• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K HDR recording: 1 hour on PS5 (Internal) vs 1 hour on Xbox Series X (external)

Do you record your gameplay?

• Total voters

Krizalidx11

Banned
It's already HDR10 internally on PS5, but the bitrate is lower than on external capture cards (much smaller in file size as well), matching youtube and probably vimeo. No matter what you do the final results will be ruined by youtube compression, unless you're after releasing direct feed downloads.
I think the file is Webm rather than mp4 which is what external capture uses, Youtube compression is bad but you can see some HDR captures looking better than other due to high bitrate like 80mbps !!

Burger

For what it's worth - UHD/60fps, using Prores 422HQ would be over 700 GB for an hour. Prores 4444XQ would be over 1TB. A Netflix archival master at 24fps is upwards of 4 TB per hour. A 2 hour 4K Cinema DCP would be approx 250 GB.

I'm not saying the PS5 should be recording anywhere near these bitrates - but what it is recording is quite far removed from the codecs used by professionals.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You can record up to one hour at 4k on Xbox too without third party capture card,just press start record on the Xbox menu

You mean to an external storage? Yes. Internally? No, 30 seconds according to Xbox officials.

I think the file is Webm rather than mp4 which is what external capture uses, Youtube compression is bad but you can see some HDR captures looking better than other due to high bitrate like 80mbps !!

It gets crushed to 60Mbps or less when it hits youtube. I've uploaded many videos at around 2-5GB then they end up being 150MB-600MB. Your footage will be clean and clear and once it hits youtube you'll see banding on the sky.

For what it's worth - UHD/60fps, using Prores 422HQ would be over 700 GB for an hour. Prores 4444XQ would be over 1TB. A Netflix archival master at 24fps is upwards of 4 TB per hour. A 2 hour 4K Cinema DCP would be approx 250 GB.

I'm not saying the PS5 should be recording anywhere near these bitrates - but what it is recording is quite far removed from the codecs used by professionals.

I know that, it's more "youtube-friendly", so it's around 16-20GB per hour which is pretty low with decent quality using H.265 compression.

Krizalidx11

Banned

I had Ninja inferno capture card, that thing capture 10 minutes of 4k 60fps HDR 444 mp4 and creates a 280gb file, i had to reduce the time to 4 minutes and end up with 125gb for one file but the IQ is superb on YT, i think the audio capture pushed that huge file size, loseless PCM 2500kbps

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I had Ninja inferno capture card, that thing capture 10 minutes of 4k 60fps HDR 444 mp4 and creates a 280gb file, i had to reduce the time to 4 minutes and end up with 125gb for one file but the IQ is superb on YT, i think the audio capture pushed that huge file size, loseless PCM 2500kbps

Well that's too much, it's 16-20GB per hour (~3GB per 10min) and still look very clean and solid and in HDR. On your PC the capture card will have extremely superior image, but then youtube will put all of that to the shitter.

Here is another guy with internal recording:

This would help as well:

nikolino840

You mean to an external storage? Yes. Internally? No, 30 seconds according to Xbox officials.

It gets crushed to 60Mbps or less when it hits youtube. I've uploaded many videos at around 2-5GB then they end up being 150MB-600MB. Your footage will be clean and clear and once it hits youtube you'll see banding on the sky.

I know that, it's more "youtube-friendly", so it's around 16-20GB per hour which is pretty low with decent quality using H.265 compression.
Does it matter where you record? For CW?
I record, then unplug the hdd and pass the files in the pc...is more easy then what you think
This time you have made a FAIL thread 😂

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Does it matter where you record? For CW?
I record, then unplug the hdd and pass the files in the pc...is more easy then what you think
This time you have made a FAIL thread 😂

Nope, you literally don't need extra HW, nor a PC to edit (sharefactory) nor an expensive app to handle 4K HDR, nor most PC's can handle that format easily.

Burger

That's upwards of 3 Gigabits per second, or getting close to RAW record rates for professional cameras.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's upwards of 3 Gigabits per second, or getting close to RAW record rates for professional cameras.

We really shouldn't take games this seriously. Only the extreme high-end videographers and filmmakers use RAW and and ProRes.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And why would you store a 1 hour recording on internal hard drive?

And you don't need them in Xbox either.

Temporarily until you finish editing (if needed) or upload them to youtube then delete them? 1 hour is just 16-20GB, pretty low for a very decent IQ. If you need that clip just download it again from youtube!

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Temporarily until you finish editing (if needed) or upload them to youtube then delete them? 1 hour is just 16-20GB, pretty low for a very decent IQ.
And you can share it from the external hard drive too without "storing it temporarily".

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You have to have external drive anyway unless you want to store them in your internal hard drive forever.

Why would I store them? I just upload them to youtube then delete them, or transfer them to my cheap USB flash if I need them on my PC. I don't think you would do a documentary in gaming to store them. You can redownload them in 4K as well from youtube if you need to.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh I see, its to brag about the most useless feature in a gaming forum. Any self respecting "youtuber" would atleast have a external hard drive.

There is nothing disrespectful in any case. Casuals would rather just upload then delete, and they're the vast majority and Sharefactory would work perfectly for youtuber on a budget. My PC build was $3400 total, and still need to spend $300 to edit 4K HDR or have $20 monthly subs forever as free editors don't even edit 4K, let alone HDR, H.265, WebM.

Banned
the thing is... the most important feature, clipping the last few seconds and then sharing them, is way faster and easier on Xbox tho. you literally either press Home and X or you hold the Share button.

what happens then is the last few seconds (you can change the default in the settings, or on the fly by hitting Home + View[Select]) will get saved AND immediately uploaded onto your online feed, where friends will immediately be able to see the clip. you don't need to do anything, just hold the share button, it uploads and gets shared absolutely automatically

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
There is nothing disrespectful in any case. Casuals would rather just upload then delete, and they're the vast majority and Sharefactory would work perfectly for youtuber on a budget. My PC build was $3400 total, and still need to spend $300 to edit 4K HDR or have $20 monthly subs forever as free editors don't even edit 4K, let alone HDR, H.265, WebM.
Or you can just record to a external hdd. "Vast Majority" atleast have that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
the thing is... the most important feature, clipping the last few seconds and then sharing them, is way faster and easier on Xbox tho. you literally either press Home and X or you hold the Share button.

what happens then is the last few seconds (you can change the default in the settings, or on the fly by hitting Home + View[Select]) will get saved AND immediately uploaded onto your online feed, where friends will immediately be able to see the clip. you don't need to do anything, just hold the share button, it uploads and gets shared absolutely automatically

If that's your thing then you can cap your recording to 1min or even 15sec:

76220_23_ps5-can-capture-up-to-1-hour-of-4k-gameplay-video-with-create-button_full.jpg

07-PS5-Share-Media.jpg

Then just share, and you can as well trim:

011-record-gameplay-on-ps5-5087328-96f3927875a54e208339e05c74bbfd46.jpg

How much is Jim Ryan paying you for this, Bo? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

200.gif

Or you can just record to a external hdd. "Vast Majority" atleast have that.

Ok, just don't unplug it because you can't do 60min 1080p@60fps in backwards like PS5.

jm89

I use the recorder alot but not the same as others use it for.

On one hand i don't like missing dialogue or cutscene moments as i like to follow the story of whatever i'm playing in somewhat detail, but on the other hand i lose focus easily and miss things.

This is where the create button has come usefull, if i miss something then no problem i can make a quick recording and watch it back, and with the ps5 that is painless as it saves the clip insanely quick. No more days of watching stuff back on youtube. Maybe im a weirdo for what i use it for but whatever.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I use the recorder alot but not the same as others use it for.

On one hand i don't like missing dialogue or cutscene moments as i like to follow the story of whatever i'm playing in somewhat detail, but on the other hand i lose focus easily and miss things.

This is where the create button has come usefull, if i miss something then no problem i can make a quick recording and watch it back, and with the ps5 that is painless as it saves the clip insanely quick. No more days of watching stuff back on youtube. Maybe im a weirdo for what i use it for but whatever.

Not at all, thanks for your input. I might start using the 60min backward recording in 1080p@60fps just in case something interesting I need to share.

Banned
If that's your thing then you can cap your recording to 1min or even 15sec:

76220_23_ps5-can-capture-up-to-1-hour-of-4k-gameplay-video-with-create-button_full.jpg

07-PS5-Share-Media.jpg

Then just share, and you can as well trim:

011-record-gameplay-on-ps5-5087328-96f3927875a54e208339e05c74bbfd46.jpg

200.gif

Ok, just don't unplug it because you can't do 60min 1080p@60fps in backwards like PS5.

you can also trim and share on every platform on Xbox on the fly. the difference is on Xbox it automatically uploads to your share feed and people can simply click on your profile or on the community tab to watch the clips, with no input from you needed at all.

that is something Sony has to bring to their share system. i don't want to upload my clips to youtube or Twitter or whatever service, I want a console internal solution that works for all my PSN friends on the fly.

Danknugz

Does win 10 support 4K / 60 FPS? I use windvr for 1080p/60fps and it works fine. Not sure if a spare 5400 rpm disk (what I use for the captures) could even handle the 4K 60 FPS.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
you can also trim and share on every platform on Xbox on the fly. the difference is on Xbox it automatically uploads to your share feed and people can simply click on your profile or on the community tab to watch the clips, with no input from you needed at all.

that is something Sony has to bring to their share system. i don't want to upload my clips to youtube or Twitter or whatever service, I want a console internal solution that works for all my PSN friends on the fly.

That's great! I know one uploading to twitter and youtube, let's see their input in the matter if it's similar or need extra manual trimming.

skit_data skit_data
Mr. PlayStation Mr. PlayStation
8BiTw0LF 8BiTw0LF

And drotahorror drotahorror who shared this on twitter:

Does win 10 support 4K / 60 FPS? I use windvr for 1080p/60fps and it works fine. Not sure if a spare 5400 rpm disk (what I use for the captures) could even handle the 4K 60 FPS.

Last time I checked no, that's why I'm using DaVinci Resolve 17 (very heavy app though, and professional), the free version which is capped at 4K@60fps SDR 8-bit only, and no WebM support for the free version.

Banned
That's great! I know one uploading to twitter and youtube, let's see their input in the matter if it's similar or need extra manual trimming.

the thing is, all I want from sharing clips on a console is, I press a button and my friends can see it a few seconds/minutes later after it automatically uploaded in the background to my console profile.

that's how I use the share function on consoles and that's the reason I barely used it on PS4 but used it a fuckload on Xbox One... that and it was SUPER slow and cumbersome to even save a clip on PS4, that OS is so slow when a game is playing, holy shit.

in fact, what usually happened was, I went through the cumbersome act of saving a clip (which depending on how demanding the game is can take up to 10 seconds... like... wtf) and then after I/we stopped playing I would freaking record the clip I saved off the screen with my Phone and send the damn clip via WhatsApp. because that is by far the easiest way to do it as of now on PlayStation... that or having a throwaway twitter account connected that you dump all your clips onto, and yeah, that's also not optimal.

skit_data

skit_data skit_data
Mr. PlayStation Mr. PlayStation
8BiTw0LF 8BiTw0LF

And drotahorror drotahorror who shared this on twitter:

I trimmed my clips a little bit in the editor, mostly to make sure the clips weren’t unecessarily long. Its easy to simply share the clips to the linked youtube account, twitter or in a message any of your partys/friends.

Would be kinda cool to share it to an activity feed similar to the one found on PS4, but they have removed that on PS5 or at least I haven’t seen it.

Edit: I’ve mostly uploaded to youtube to be able to share it with anyone of my friends that don’t have a PS5 or are PC gamers

Last edited:

Banned
recording on xbox needs a drastic overhaul

not really, it's nice to have longer options but in most use cases it's useless. for my use cases Sony has to drastically overhaul their recording.
imo on Xbox it is better for day to day use of a normal player. on PlayStation it is better for content creation like youtube videos, tutorials n stuff.

I am not a content creator so on Xbox it is way better for my day to day uses of recording clips.

so Xbox should maybe try to cater more to the content creation side of things and Sony more to the normal day to day user who just want's to show a friend a cool clip

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Never used the auto record feature but used manual recording internally on PS5 and sharefactory. Here is an old video I made (in Arabic though):

Stopped working on that channel because my students found the channel and didn't like it, lol. So this new channel I made 2 days ago will just be gameplay with no commentary, or English in the future, I guess.

Banned
Never used the auto record feature but used manual recording internally on PS5 and sharefactory. Here is an old video I made (in Arabic though):

Stopped working on that channel because my students found the channel and didn't like it, lol. So this new channel I made 2 days ago will just be gameplay with no commentary, or English in the future, I guess.

yeah like I said, for content creation the PlayStation recording system is way better. but for sharing stuff with friends the Xbox one is way better.

in a perfect world both would try to work towards bridging the gap on either side. I think Sony would have the easier job here tho. implementing a network internal auto upload feature shouldn't be hard, but they would need servers to host the clips.
microsoft on the other hand would need to completely rewrite the way the console records in the background, which would be harder and less likely to happen.

on PS5 I also bet all the cumbersome fucking slow ass OS shit of the PS4 is fixed right? because holy shit, I often almost died trying to save a cool clip in a multiplayer game. playing H1Z1 I once literally sat in a bush for 10 to 15 seconds WAITING for the damn greyed out square button to finally become highlighted so that i can freaking save the clip... that shit takes less than a second even on base Xbox One, so that instance was just awful. but 5 second waiting times are pretty normal on PS4, it's rare that it's much faster than that, but it is completely dependent on the game

Bo_Hazem

Banned
yeah like I said, for content creation the PlayStation recording system is way better. but for sharing stuff with friends the Xbox one is way better.

in a perfect world both would try to work towards bridging the gap on either side. I think Sony would have the easier job here tho. implementing a network internal auto upload feature shouldn't be hard, but they would need servers to host the clips.
microsoft on the other hand would need to completely rewrite the way the console records in the background, which would be harder and less likely to happen.

on PS5 I also bet all the cumbersome fucking slow ass OS shit of the PS4 is fixed right? because holy shit, I often almost died trying to save a cool clip in a multiplayer game. playing H1Z1 I once literally sat in a bush for 10 to 15 seconds WAITING for the damn greyed out square button to finally become highlighted so that i can freaking save the clip... that shit takes less than a second even on base Xbox One, so that instance was just awful. but 5 second waiting times are pretty normal on PS4, it's rare that it's much faster than that, but it is completely dependent on the game

Yeah it's instant on PS5, and don't remember having too much trouble on PS4 though. Also deleting those 8-10min 4K@60fps is instant as well. It should be something to do with SSD vs HDD as well.

Ive never used it on my ps5 and cant see me using it in future, i don't mind short clips such as good kills or something crazy happening.

Then the auto record capped at 30sec or 5min max should fit your need ;).

Banned
Yeah it's instant on PS5, and don't remember having too much trouble on PS4 though. Also deleting those 8-10min 4K@60fps is instant as well. It should be something to do with SSD vs HDD as well.

on PS4 I think if a game is online and stresses the hardware too much the OS simply slows to a crawl. some games record very fast, some extremely slow (that H1Z1 example was an extreme case on the slow end)

Connxtion

I normally just stream to twitch and the grab the VOD off the site after. As I can’t be bothered sticking a USB pen in to record and hour 😂

8BiTw0LF

Banned
On PS5 I use RemotePlay for streaming through StreamLabs OBS - only way to do it, if you want 4K/120fps displayed on your main screen.
If I'm posting a short video I use the PS5 for editing - not ShareFactory, or just highlight a clip from my stream. Longer videos (+5mins) i transfer to a USB and edit in Adobe Premiere.

Top Bottom