• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K HDR recording: 1 hour on PS5 (Internal) vs 1 hour on Xbox Series X (external)

Do you record your gameplay?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Internal recording on PS5 is really wonderful! Recording internally 4K@60fps HDR for up to 1 hour per clip vs only 30 seconds on Xbox Series X! A really embarrassing comparison. And I like how you can quickly delete the clip, start/stop recording via create button. You can record your voice over it (headset/dualsense) and/or have party chat voice if you're not into exhaustive editing:

Video might look slightly off because it's an HDR auto-recalibrated into SDR by youtube, and the HDR can be accessed if you're using the internal youtube app on your 4K HDR TV or if your PC/phone supports HDR. You can turn off HDR to record in SDR though:

02vYXwsW5CWWKPugBJh5bf3-3.fit_lim.size_1050x.jpg

76220_22_ps5-can-capture-up-to-1-hour-of-4k-gameplay-video-with-create-button_full.jpg

76220_23_ps5-can-capture-up-to-1-hour-of-4k-gameplay-video-with-create-button_full.jpg

What video length can I capture on PS5?

PS5 automatically captures the last 60 minutes of gameplay. To save the footage, you’ll press the Create button and select “save recent gameplay.” There, you can select as little as the last 15 seconds, up to the last 60 minutes of your play session.

PS5 automatically captures the past 60 minutes of your gameplay at 1080p resolution. 4K resolution is also available if you manually record your gameplay using the Create button.

Not sure if it can exceed 1 hour/clip but that's what's reported, but of course you can stream endlessly at 1080p@60fps:

On the other side:

Some game clips can be captured only in 4K HDR​

Clip resolution is fixed at 4K HDR for certain games on Xbox—even if you’ve selected a lower default resolution.
At 4K HDR, game clips can be up to 30 seconds when capturing to your console’s internal storage.

To record longer clips for the game you’re playing now, or to record at lower resolution, turn off HDR10 by pressing the Xbox button  to open the guide, going to Profile & system > Settings > General > TV & display options > Video modes, and then clearing the checkbox next to Allow HDR10.
Another way to record longer clips is to capture them to external storage. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, go to Profile & system > Settings > Preferences > Capture & share > Capture location, and then select an external storage device. Depending on available storage, external clips can be as long as 60 minutes.

So you can't even lower resolution of your recording on some games! This is a hinderance if you wanna casually record a clip without extra gear and upload to youtube (externally on PC or via your console). But if you wanna edit those 4K HDR clips then you really need a paid editor on PC which probably the cheapest one (and the best) is DaVinci Resolve Studio at $300 (one time payment, I'm buying that myself anyway for other usage) or use those expensive subscriptions for others.

Here the free Sharefactory Studio comes in handy:

I think this should boost content creators on budget, and even casually upload something on youtube/twitter etc. There is literally no hardware bottleneck, I believe, on Xbox Series X to have that ridiculous 30sec cap!

A helpful video to compare internal vs external recording on PS5:

EDIT: Helpful details from kyliethicc kyliethicc :

The PS5 is constantly recording the last 60 mins of your gameplay, automatically. But its not saved unless you tell it to save a clip.

You can press the create button at any time and save a recent clip, up to 60 mins. You select from a menu how long you want the clip to be.

c8CuyWw.jpg

E7B4TY0.jpg

Or you can manually tell the system to begin/end recording a clip for higher quality.

Its 1080p60 SDR/HDR for the auto record, while manual recordings are 4K60 SDR/HDR.

Htl5uRt.jpg
8UxhqiE.jpg
gmmV0iH.jpg

Last edited:

Three

I only just recently made a recording of me cheesing Gondul on GMGOW difficulty. You can kill her without her even attacking you.

Was pleasantly suprised at how well the feature is implemented on the PS5. Didn't even have to pause my game and I was playing back the video. Does it have some separate video processor or something or are some cores dedicated to this?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think you can record to internal in 4k? Or maybe it was like that at the launch, the record options is poor. But you can hook the external drive and that it's unlimited recording (before you run out of the storage), I believe. But what sucks is super slow upload, which really grind my gears, when I want to share the clip.

Also it's H.264 not HEVC, which does not make sense, when the GPU has it's acceleration built in.

kyliethicc

I use the video clip recording feature on PS4 a lot, its a cool feature that works well.

Only issue on PS4 is it doesn't record in HDR, so games played in HDR but then recorded in SDR often have color and contrast errors.

It seems like they fixed that on PS5, good to hear.

I never personally use this stuff but I must say, this is one area where Sony are wiping the floor with xbox. Pretty crazy stuff.
Yeah Sony definitely took time to ensure there are plenty of options when it comes to recording gameplay. It looks like MS spent its time working on things like quick resume and doing fps boost. Maybe they'll come back around to increasing the amount of time you can record video later.

Last edited:

elliot5

While I don't use any recording or ShareFactory stuff, it's cool that it's there for those who want to use it. I typically only do the clips when something weird happens to me or if there was some sick play that just occurred.

Karak

I hate this. I did try to get MS to discuss it but nothing. I did have a couple hardware folks thinking it may have to do with MS's ideas on the NVME and writing to the same spot all the time(though not sure how they allocate it) and maybe worries about long term safety to the NVME style memory. I don't know. I just know it sucks donkey balls

pasterpl

Internal recording on PS5 is really wonderful! Recording 4K@60fps HDR for up to 1 hour per clip vs only 30 seconds on Xbox Series X! A really embarrassing comparison. And I like how you can quickly delete the clip, start/stop recording via create button. You can record your voice over it (headset/dualsense) and/or have party chat voice if you're not into exhaustive editing:

Video might look slightly off because it's an HDR auto-recalibrated into SDR by youtube, and the HDR can be accessed if you're using the internal youtube app on your 4K HDR TV or if your PC/phone supports HDR. You can turn off HDR to record in SDR though:

02vYXwsW5CWWKPugBJh5bf3-3.fit_lim.size_1050x.jpg

76220_22_ps5-can-capture-up-to-1-hour-of-4k-gameplay-video-with-create-button_full.jpg

76220_23_ps5-can-capture-up-to-1-hour-of-4k-gameplay-video-with-create-button_full.jpg

What video length can I capture on PS5?

PS5 automatically captures the last 60 minutes of gameplay. To save the footage, you’ll press the Create button and select “save recent gameplay.” There, you can select as little as the last 15 seconds, up to the last 60 minutes of your play session.

PS5 automatically captures the past 60 minutes of your gameplay at 1080p resolution. 4K resolution is also available if you manually record your gameplay using the Create button.

Not sure if it can exceed 1 hour/clip but that's what's reported, but of course you can stream endlessly at 1080p@60fps:

On the other side:

Some game clips can be captured only in 4K HDR​

Clip resolution is fixed at 4K HDR for certain games on Xbox—even if you’ve selected a lower default resolution.
At 4K HDR, game clips can be up to 30 seconds when capturing to your console’s internal storage.

To record longer clips for the game you’re playing now, or to record at lower resolution, turn off HDR10 by pressing the Xbox button  to open the guide, going to Profile & system > Settings > General > TV & display options > Video modes, and then clearing the checkbox next to Allow HDR10.
Another way to record longer clips is to capture them to external storage. Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, go to Profile & system > Settings > Preferences > Capture & share > Capture location, and then select an external storage device. Depending on available storage, external clips can be as long as 60 minutes.

So you can't even lower resolution of your recording on some games! This is a hinderance if you wanna casually record a clip without extra gear and upload to youtube (externally on PC or via your console). But if you wanna edit those 4K HDR clips then you really need a paid editor on PC which probably the cheapest one (and the best) is DaVinci Resolve Studio at $300 (one time payment, I'm buying that myself anyway for other usage) or use those expensive subscriptions for others.

Here the free Sharefactory Studio comes in handy:

I think this should boost content creators on budget, and even casually upload something on youtube/twitter etc. There is literally no hardware bottleneck, I believe, on Xbox Series X to have that ridiculous 30sec cap!

You can record up to 1h 4k@60fps but only onto external hdd on Xbox series x.

should I create a thread on how embarrassing it is that I cannot record onto external hdd on PlayStation?/s

op if you wanted to do a proper comparison you should have compared all available options on both system, otherwise your op looks like trolling

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I use it for some cool gifs on occassion. Don't use sharefactory though. I'd be interested if they improved the 'trim' editor on those filesizes. On my Pro it used to stall when knocking 3 minute clips down to 5 second intervals and 1 second used to hang the machine.

What’s the file size for 1h of gameplay???

From tweaktown: 12 minutes of 3840 x 2160 resolution footage in Assassin's Creed Valhalla took up 3.12GB. So on those metrics: 1 hour = ~16GB

Overall though the responsiveness of sharing, screenshotting and editing is much easier on the PlayStation. I actually love how easy it is.
On the flip side I like how you can upload to xbox live and it's available in app and on the desktop companion instantly.

I don't think the xbox does particularly well when previewing HDR or SDR content on different modes, looks really extreme and lighting is harsh.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What's embarrassing is the lack of hdd space. It's pitiful and makes having to stop what you are doing to record and edit you clips just so you can have the hard drive space back.

Esppiral

Are you sure it's only limited to 30 seconds?.... Because I can start a recording and it records until I stop it ... Granted I have and external HDD plug in for that.

pasterpl

Wait so you can record 1hour long clips on xbox if you just save it to one of the many HDD you can have hooked up?

Why would you want to eat away at your SSD space with vid clips?
Yes, 4k@60fps 1h clips can be recorded on external hdd, on Xbox, don’t think this is possible on PlayStation

i can see the mods changed the title

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Here comes the meta reply!

I really like recording my Assassination's of the elusive targets in Hitman 3. They are unique and fun so that is all I record.

Sweet! If you have some to share post them ;)

playstation has a much better sharing and recording system than xbox. even trying to do clips on xbox the audio is often out of sync, wish it was better.

The audio sync is pretty problematic and would need more post editing. Thanks for sharing, mate!

While I have no general interest in this feature whatsoever, Sony definitely slaughters Microsoft in this regard. No debate there.

For most people, even MS, everyone is using it to some extent, at least for crash reports (helps devs pinpoint where to check).

I use this all the time, 4K 60fps capture without a capture card? and built in video editor that allows custom music and various effects. Very nice.

It legit passes me off my series X can't, one of the reasons I stick to PS5.

Yeah I used the sharefactory back in 2015 on my PS4, it's easy to use back then. This one actually offers a massive perk that even professional youtubers would find it handy, which is 4K HDR support that is only supported in expensive external apps on PC.

Sony's experience in this field has helped, they had Sony Vegas for years (used it while I was filming for Oman TV) and now they have a new one, but I don't use it because it's subscription-based:

Using DaVinci Resolve 17 and will upgrade to Studio ($300) soon.

All i know is, after watching that video, I hope my Uber Driver is BO.

Then I'll tie you tight so you don't jump off.

drunk road trip GIF by MK

I only just recently made a recording of me cheesing Gondul on GMGOW difficulty. You can kill her without her even attacking you.

Was pleasantly suprised at how well the feature is implemented on the PS5. Didn't even have to pause my game and I was playing back the video. Does it have some separate video processor or something or are some cores dedicated to this?

Not sure how it's done, is it on the CPU or what's left from the Tempest Engine, it's still a neat feature.

I don't think you can record to internal in 4k? Or maybe it was like that at the launch, the record options is poor. But you can hook the external drive and that it's unlimited recording (before you run out of the storage), I believe. But what sucks is super slow upload, which really grind my gears, when I want to share the clip.

Also it's H.264 not HEVC, which does not make sense, when the GPU has it's acceleration built in.

You mean on Xbox? It's available on both like that since launch, but Sony has taken away the MP4 option for HDR at least and only record in WebM, which is the main format of youtube and very efficient storage-wise. It's also H.265 by default, which can be problematic on PC if you don't have a beefy one. Sharefactory seems the best option so far unless you wanna go SDR.

I use the video clip recording feature on PS4 a lot, its a cool feature that works well.

Only issue on PS4 is it doesn't record in HDR, so games played in HDR but then recorded in SDR often have color and contrast errors.

It seems like they fixed that on PS5, good to hear.

Yeah youtube seems to do a good job overall, not perfect, at making an SDR version of the videos you upload as well.

I never personally use this stuff but I must say, this is one area where Sony are wiping the floor with xbox. Pretty crazy stuff.

I don't see any reason Xbox doesn't allow that myself.

anotherone.gif

Excellent post, Bo. That's a big difference that I wasn't expecting. I expect Share Factory to become even better in a year or two.

This is the new sharefactory app, gives you so much actually and you can work on it totally.

Yeah Sony definitely took time to ensure there are plenty of options when it comes to recording gameplay. It looks like MS spent its time working on things like quick resume and doing fps boost. Maybe they'll come back around to increasing the amount of time you can record video later.

Quick resume seems to be using the partition space vs records go to the available space though.

While I don't use any recording or ShareFactory stuff, it's cool that it's there for those who want to use it. I typically only do the clips when something weird happens to me or if there was some sick play that just occurred.

Yeah that's why a 10-60 minutes auto-record at 1080@60fps comes in handy for backward recording.

I don't record or stream any gameplay, as I'm no longer a teenage scrote.

On a serious note, no I don't record any gameplay and wish the system resources dedicated to it could be freed up.

Won't be much, I believe, but not sure if it's done by the CPU or the Tempest (which only uses half it's power for audio, the rest for assisting other game-related calculations if the devs wanted).

What’s the file size for 1h of gameplay???

clip-size.jpg

Around ~3.2GB per 10min so it's around 19.2GB for 60min.

I haven't used either, this seems crazy, why would ms do this?

Not sure, really. Some camera makers made 29min cap on their still cameras to avoid the cinema/video camera taxes, now they're using it to cripple them and make the more expensive cameras more appealing like Canon.

think my ps4 hdd had a bunch of clips I accidently recorded.

Can we do a cloud storage comparison next Bo?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Several threads have done that already.

I hate this. I did try to get MS to discuss it but nothing. I did have a couple hardware folks thinking it may have to do with MS's ideas on the NVME and writing to the same spot all the time(though not sure how they allocate it) and maybe worries about long term safety to the NVME style memory. I don't know. I just know it sucks donkey balls

Happy to see a pro here! That's an interesting input, could be. Also the 2x lanes (instead of 4x on normal NVMe) and the 2 priority levels could be conflicting there? Not sure.

Wow that's actually pretty fucking cool.

Yup, easy way to share.

should I create a thread on how embarrassing it is that I cannot record onto external hdd on PlayStation?/s

op if you wanted to do a proper comparison you should have compared all available options on both system, otherwise your op looks like trolling

All data has been shared on the OP but you prefer to whine instead.

Wait so you can record 1hour long clips on xbox if you just save it to one of the many HDD you can have hooked up?

Why would you want to eat away at your SSD space with vid clips?

Because you can delete them after uploading/moving them away?

I use an external recorder(Elgato HD60) and none of these internal solutions will top it for quality, ease of use and it has zero effect on the console itself as the PC and cap card handle it all.

If you use the internal recorders or editors you are a heathen.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is one area where Sony has MS beat for the last 7 years now.

Lets hope MS shares their super secret 60-120 fps magic with Sony in exchange for Sony's support for share features.

dj-khaled-owl.jpg

I think I have mine set to 3 minutes.

I was told that the auto-recording for PS5 is 1080p/60. For 4K/60 you have to manually start the recording. Is that wrong? Sorry if I missed it in the OP.

So for Series you just use the external for recording longer clips?

Regardless, I do appreciate how easy it is to share clips and pics from my PS5. I wonder if we see the Create button expanded even further as the gen goes on.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I never really use this feature on xbox - mostly because it sucks yes

does the ps5 save the last HOUR when you press record?!! Xbox does 3 minutes :(

Yeah 1 hour of backrecording is pretty crazy, I think they're using some of that PS5 reserved space for it. That's only in 1080p@60fps though.

I use it for some cool gifs on occassion. Don't use sharefactory though. I'd be interested if they improved the 'trim' editor on those filesizes. On my Pro it used to stall when knocking 3 minute clips down to 5 second intervals and 1 second used to hang the machine.

From tweaktown: 12 minutes of 3840 x 2160 resolution footage in Assassin's Creed Valhalla took up 3.12GB. So on those metrics: 1 hour = ~16GB

Overall though the responsiveness of sharing, screenshotting and editing is much easier on the PlayStation. I actually love how easy it is.
On the flip side I like how you can upload to xbox live and it's available in app and on the desktop companion instantly.

I don't think the xbox does particularly well when previewing HDR or SDR content on different modes, looks really extreme and lighting is harsh.

I think if you crush a clip from 3 min to 5 seconds that'll cripple even high end PC's. I have Ryzen 7 2700x and Radeon VII and doing so will make the clip impossible to preview even at quarter of the quality proxy.

Seems like sizes will be different from locations to another, 16-20GB per hour is pretty good overall. The video should look like this on SDR, similar to D-Log flat format for those videographers out there:

vlcsnap-2021-05-09-12h06m25s015.png

VLC player view it a bit crushed like this:

sadsaddd.png

And youtube:

sadsaddd-youtube.png

None are 100% accurate at trasforming it to SDR but at least Youtube does a good job and makes 2 versions to be viewed in HDR or SDR according to your TV/monitor/PC/smartphone.

Streaming from the PS5 is easier and better aswell.

This are really two things aswell as an Achievements overhaul, i wanna see from Xbox.

Didn't try streaming on PS5 yet, but 1080p@60fps is pretty decent:

What's embarrassing is the lack of hdd space. It's pitiful and makes having to stop what you are doing to record and edit you clips just so you can have the hard drive space back.

If you have that problem then you already have much more problems to deal with than that. I suggest you check the trophy storage as those clips can take some hefty space without you knowing. I've turned that feature off and only let the screenshots for trophies. Video clips for trophies are on by default.

Are you sure it's only limited to 30 seconds?.... Because I can start a recording and it records until I stop it ... Granted I have and external HDD plug in for that.

It's explained in the title and the OP. We're talking about internal recording.

I use an external recorder(Elgato HD60) and none of these internal solutions will top it for quality, ease of use and it has zero effect on the console itself as the PC and cap card handle it all.

If you use the internal recorders or editors you are a heathen.

200.gif

My PS5 was out of space by January... Ill take the external option if I had to do it.

Ok, check out the trophy storage and turn off the trophy clip recording if you don't use it, it takes gigabytes and many don't know about it.

This is one area where Sony has MS beat for the last 7 years now.

Lets hope MS shares their super secret 60-120 fps magic with Sony in exchange for Sony's support for share features.

Some on budget would have all access on PS5 to make great content without the need of a PC, nor most PC can handle 4K HDR properly to begin with.

I think I have mine set to 3 minutes.

I was told that the auto-recording for PS5 is 1080p/60. For 4K/60 you have to manually start the recording. Is that wrong? Sorry if I missed it in the OP.

So for Series you just use the external for recording longer clips?

Yes, the auto-recording is 1080@60fps up to 60min backwards. 4K@60fps HDR is up to 60min manually via create button (start/stop).

Yes, for Series use external for 4K because 30sec cap isn't even a funny joke. But some games don't allow you to record below 4K HDR internally, so 1080p isn't always an option on XSX.

Vick

Gold Member
This feature on PS4 is simply amazing, i've used it all the time for years and it really is pure perfection. You record, cut and save videos in mere seconds, to be right back in the game in no time. 10/10

However i think the whole thing was slightly downgraded on PS5. I don't like the design, cutting videos is more tricky/less precise, and i'm not confortable knowing the SSD is constantly recording.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This feature on PS4 is simply amazing, i've used it all the time for years and it really is pure perfection. You record, cut and save videos in mere seconds, to be right back in the game in no time. 10/10

However i think the whole thing was slightly downgraded on PS5. I don't like the design, cutting videos is more tricky/less precise, and i'm not confortable knowing the SSD is constantly recording.

You shouldn't really be worried as high end SSD's tend to last beyond what you need:

• SLC: Single-level cell NAND flash supports 50,000 to 100,000 write cycles.

Let’s look at the Samsung 850 Pro line, built with 3D V-NAND. Capacities include 128GB, 256GB, 512GB; and 1, 2, and 4TB. Samsung calculates the TBW by drive capacity. It offers a 10-year warranty if the writes are less than TBW maximums.

• 256 GB: 150 TBW
  • 512 GB and 1 TB: 300 TBW
  • 2 TB: 450 TBW
  • 4 TB: 600 TBW

pasterpl

But if you wanna edit those 4K HDR clips then you really need a paid editor on PC which probably the cheapest one (and the best) is DaVinci Resolve Studio at $300 (one time payment, I'm buying that myself anyway for other usage) or use those expensive subscriptions for others.
Wouldn’t Microsoft video editor be sufficient, I think it has most of the functions that sharefactory has, and it is free with every windows 10

THEAP99

Banned
The ps5 and even the ps4 have great sharing features. Very easy to put the videos from capture gallery onto a flash drive and transfer it to the computer too. I just wish there was easier way to view captures on mobile and download them

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wouldn’t Microsoft video editor be sufficient, I think it has most of the functions that sharefactory has, and it is free with every windows 10

It can't edit 4K AFAIK, and 100% not HDR or I would've used it few years back when trying to find a proper, free editor. DaVinic Resolve 17 (the free version) can allow up to 4K@60fps in 8-bit only.

Also most people don't own PC's like a decade ago.

Last edited:

Krizalidx11

Banned
Although it's a nice feature but i would prefer an external capture card like Avermedia 4k live gamer which can push more bitrate and HDR10 level of capture

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Although it's a nice feature but i would prefer an external capture card like Avermedia 4k live gamer which can push more bitrate and HDR10 level of capture

It's already HDR10 internally on PS5, but the bitrate is lower than on external capture cards (much smaller in file size as well), matching youtube and probably vimeo. No matter what you do the final results will be ruined by youtube compression, unless you're after releasing direct feed downloads.

Iced Arcade

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Top Bottom