• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4th Annual Steam GAF GOTY Thread | Relax, Overwatch Is Not On Steam

Yeah, thanks jshackles. These top tens are always interesting, particularly with the experimental DLC/EA categories.

I'm really floored by all of the Doom love. Never would've expected so much over it, although I admit I haven't played it myself.

This year was... too good?!

:(
I'm not sure why you're sad. SteamGAF has a wide variety of tastes. So in a year with prime stealth, shooter, RPG, puzzle, city/coaster builder, space sim, visual novel, rogue like, CCGs, fighters, and meta games, the chance of being into all genres is very slim.

Overall, as others have mentioned, the top 10 is bound to be saturated by hyped up AAA games. More people played = more people put on their GOTY, especially since the games were generally of good quality.

The indie darlings of the year are Stardew Valley and The Witness. Wonder which one will take the top spot in the regular GoTY?

I think that the top 20 is probably the best way to look at this list. There is a 3 way tie for 20, so I guess maybe top 23 is probably a good way to look at the list. 2 of the games I voted for are 20th best game on SteamGAF.

Yup. Top 20 is pretty legit and will be totally different with the upcoming GAF GOTY result.

MRORANGE

A big thanks to Jshackles for doing all of this, considering I did the 3013 gory I know how much time is n needed to compile this list and the work that goes behind it.

Thanks again Jshackles for your dedication.

Durante

Nice list, especially if you look at the entire top 20 rather than just the top 10. I'm sure Momodora could have made it into the latter if more people played it.

Happy to see I wasn't the only one to vote for Raw Data.

Parsnip

Hitman, Xanadu and Momodora were robbed.

It's nice top 10, but an even better top 20.

The year was too good with non-AAA games so the votes had a wider spread.

Tizoc

hEH ONLY 6-7 points and Xanandu would've been in top 10.

Gonna grab XCOM 2 later this week. I hadn't started XCOM 1 but hey for $12 at least, I'ma get it.

JarrodL

I just now realize I could have voted for The White March P.II and Shen's Gift on the DLC list, but I completely forgot that I also played them this year. Oh well.

Ascheroth

11-20 is where it's at.
Where 1-10 feels like the mainstream list, 11-20 are the lesser-known gems everyone and their grandmother should play.
But on the bright side, House in Fata Morgana has the highest APS (4.71) out of any game on the list.

Mugen08

Dammit, I was not aware there was a Steam community thread and I play almost exclusively on PC. Should have cast my votes there. Nm, quite good outcome. My vote in the overall goty-thread placed The Witness on #1, Quadrilateral Cowboy #2 and Inside on #3. Lots of games I haven't played as usual, happy to see Factorio high up among EA-games. I'll be there to vote next year. =)

Arminsc

I think it is a great top 10!

So many interesting games on that top 20 that I could not play due to backlog, I'll have to catch up.

Also, I find strange that Total Warhammer is 34 and not higher, I guess the fact that never went too low in price is a big factor there.

AHA-Lambda

Now that's a pretty good list :)
Certainly once we move out into the top 20 and see some rather unexpected results :eek:
Didn't expect DOOM to dominate as it did either!

Well done to jshackles again :)

Momodora was robbed!

Thank you for all the wor you put on the list. I kind of expected that top 10, and I'm happy many people voted on Stardew Valley.

gngf123

That's such an incredibly safe top 10, damn.

Top 20 is much more interesting. Good job everyone who voted for Xanadu Next, Momodora, Pony Island or Va-11 Hall-A.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dammit, I was not aware there was a Steam community thread and I play almost exclusively on PC. Should have cast my votes there. Nm, quite good outcome. My vote in the overall goty-thread placed The Witness on #1, Quadrilateral Cowboy #2 and Inside on #3. Lots of games I haven't played as usual, happy to see Factorio high up among EA-games. I'll be there to vote next year. =)

We're a generally friendly bunch so you should stop by sometime and say hello!

Grief.exe

My thoughts are that 1. Civ 6 is still prohibitively expensive for most people on Steam and 2. A lot of people aren't *that* into the genre and are perfectly happy with Civ5+DLC. I'll admit I was surprised to see Civ 6 SO low on the list but, it makes sense.

It's prohibitively expensive, yet Civ VI has more than double the sales of Stellaris.

I'm not advocating for one over the other by any means, but I would assume that Civ VI would supersede Stellaris on this list by saturation alone.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Great work by jshackles. Thanks for doing this. 11-20 is a really interesting list this year. Lots of wonderful games represented all over the list.

Top Bottom