• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D beat em ups have brawled there way into my heart

CamHostage

Yes its all true my friends this is the greatest untapped gaming genres of all times

Uh, maaaaaaaybe....

There's just not a truly great one AFAIK, and they stumbled onto a great variants of the brawler formula with weapons to add distanced range and stylish combat mechanics.

I loved Gekido in its day (albeit that's more 2.5d,) and there are some janky ones I still kind of like (not Freedom Force, and for me not GodHand... not Oni... almost The Bouncer but they messed that up... I'm kind of struggling to think of 3D brawlers that I do like, but I'm sure I've enjoyed throwing a punch in 3d at least a few times...), but overall that genre just didn't transition.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

CamHostage

Yakuza is basically beat'm'ups, well, not the last JRPG one.

Especially if you go for PS2/PS3 Yakuza versions, the jank kind of works for the genre 😉.

Sort of? I kind of disqualify a beat-em-up that has a block button though, know what I mean? Or one that doesn't really have a jumpkick mechanism...

To me, Yakuza is more of the modern stylish-hero action (just usually without a weapon) than traditional beat-em-up. Those beat-em-up games were rarely based on using a defense mechanism and you mostly had to maintain your offense through zone control and timing and move selection and proximity to multiple enemies who could trap you with tandem attacks. You were "beating up" enemies, not "fighting" them.

Yakuza of course has you beating up baddies, so of course it counts. (Though I believe you spend most of your time doing anything but fighting, right? I only played bits and pieces and only really dug the PSP games with the wrestling-styled brawl scenes, so I'm kind of in the camp that the JRPG move might have been smart for the saga...) And a beat-em-up can have defense if it needs it (though it's pretty rare in the 2D versions that they needed it.) Overall though, Yakuza doesn't have that line of heritage right to like Final Fight or River City to me.

Last edited:

CamHostage

You know what's a pretty worthwhile beat-em-up which could have been a way forward for the genre? Jet Li: Rise to Honor, a PS2 game by Sony with an innovative dual-stick brawling system. It didn't have a jump button AFAIR, so it's got that against it, but it does tackle multi-enemy combat in a way that most 3D brawlers never figured out, and that would have been a crucial innovation for the genre to survive in the move from flat-plane 2D combat to multidirectional 3D brawling. In the game, you used the second stick to strike at enemies behind or to the side of you, and you had systems for interacting with the environment or multiple enemies at once. It used 3D to its advantage rather than just employing the graphical upgrade of 3D worlds/characters; here, the world was real, and you had to be aware of and use the full range of space to wipe out your foes.

Not a great game in total (the fighting wasn't completely balanced, and it also had some Max Payne-style shooting and other clumsy stuff,) but an interesting fighting system that never really lived up to the full potential. (The Mark of Kri series played with this directional idea too, also PS2, also by Sony.)

(One downside of this system is that it wrecked your thumbs tapping the analog stick left and right for every combat move...)

Last edited:

CGNoire

You know what's a pretty worthwhile beat-em-up which could have been a way forward for the genre? Jet Li: Rise to Honor, a PS2 game by Sony with an innovative dual-stick brawling system. It didn't have a jump button AFAIR, so it's got that against it, but it does tackle multi-enemy combat in a way that most 3D brawlers never figured out, and that would have been a crucial innovation for the genre to survive in the move from flat-plane 2D combat to multidirectional 3D brawling. In the game, you used the second stick to strike at enemies behind or to the side of you, and you had systems for interacting with the environment or multiple enemies at once. It used 3D to its advantage rather than just employing the graphical upgrade of 3D worlds/characters; here, the world was real, and you had to be aware of and use the full range of space to wipe out your foes.

Not a great game in total (the fighting wasn't completely balanced, and it also had some Max Payne-style shooting and other clumsy stuff,) but an interesting fighting system that never really lived up to the full potential. (The Mark of Kri series played with this directional idea too, also PS2, also by Sony.)

(One downside of this system is that it wrecked your thumbs tapping the analog stick left and right for every combat move...)

Yep Rise to Honor is fantastic and It looks great via Emulator with relativeily low cpu requirements.

StereoVsn

Sort of? I kind of disqualify a beat-em-up that has a block button though, know what I mean? Or one that doesn't really have a jumpkick mechanism...

To me, Yakuza is more of the modern stylish-hero action (just usually without a weapon) than traditional beat-em-up. Those beat-em-up games were rarely based on using a defense mechanism and you mostly had to maintain your offense through zone control and timing and move selection and proximity to multiple enemies who could trap you with tandem attacks. You were "beating up" enemies, not "fighting" them.

Yakuza of course has you beating up baddies, so of course it counts. (Though I believe you spend most of your time doing anything but fighting, right? I only played bits and pieces and only really dug the PSP games with the wrestling-styled brawl scenes, so I'm kind of in the camp that the JRPG move might have been smart for the saga...) And a beat-em-up can have defense if it needs it (though it's pretty rare in the 2D versions that they needed it.) Overall though, Yakuza doesn't have that line of heritage right to like Final Fight or River City to me.
Eh, I think the heat move focus counts a lot. It's not really very charact action oriented, IMO. Yes, there is defense but even that it has that beat'm'up roots, especially in earlier entrees.

I recommend checking out either OG 1&2 or Yakuza 0. And yes, there is always a dramatic story and bunch of side activities, but ok combat side I still think it has that same vibes as more traditional beat'm'ups, including using environment like picking up a bike and smashing it on bad guys head or knocking out a weapon from them and using that.

Md Ray

Can't go wrong with this one. It's even voiced and mo-capped by the man, Jackie, himself!

Last edited:

H4ze

Fighting Force !! I love both games so much, they have a special place in my heart because I played them a lot as a kid on my ps1

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yakuza games I guess. I've tried playing them, and I enjoy the story and side activities but get bored to death by the repetitive beat em up combat. So yeah, not for me, but maybe for you.

Play God Hand
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Batiman

Banned
I remember loving that Jackie Chan game on ps1. I’m not sure how that holds up though…….

I miss AA cheesy games like that form that era

Top Bottom