• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K HDR recording: 1 hour on PS5 (Internal) vs 1 hour on Xbox Series X (external)

Do you record your gameplay?

• Total voters

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Ok, just don't unplug it because you can't do 60min 1080p@60fps in backwards like PS5.
OK I get it. You just use it to console war on GAF.
I knew that's why the title was literally stating so, also posted the who quote from Xbox support which states so.
It originally said "4K HDR recording: 1 hour on PS5 vs 30 seconds on Xbox Series X" and also didnt have the whole quote from Xbox support. Bo wished everyone believed that like how he wished few pages back that Xbox users had to edit the 4K video on PC.

FranXico

Why are people saying there's no quick "clip last few instants" option for PS5?
If you set the share button to "easy video clip" it literally only takes one button press to save the last few seconds of gameplay.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
OK I get it. You just use it to console war on GAF.

It originally said "4K HDR recording: 1 hour on PS5 vs 30 seconds on Xbox Series X" and also didnt have the whole quote from Xbox support. Bo wished everyone believed that like how he wished few pages back that Xbox users had to edit the 4K video on PC.

You can ask the mods how it was worded (It was Internal 4K HDR Recording...)

sddssaaaa.png

Also did you even fucking clicked on the link provided? That's the whole quotation. So stop bitching and lying and piss off.

Why are people saying there's no quick "clip last few instants" option for PS5?
If you set the share button to "easy video clip" it literally only takes one button press to save the last few seconds of gameplay.

Didn't know that! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

You can ask the mods how it was worded (It was Internal 4K HDR Recording...) also did you even fucking clicked on the link provided? That's the whole quotation.
So it was "Internal 4K HDR Recording: 1 hour on PS5 vs 30 seconds on Xbox Series X". I don't know the exact title but it definitely was implying you can only record 30 seconds on Xbox and 60 minutes on PS5.
also did you even fucking clicked the link provided?
"Just check the link". Does not mean you can misquote and later edit after a title change. The quote didn't have the segment about 60 minutes on external drive initially.
So stop bitching and lying and piss off.
Maybe after doing this all day on GAF for more than a year now you are actually projecting on others.

kyliethicc

I never really use this feature on xbox - mostly because it sucks yes

does the ps5 save the last HOUR when you press record?!! Xbox does 3 minutes :(
The PS5 is constantly recording the last 60 mins of your gameplay, automatically. But its not saved unless you tell it to save a clip.

You can press the create button at any time and save a recent clip, up to 60 mins. You select from a menu how long you want the clip to be.

c8CuyWw.jpg

E7B4TY0.jpg

Or you can manually tell the system to begin/end recording a clip for higher quality.

Its 1080p60 SDR/HDR for the auto record, while manual recordings are 4K60 SDR/HDR.

Htl5uRt.jpg
8UxhqiE.jpg
gmmV0iH.jpg

kyliethicc

So it was "Internal 4K HDR Recording: 1 hour on PS5 vs 30 seconds on Xbox Series X". I don't know the exact title but it definitely was implying you can only record 30 seconds on Xbox and 60 minutes on PS5.

"Just check the link". Does not mean you can misquote and later edit after a title change. The quote didn't have the segment about 60 minutes on external drive initially.

Maybe after doing this all day on GAF for more than a year now you are actually projecting on others.
Nah take your L. Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem is right on this one, what he said was accurate. Xbox can only record 30 sec clips on the internal drive.

Last edited:
I have all the auto recording stuff turned off afaik. I'm sure the system overhead it is ringfenced but I like to believe it makes my games run better (but probably not).

Rossco EZ

ok so last night i decided to record some footage of forza horizon 4 on series X, i used a Samsung USB stick instead of a external hard drive as my external already has games on. first recording i did 1080p SDR and it worked without audio issues (something i had problems with when i tried this on my one X last time) and then the second recording in 4K HDR. the recording worked, no audio issues again which was great but when i tried uploading to youtube it was stuck on processing for hours, still hasn’t uploaded even now so 10-11 hours. i’ve read that to upload HDR content you need to convert it somehow? so does the ps5 allow the 4K HDR recording to be uploaded directly to youtube via the console itself? (can’t test cause i’m not home for a few days)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For what it's worth - UHD/60fps, using Prores 422HQ would be over 700 GB for an hour. Prores 4444XQ would be over 1TB. A Netflix archival master at 24fps is upwards of 4 TB per hour. A 2 hour 4K Cinema DCP would be approx 250 GB.

I'm not saying the PS5 should be recording anywhere near these bitrates - but what it is recording is quite far removed from the codecs used by professionals.
i am glad someone knows

FrankWza

cure GIF

Yeah Sony definitely took time to ensure there are plenty of options when it comes to recording gameplay. It looks like MS spent its time working on things like quick resume and doing fps boost. Maybe they'll come back around to increasing the amount of time you can record video later.
Thread backfire 🤣
Oh I see, its to brag about the most useless feature in a gaming forum. Any self respecting "youtuber" would atleast have a external hard drive.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The PS5 is constantly recording the last 60 mins of your gameplay, automatically. But its not saved unless you tell it to save a clip.

You can press the create button at any time and save a recent clip, up to 60 mins. You select from a menu how long you want the clip to be.

c8CuyWw.jpg

E7B4TY0.jpg

Or you can manually tell the system to begin/end recording a clip for higher quality.

Its 1080p60 SDR/HDR for the auto record, while manual recordings are 4K60 SDR/HDR.

Htl5uRt.jpg
8UxhqiE.jpg
gmmV0iH.jpg

Thanks for the detailed post! I'll put it in the OP.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
ok so last night i decided to record some footage of forza horizon 4 on series X, i used a Samsung USB stick instead of a external hard drive as my external already has games on. first recording i did 1080p SDR and it worked without audio issues (something i had problems with when i tried this on my one X last time) and then the second recording in 4K HDR. the recording worked, no audio issues again which was great but when i tried uploading to youtube it was stuck on processing for hours, still hasn’t uploaded even now so 10-11 hours. i’ve read that to upload HDR content you need to convert it somehow? so does the ps5 allow the 4K HDR recording to be uploaded directly to youtube via the console itself? (can’t test cause i’m not home for a few days)

HDR takes hours to process because Youtube remaps the HDR content to make an SDR version, it's actually a wonderful feature on youtube although it's not 100% accurate but very good. One of my videos (7min) took around 1-2 days from youtube to fully process and if you checked it out in 4K still had some bad artifacts, now it's clean.

Just not that the game itself is SDR, but PS5's auto HDR features recreates an HDR version of it which is nice overall. On console it looks much better. You can check the very same video on your 4K HDR TV through the youtube app and you'll see it in HDR instead of SDR.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

HDR takes hours to process because Youtube remaps the HDR content to make an SDR version, it's actually a wonderful feature on youtube although it's not 100% accurate but very good. One of my videos (7min) took around 1-2 days from youtube to fully process and if you checked it out in 4K still have some bad artifacts, now it's clean.

Just not that the game itself is SDR, but PS5's auto HDR features recreates an HDR version of it which is nice overall. On console it looks much better. You can check the very same video on your 4K HDR TV through the youtube app and you'll see it in HDR instead of SDR.

ah got you, i’ll try another recording in 4K HDR then i thought it was some issue with having to convert it before uploading.

nice i’ll take a look at your video now.

Burger

HDR takes hours to process because Youtube remaps the HDR content to make an SDR version, it's actually a wonderful feature on youtube although it's not 100% accurate but very good. One of my videos (7min) took around 1-2 days from youtube to fully process and if you checked it out in 4K still have some bad artifacts, now it's clean.

This is essentially how Dolby Vision works. You grade in HDR at 1000 nits or whatever your spec is, then the SDR is derived from HDR. You then adjust that SDR metadata using cut down 'trim controls' which creates another set of metadata to further describe how that SDR shot should look like. That's then all wrapped up for your Netflix/Amazon/Whoever.

Creating the SDR metadata analysis is very quick though, it's not an intensive process. I'm curious how technologies like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ will work for interactive mediums. Dolby Vision itself, and how the L1/L2 metadata works is really a shot/shot/shot method - it uses the cuts on your timeline to create the metadata. For videogames there could be zero cuts - so how do you dynamically adjust the metadata going to the television?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is essentially how Dolby Vision works. You grade in HDR at 1000 nits or whatever your spec is, then the SDR is derived from HDR. You then adjust that SDR metadata using cut down 'trim controls' which creates another set of metadata to further describe how that SDR shot should look like. That's then all wrapped up for your Netflix/Amazon/Whoever.

Creating the SDR metadata analysis is very quick though, it's not an intensive process. I'm curious how technologies like Dolby Vision and HDR10+ will work for interactive mediums. Dolby Vision itself, and how the L1/L2 metadata works is really a shot/shot/shot method - it uses the cuts on your timeline to create the metadata. For videogames there could be zero cuts - so how do you dynamically adjust the metadata going to the television?

Interesting. Maybe Dolby Vision is much smarter and advanced, or maybe it's an easy work but youtube just sucks at processing because my VLC player instantly creates an SDR version on the fly. Games are still in HDR10 though, which I think is good at 1,000-nits max or something. Dolby Vision can be mastered up to 10,000-nits of course for future proofing.

I'll try making Dolby Vision HDR videos in the new future using S-Log3 videos from my Sony a7S III on DaVinci Resolve Studio, hoping it's not too complicated.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Like 99% of users, the last 30 seconds is all I ever want anyway.

A great kill or goal recorded forever - nice.

Alas, there is no denying it. It’s sketchy as fuck on the XSX (which may or may not be related to the game). In Warzone, it’s a gamble. It might just show the first 5 seconds, freeze, and ditch the rest (including the kill). It may be pitch black.

And the app for viewing and maintaining captures is a joke. Borderline unusable rubbish, which needs a complete overhaul.

But yeah, I fail to see the need for the original title of the thread. Just console warrior rubbish. You can big up your console without trying to belittle others.

Rossco EZ

Like 99% of users, the last 30 seconds is all I ever want anyway.

A great kill or goal recorded forever - nice.

Alas, there is no denying it. It’s sketchy as fuck on the XSX (which may or may not be related to the game). In Warzone, it’s a gamble. It might just show the first 5 seconds, freeze, and ditch the rest (including the kill). It may be pitch black.

And the app for viewing and maintaining captures is a joke. Borderline unusable rubbish, which needs a complete overhaul.

But yeah, I fail to see the need for the original title of the thread. Just console warrior rubbish. You can big up your console without trying to belittle others.
the thing i think is great about playstation’s auto record feature is say for example you are playing a multiplayer game and have a really good game you can just press the share button and it’s there, i’ve not actually tried to see if you can do that on xbox. to my knowledge if you want anything longer than 30 seconds you need an external HDD/SSD or USB stick 3.0 or above.

as you say the clip feature needs work because i encountered problems like you mentioned i clipped something and went to check it and it was only a few seconds long and the audio was all messed up and i’m not sure why it does that. hopefully they expand on it as it is a really nice feature to have even if you don’t always use it.

Last edited:

Burger

Interesting. Maybe Dolby Vision is much smarter and advanced, or maybe it's an easy work but youtube just sucks at processing because my VLC player instantly creates an SDR version on the fly. Games are still in HDR10 though, which I think is good at 1,000-nits max or something. Dolby Vision can be mastered up to 10,000-nits of course for future proofing.

I'll try making Dolby Vision HDR videos in the new future using D-Log videos from my Sony a7S III on DaVinci Resolve, hoping it's not too complicated.

We use Resolve professionally for this very purpose - you may need a Dolby Vision licence in order to get the SDR trim controls enabled - I cannot remember how this works. Find a copy of the 'dolby professional tools' which are command line utilities for making and checking DV content.

You can easily get HDR to SDR through the use of an output display transform. In our world the timeline may be ACES/LogC or something else. We would use an Output Display Transform to get from that 'scene referred' colourspace to (usually) P3 D65 @1000 nits. The creative grade would sit in between. Then you could theoretically change the ODT to something like LogC -> Rec709 and depending on the quality of that ODT you get a nice picture in a completely different colourspace. This is essentially what happens for Dolby Vision content displayed in SDR, the ODT is swapped and the SDR trim metadata is used to essentially live grade that picture into a nice place (using the trims set by the colourist).

It's happening more where colour is divorced from the display. Your creative controls live in a 'scene referred' colourspace, instead of the old way of doing it where it lived in a 'display referred' colourspace. Netflix in the future will be able to easily remaster content for new colourspaces and display technologies, as they have the content stored in a way that is divorced from the actual display technologies that we currently use.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We use Resolve professionally for this very purpose - you may need a Dolby Vision licence in order to get the SDR trim controls enabled - I cannot remember how this works. Find a copy of the 'dolby professional tools' which are command line utilities for making and checking DV content.

You can easily get HDR to SDR through the use of an output display transform. In our world the timeline may be ACES/LogC or something else. We would use an Output Display Transform to get from that 'scene referred' colourspace to (usually) P3 D65 @1000 nits. The creative grade would sit in between. Then you could theoretically change the ODT to something like LogC -> Rec709 and depending on the quality of that ODT you get a nice picture in a completely different colourspace. This is essentially what happens for Dolby Vision content displayed in SDR, the ODT is swapped and the SDR trim metadata is used to essentially live grade that picture into a nice place (using the trims set by the colourist).

It's happening more where colour is divorced from the display. Your creative controls live in a 'scene referred' colourspace, instead of the old way of doing it where it lived in a 'display referred' colourspace. Netflix in the future will be able to easily remaster content for new colourspaces and display technologies, as they have the content stored in a way that is divorced from the actual display technologies that we currently use.

Precious information, mate! Really appreciated. Is there an easy way like Luts for HDR content? Or a smart autocalibration to P3 (probably that's the max I should go for 10-bit footage, I think it's better to use RAW 16-bit for higher than that?). And is the license expensive, one-time payment or subscription? Thanks a lot!

BigLee74

the thing i think is great about playstation’s auto record feature is say for example you are playing a multiplayer game and have a really good game you can just press the share button and it’s there, i’ve not actually tried to see if you can do that on xbox. to my knowledge if you want anything longer than 30 seconds you need an external HDD/SSD or USB stick 3.0 or above.

as you say the clip feature needs work because i encountered problems like you mentioned i clipped something and went to check it and it was only a few seconds long and the audio was all messed up and i’m not sure why it does that. hopefully they expand on it as it is a really nice feature to have even if you don’t always use it.
I never had a problem with Xbox clips on the Xbox one/X1X (although the app has always been poor).

It’s just on the XSX I’ve been getting issues.

The 30 seconds on internal is also new to this gen (I assume that’s true, I’ve never looked).

I also don’t like the share button, as I always press it accidentally and have numerous screenshots of menu screens and empty rooms etc 😂

So yeah, this area needs some work on the new gen Xbox!

Burger

Precious information, mate! Really appreciated. Is there an easy way like Luts for HDR content? Or a smart autocalibration to P3 (probably that's the max I should go for 10-bit footage, I think it's better to use RAW 16-bit for higher than that?). And is the license expensive, one-time payment or subscription? Thanks a lot!

Technical luts are pretty easy to come by, as in a lut/transform that moves from one colourspace/gamut to another. You shouldn't need anything additional other than what Resolve has built in, provided you setup your colour management settings correctly.

Getting your hands on creative luts that map from say LogC to P3D65 @ 1000 nits would perhaps be challenging, as they can be difficult to create, and even harder to convert from say an old film emulation lut to the same thing at 1000 nits. Almost all the creative luts you find online will clip at 100 nits.

Licence costs, I don't know. You would need to get in touch with Dolby.

Autocalibration to P3? Not sure about that. The ODT will make it look 'nice' and the grading controls will help make it 'nicer' - but that's where creative control takes over.

Until you press the 'Analyse' button in Resolve - your 'grade' is HDR10 - PQ. Dolby Vision is the 'per shot' level metadata. Dolby Vision is essentially HDR10 + proprietary metadata. Resolve doesn't support the necessary HDMI tunneling to enable DV on a TV - so that may be another issue.

This is a good resource: Module 1.2 – Color Grading – Prerequisites – Dolby Professional Support Learning
To make tech cubes I've sometimes used this: LUTCalc (cameramanben.github.io)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Technical luts are pretty easy to come by, as in a lut/transform that moves from one colourspace/gamut to another. You shouldn't need anything additional other than what Resolve has built in, provided you setup your colour management settings correctly.

Getting your hands on creative luts that map from say LogC to P3D65 @ 1000 nits would perhaps be challenging, as they can be difficult to create, and even harder to convert from say an old film emulation lut to the same thing at 1000 nits. Almost all the creative luts you find online will clip at 100 nits.

Licence costs, I don't know. You would need to get in touch with Dolby.

Autocalibration to P3? Not sure about that. The ODT will make it look 'nice' and the grading controls will help make it 'nicer' - but that's where creative control takes over.

Until you press the 'Analyse' button in Resolve - your 'grade' is HDR10 - PQ. Dolby Vision is the 'per shot' level metadata. Dolby Vision is essentially HDR10 + proprietary metadata. Resolve doesn't support the necessary HDMI tunneling to enable DV on a TV - so that may be another issue.

This is a good resource: Module 1.2 – Color Grading – Prerequisites – Dolby Professional Support Learning
To make tech cubes I've sometimes used this: LUTCalc (cameramanben.github.io)

Thank you very much! So sticking with HDR10 might be a good start first, you're input with your background is very rewarding as I'm into going the next step of filming fauna and flora and would help me if I start with 4K HDR so they don't age quickly. Although the easy-to-use S-Cinetone on Sony a7S III has around 13-stops of dynamic range, and I think that's enough for HDR10? I'm familiar with grading D-Log on DJI Phantom 4 Pro and S-Log3 shouldn't be too hard. I will play around with DaVinci Resolve Studio when I buy it (currently using the free version which is incompatible with 10-bit and higher).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Uploading a ~50min 4K@60fps HDR clip to youtube directly from PS5, it'll take a while to process it as youtube is so slow to process after upload is finished and could take hours or even a day for some. It's a walkthrough of 1st biome in Returnal with thorough exploration. File size is 17.8GB.

image.png

carlosrox

Banned
I love the SX but holy fuck recording on there fucking sucks.

It's the buggiest fucking shit ever. The app crashes constantly, some videos don't work, and they self delete too???

One thing Sony has gotten right since last gen is the recording. They've got that down. And they made it even better with the PS5 so kudos to them for all that.

Nintendo and MS really need to step up their game in that department.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love the SX but holy fuck recording on there fucking sucks.

It's the buggiest fucking shit ever. The app crashes constantly, some videos don't work, and they self delete too???

One thing Sony has gotten right since last gen is the recording. They've got that down. And they made it even better with the PS5 so kudos to them for all that.

Nintendo and MS really need to step up their game in that department.

Having recording/streaming features polished and easy to access/share should help the console in getting more exposure on social media fronts like youtube/twitter/twitch. It's free marketing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Any news on Xbox recording? Still sucks ass. I don't really use it that often, but from time to time I want to do some clip and it still seems broken when you want to trim clip.

How fucking hard would to do this: Long press to start recording > long press again to stop

Sometimes companies really disappoint me, to now do something which seems like an obvious thing.

Bernkastel

Nah take your L. Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem is right on this one, what he said was accurate. Xbox can only record 30 sec clips on the internal drive.
If it was an L, he wouldn't have tried to suggest you can't record over 30 sec in any way with the original thread title - "Internal 4K HDR Recording: 1 hour on PS5 vs 30 seconds on Xbox Series X". Maybe some bit of misinformation was needed to pat yourself with a self validated L.

Top Bottom