• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K is overrated compared to 1440p.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Never ever seen smearing on my 900e Sony Tv. Maybe on monitors ips is preferred, couldn't say as I've been using TV's for PC gaming for years. Hardware unboxed recommends many va type monitors though.

Nothing can fix ips contrast, not even many local dimming zones. Lg nano cell with near 2000 zones looks like complete garbage, super cloudy and grey blacks.
It comes down to a lot of personal preference as there is no clear winner in this field as of yet, hopefully that will be micro led

Personally very thrilled with my QN90A (VA panel) and while the picture is amazing on my 77" C9 the conditions have to be ideal (FOR MY TASTES) as OLEDs just are not bright enough yet

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You like dim displays?
what dim displays? stop trolling. 800 nits hdr in uncharted 4 exiting a cave is engraving the image in my fucking eyes. if anything, it is too bright.
It's plenty bright during the day but ANY display is supposed to be viewed at during the night/shades.
I actually hope oleds do not get any brighter.
Monitors I've always used at 100nits(reference fr sdr). Oled is only brighter in any condition.

0mExTDr.jpg

vVebE3Z.jpg

iF5xj0W.jpg

Mister Wolf

what dim displays? stop trolling. 800 nits hdr in uncharted 4 exiting a cave is engraving the image in my fucking eyes. if anything, it is too bright.
It's plenty bright during the day but ANY display is supposed to be viewed at during the night/shades.
Monitors I've always used at 100nits(reference fr sdr). Oled is only brighter in any condition.

0mExTDr.jpg

vVebE3Z.jpg

iF5xj0W.jpg

Looking pretty dim Rofif. I might have to send you a NEO QLED so you can see the "light".

PaintTinJr

I am not arguing for ips lol. Fuck all that lcd crap ayway.
I got OLED for a reason!
OLED definitely provides excellent value for money, but if you ever get a chance to try a Z9 series Sony(65" and above, although their new FALD gaming monitors might be equally as good) and then had the budget or plan to amortise the cost over many years use, I think you'd be happier with one of those, Instead. But might still concluded at 4x or 8x times the cost of a mid-range OLED, the OLED was more than good enough.

Last edited:
if you ever get a chance to try a Z9 series Sony(65" and above, although their new FALD gaming monitors might be equally as good) and then had the budget or plan to amortise the cost over many years use, I think you'd be happier with one of those, Instead.
8K lcd is still lcd. inferior tech.

8k oled or micro LED is the only way forward.

mrqs

Having a higher nit count doesn't mean the whole image is brighter, not if the panel is good.

That means that, if you're staring at the sun, just the sun area will reach peak brightness. If a panel has good local brightness, they won't overbrighten the whole image.

If we have 10k nits panels, which is already happening, this doesn't mean the whole image will be 10k nits. It means that, if the HDR is done properly and the panel is good, only the most extreme highlights will reach that nit count.

I mean, real life has thousands and thousands of nits, the problem is that you'll be looking at a beach on a room that's not a sunny beach.

PaintTinJr

8K lcd is still lcd. inferior tech.

8k oled or micro LED is the only way forward.
The newest Z9 is mini-LED and if the contrast on my old Z9D is good enough to almost match my friend's LG OLED in contrast, but is still massively brighter and clearer and with worlds apart DSP, then the newest J model with 20x the zones in each direction will be in another viewing dimension at that peak brightness - even without the XR per frame AI upscaling DSP IMO..

It comes down to a lot of personal preference as there is no clear winner in this field as of yet, hopefully that will be micro led

Personally very thrilled with my QN90A (VA panel) and while the picture is amazing on my 77" C9 the conditions have to be ideal (FOR MY TASTES) as OLEDs just are not bright enough yet
There are clear winners though, in certain areas.

VA LCD wins for Brightness, motion smoothness without interpolation, input lag when using black frame insertion; it causes a half frame hit on OLED because there's no backlight to implement.

On lg woled, near black is worse than VA lcd i.e. near black flash on compressed films. If you ever want to see this in all its non glory watch a black and white film like phantom of the opera.

On qd OLED this shouldn't be a problem. Both qd OLED and woled obviously, easily spank VA LCD in contrast. But qd OLED has the same inherent weaknesses and strengths as any self emissive display.

Micro led / Samsung qned (the latter will come first and may get rid of the need for micro led at all) will solve the brightness problem of OLED but still handle low fps motion worse than lcd, which we need a solution for better motion in general soon.

Honestly Mister Wolf Mister Wolf OLED is plenty bright in a dark room, but it's not when you add black frame insertion. Heck it's even bright enough for a medium lit room if you don't have lights directly behind it, for reflections. With no bfi the hdr I saw on c1 was easily more impactful than my x900e, but for both of those displays I want them much brighter so the hdr still pops when using bfi.

Mister Wolf

Having a higher nit count doesn't mean the whole image is brighter, not if the panel is good.

That means that, if you're staring at the sun, just the sun area will reach peak brightness. If a panel has good local brightness, they won't overbrighten the whole image.

If we have 10k nits panels, which is already happening, this doesn't mean the whole image will be 10k nits. It means that, if the HDR is done properly and the panel is good, only the most extreme highlights will reach that nit count.

I mean, real life has thousands and thousands of nits, the problem is that you'll be looking at a beach on a room that's not a sunny beach.

thank-you.gif

0mExTDr.jpg

vVebE3Z.jpg

iF5xj0W.jpg
I wish I could see that 48" in person. I was going to get one but they sold out, now I have to get the 55". But I did try the 48" Sony A9S and that OLED specifically was pretty dim (more dense pixels = less light getting throug), I wonder if that affects the 48" c1?

Eh, just trying to rationalize getting the 55", so I hope the smaller one is dim like the A9S lol

vpance

Maybe on monitors ips is preferred, couldn't say as I've been using TV's for PC gaming for years

That seems to be the case from what I found, researching a bunch before buying a monitor a few weeks ago. TV panels are an entirely different ball game especially when you add quality FALDs to the equation. If I want to game I'll stick to my VA 65".

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

It's not real life.
I know the goal of the TV is to be like looking outside the window and even a flower on the ground is 4k nits. I KNOW.
But I don't want that daylight window on my desk in the middle of the night. It's bright enough and HDR is amazing

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wish I could see that 48" in person. I was going to get one but they sold out, now I have to get the 55". But I did try the 48" Sony A9S and that OLED specifically was pretty dim (more dense pixels = less light getting throug), I wonder if that affects the 48" c1?

Eh, just trying to rationalize getting the 55", so I hope the smaller one is dim like the A9S lol
The dimming is something you will never notice in reality.
It is only possible to observe in HDR when opening white window and then making it full screen.
Playing HDR game never requires max brightness from all elements.
It can sometimes engage annoying ABSL during watching a movie if a scene dont change for long. But never in a game

mrqs

It's not real life.
I know the goal of the TV is to be like looking outside the window and even a flower on the ground is 4k nits. I KNOW.
But I don't want that daylight window on my desk in the middle of the night. It's bright enough and HDR is amazing
That's why you calibrate your panel to use in a bright room or dark room.

The newest Z9 is mini-LED and if the contrast on my old Z9D is good enough to almost match my friend's LG OLED in contrast, but is still massively brighter and clearer and with worlds apart DSP, then the newest J model with 20x the zones in each direction will be in another viewing dimension at that peak brightness - even without the XR per frame AI upscaling DSP IMO..
mini-LED is and microLED are entirely different.

mini-LED = LCD (trash) + LEDs for backlighting
microLED = the individual pixels are made up of tiny LEDs.

microLED can turn off individual pixels for perfect blacks (like OLED), and it doesnt use backlighting (like OLED).
mini-LED is just LCD w/ more backlighting zones.

if you need/want/love super high brightness, go LCD.
for everything else, it's OLED/microLED.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There are clear winners though, in certain areas.

VA LCD wins for Brightness, motion smoothness without interpolation, input lag when using black frame insertion; it causes a half frame hit on OLED because there's no backlight to implement.

On lg woled, near black is worse than VA lcd i.e. near black flash on compressed films. If you ever want to see this in all its non glory watch a black and white film like phantom of the opera.

On qd OLED this shouldn't be a problem. Both qd OLED and woled obviously, easily spank VA LCD in contrast. But qd OLED has the same inherent weaknesses and strengths as any self emissive display.

Micro led / Samsung qned (the latter will come first and may get rid of the need for micro led at all) will solve the brightness problem of OLED but still handle low fps motion worse than lcd, which we need a solution for better motion in general soon.

Honestly Mister Wolf Mister Wolf OLED is plenty bright in a dark room, but it's not when you add black frame insertion. Heck it's even bright enough for a medium lit room if you don't have lights directly behind it, for reflections. With no bfi the hdr I saw on c1 was easily more impactful than my x900e, but for both of those displays I want them much brighter so the hdr still pops when using bfi.
Its what I meant there is no single winner do all everything is perfect display

The dimming is something you will never notice in reality.
It is only possible to observe in HDR when opening white window and then making it full screen.
Playing HDR game never requires max brightness from all elements.
It can sometimes engage annoying ABSL during watching a movie if a scene dont change for long. But never in a game
Wasn't talking about auto dimming, as I didn't see that on c1 or my 55 A8h which I used for more than a year, I just meant the brightness level on the 48 compared to the 55.

I guess it doesn't matter since I can't buy the 48 anymore...

The best display I have seen is the Ipad Pro use of mini LEDs

It has like 10k LEDs 2500 dimming zones and can hit 1600 nits.

When showing HDR content this thing looks great
Too bad TV's can't seem to have so high density of mini LEDs.

Freaking Sony this year has the balls to put only 384 zones in a 65 inch :/

I really want a Sony mini led at 50-55" size with no wide angle filter.. maybe next year.

bender

What time is it?
And there probably never will be for many decades!

I'd go with never for a lot of reasons:

-The push for energy efficiency. (Goodbye Plasma)
-The push larger screen sizes. (Goodbye CRT)
-The push for less bulky designs (shipping costs, showroom floorspace, convenience for setting up in homes). (Goodbye CRT, Goodbye Plasma)
-The push for smart features which obsoletes sets faster than "dumb" sets.
-To a lesser extent than smart features is technology features as sets are being used for more than just the living room.

I bought a Kuro back in the day for $5,000 and that was an insane amount of money. I used that set for over 10 years so it turned out to be a good investment. So when I upgraded to OLED, I went with a high end E7 that I got at a "bargain" at $2,000. That set gave me about two years of service and yes I realize I'm an outlier. I then swore off spending that much on a set and decided to treat them as disposable and to expect no more than five years from a set, if that.

Kinda agree…TLOU II looks great on my OLED and it frees up more resources for devs…1440p upscaled to 4k using DLSS is perfectly fine…

PaintTinJr

mini-LED is and microLED are entirely different.

mini-LED = LCD (trash) + LEDs for backlighting
microLED = the individual pixels are made up of tiny LEDs.

microLED can turn off individual pixels for perfect blacks (like OLED), and it doesnt use backlighting (like OLED).
mini-LED is just LCD w/ more backlighting zones.

if you need/want/love super high brightness, go LCD.
for everything else, it's OLED/microLED.
Trash? Really? Anyone that would describe LCD as trash after years of TVs that provide excellent PQ (overall) and in the Z9 series case could be argued as the best TVs money can buy; especially when they are the screens PlayStation first party devs and Kojima use as reference monitors for game development, especially HDR, is difficult to take serious. Sony's OLEDs are some of the best you can buy - because of the DSP - and yet their flagship TVs are the Z9 series, and have been for about 6 years.

The Z9D was a dawn of LCD/LED that overall is superior to competing tech in PQ, because full contrast can only be realised fully with higher peak brightness, because brightness clipping is more serve with a narrow range of brightness(say 860 compared to 1400), regardless of the algorithm used.

What TV do you own that is genuinely better than the incoming trash Mini-LED Z9K? My old Z9D has over 22k hrs of use and PQ still looks as good as the day it arrived.

I'd go with never for a lot of reasons:

-The push for energy efficiency. (Goodbye Plasma)
-The push larger screen sizes. (Goodbye CRT)
-The push for less bulky designs (shipping costs, showroom floorspace, convenience for setting up in homes). (Goodbye CRT, Goodbye Plasma)
-The push for smart features which obsoletes sets faster than "dumb" sets.
-To a lesser extent than smart features is technology features as sets are being used for more than just the living room.

I bought a Kuro back in the day for $5,000 and that was an insane amount of money. I used that set for over 10 years so it turned out to be a good investment. So when I upgraded to OLED, I went with a high end E7 that I got at a "bargain" at $2,000. That set gave me about two years of service and yes I realize I'm an outlier. I then swore off spending that much on a set and decided to treat them as disposable and to expect no more than five years from a set, if that.
Agree 100 percent on smart tvs, all that really does is give these companies a backdoor to mess with your set via firmware but people are too psyched for Netflix to give a shit. I never connected my TV's to wifi and when there's an actual good update, I plug in Ethernet and then unplug when it's done.

We are advancing in many areas since crt, but we need the motion persistence that they had, with low fps content like 60. And also we need better upscaling, which crt didn't have to worry about, but plasma did.

One thing I don't like about crt/plasma motion though are phosphor trails, the worst of which I saw on an hd Bravia widescreen crt. Any benefit that crt motion had on that set was thrown out the window by horrible green and black smearing. Phosphor trail affects plasma as well. And we have perfect black levels now at least for OLED.

There's a way to emulate that old motion quality of crt but we need much more than 120hz displays, to perfectly replicate crt impulse motion via black frame insertion. But I say decades because it is said we need 1000hz panels to perfectly replicate 60hz motion as it is on crt (plus then we won't have phosphor trails).

Personally I prefer LCD the most among the modern sets, but we need a lot more dimming zones than my x900e or your 950g had. Believe me the blooming on my LCD bugs me too lol. But my 900e only has 32 zones... A thousand would be a different story!

Fredrik

Trash? Really? Anyone that would describe LCD as trash after years of TVs that provide excellent PQ (overall) and in the Z9 series case could be argued as the best TVs money can buy; especially when they are the screens PlayStation first party devs and Kojima use as reference monitors for game development, especially HDR, is difficult to take serious. Sony's OLEDs are some of the best you can buy - because of the DSP - and yet their flagship TVs are the Z9 series, and have been for about 6 years.

The Z9D was a dawn of LCD/LED that overall is superior to competing tech in PQ, because full contrast can only be realised fully with higher peak brightness, because brightness clipping is more serve with a narrow range of brightness(say 860 compared to 1400), regardless of the algorithm used.

What TV do you own that is genuinely better than the incoming trash Mini-LED Z9K? My old Z9D has over 22k hrs of use and PQ still looks as good as the day it arrived.
I still use a Sony xe9305 in the living room, and it’s still awesome, especially for HDR, I would never see any reason to swap it out if it weren’t for the missing features (VRR, 4k120hz).

jjycXpM.png

I’ve never a tried 1000 nits screen up close though. Can’t it be painfully bright?

Last edited:

I'm excited to see how the z9k turns out. But I do not like the current XR picture processor, and it will have the contrast killing x wide angle filter* unlike z9D, so it'll be interesting to see how the two compare.

*Which is one reason I'm dying to see a 55" mini led from Sony as it wouldn't have that filter. Z9K is also too big...

bender

What time is it?
Agree 100 percent on smart tvs, all that really does is give these companies a backdoor to mess with your set via firmware but people are too psyched for Netflix to give a shit. I never connected my TV's to wifi and when there's an actual good update, I plug in Ethernet and then unplug when it's done.

We are advancing in many areas since crt, but we need the motion persistence that they had, with low fps content like 60. And also we need better upscaling, which crt didn't have to worry about, but plasma did.

One thing I don't like about crt/plasma motion though are phosphor trails, the worst of which I saw on an hd Bravia widescreen crt. Any benefit that crt motion had on that set was thrown out the window by horrible green and black smearing. Phosphor trail affects plasma as well. And we have perfect black levels now at least for OLED.

There's a way to emulate that old motion quality of crt but we need much more than 120hz displays, to perfectly replicate crt impulse motion via black frame insertion. But I say decades because it is said we need 1000hz panels to perfectly replicate 60hz motion as it is on crt (plus then we won't have phosphor trails).

Personally I prefer LCD the most among the modern sets, but we need a lot more dimming zones than my x900e or your 950g had. Believe me the blooming on my LCD bugs me too lol. But my 900e only has 32 zones... A thousand would be a different story!

Everything has flaws of course, but where we are right now just feels so disposable which is why I find the push for energy efficiency so at odds with how quickly we obsolete the tech. The industry could help themselves out a bit by modularizing some on the tech in sets (here is a replacement "brain" for your smart apps and OS), but the panels themselves are just evolving too quickly and the added cost and complexity for the average joe would make the idea a miserable failure.

It's hard to go back to dimming zones and your idea would again make it cost prohibitive, I'd think.

My favorite sets are still my Dell branded 21" Sony Trinitron computer monitor from the mid-late 90s, my 34" widescreen WEGA XBR and my Kuro. Hopefully the C1 joins the list soon.

bender bender I agree that things were better built back then. You'd be very very lucky if any current OLED lasts 10 years. Heck my a8h got some serious banding that wasn't there when I bought it after 4 months :/ but how many ancient crts are still kicking?

Btw, a tip for your c1, fiddle around with the OLED motion pro settings (black frame insertion) and specifically try the low/medium settings as high will flicker ; it makes motion look waaay smoother. It will dim the picture a bit but it's the best bfi I've ever seen on an OLED.

Also I found the cinemotion setting for movies will be the motion smoothing option with the least artifacts. I move august 1st and within a week I will order a c1 myself.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wasn't talking about auto dimming, as I didn't see that on c1 or my 55 A8h which I used for more than a year, I just meant the brightness level on the 48 compared to the 55.

I guess it doesn't matter since I can't buy the 48 anymore...
I see that 48" is 50-100 nits dimmer compared to 55. Nothing significant

PaintTinJr

I'm excited to see how the z9k turns out. But I do not like the current XR picture processor, and it will have the contrast killing x wide angle filter* unlike z9D, so it'll be interesting to see how the two compare.

*Which is one reason I'm dying to see a 55" mini led from Sony as it wouldn't have that filter. Z9K is also too big...
Going by Sony's z9K video comparing the Z9D's zones - 400-700 dimming zones from hdtvtest's attempt at counting in the original review - to Z9K zones size - there was 10-20 zones for every Z9D zone in x and y directions, so assuming around 50K zones minimum - even account for the difference between 4K and 8K that should still be like 10x the zone count in real terms over the Z9D.

The problem will going smaller in Sony TV sizes, is that the DSP doesn't scale in a linear fashion, so going to 55" would probably be like going from an RX 6700XT on a 65" down to RX 6600 on a 55".

As for the topic of the thread, my old Sony 32" W7 1080p screen that I use as a PC monitor (also has +20k hrs use) makes me think that 1080p at such small sizes is good enough and higher refresh, better colour reproduction, lower latency, better contrast and better brightness matter more - like Sony's new gaming monitor range - because using the Land of the Ancient UE5 demo on that monitor tells me that in drone mode it already looks like it is approaching photo realism at just 1080p - like a 20Mpixel landscape photo - and hypothetically changing it for a 1440p W7 TV with identical specs elsewhere wouldn't improve PQ at all. So the whole 1440p argument is really about the games needing better pixels. Not a higher resolution monitor to view the same pixels IMHO

I see that 48" is 50-100 nits dimmer compared to 55. Nothing significant
That's actually a big deal when you're sub 1000 nits, esp. if you use black frame insertion. I think the 55" is the right one for me, like I said that 48 A9S was awfully dim. Hopefully your 48 is not as dim as that was

Going by Sony's z9K video comparing the Z9D's zones - 400-700 dimming zones from hdtvtest's attempt at counting in the original review - to Z9K zones size - there was 10-20 zones for every Z9D zone in x and y directions, so assuming around 50K zones minimum - even account for the difference between 4K and 8K that should still be like 10x the zone count in real terms over the Z9D.
First of all the 8k mini led TV's from Samsung are much less than 3,000 dimming zones, so 50x z9D would be an impossibility. I think some are over 2,000 while some have been just shy of that.

65 inch z9D has over 600 zones, I think 648 or around there. Then the 75" has just over 800 zones. You can go look at Vincent's reviews for a refresher

Edit : exactly 800 zones for the 75 z9D : 2:10 mark

And 1,920 zones for the Samsung mini led qn900a from last year : 1:58 mark

Last edited:

Genx3

4K is where it's at and I agree there's no need for higher resolutions than 4K but 1440P is not as crisp and smooth.

Jaggies are still easily visible at 1440P.

4K is perfect

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

First of all the 8k mini led TV's from Samsung are much less than 3,000 dimming zones, so 50x z9D would be an impossibility. I think some are over 2,000 while some have been just shy of that.

65 inch z9D has over 600 zones, I think 648 or around there. Then the 75" has just over 800 zones. You can go look at Vincent's reviews for a refresher

Edit : exactly 800 zones for the 75 z9D : 2:10 mark

And 1,920 zones for the Samsung mini led qn900a from last year : 1:58 mark

I can't quickly find the reveal video Sony did that had the actual comparison image of the Z9D and Z9K master backlight drive zones, but it was still orders more in each direction.

In the video I have linked above, the annotation unequivocally claim 100 : 1 over conventional FALD dimming, and in the image around 31-39sec if you count the left side zones, it is something like 17x18 just showing a square crop of the image, which is consistent with the dimming zone counts you and I mentioned from Vincent for the Z9D when scaled for a full 16:9 aspect.

Going by the 75" zone count of the 4K Z9D, even going from 800 to 3200 zone for 8K that would only make the master backlight drive in the Z9K equal in brightness control to its 6year old predecessor. So the zone count needs to be at least 15k to show a 2x improvement IMO, which I believe it will.

I think I already know the answer - and assume it is no - but did Vincent ever get a chance to test in person the 8k Z9G and the current Z9J models - which other than the Z9D and new miniLed K model are the only ones to feature an actual master backlight drive - and check the zone counts on them ?

Last edited:

I can't quickly find the reveal video Sony did that had the actual comparison image of the Z9D and Z9K master backlight drive zones, but it was still orders more in each direction.

In the video I have linked above, the annotation unequivocally claim 100 : 1 over conventional FALD dimming, and in the image around 31-39sec if you count the left side zones, it is something like 17x18 just showing a square crop of the image, which is consistent with the dimming zone counts you and I mentioned from Vincent for the Z9D when scaled for a full 16:9 aspect.

Going by the 75" zone count of the 4K Z9D, even going from 800 to 3200 zone for 8K that would only make the master backlight drive in the Z9K equal in brightness control to its 6year old predecessor. So the zone count needs to be at least 15k to show a 2x improvement IMO, which I believe it will.

I think I already know the answer - and assume it is no - but did Vincent ever get a chance to test in person the 8k Z9G and the current Z9J models - which other than the Z9D and new miniLed K model are the only ones to feature an actual master backlight drive - and check the zone counts on them ?

That's not how it works, any of what you wrote bro, it's not how it works haha. Each mini led does not work independently, but as a cluster, effectively making that cluster the same as one conventional led zone. This is how it works on all Samsung mini led, tcl and Sony's x95k, we have confirmed that as well. It will be the same on z9k given how incredibly expensive it would be to control each individual mini led, if it were even possible at all.

Basically mini led = traditional fald, the only difference is it's easier to pack more zones in given the size, and it's cheaper to put more zones than before.

Oh man if they actually ever do make a mini led tv that has each individual mini led as a zone, that should be a perceptual match for a self emissive display! It would be insane.

8K does not mean each zone has less control, it just means they need stronger LEDs to push through the more dense pixel structure, i.e. you need stronger light to achieve the same brightness as on a 4k panel.

1900 zones on an 75" z9k for example, should scale linearly in performance compared to the x95k mini led set.

Z9G had about 720 zones, as per hdtvtest. Z9J has 400 zones and not marketed with backlight master drive, but as traditional fald.

But the thing is it's true that more zones on z9k doesn't automatically give it better contrast vs. Z9D because, not only the x wide angle filter lowering the native contrast but also for hdr specifically, when you pump the brightness up you need more zones to keep blooming under control vs. a lower nit set, assuming you don't turn brightness down on z9k to match z9D for example.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

That's not how it works, any of what you wrote bro, it's not how it works haha. Each mini led does not work independently, but as a cluster, effectively making that cluster the same as one conventional led zone. This is how it works on all Samsung mini led, tcl and Sony's x95k, we have confirmed that as well. It will be the same on z9k given how incredibly expensive it would be to control each individual mini led, if it were even possible at all.

Basically mini led = traditional fald, the only difference is it's easier to pack more zones in given the size, and it's cheaper to put more zones than before.

Oh man if they actually ever do make a mini led tv that has each individual mini led as a zone, that should be a perceptual match for a self emissive display! It would be insane.

8K does not mean each zone has less control, it just means they need stronger LEDs to push through the more dense pixel structure, i.e. you need stronger light to achieve the same brightness as on a 4k panel.

1900 zones on an 75" z9k for example, should scale linearly in performance compared to the x95k mini led set.

Z9G had about 720 zones, as per hdtvtest. Z9J has 400 zones and not marketed with backlight master drive, but as traditional fald.

But the thing is it's true that more zones on z9k doesn't automatically give it better contrast vs. Z9D because, not only the x wide angle filter lowering the native contrast but also for hdr specifically, when you pump the brightness up you need more zones to keep blooming under control vs. a lower nit set, assuming you don't turn brightness down on z9k to match z9D for example.
That's interesting about the J model zones and not having the master backlight marketing beyond the reveal I watched back in 2020?2021?, because I was only tracking such versions as possible replacements for when our 65" Z9D finally rolls over.

Are you saying that the simulated backlight zone comparison in that video is misleading, then - as that's what I'm going by? Looking at it again, looking for clusters,, the left and right image clusters are 3x3 which you are saying are single zones (yes?), because going by that image that's still going to be about 45-60 zones on left and at 100:1 about 4.5k to 6k on the right.

My point about 4K vs 8K, is that with x4 more pixels of potentially unique detail, the zones need to scale accordingly to maintain the status quo of not sharing a zone over more pixels than before - and incorrectly altering the cluster intensity, say like taking an extreme situation like a star field scene where it is all light and dark, 4 times the pixels with only 3 times the zones would be worse, no?

Last edited:
Are you saying that the simulated backlight zone comparison in that video is misleading, then - as that's what I'm going by? Looking at it again, looking for clusters,, the left and right image clusters are 3x3 which you are saying are single zones (yes?), because going by that image that's still going to be about 45-60 zones on left and at 100:1 about 4.5k to 6k on the right.
Yeah to be blunt it's completely misleading. X95k with mini led and blmd has been counted at having 384 independently dimmable zones, meaning one cluster is one zone.
My point about 4K vs 8K, is that with x4 more pixels of potentially unique detail, the zones need to scale accordingly to maintain the status quo of not sharing a zone over more pixels than before - and incorrectly altering the cluster intensity, say like taking an extreme situation like a star field scene where it is all light and dark, 4 times the pixels with only 3 times the zones would be worse, no?
I mean if there are literally 4x as many stars on the 8k version, then yes but presumably we are talking about the same piece of content on both displays?

Like, an image of the sun against a black background of space at 480p is going to need the same amount of dimming control as if it were 1080p.

The thing is on a Starfield, even Sony has backlight fluctuations with their best in the business dimming, so basically unless there are as many dimming zones as there are stars, it's going to be a bit all over the place. And presumably that would be too many zones to implement? Lol

Which is why OLED just can't be beat for movies in space

Last edited:

mrqs

4K is where it's at and I agree there's no need for higher resolutions than 4K but 1440P is not as crisp and smooth.

Jaggies are still easily visible at 1440P.

4K is perfect
You might say the same thing about 8k in about 5 years.

More resolution is always better. The limit is far from 4k. 16k resolution will enable such a level of granularity in long-distance detail and it'll be crazy. We think 4k is good enough because we don't know where to look. In any scene with far and granular detail, more resolution will help a lot. Even with closeup faces, there's a lot to improve still.

PaintTinJr

Yeah to be blunt it's completely misleading. X95k with mini led and blmd has been counted at having 384 independently dimmable zones, meaning one cluster is one zone.

I mean if there are literally 4x as many stars on the 8k version, then yes but presumably we are talking about the same piece of content on both displays?

Like, an image of the sun against a black background of space at 480p is going to need the same amount of dimming control as if it were 1080p.

The thing is on a Starfield, even Sony has backlight fluctuations with their best in the business dimming, so basically unless there are as many dimming zones as there are stars, it's going to be a bit all over the place. And presumably that would be too many zones to implement? Lol

Which is why OLED just can't be beat for movies in space
That's not quite what I meant, because the Sony X1 Ultimate and XR 8K screens will attempt to enhance the source material to occupy more unique pixels even if it starts at 480p, but they don't need 1:1 dimming zones as demonstrated by how well 600 - 800 clusters does at 4K - or even +30 zones on your own do, the dimming can be much lower orders than 4 or 8K.

I suspect the reason 600 zones is still very good is that when you look at the channels of a histogram of a scene image, rarely are there situations - even with a star field - where the channels don't overlap with lots of common base intensity across most of the image, This should allow the local dimming zones to focus on the delta intensities - although I imagine it is far more complicated as it is probably taking the current - and two previous images - and minifying them to an image the size of the master backlight drive zones to get a base and zone delta intensity, and then using AI to predict the next minified frame's zone intensities, and then using that info to bias the current frame zone intensity - so they can minimise zone bloom between successive frames.

My point about needing at least 3200 zones/clusters in the Z9K to maintain the same level of controlled local dimming at 8K as the Z9D still sounds right to me, and unless that comparison in the video I linked is completely false even counting with the coarser 3x3 sized unique clusters/zones, I still think the Z9K is going to have about 5k-10k zones, or is going to be a huge disappointment for what it costs and how it has been marketed as a big step up from the Z9D.

PaintTinJr

You might say the same thing about 8k in about 5 years.

More resolution is always better. The limit is far from 4k. 16k resolution will enable such a level of granularity in long-distance detail and it'll be crazy. We think 4k is good enough because we don't know where to look. In any scene with far and granular detail, more resolution will help a lot. Even with closeup faces, there's a lot to improve still.
Is more resolution really better and an area where we'll see an improvement easiest? We are nowhere near to offline rendering quality for cgi in a full HD movie for game graphics, just yet, never mind full hd recording of real life which is orders more detailed at even SD..

Better pixels rendered at 1080p, and better image processing in software or screen hardware to bridge 1080p resolutions upwards is surely much more important than native 1440p or 4k, already, no?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Thinking about jumping in on such a screen. I used to have a three screen setup but now I only have a single 24” screen, it’s a significant downgrade especially for racing.

But I tried a super ultra wide a couple years ago but then it felt like half the games were stretched or needed hacks.

How are they in 2022 for regular 16:9 content? Can you lock in to 16:9 in the center of the screen and get old games to play without stretching if there is only fullscreen mode?

What about performance? What do you need to play at Ultra? Are we talking about an i9 and 3090 build or else you need to drop the quality to medium?

Only game I play that doesn’t support it is fall guys but I think that’s more to keep shit fair.

There are going to be issues with older games they for sure don’t like the aspect ratio stuff like Dragon age Inquisition look horrible.

Your going to need hardware that can do 4k gaming and your needed fps. Something like destiny runs at about 120ish fps on my 3080ti/rysen 7 5800x. Stuff like cyber punk runs at 60-70 maxed. Can drop some setting if u need faster

Last edited:

scydrex

depends on distance you sit from it as well.

i got a 4K 55" and it's not a huge upgrade over my old 1080p. i did notice a difference when i first got it but going between 1080p + 4K content i don't really notice it.

if i sit closer then it's much better looking. i probably should have a 65-75" tv for the distance i sit away from it.

[/URL]

If you need a 65-75 tv then obviously you will not see a lot of diference. I sit like 4 or 5 feet away at max from a 55" 4k and i notice right away when watching 1080p. Even 1440p but no so much but yeah still notice it.

Top Bottom