• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4D Movies

So, it seems like we finally have 4D movies in Las Vegas. I think it was the Boulevard Mall that had the new Thor film in 4dx or whatever they call it.

So my understanding is the seats move and you can smell the water and the fire and so on and so forth.

In other words, it sounds like one of those IMAX rides from the 90s but it's a triple A big budget movie like Thor.

In fact, Love and Thunder was one of the movies that was in 4dx.

For those of you who live in Las Vegas, the Boulevard Mall apparently has a movie theater now that has the 4dx.

I don't live too far from there and in fact I'm only about a bus ride or two away.

I figure one movie that's probably going to sport 4dx this year is going to be Avatar 2.

Should I go see it? I have never been to a 4dx movie before and it just sounds like a lot of fun and I was a big fan of IMAX rides back in the 90s. Like, they had one at the Luxor that was incredible called In Search of the Obelisk. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had.

Doom85

I’m not sure I need my senses enhanced like that for a film viewing.

Although, Thor 4? I mean, if they can manipulate my senses to such an extreme that I legit believe Natalie Portman and Tessa Thompson are right besides me, that would easily be worth the price of admission.

Happy Oh Yeah GIF

Pejo

My local theater has DBOX seats, which is like 2/3 of what you described. I just saw Top Gun Maverick there, and it really enhances the experience. I'm sure 4dx would do even more. You'll have to update us if you go, OP.

Alcibiades

I go to 4DX movies often, but usually only after having done a "regular" IMAX or Dolby screening. There has been a couple of times I went to 4DX for a first viewing, but it's rare because there is a possibility the movement and stimulation will be too distracting. I figure it's best to give a movie a chance on its own as the director intended for first impressions. Also, I never do 3D 4DX, only 2D, if that makes sense.

All that said, it can be a really fun time. The experience can vary wildly depending on the movie. Like Top Gun did feel like an amusement ride at times, while Scream didnt quite so much. It's fun if you know what you are getting into.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I go to 4DX movies often, but usually only after having done a "regular" IMAX or Dolby screening. There has been a couple of times I went to 4DX for a first viewing, but it's rare because there is a possibility the movement and stimulation will be too distracting. I figure it's best to give a movie a chance on its own as the director intended for first impressions. Also, I never do 3D 4DX, only 2D, if that makes sense.

All that said, it can be a really fun time. The experience can vary wildly depending on the movie. Like Top Gun did feel like an amusement ride at times, while Scream didnt quite so much. It's fun if you know what you are getting into.
how much do they cost ?

Am I missing something? Isn't 4dx like at least 4 years old by now? I don't remember what movie I've seen in 4DX, but the novelty wears off after like the 10th punch in your back.

Mistake

Am I missing something? Isn't 4dx like at least 4 years old by now? I don't remember what movie I've seen in 4DX, but the novelty wears off after like the 10th punch in your back.
A lot older than that. I saw something similar at a science museum about 16 years ago, and the 3D was great. The only interesting 3D nowadays in movies are the subtitles

Last edited:

Alcibiades

how much do they cost ?
About $22 for a regular showing. There are also times (like this past weekend) where they do away with the premium charge and only charge regular price (About $8-$10). Also, some special events where they show older movies are cheaper.

I have Regal Unlimited ($22/month for unlimited movies) so I pay about $9-$10 each time I go, which is basically the upcharge, which lessons the blow of the cost.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I’m not sure I need my senses enhanced like that for a film viewing.

Although, Thor 4? I mean, if they can manipulate my senses to such an extreme that I legit believe Natalie Portman and Tessa Thompson are right besides me, that would easily be worth the price of admission.

Happy Oh Yeah GIF
I've little doubt that in Vegas you could find yourself next to some, in a VERY dark theater perhaps, gender-fluid versions of Portman and Thompson for just a few bucks :p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I heard the Jurrasic World Dominion 4DX really enhanced the experience. You get sprayed with liquid shit the entire movie and the seat movement really makes you feel like a bunch of Hollywood execs just fucked you.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They still don't have those kinds of theaters here. I need to drive a few hours north into richie richville for that.

sobaka770

Banned
I went once to such experience and I hated it very much.

When I go to a movie I want to appreciate cinematography, story, sound - you know - the movie. Moving chairs, flashing lights and pouring water only detract from that experience. It's like a cheap rollercoaster ride. Moreover the 4DX room I was in had a terrible projector and passable audio at best. It's like they paid for the chairs and saved on everything else charging double for tickets, while the picture and sound were better on my TV.

IMAX/Dolby Cinema is the way.

trikster40

I saw It Chapter 2 in 4D, waste of money. I don’t recommend it. It jars you too often and pulls you out of just watching and enjoying.

None of them hold a candle to that old Alien Encounters theme park 4D experience. Perfect use of animatronics, 4D senses and creating an atmosphere for the audience to shit themselves in. You went down the seated elevator, a friendly looking alien started inside a huge tube in the centre with the audience encompassing it 360 degrees and then boom alien inside then lights out to pitch black and smashing glass let you know it got loose. Full 3D audio and breath on your neck as it scampered around the room insanely fast and unseen in the dark. A shot of air as it huffed directly in your face, with bad breath and a mist spray to let you know it was inches from your face. Something dripped on your head, you jumped. Something brushed your leg from under your seat, you jumped and pulled your legs up. Strobing lights flickered just enough for you, the audience, to have a sense of what was going on while your own imagination got the best of you. Military emergency sounds and lights as well as actors filled the room from all directions.

As a kid this ride/experience was the best 4D has ever been since inception. Manic, panic, fear of the unknown, just enough shown and combined with the core effects of 4D such as the vertical platform movement (audience seating elevator). It just left everything to your own imagination and literally you felt targeted and alone in that room as the lights failed and you, the audience, escaped with your lives.

This video doesn't do the experience justice but gives you an idea. Far better in person. Disney had to remove it due to complaints of being too thrill scare based for kids.

A great behind the scenes of how it worked -

Last edited:
Top Bottom