• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS series production ended in Japan

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
That little machine had one hell of run. My wife has one and I regret not borrowing it more often now I’ve finally got into the world of Nintendo.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's sad, because I love my New 3DS XL which is now in the "I hope this never breaks" category of older game consoles I own.

The DS and 3DS had an amazing library of games - like Dragon Quest IV through IX. While my favorite series (Final Fantasy) was pretty unrepresented outside of the remakes for III and IV, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call remains one of the games in the series I've put the most time into. Some of my other favorites include Fantasy Life, Bravely Default, and A Link Between Worlds.

Arkam

Had some great games and I put a lot of hours into mine....but was my least favorite Nintendo Handheld. Such a poor design across the board. Wasted money on 3d screen that most just turned off. Wasted money on dual cameras that were basically not used. ONE stick? Seriously who approved that in the 21st century? Making a game machine based around 3D and you dont give proper 3d movement/camera controls?

Luckily Nintendo got their heads out of their asses with the Switch. Which i think is the bees knees!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I still have mine and I have debated selling it. I have a special edition one so they still go for a decent amount. 3DS was so legit tho.

ExpandKong

Banned
The thing has a phenomenal library all on its own, plus the entirety of the DS's legendary back catalog of games. Then if you wanna get creative with it there's quite a bit you can emulate on it (specifically the New 3/2DS).

It's a beast. I even like the 3D effect. Still play on mine once or twice a week.

Kid Icarus Uprising is one of the best games of the last decade don't @ me with your weak wrist problems.

Codes 208

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Digging The Rock GIF by WWE

SegaShack

Last year my Wii U died and the company wouldn't do repairs on it either as it's EOL. Luckily found one on Offer Up for cheap the same day.

Paltheos

I'd like to say 'good night, sweet prince', but I don't have as many fond memories with my 3DS as with my other handhelds. Gameboy, Advance, OG DS, and of course our lord and savior the Vita all stir up fonder memories. I put in plenty of time with my 3DS too - I'm just not as impressed by the library.

SegaShack

That's surprising. I thought Nintendo would do repairs for years after EOL.
Yes, was very unfortunate. I'm thankful they still had a way to do account transfers via phone, my old system was dead so I couldnt migrate anything from it the standard way.

Mexen

I may have to buy a couple more soon. Great little device that made going to the bank bearable.

Arkam

Loved my 3DS.... but still surprised it did as well as it did considering the poor design decisions. The 3D screen was a waste as most eventually just turned it off. Could have had a higher res screen for cheaper. And how could anyone approve a "3D" handheld without dual analog sticks?

But in the end I played my 3DS a lot. It traveled with me on all my trips.... well until the Switch launched.

Agent X

Last year my Wii U died and the company wouldn't do repairs on it either as it's EOL. Luckily found one on Offer Up for cheap the same day.

It's somewhat surprising that Nintendo is ceasing repairs "early", relatively speaking. If I recall, NES and Super NES both had repair service available for around 15-20 years after release, which was exceptionally long in the video game industry. (To be honest, 10 years isn't shabby at all--it just looks that way when compared to some past Nintendo systems.)

One possible reason is that NES/SNES had much simpler designs with less exotic parts. The newer systems are more complex. Some components, such as the screens used in the 3DS and the Wii U Game Pad, might be getting scarce.

The video also mentions that repair service is only ending for the original "old" 3DS and 3DS XL systems. The New 3DS and New 3DS XL, and also the 2DS systems, are not affected.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just set up my R4i card today and made some CIA files for some GBA games; Pokémon FR, Emerald, Banjo Kazooie Grunty’s Revenge and Banjo Pilot.

It’s the ultimate retro machine IMO. I have every Zelda game from NES, SNES, Game Boy Colour, GBA, DS and 3DS.

It’s the perfect complimentary system to the Switch IMO. Switch for games like Astral Chain, Octopath, Breath of the Wild etc but grab a 3DS and for games like Captain Toad, Xenoblade and Animal Crossing, all the Pokémon games, Zelda games, Mario, all your retro games. So easy to ‘hack’.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Bought one during quarantine so I could play SMT IV. Games is sick, loved everything about it, but after that and aside from some great Nintendo games, like Mario 3D Land or Zelda ALBW, I haven't been too impressed by it's library.

Maybe it's just me but I remember the DS library being far stronger than the 3DS one.

Zero7

Man 10 years sure flies by. It only feels like yesterday since I waited outside Game to pick mine up at midnight, it was the last midnight console launch I ever went to. Got Ridge Racer 3D, Pilot wings and Street fighter. Good times

Top Bottom