• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Sonic games have always been bad

3D Sonic games are bad

• Yes

Votes: 117 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 98 45.6%

• Total voters

MMaRsu

Banned
Sadly I wasnt able to post in the Sonic thread anymore, just bc I dont like any of the 3D Sonic games im supposed to be a troll or a hater.

at this point, it's obvious this RyuCookingRice guy is a troll. who else comes to a thread about a series they don't like, and shit on it? specially if it's a series as infamous as Sonic?
Oh yeah im a troll 😂. A series I dont like? I grew up with Sonic and loved his games. Until they went 3D chasing that Mario64 clout, and fucked it all up.

Then it became anime for kids, with terrible stories, voice acting, bad platforming, boost gameplay (hit A to win), and generally bad level design.

Just because I hate almost all 3D sonic games doesnt mean I hate Sonic.

In fact I love Sonic and thats why Im so angry that SEGA isnt doing him justice, and you people making excuses for SEGA about how the 3D games are good are part of the problem.

In this case Ill make a poll and ask the rest of Neogaf. Are any of the 3D Sonic games any good? I feel they arent and SEGA is throwing away Sonics legacy with these awful 3D bad platforming titles.

Please dont close the topic, I mean it as a serious question and Im NOT trolling.

GrayFoxPL

I get it. Most modern 3D Sonic games are bad. If i was to choose, it's 2D all the time.

But Sonic Adventure 1&2 is great. The only thing that annoys me is cutscenes and lack of easy level select.

Sonic Generations is also good fun.

Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn is a masterpiece. I would give a kidney for a hd remaster.

MMaRsu

Banned
I get it. Most modern 3D Sonic games are bad. If i was to choose, it's 2D all the time.

But Sonic Adventure 1&2 is great. The only thing that annoys me is cutscenes and lack of easy level select.

Sonic Generations is also good fun.

Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn is a masterpiece. I would give a kidney for a hd remaster.

I had Sonic 3D Blast or Flickys Island however it was called for the Megadrive.. man that game is terrible! My thumb hurt after just a bit of playing! The isometric view isnt bad perse but the game just was bad imo as well.

GrayFoxPL

I had Sonic 3D Blast or Flickys Island however it was called for the Megadrive.. man that game is terrible! My thumb hurt after just a bit of playing! The isometric view isnt bad perse but the game just was bad imo as well.
Ha! I specifically did not mention Mega drive version for this reason. It's was just not good. Saturn version was way better to control, play and just simply enjoy.

Banned
this one's good, but for some reason people disliked it.

R507c9f6dee39103cfd3c627811dc5dc3

tight controls, good camera, good Leveldesign and 60fps on console

it had bad boss fights I guess, and some of the wisp powers were meh, but other than that it's absolutely the best 3D Sonic

cireza

Banned
OP reached the highest level of despair possible and created this thread as a response to someone, because answering in the original thread was not enough.

3D Sonic games have been pretty awesome since Unleashed, but OP can't get over the fact that the games are not tailored specifically for him.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Unfortunatelly is true. The transition to Adventure was terrible and its a terrible experience overall. After that, things only got worse.

It only got a bit better because of boost since those sections are basically a straightline, so theres not much of work to be done here. And I'm a fan of Colors and Generations, but speed isn't something that goes well with plataforming.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I hated Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. They were terrible to me.
Give me Mario 64 and Sunshine any day.

Also Sonic 1&2 over Mario 1&2 anyday lol

Birdo

Banned
It's all because Sonic is associated with speed, and it doesn't translate well to a 3D platformer.

Whitecrow

Banned
Adventure 1 was amazing. Did it age badly? Maybe. Things change and evolve. We cant judge a game from 20 years ago with today standards. That's a bit silly.
Adventure 2 was worst. I think we can all agree there. But still a good game.

Sonic Heroes depends on you point of view. A part of it was incredibly amazing.
OST and level design were god tier. And the constant blanter between the characters elevated the experience quite a bit.
And yes the controls were awful in certain situations but serviceable for most of the time. The story was very poorly told but I dont give a fuck about it because
it's not the focus of the game, it's just there as an excuse for the existence of the stages.
And also I personally dont give a fuck about any team besides Sonic's and Shadow's.

With this mindset you can get tons of great fun out of the game.
Flawed? Yes. Bad? Not really.

And that could apply to every Sonic game.
The Sonic franchise is known for having important flaws, but in the moments where the games work, they are really fun.

So I wouldnt say bad. I would say every game have flaws and lacking polish.

Adventure 1 was amazing. Did it age badly? Maybe. Things change and evolve. We cant judge a game from 20 years ago with today standards. That's a bit silly.
Adventure 2 was worst. I think we can all agree there. But still a good game.

Sonic Heroes depends on you point of view. A part of it was incredibly amazing.
OST and level design were god tier. And the constant blanter between the characters elevated the experience quite a bit.
And yes the controls were awful in certain situations but serviceable for most of the time. The story was very poorly told but I dont give a fuck about it because
it's not the focus of the game, it's just there as an excuse for the existence of the stages.
And also I personally dont give a fuck about any team besides Sonic's and Shadow's.

With this mindset you can get tons of great fun out of the game.
Flawed? Yes. Bad? Not really.

And that could apply to every Sonic game.
The Sonic franchise is known for having important flaws, but in the moments where the games work, they are really fun.

So I wouldnt say bad. I would say every game have flaws and lacking polish.
Sonic Adventure isn't bad because it just aged poorly it was also featured a lot of what felt like filler with a bunch of characters that were basically gimmicks. Does anyone actually enjoy playing as Big the Cat? To make it worse every time the game got ported to another system it became more and more unstable. Every port introduced more glitches, broken textures and arguably worse character models. Not to say the game as a whole is bad just when you want to play a Sonic game with good sense of speed and platforming then you are thrown into a shooting game as a robot it just doesn't work.
Sonic Adventure 2 I believe suffered from a similar issue. Knuckles/Rouge stages were made worse in the game making it a chore to find the emerald pieces. Why did the throw Tails in a mech? Playing as Sonic is still fun you have the speed the platforming but then it switches to Tails and you may have thought "cool, this should be like Sonic but a little slower and he can fly." But no he's in a mech and were back to a shooting game.
Sonic Heroes was like the team left and a new team was in charge of making a Sonic Adventure 3 and couldn't quite figure it out. At least it was a focus on platforming. Switching characters was fine till the game forces it on you. I haven't played this one recently so I can't say much else on it.
I believe 3D sonic games biggest issue is creating a new style then never refining it. All the boost games seem to work fine controls wise while you are boosting forward and only then. But then the perspective switches and suddenly the controls fall apart. Jumping is something that they seems to not get at all. Jumps feel heavy, feels like you don't have any control on how you move while in the air. This is almost the only thing I want fixed in Sonic Colors Ultimate.
Sonic Lost World is a completely different thing. I liked the idea behind it. Instead of focusing on building big worlds to try and make you feel like you are in this large and detailed land they went with the Mario approach with floating platforms and colorful lands. A great idea but again the controls are the problem. moving around feels a bit awkward and jumping is still broken. Why can't they get jumping right. Also there was a wall running mechanic that was pretty spotty if I recall.

Tschumi

Wasn't there a mariokart clone starring sonic? that might have been decent

but yeah hard to disagree. My best sonic experience was on GBA at the turn of the century.

Skyfox

Classic sonic mode in generations and forces is the only path forward.

Basically side view in a lush 3d environment (like tropical freeze but faster and more beautiful).

A view from behind sonic is just stupid.

I'd say the problem with Sonic games is that they are trying to sell a game based on the name and don't really have a solid vision on what a "main" Sonic game should be.

The classic Sonic games maybe don't translate well into modern gaming but I think a good 2D Sonic would still be superior to a half hearted and poorly thought out 3D game.

3D Sonic would need to have almost level design that allows loads of high speed moments with good platforming. There isn't really much room for error.

Sonic Mania works so well because it takes the 2D formula that is already proven and just does more of that.

Sadly I wasnt able to post in the Sonic thread anymore, just bc I dont like any of the 3D Sonic games im supposed to be a troll or a hater.

Oh yeah im a troll 😂. A series I dont like? I grew up with Sonic and loved his games. Until they went 3D chasing that Mario64 clout, and fucked it all up.

Then it became anime for kids, with terrible stories, voice acting, bad platforming, boost gameplay (hit A to win), and generally bad level design.

I suspect you haven't bought many of the 3D Sonic games the 'Boost' gameplay didn't come in until Sonic Unleashed to have a go at Sonic for a story is laughable and remind us again what buttons A,B,C did in the original Mega Drive game you claim to love?

Unleashed doesnt have A to win boost gameplay.

Also the dumbasses saying 3D can't work with Sonic don't have an example of refined gameplay not working. Sonic team has shifted and tried new experimental ways of making 3D Sonic nearly every game without learning lessons or fixing past mistakes. If there's no refinement of course the quality will be inconsistent.

As for the above Sonics inconsistency has damaged the brand. Sega doesn't seem to care about this at least on the game side.

Sonic Unleashed+Colors+Generations+Lost World+Boom+Forces = less than 8 million copies.

Most of that is the first two games.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The Sonic Adventure games were very good. Flawed, and buggy, but really fun.

Since then they've all ranged from bad to dull mediocrity. The only ones they've been able to make "work" since then are the least ambitious, super shallow and linear ones like Colors and Generations. Anytime they tried something more ambitious that actually had potential, they'd shit their pants like 06 and Lost World.

I just don't believe Sonic Team have it in them anymore. They don't have the vision or the follow through, or at least they can't do both at the same time.

nkarafo

boost gameplay (hit A to win)
You must mean the homing attacks.

Yeah, these are indeed bad.

sonic will never be mario, platform, 2d or 3d
3D Sonic games are crap compared to Mario, that's official.

2D Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic games though, they do have more fun controls/physics than Mario. And the level design in S3&K is great.

O...k...

I mean, it's ok to not like something, but...

Looks impressive visually but the gameplay is so shallow. Feels like a QTE game with all these prompts and "Press A to win" with homing attacks. The camera does most of the steering for you.

And after that you are forced to play a generic button masher beat em up, because Sega can't help themselves adding stuff they can pass as "new ideas" into 3D Sonic games.

Haemi

I tried a 2D Sonic and played both Sonic Adventure games. They were all not that great.

Sonic should be fast. For me this means the games should focus on flow. A Sonic game should be like a racing game but with obstacles and jumping...Some sort of Sonic/Trackmania hybrid.

Alan Wake

From decent to terrible, yes. I think Sonic Lost World was pretty good and Sonic Forces wasn't as awful as I had expected. But after all these years they have still issues with the controls, and that's unforgivable.

Miles708

Looks impressive visually but the gameplay is so shallow. Feels like a QTE game with all these prompts and "Press A to win" with homing attacks. The camera does most of the steering for you.

And after that you are forced to play a generic button masher beat em up, because Sega can't help themselves adding stuff they can pass as "new ideas" into 3D Sonic games.

It's really a speed run indeed. Yeah it can be shallow but I've actually spent months on this game (more than any other 3D chapter) as it is so intoxicating.
I agree night time is generic but:
1) once you power up, levels are easier and faster and
2) once you discover that you can HOLD B/Circle to hold on ledges (instead of split-timing the press), platforming with werehog becomes 100% more enjoyable and faster. Why the game doesn't tell you this is mindblowing.

The only crime of this game is the fight music that constantly interrupts the night-time music. Which is, I think, arguably a mix of the best jazzy tunes in gaming.

Quite frankly I play night levels just for the music.
Those basslines.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I agree night time is generic but:
1) once you power up, levels are easier and faster and
2) once you discover that you can HOLD B/Circle to hold on ledges (instead of split-timing the press), platforming with werehog becomes 100% more enjoyable and faster. Why the game doesn't tell you this is mindblowing.
My point was that these sections shouldn't exist in the first place. The whole werehog + beat em up idea was stupid and the only reason it existed was because some producer wanted some new gimmick in the game, regardless if it fits in a Sonic game. We saw that later on with Sonic holding a sword.

cireza

Banned

These stages are fun (level-design is fantastic), that's all there is to it. Night stages are also pretty good, especially once the character is more powerful.

We saw that later on with Sonic holding a sword.
And we also saw Mario in a kart. How stupid can this be, really ?

Last edited:
No a quick glance at the user review scores on metacritic will tell you that is not the case. Most people hating probably played one of the bad games, gave up on the series and didnt bother playing the good ones. Here's the user review scores for the following games.

Sonic Unleashed(X360)- 8.2
Sonic Colors(wii)- 8.4
Sonic Generations(X360)- 8.1

Also Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were well received at the time they were released.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

In fact I love Sonic and thats why Im so angry that SEGA isnt doing him justice, and you people making excuses for SEGA about how the 3D games are good are part of the problem.

In this case Ill make a poll and ask the rest of Neogaf. Are any of the 3D Sonic games any good? I feel they arent and SEGA is throwing away Sonics legacy with these awful 3D bad platforming titles.

Please dont close the topic, I mean it as a serious question and Im NOT trolling.
Totally agree OP.

I loved all the Genesis sonic games, but have yet to play a 3D sonic that was worthwhile. The only exception is the racing games, Sonic R and the later Racing titles can be fun. I bought sonic mania on Switch and PS4. Couldn't even bring myself to finish all the recently announced Sonic game trailers.

If 3D sonic is what sells, then more power to them, but I'm not part of that demographic.
Sonic The Hedgehog Pixel GIF

cireza

Banned
No a quick glance at the user review scores on metacritic will tell you that is not the case. Most people hating probably played one of the bad games, gave up on the series and didnt bother playing the good ones. Here's the user review scores for the following games.

Sonic Unleashed(X360)- 8.2
Sonic Colors(wii)- 8.4
Sonic Generations(X360)- 8.1

Also Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were well received at the time they were released.
User reviews pretty much point the obvious. People who are the target audience for these games are happy with it.

dem

They need to give up on the speed thing... it blows. No one likes it. You can’t even comprehend what’s going on. I was a kid when Sonic was huge.... no one played Sonic like a speed run.

Commit to the Mario rip-off path.

Last edited:

nkarafo

These stages are fun (level-design is fantastic), that's all there is to it. Night stages are also pretty good, especially once the character is more powerful.
Disagree.

And we also saw Mario in a kart. How stupid can this be, really ?
Um... That's a spinoff and not in the main series?

User reviews pretty much point the obvious. People who are the target audience for these games are happy with it.
I assume target audience is 8 year olds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom