lost 67% apparently of it's library scored above 85 on Metacritic.

This is worse than the Dreamcast, Nintendo had effectively shot the Wii U and is stomping on its corpse for fun.

At this point there's nearly no reason to own a Wii U and Nintendo has pushed it out of the conversation so much, it's already for many people a forgotten system, and it's only been 5 years since it was discontinued, and 3 since most games were taken out the majority of stores.

For those who brought a Wii U day 1 or later, are you pissed off? Did you get angry knowing you made a mistake buying a Wii U?
Do you have sex also with your Wii U? It is a box of plastic that plays games and it was not that successful, why someone has to be pissed of for an item that he bought 10 fucking years ago and paid 300. You played that games we did not. Let us have fun also, we don't want to make you angry. And second, every item you buy is essential or you buy from time to time things that you don't need? I don't think there is a human in this planet that hasnt once in his life bought something stupid or useless. So stop getting angry for 300€ you paid 10 years ago.

Last edited:

I really don't get your point. If 50 of Wii U's games were ported onto Switch, it means that those games were hits. It was a blast to play them on Wii U.
By no means does it make a mistake of having bought a Wii U.
I am very glad to have been able to play those gems (plus some others, which haven't yet been ported to Switch, like Affordable Space Adventures, and the whole Wii catalogue) when I still had the time to play them. Now that I have a very busy life, I don't even bother to buy a Switch because the tiny bits of time I have left, I spend them on the Wii U games I haven't finished yet.

i stil need get my Wii U fixed. i aint rebuying all those games for Switch.

How does Mario Maker 2 work for Switch? Does it have the touch screen stuff? Because i luv the original with the stupid stylus.

67% is small fry.

95.92808152% of the Saturn and Dreamcast libraries were ported from arcades.
Not even close.

Do you have sex also with your Wii U? It is a box of plastic that plays games and it was not that successful, why someone has to be pissed of for an item that he bought 10 fucking years ago and paid 300. You played that games we did not. Let us have fun also, we don't want to make you angry. And second, every item you buy is essential or you buy from time to time things that you don't need? I don't think there is a human in this planet that hasnt once in his life bought something stupid or useless. So stop getting angry for 300€ you paid 10 years ago.

I don't own a Wii U, are you projecting?

I really don't get your point. If 50 of Wii U's games were ported onto Switch, it means that those games were hits.

This isn't true at all.

Intoxicate

I bought both day one. Except Nintendo Land nothing stood out. I liked the idea of remote play on the tablet, but it didn’t worked being more than 5m. The OS was incredibly slow so I didn’t want to boot the system up. I double dipped most of the games I owned on the Wii U since I haven’t beaten them back then. Long story short, the Switch should get all Wii U games ported since it’s a far more accessible and responsive system!

Banned
The same games in overlapping gens that are most of the Wii Us critically acclaimed library.

and you can say the same for many consoles... the amount of HD Remasters on the PS360 was crazy, almost every big name game was brought back as a remaster... we are talking Ratchet & Clank, Jak, Killzone 1, SplinterCell 1-3, Ninja Gaiden, GTA San Andreas, Sly Cooper, Halo, Fable, Beyond Good & Evil, Resident Evil 4, MGS2+3, God of War 1+2 and so on and so forth.

and it's not like these ports we see on Switch are actually that much better if at all better than the Wii U versions... in fact, Wonderful 101 is still best played on Wii U... that Splitscreen shit you have to do on the new consoles is a joke... I tried playing like that back on the Wii U when I wanted to play it off-TV and it sucked as much back then as it does now.
Bayonetta 2 runs marginally smoother on Switch... wow!

the only real upgraded versions we've seen so far were maybe Mario kart 8 Deluxe and Mario 3D World... maybe... I mean that's it really. I can't think of one that's actually improved to the point of me wanting it on Switch instead of playing the Wii U version. While what you saw with all those PS360 remaster games, you actually got a way better experience usually! higher resolution, better framerate, better textures, faster loading etc. so not only have you bought maybe a console in order to play these, now these versions are obsolete because the newer ones are just way better

Last edited:

Banned
No t even close and nowhere near most of their too rated libraries. Huge lists of games never left.

well, that has to do with them having very huge libraries... while the Wii U had a very small one. but still, all the PS2 system sellers Sony made were re-released on PS3 + many non Sony games

well, that has to do with them having very huge libraries... while the Wii U had a very small one. but still, all the PS2 system sellers Sony made were re-released on PS3 + many non Sony games
Nope, some still never came. You're really not understanding how badly the Wii U got screwed.

Last edited:

Banned
Nope, some still never came. You're really not understanding how badly the Wii U got screwed.

name Sony system sellers on PS2 that never came to PS3... and I mean the top sellers that actually sold consoles

Jak 1-3, GoW 1-2, Ratchet 1-3, Killzone... the only Sony games left on PS2 are the ones that Sony thought would not sell, same it true for the Wii U.

name Sony system sellers on PS2 that never came to PS3... and I mean the top sellers that actually sold consoles

Jak 1-3, GoW 1-2, Ratchet 1-3, Killzone... the only Sony games left on PS2 are the ones that Sony thought would not sell, same it true for the Wii U.
Games that didn't sell got ported to.

Again you are failing to understand something very simple. There's nothing like the Wii U situation anywhere else, it's not comparable. You thinking only system sellers were brought to the switch shows you dont understand the issue.

Jubenhimer

Really because this year has been pretty slow for them lately.
This month alone they're publishing 3 games (Game Builder Garage, DC Superhero Girls, Mario Golf). Nintendo releases at least one game nearly every month, that's more than you can say for Sony and Microsoft, especially Sony who often has 3+ month gaps between first party releases.

Now if you're arguing about big budget AAA first party droughts, that's a different argument entirely.

Last edited:

Banned
Games that didn't sell got ported to.

Again you are failing to understand something very simple. There's nothing like the Wii U situation anywhere else, it's not comparable. You thinking only system sellers were brought to the switch shows you dont understand the issue.

there was barely a failure as bad as the Wii U either. so the Wii U is in a situation like almost no other console

alf717

I agree, I haven't found much of a reason to get the Switch versions since they don't offer much for $60. $60 for Bowser's Fury too much for my liking. However if others can play what they missed on WiiU on Switch then that is fine with me.

theclaw135

Banned
Nintendo is right to disregard the selfish meatbags that are Wii U owners. Keeping a game stranded on discontinued hardware benefits no one.

Just imagine if, at a marketing planning session, someone said "don't port that game, we want to encourage people to buy a Wii U!". They'd be laughed out of the building.

93xfan

Banned

I don’t think the Wii will be forgotten. Btw, any reason you keep putting a “U” at the end? Is that some Euro model with a voltage converter? Or some expansion thingy?

Zannegan

Bring the rest. A good game is a good game. It's not like keeping them exclusive to the Wii U helps Wii U owners in any way, and hopefully the Switch library will be forward compatible.

Basically, bring them into the fold and make the accessible on all Nintendo platforms moving forward.

I just wish they'd "port" the Wii U's control sticks.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Bringeth Paper Mario: Color Splash to the Switch!!

Ever since Mario Party Superstars has been revealed, I cannot be stopped

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
In that case PS3 has the 2nd best library of all time. PC is first.
Wii U library is Wii U games. The rest is a bonus. As an emulation machine and Wii replacement, it got a lot of worth, but on its own merits, it can't compete with other Nintendo systems.

Tschumi

My wii u gives me access to lag-free GameCube games. And wii for that matter. So as far as I'm concerned it's only lost a thin shaving of its value as a platform with these ports

tassletine

Knowing I made a mistake?

The only mistakes I've ever made buying consoles were the first two box consoles since they both broke fairly quickly.
The WiiU was a lot of fun and I look forward to selling the games and the console once it becomes collectible -- Just like every other console I own.

Murdoch

I bought both day one. Except Nintendo Land nothing stood out. I liked the idea of remote play on the tablet, but it didn’t worked being more than 5m. The OS was incredibly slow so I didn’t want to boot the system up. I double dipped most of the games I owned on the Wii U since I haven’t beaten them back then. Long story short, the Switch should get all Wii U games ported since it’s a far more accessible and responsive system!

Watching the first boot up of the Wii U and the corresponding OS updates that took hours upon hours genuinely shocked me back then.

Nobody comments on the fact that the Switch can download an OS update, install it and reboot it quicker than any other gadget I've ever owned (less than a minute a lot of the time). The contract from the WiiU can't be understated.

Except for the controller, everyone agrees that the Switch is a better console than the Wii U.
By the way, my new PC is better than my old one.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I'm really not sure what this thread is about. The Wii U was discontinued years ago. The OP even seems to acknowledge this, and yet he still wrote the rest of his post. Why would Nintendo try to give people reasons to own a console they no longer sell?

Did the PS4 kill off the PS3? Duh. Of course it did.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I still have the better controlling mario maker 1 so EH.

also new 2d mario wii u is fucked on the switch port.

Xenoblade chronicles X

windwaker & twilight princess.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This is a bad time to want a Switch. I'm just waiting in limbo for a Switch Pro announcement. Or at the least, a leak that let's me know it's not substantial enough an upgrade to wait.

I need an escape with Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong like you wouldn't believe. Might just plunge on the regular Switch.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
In that case PS3 has the 2nd best library of all time. PC is first.
It very well could. But not every PS3 is as capable as others. I specifically have 2 original fat PS3's in case I ever want to bust them out to play every PlayStation up to that point. To be dismissive of BC would be underselling the value of any system, problem is, Sony only saw fit to include that capability into specific models, which I presume are getting more difficult to get as time goes by. EVERY Wii U can do BC up to and including the Wii U's library minus 3DS games.

HF2014

Absolutely. I enjoyed Crafted World, but the music didn't have any of the charm of the early Yoshi games, and I've heard Woolly World is much better in that regard. Plus, it's been a few years since Crafted World released, so there's no reason to worry about cannibalizing that game's sales.

Probably my second most wanted remaining Wii U port, after Xenoblade X (obviously).

I liked Crafted World, but not as much as Woolly. I got it on 3DS cause i dont have a Wii U anymore, but its still a lower rez version of the beautiful Wolly environnement of the Wii U version. If you never played it you are in for a ride, its my fav Yoshi game!

mcjmetroid

Question is... What are they going to do when they release a Switch 2 and it's backward compatible?

Release new games only? Lol?

Kdad

Why would anyone go out and buy a Wii U? It's a great thing that they are porting these games over. Saleswise, the Wii U wasn't great, but gameswise, it was one of the best systems, contrary to what many try to suggest. The Switch would be much worse off in terms of games if not for all the Wii U ports.
I'm buying my first Nintendo and it's a Wii U LNIB...I like playing on original systems 😃

Top Bottom