• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Wii U games have been ported to Switch, 67% of Wii U games rated 85+ on MC. RIP.

With Fatal Frame coming to Switch (and others) the Wii U loses yet another reason to own one. But now we are at 50, yes, 50 Wii U ports to Switch, and I don't think that includes indies so it's likely higher, but for major releases the Wii U has lost 67% apparently of it's library scored above 85 on Metacritic.

This is worse than the Dreamcast, Nintendo had effectively shot the Wii U and is stomping on its corpse for fun.

At this point there's nearly no reason to own a Wii U and Nintendo has pushed it out of the conversation so much, it's already for many people a forgotten system, and it's only been 5 years since it was discontinued, and 3 since most games were taken out the majority of stores.

For those who brought a Wii U day 1 or later, are you pissed off? Did you get angry knowing you made a mistake buying a Wii U?

NeilH1982

Banned
At the time i still had plenty fun with the Wii-U. Played many hours of Mario 3D world, Mario Kart and NintendoLand with the kids. Asymetric gaming really helped them with New Super Mario Bros U. It was a shit console but the quality of the software was amazingly high. So high that almost everybody who made the leap from the Wii U to the switch gladly rebought those ports, each and every one

Quasicat

I use mine for playing Wind Waker HD and my GameCube and Wii games with an HDMI, since my TV only has HDMI ports. I just played Skies of Arcadia Legends last evening using a WiiU Pro controller and it still holds up nicely.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I double dipped, got one one launch day, sold it probably 18 months later. Got another one last last year.

Wii U is awesome. Yes, most of the great games are available on other platforms but it's still an awesome system. Especially for soft modding.

Biggest game that is still only available on Wii U: Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Bottom line, people love to dog pile the Wii U but most of the people saying this likely have never played it, the sales figures back this up.

I personally don't give a shit if all the Wii U games go to the Switch. The Wii U feels better to hold for me and I just prefer it infinitely over the Switch. The games I have for the Wii U will always be there.

sublimit

Banned
Let's wait and see how it turns out, but I suspect that this will be an inferior version due to the lack of TV + Gamepad gameplay.
The use of the Gamepad fitted the design of the game (the use of camera) perfectly. I suspect this will be another case of Zombie U where the use of the Gamepad made the WiiU version the best one by far.

But it's better than nothing for those who never had a WiiU or can't find one.At least now more people will play it.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hopefully Devils Third comes to the switch
99% of people have zero clue that Devil's Third is actually a really fun action game with a nice campy story.

Sure it has issues but it's $30 on the eShop and totally worth the price IMO. I'd honestly hate to see it ported over because people would just shit all over it again. Let them collect shells on the Switch.

Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

8bitpill

Gold Member
They really dropped the bomb on porting a HD version of the Twilight Prinecess on Wii U. I actually was going to pick up the Wii U just for that title. At that point I knew the Switch was coming out and was like "It will be able to handle Wii U games, since that system was basically a "gap filler" between the Wii and Switch :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

giphy.gif

Switch to me has been a port machine as I am not going to rebuy Zelda and other games I have already on the Wii u. Wish Nintendo would allow some type of backwards compatibility option.

Unknown?

With Fatal Frame coming to Switch (and others) the Wii U loses yet another reason to own one. But now we are at 50, yes, 50 Wii U ports to Switch, and I don't think that includes indies so it's likely higher, but for major releases the Wii U has lost 67% apparently of it's library scored above 85 on Metacritic.

This is worse than the Dreamcast, Nintendo had effectively shot the Wii U and is stomping on its corpse for fun.

At this point there's nearly no reason to own a Wii U and Nintendo has pushed it out of the conversation so much, it's already for many people a forgotten system, and it's only been 5 years since it was discontinued, and 3 since most games were taken out the majority of stores.

For those who brought a Wii U day 1 or later, are you pissed off? Did you get angry knowing you made a mistake buying a Wii U?
What I'm wondering is how will Nintendo do once they don't have ports left(which is running out quickly) and they have pretty big droughts.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes, this is why it's dead.

Not because, it was already dead.

The Wii-U was one of the biggest flops in console history; they actually had to halt production and buy back stock of hardware form their initial shipment, to not piss off their retail/wholesale partners. An utter disaster.

Last edited:
Nintendo sold 14 million Wii Us. There're more than 85 million Nintendo Switch consoles. Majority of those ported games are great.

Nintendo would have been stupid if they didn't rerelease those games.

SegaShack

Why would I be pissed? I still own a Wii U and can play its games. Am I supposed to be mad others without a Wii U can play them too?

They are great games, the more people that can play them the better.

You can buy a Virtual Boy or 3DO if you want all the gamer street cred for owning obscure unported games.

Last edited:

royox

The Wii U was a bomb. Why be upset that more people get to play these games?

Cause For the idiots like me that got a WiiU and their must have games Nintendo is releasing "hd editions" of all the games they already have on switch instead of new games...AND FOR FULL PRICE.

No new mario kart since 2014. And if you want to play MK8 online on switch its still at full price. It's insulting.

I new games not the ones I already have.

Last edited:
Nintendo sold 14 million Wii Us.
Less actually. Iirc

Yes, this is why it's dead.

Not because, it was already dead.

The Wii-U was one of the biggest flops in console history; they actually had to halt production and buy back stock of hardware form their initial shipment, to not piss off their retail/wholesale partners. An utter disaster.
Yep like the Gamecube.

Good luck porting star fox zero fuckers
Problem is, most people want ports of good games.

You shouldn't be angry about them porting their games out of that failure, what you should be angry about is the fucking pricing of said ports at 60$ with no hope for a discount of more than 10$!

BOTW is 4+ years old and is STILL priced at 60$ and at the lowest like the e-shop sale going on right now 49.94!

NahaNago

I think all that's left is Devil's third.

Next up will be wii games hopefully since I would like the last story to come to switch.

I really hope the next switch has a clamshell design so they can port all of the ds and 3ds games to it since it has tons of jrpgs I want to play.

Last edited:
Cause For the idiots like me that got a WiiU and their must have games Nintendo is releasing "hd editions" of all the games they already have on switch instead of new games...AND FOR FULL PRICE.

No new mario kart since 2014. And if you want to play MK8 online on switch its still at full price. It's insulting.

I new games not the ones I already have.

That’s petty. The Wii U userbase was so small. It would be dumb not to port games over to the Switch.

royox

That’s petty. The Wii U userbase was so small. It would be dumb not to port games over to the Switch.

Here are all the fucks I give about the "new switch players that never got a WiiU" ->[ ]<-

I understand it from a company pov. That doesn't mean I don't feel like a 2nd grade user that means shit to Nintendo cause people runs in mass to buy any Nintendo port day 1 full price, to the point that they put 3 almost unchanged roms and they got sold out lol.

Here are all the fucks I give about the "new switch players that never got a WiiU" ->[ ]<-

I understand it from a company pov. That doesn't mean I don't feel like a 2nd grade user that means shit to Nintendo cause people runs in mass to buy any Nintendo port day 1 full price, to the point that they put 3 almost unchanged roms and they got sold out lol.

It sold under 15 million units. That’s a pathetic number. I see no reason to not charge full price for a game that a sliver of people played.

Fbh

Why would I be upset about that? Ideally I want the new console from a company to have all the games from the previous console of the same company.
This is like being upset about Ps5 and Series X being backwards compatible because "it makes owning a Ps4/X1 less appealing".

The only thing that I'm upset about is that since I got a Switch Nintendo has consistently used these overpriced ports as an excuse to release less new games.
Every other direct is like "well we don't really have much for the next six months.... but here's some more Smash DLC and a $60 port of a 5 years old game!"

And yeas I did have a WiiU. Horrible console but nice games (I still think it has a better list of original games than the Switch)

Last edited:

LRKD

I own both, I don't care that the Switch is getting Wii U ports. I do however care that the Switch gets no fucking new games. It's port after port, how is it that Nintendo was able to put out so many great new games for the Wii U, but on the switch they struggle to put out a single new game a year?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No because a lot of the Wii games should be cheap as chips and Wii-u games also. So if you want a cheap console it’s a no brainer

Trimesh

Banned

No. I had fun with the system and it had (and has) some great games - but objectively it was a commercial failure. Nintendo are a company, and at some point they had to cut their losses and admit they had a bomb on their hands. I can't get upset about Nintendo porting the games to the much more successful Switch - it gives more people a chance to play them. If I have any regrets, it's that the machine didn't stay on the market for long enough to really explore the potential of the gamepad.

Why would anyone go out and buy a Wii U? It's a great thing that they are porting these games over. Saleswise, the Wii U wasn't great, but gameswise, it was one of the best systems, contrary to what many try to suggest. The Switch would be much worse off in terms of games if not for all the Wii U ports.
It is probably the easiest way to natively play GC (after modding) and Wii games with decent video quality. Not a bad deal if you are a collector. But sure, there is no pointing in picking one if you are only looking into play WiiU games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom