• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd party manufactuers cheaped out on RTX3080 filter caps, stability of cards affected.

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
ASUS ROG Strix has 6 MLCC's on the RTX 3080 (Skip to 4:04)

according to ASUS ROG on Facebook, the ASUS Strix models come out on Monday September 28th to retailers

per DerBauer:

Last edited:

Senua

Why not just wait a couple of months to see what's going to on? Why mostly people who already have good cards decide to jump in so fast? Buying anything at launch is risky for pretty much any kind of electronic device nowadays.

If you wait you'll have safer options, possibly better prices and a less stressful life. It's so fucking easy.
I've learned from reading the Ampere OT that people are mad impatient lol.

eCCa9En.png

His money at the end of the day but dayum.

Trimesh

Banned
Yeah, because multiple suppliers "just happened" to get the decoupling wrong all at the same time.

This sounds a lot like "nVidia fucked up the required decoupling specs in the datasheet" to me - and it's just that some vendors decided to add more just in case.

Compsiox

Banned
After the 2080ti launch, definitely seems like it's better to wait. I know that was Nvidia's fault but still. Too much money to be shafted by stuff like this.

Why not just wait a couple of months to see what's going to on? Why mostly people who already have good cards decide to jump in so fast? Buying anything at launch is risky for pretty much any kind of electronic device nowadays.

If you wait you'll have safer options, possibly better prices and a less stressful life. It's so fucking easy.

Thats where I’m at. I’m just gonna wait it out. I need to update two GPUs and I’m not going thru a bunch of BS to find stable cards. I’ll just finish my Sim Rig and chill on the GPU.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, because multiple suppliers "just happened" to get the decoupling wrong all at the same time.

This sounds a lot like "nVidia fucked up the required decoupling specs in the datasheet" to me - and it's just that some vendors decided to add more just in case.
Actually it sounds more like the AIB partners pushed the clocks too high without upgrading the hardware enough to handle it. They would have been fine if they kept the reference clocks with the reference designs.

Reactions: GHG

Trimesh

Banned
Actually it sounds more like the AIB partners pushed the clocks too high without upgrading the hardware enough to handle it. They would have been fine if they kept the reference clocks with the reference designs.

Really not plausible. Sure, if it was one or a few vendors then that might be a reasonable conclusion - but not when it's essentially everyone. If you have a whole bunch of vendors that took the same design data and the same reference design and managed to make the same "mistake" it just sounds like the design never had enough margin in the first place.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Really not plausible. Sure, if it was one or a few vendors then that might be a reasonable conclusion - but not when it's essentially everyone. If you have a whole bunch of vendors that took the same design data and the same reference design and managed to make the same "mistake" it just sounds like the design never had enough margin in the first place.

You just made all of that up. Your drive.., is it wishful thinking?

Trimesh

Banned
You just made all of that up. Your drive.., is it wishful thinking?

I'm an electronic engineer. If you give a bunch of companies the same design data and they come up with products that all have the same problems I can't think of any explanation other than the data being wrong. Seriously, if you think the "explanation" that all these companies that have previously made large numbers of cards that worked correctly suddenly all fucked up their designs in the same way is plausible then maybe you would be interested in buying this bridge I have for sale?

Top Bottom