• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50.55 million Xbox One unit have been sold worldwide as of February 2022. (Only relevant data that we have now)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Once 2023 hits, the studio investments will start bearing fruit. Starting with Starfield we'll start seeing 1 to 2 AAA titles per quarter.
Agreed. The quality will be high for Microsoft's first party studios which as of now, is an 88.5 on OC and includes Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator, Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite. In just 15 months, already a massive improvement in quality compared to the Xbox One generation in the same time frame. And the generation is only going to get better.

leo-j

I think it's unfair to blame one generation too much.

Wii U failed, but didn't Nintendo Switch succeed? They just broke the record of fastest 100 million units with Nintendo Switch.
PS3 failed, but didn't PS4 succeed? They are almost at 120 million units sold. Now PS5 is pacing to likely beating that record as well.
I mean ps3 sold more than xbox 360, I would not consider that a failure. Maybe to Sony’s standards.

I mean ps3 sold more than xbox 360, I would not consider that a failure. Maybe to Sony’s standards.
Sell a lot doesn't matter if 1: it was less than the predecessor and 2: it was only alive by burning money the whole gen.

PS3 LOST MONEY for Sony. That is bad in Sony's book.

Now to be fair, Xbox as a whole lost money for Microsoft basically its entire life. But Xbox fans all admit they like the fact that Xbox is a money pit and that Microsoft will pay for it. Hence all the talk about infinite warchest and acquisitions. So the standards are different from the other side.

Sony actually want their console to be financially successful.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
I don't know which is worse, Sony's announcement of the PS3 in 2006 or Microsoft's announcement of the Xbox One in 2013. Granted I still loved the PS3, but the Xbox One was in fairly rough shape until the release of the One X.

MrFunSocks

Banned
He was fired or mutually got kicked out of the company, after that E3 disaster.
That was what led to this disaster, not to mention the lack of 1st party studios, which he should have heavily focused on. This left a huge gap for xbox, which got them the lable of no games console.
It’s funny how so many “gaming enthusiasts” like yourself don’t even remember that their E3 was goddamn amazing that year, literally just wall to wall games as you guys say you want.

The console was unveiled in a separate event weeks/months before E3, and that’s the one the backlash was for.

It’s crazy how ahead of the curve they were back then. All the whinging about people needing to take their games to their friends houses and to trade them in, yet here we are with 80%+ of all game sales being digital with literally no resale or trade value lol. As someone that loves the industry and tech world moving forward it was super disappointing to see their plans get killed because of people that couldn’t even think 5 years ahead and thought that digital libraries were not what people wanted. Now we all have digital libraries but have none of the benefits that MS’s solution offered like digital games at retail prices with retail competition, and digital library sharing like steams family sharing.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I was so amazing, that it almost destroyed the entire xbox brand.
Did you even read my post? Clearly not.

Their E3 didn’t almost destroy the brand because the console unveiling that did was like a month earlier…..

You’re exactly the type of person I’m talking about.

kingfey

Banned
Did you even read my post? Clearly not.

Their E3 didn’t almost destroy the brand because the console unveiling that did was like a month earlier…..

You’re exactly the type of person I’m talking about.
The e3 killed them, because It showed what they thought of xbox. TV TV TV. They didnt think their console as a gaming console.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The e3 killed them, because It showed what they thought of xbox. TV TV TV. They didnt think their console as a gaming console.
Again though - you clearly have no idea what actually happened, and this is the second time I've had to direct you to actually read what I've written.

The Xbox One unveiling was NOT AT E3. It was it's own standalone event a month before E3. That was the infamous "TV TV TV TV" and "Always online" event.

E3 was quite literally just "GAMES GAMES GAMES!".

I can only assume you are, as always, arguing in bad faith here.

EDMIX

He was the president of the Entertainment business unit which overlooked the Xbox division, the decisions which directly led XBO to have the terrible launch (forced kinect, higher price, primary focus on tv shit) all went through him.

Doesn't matter if he left before the console came out in this case. He left his stank through that generation.

nah bud, you can blame him on how it launched, but MS internally continued to make many bad choices throughout that whole generation.

Sounds like it was pretty successful then, despite the poor commercial start.
It stayed at less than 50% sales of PS4, as all signs predicted. And nothing narrowed that. I guess you can call "meeting expectations of failure" a success?

Note that it sold much less than Xbox 360. But if you are happy with that then good on you.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sounds like it was pretty successful then, despite the poor commercial start.
Considering Xbox 360 sold 84 million units, that's a 40% decline. I don't think anyone can call it "pretty successful" if your division shrinks by 40%.

nush

Gold Member
Considering Xbox 360 sold 84 million units, that's a 40% decline. I don't think anyone can call it "pretty successful" if your division shrinks by 40%.

They held the line until this gen which currently looks like it's theirs to win if chip shortages continue. It's not a Wii U level failure and look where Nintendo are now.

Louay

Yes, they had fewer studios and they fixed that by shutting down Lionhead, cancelling scalebound and spending $3.5 billion on minecraft? What?

Don had Insomniac and Respawn make them exclusives. They couldve functioned as second party for MS. Hell, he couldve bought them for pennies compared to what he spent on Minecraft. Both Insomniac and Respawn sold for around $300 million 7 years later. They couldve been had for far cheaper.
Minecraft investment was very good deal a steal any company would love to have it. but this move isn't for Xbox it was for MS. Xbox division was not backed by MS from 2013 to 2016. why do you think they shutdown lionhead and canceled fable legends despite the game being ready to launch ? lack of budget. MS told Phil to choose between them and Rare.

new Xbox was born in 2017/2018 and shocked the world with the fabled Warchest this is an era of MS Gaming as main piliar of it's business not side business for windows.

Last edited:

Louay

Mattrick was a jerk, snob, and messed up a lot of things. But he did at least make sure XBO had exclusive new games on Day 1, including genuine showcases like Ryse (which STILL looks great today even on a base XBO).

What did Phil Spencer do to that degree? Apparently, Falconeer was enough in his opinion (no slight against the game, but it's not anywhere near the level of a Ryse, Dead Rising 4, or Killer Instinct).

If there's one criticism that can be fairly levied at Spencer, it's WRT lack of any genuine 1P exclusives at launch for Series, or even through 2021 (not counting crossgen titles). For perspective their first next-gen only, non crossgen exclusive (not a 1P game, tho) was Crossfire X.

...yeah :/...
Phil and xbox team dropped the ball for first two years, without Bethesda they got nothing for 2022. not a single game from XGS this year so far.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Don Matrick literally left six months before the console even came out lol. Let's not blame everything on him.
Let's do for sure. He did the launch marketing with focus on TV, was responsible for the obligatory Kinect (so $100 more just because), and basically said "if you don't have internet, use an Xbox 360"

He's was an asshole

Can't enter Statista to see the report properly and to reach which is their source, but I see their numbers perfectly match the current VG Chartz 'estimation':

As we know VG Chartz numbers are fake and wrong, they are only fan guesstimations. As I remember XBO did pass 50M while ago, I remember that we got a couple of estimations from credible people many time ago (can't remember who) who were above that, closer to 60M.

If we get the same source than (apparently) the OP and Statista, which is the VGChartz estimation for February I linked above, it would be:
  • PS5 Worldwide 116.88M (vs XBO 50.55M)
  • PS5 North America 38.59M (vs XBO 32.45M)
  • PS5 Europe 48.74M (vs XBO 12.47M)
  • PS5 Japan 9.39M (vs XBO 0.12M)
  • PS5 Rest of the world 20.16M (vs XBO 5.51M)
But again, VGCharz numbers are fake. According to Sony they had 116.9M shipped back in December, not in February (shipped units don't need 2 months to be sold, and PS4 is also supply constrained so many of the shipped ones must be sold faster than in a normal scenario).

VG Chartz only has access to the same public worldwide numbers we get from Sony and the public sales numbers from some countries like Japan, so their numbers for the rest of the world are made up.
So, excuse me if i am reading it wrong, but i did not know that the PS5 already sold 116,88 million consoles🙄
Perhaps you can edit that and make it the PS4?
Thank you very much...

Louay

To me he is miles better than Spencer. People who blame him really thing that he is the only one who take the critical decisions? Phil should be blamed as much as Mattrick.

That being said, quite a drop compared with X360 (amazing console with a ton of exclusives). Yet better than I thought.
X360 best years was with Peter Moore, when Don took the lead in 2008/2009
Kinect took over which huge success i will give him that but home console games took a hit in quality and quantity.

Don ideas were not bad at all like family sharing games but they way he delivered ideas and forced some of it what give him the boot.

Louay

I don't know which is worse, Sony's announcement of the PS3 in 2006 or Microsoft's announcement of the Xbox One in 2013. Granted I still loved the PS3, but the Xbox One was in fairly rough shape until the release of the One X.
I think xbox one was worse, no body had any social media back in 2006. the news was spreading faster and it's not just price other silly comment and TV TV TV. pretty was more damaging for the brand.

Playstation brand is massive. The name alone saved them from an even bigger disaster. I still have my fat PS3 somewhere upstairs.
The "name" is just the reputation that Sony would keep supporting the console by making games for it. A reputation that was earned in the PS3 era by burning money with complete disregard for profitability. Reputations don't come out of thin air; it is earned for better or worse.

In the mean time, Sony had to let Vita die because they couldn't afford to keep TWO separate systems supplied with 1st party games simultaneously. So a heavy price was paid.

nordique

Don Matrick literally left six months before the console even came out lol. Let's not blame everything on him.

The damage was done

I def went all in on ps4. Many, many others did too

Who in their right mind would pay more for a weaker, larger system after that e3 showing?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
TV TV TV was month earlier, but that don't really matter. XBox One was already dead before E3.
That was the start of the madness. Then we saw the effects of the lack of studios, which left huge gap in 1st party games output.
If they tuned down those TV talk, and made some 3rd party partnership, That press conference wouldnt have had that much big impact.
They had great relationship with bethesda and cdpr,. They could have made the Witcher 3 exclusive to xbox, considering Witcher 2 was xbox exclusive. They could have had bioware on their studios, before EA buying them.
Sadly the managements were all on that tv models.

Leyasu

Banned
The "name" is just the reputation that Sony would keep supporting the console by making games for it. A reputation that was earned in the PS3 era by burning money with complete disregard for profitability. Reputations don't come out of thin air; it is earned for better or worse.

In the mean time, Sony had to let Vita die because they couldn't afford to keep TWO separate systems supplied with 1st party games simultaneously. So a heavy price was paid.
We were talking about the ps3

Yeah, it definitely still underperformed relative to other Xbox consoles. I’m just surprised it even managed to get to 50M considering the initial perception, it sounds pretty high when you consider stuff like GameCube, SNES, N64 which all sold worse.
It outsold the original Xbox too. It is the second best selling Xbox console and did quite well against many Nintendo home systems minus Wii and Switch. Calling the X1 a failure is simple hyperbole.

Mabdia

X360 best years was with Peter Moore, when Don took the lead in 2008/2009
Kinect took over which huge success i will give him that but home console games took a hit in quality and quantity.

Don ideas were not bad at all like family sharing games but they way he delivered ideas and forced some of it what give him the boot.
Moore's era was almost perfection. A lot of good games, they invested had in japan games and RPGs. I almost get a 360 in 2009 because of that, instead of a PS3. That being said, Mettrick's time wasnt that bad. To me 2010 was when things get south. But it wasn't Mettrick's fault alone.

Yes, he was the head of Xbox Division, but no one leads alone.

XBO. PS3 in the end still managed to get near PS1 sales numbers, and it finished incredibly strong with games like Echochrome 2, TLOU, Uncharted 3, GT6, Puppeteer etc. They won back favoritism they had lost in the 2006 - 2010 period and then some.

Xbox One actually started stronger than people remember (it had more AAA exclusives at the start than PS4, for example, between games like Ryse and Dead Rising 4), but began to peter out around 2015 and by 2016 virtually all its main momentum was gone. It also finished quite weakly IMHO; GamePass was a nice feature to offer, but the heart of a system, new high-quality game exclusives, was at its worst for Xbox. Multiple high-profile projects getting cancelled along with hyped 1P releases turning out to be duds (Crackdown 3, ReCore etc.) did it no favors with more passionate gamers.

While it had an occasional good game like a Forza or Gears 5 come along, they were just too infrequent and weren't enough to really turn around perception for the brand.

Again though - you clearly have no idea what actually happened, and this is the second time I've had to direct you to actually read what I've written.

The Xbox One unveiling was NOT AT E3. It was it's own standalone event a month before E3. That was the infamous "TV TV TV TV" and "Always online" event.

E3 was quite literally just "GAMES GAMES GAMES!".

I can only assume you are, as always, arguing in bad faith here.

True, their E3 was about games. The issue was that most of those were either multiplat games like COD (which had a dubious showing centered around a dog) or the usual expected games like Forza Motorsport. There wasn't anything from that E3 which was a riveting new IP that was also exclusive, aside from Ryse (showing off the KI revival was a nice touch on top of that though).

Sony's E3 that year had a pretty good showing of games itself; combined with the better specifications and pricing, and Microsoft's out-of-position pricing right before that, and it's easy to see why people might look at Xbox's 2013 E3 as being overall mediocre even if some people are remembering it worst than it actually was.

Phil and xbox team dropped the ball for first two years, without Bethesda they got nothing for 2022. not a single game from XGS this year so far.

It's just a bit crazy to me that not only was STALKER 2 delayed until end of year (and now due to very real-world conflicts unfortunately unfolding, could compound upon that delay), but Crossfire X turned out to be such a dud, and that aside from Tunic I don't think there's any console or non-GamePass ecosystem exclusive until this Fall (if Redfall has been delayed to October, that would be the case).

More so than that, it's pretty disappointing that they have no smaller showcase events spread out throughout the year to provide consistent updates on the 1P games that are in development, some of which have been shown since 2019. There's no reason to not have done some type of showcase for Everwild at this point, to at least give fans confidence the game is in good shape beyond a few words from an insider leak.

It outsold the original Xbox too. It is the second best selling Xbox console and did quite well against many Nintendo home systems minus Wii and Switch. Calling the X1 a failure is simple hyperbole.

In terms of raw sales numbers, no, XBO was not a failure. But it's not just about raw unit sales numbers; it's also about division revenue, net profits, brand power and mindshare.

In those four areas, XBO could be argued a failure. They lost the UK market they were solidifying with the 360, and lost a metric ton of 3P royalties due to lowering 3P sales rates on their platform. The console's brand power weakened in its two biggest markets (US and especially UK), and both PlayStation and (a bit later on) Nintendo ate up the vast majority of positive mindshare through that generation, with Xbox being relegated mostly to negative mindshare related to memes making fun of the brand from 2016 up until late 2019 (when general mindshare started to trend positively again for the brand following the Series X reveal at the TGAs).

So yes, overall unit sales numbers are still important and always will be to some degree, but they aren't the most important things in determining if a console and its ecosystem are healthy. And it's the fact the XBO dropped the ball in the other, more important areas, why it actually could be argued a failure as a platform/console in general, in spite of the scattershot good things that came about from it. To compare it to previous Xbox consoles:

>OG Xbox (General Success)
-Raw Sales: No
-Division Revenue: No
-Net Profits: No
-Brand Power: Yes
-Positive Mindshare: Yes
**Established the brand and garnered a lot of positive mindshare for the brand that would carry over to 360. Innovated with hardware design
and online gaming, also carrying over to 360

>Xbox 360 (General Success)
-Raw Sales: Yes
-Division Revenue: Yes
-Net Profits: Yes/No (RROD ate into a big chunk of profits)
-Brand Power: Yes
-Positive Mindshare: Yes
**Took OG Xbox's innovations and solidified them, expanded upon them, and polished them. Aggressive push for quality content thanks to smartly engineered architecture and bettering 3P relationships. Capitalized on its main strengths. Arguably lost some momentum due to RROD and Kinect, but not enough to sully the very strong 2005 - 2010 period.

>Xbox One (General Failure)
-Raw Sales: Yes
-Division Revenue: Yes?
-Net Profits: No
-Brand Power: No
-Positive Mindshare: No
**Did not naturally capitalize on most of 360's improvements or advantages. Very bad early communication. Bad pricing for weaker-performant hardware compared to competition. Comparatively less efficient architecture & design. Massive reduction in sales & brand power within one of its two key markets (UK). Complete negation of all goodwill and growth in Japan and Asian markets from the 360. Declining 1P effort in AAA space in latter half of the generation.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

It's not their sole income source in gaming, but MS obviously still cares about consoles. If they did not you would have already heard about Flight Sim and Starfield launching on PS5, etc. No one leaves that much money on the table for no reason at all, and in this case the reason is desired console sales.
What your saying makes sense, but gamepass kinda works against that. If there no games exclusive to a platform, why buy that platform?

NickFire

What your saying makes sense, but gamepass kinda works against that. If there no games exclusive to a platform, why buy that platform?
I believe gamepass is a red herring argument when discussing if MS cares about console sales. If protecting gamepass as a platform was the reason to make Starfield exclusive, they would not sell Starfield on Xbox either. It would become gamepass only instead.

Roxkis_ii

I believe gamepass is a red herring argument when discussing if MS cares about console sales. If protecting gamepass as a platform was the reason to make Starfield exclusive, they would not sell Starfield on Xbox either. It would become gamepass only instead.
But you can't ignore that gamepass devalues the platform. If starfield was Xbox only, wouldn't that encourage more people to buy a Xbox?

I understand that MS views pc as part of their grand platform of console, cloud, and pc, but if I was just an Xbox console gamer, I wouldn't feel like the future is bright for the Xbox console. Seems like Microsoft would end up making the Xbox a thin client once cloud gaming takes off (if it ever does).

NickFire

But you can't ignore that gamepass devalues the platform. If starfield was Xbox only, wouldn't that encourage more people to buy a Xbox?

I understand that MS views pc as part of their grand platform of console, cloud, and pc, but if I was just an Xbox console gamer, I wouldn't feel like the future is bright for the Xbox console. Seems like Microsoft would end up making the Xbox a thin client once cloud gaming takes off (if it ever does).
I'm not ignoring that it can devalue a platform at all. Not sure why you think I am. I'm literally just saying that MS still cares about console sales too.

dcmk7

Banned
It lost like 50% of its previous consoles' market share.

To not call it a failure is simply delusional.

MrFunSocks

Banned
True, their E3 was about games. The issue was that most of those were either multiplat games like COD (which had a dubious showing centered around a dog) or the usual expected games like Forza Motorsport. There wasn't anything from that E3 which was a riveting new IP that was also exclusive, aside from Ryse (showing off the KI revival was a nice touch on top of that though).
No, there was no issue with the games. Their E3 was better than Sonys. The damage was done a month earlier at the unveiling.

No, there was no issue with the games. Their E3 was better than Sonys. The damage was done a month earlier at the unveiling.

Agreed that the damage was pretty much done with the May presentation. However, saying Xbox's E3 that year was better than Sony's is very subjective and would come down to how much you preferred the exclusives.

Just skimming through Sony's 2013 presentation they had some strong games there too like GT6, Killzone (was really impressive visually), and the first showing of Destiny gameplay. Outside of the games though, Sony's presentation was easily the better of the two; I remember the 8 GB GDDR6 announcement was a mic drop moment myself considering all the rumors were pointing to only 4 GB prior to that.

And then there was the price announcement which echoed their pricing announcement at the 1995 E3 show following the Saturn's presentation, and that elevated their 2013 conference for a lot of people in terms of hype and seeing it as stronger as a whole.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Outside of the games though, Sony's presentation was easily the better of the two;
People wanted GAMESGAMESGAMESGAMESGAMES and that's what they got with microsoft. Literally just start to finish games. It's a bit unfair to then say sonys was better "outside of the games" when the exact thing that people wanted was games.

People wanted GAMESGAMESGAMESGAMESGAMES and that's what they got with microsoft. Literally just start to finish games. It's a bit unfair to then say sonys was better "outside of the games" when the exact thing that people wanted was games.

I'm saying that Sony's E3 that year was better because even though Microsoft did bring the games, Sony also brought a lot of games to show off, and also confirmed better specs & better pricing. Things that are expected at big E3 conferences before a new console launch in addition to showing off games.

There's also the fact that Sony had their earlier presentation that February that confirmed specs suggesting their system was notably more powerful (at least IIRC), and served as the first official demonstration of a graphical showcase for that generation. Microsoft's "response" to that was the May presentation, which completely missed the point in being a suitable follow-up to what gamers were wanting.

Microsoft's 2013 E3 was pretty good. It just wasn't good enough to swing momentum from Sony and some closing confirmations for PS4 that same E3 more or less snuffed out whatever momentum Microsoft recovered with their E3 showcase 🤷‍♂️

MrFunSocks

Banned
Microsoft's "response" to that was the May presentation, which completely missed the point in being a suitable follow-up to what gamers were wanting.
Yet as it turns out now, and as some of us were saying back then, it is exactly what people would be wanting in the future. Before the end of the generation gamers were overwhelmingly buying digital over physical, only thanks to their initial "concerns" and all the FUD that was spread at the time, they then lost all of the benefits that the initial Xbox One plans would have given them.

Microsoft were giving gamers what they wanted, the gamers just didn't realise it yet because time and time again "GaMeRz" have proven to be a pretty dumb and reactionary bunch.

Microsoft's 2013 E3 was pretty good. It just wasn't good enough to swing momentum from Sony
That's fine, but that's not what was being discussed and argued. The person I was trying to have a discussion with, in vain, was adamant that the Xbox One was unveiled at E3 and their entire E3 was TVTVTVTV.

It was such a bad console that, as a Xbox fanboy at the time, I didn't even get it. I jumped straight to PS4 and never gave the Xbox One a chance.

Top Bottom