• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDIT: Oops, didn't flesh out the title, sorry. "343 Art Director leaving after 14 years of Halo".

One of my favourites from Sparth -

6y4UXWB.jpeg

A little about Sparth -

Halo Infinite Art Director. Microsoft - 343Industries. Author of the Structura art books. Credits: Halo 5 Art Director, Halo 4 lead Concept Artist, RAGE (IDsoftware), Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft), Alone in the Dark 4 (Darkworks Studio), & above 150 book covers for the US, Canadian, and French market.

Best of luck to Sparth and his new adventures. A huge impact on the identity of Halo and its mysterious wonder. The concept art always spoke even more to me than the execution of the games. This is everything I wanted out of Infinite, the key art exceeds the zeitgeist but the game did not.

Halo-Infinite-key-art-gives-clearest-look-yet-at-Master-Chiefs-next-adventure.png

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

EDIT: Oops, didn't flesh out the title, sorry. "343 Art Director leaving after 14 years of Halo".

6y4UXWB.jpeg

A little about Sparth -

Best of luck to Sparth and his new adventures. A huge impact on the identity of Halo and its mysterious wonder. The concept art always spoke even more to me than the execution of the games. This is everything I wanted out of Infinite, the key art exceeds the zeitgeist but the game did not.

Halo-Infinite-key-art-gives-clearest-look-yet-at-Master-Chiefs-next-adventure.png

I always liked Nick's concept art, but the actual art direction Halo took after he became art director was not well recieved, until Halo Infinite. I don't know how much of 343's poor artistic direction can be laid at Sparth's feet, however, given the ever-shifting goals of 343 upper management, but I'm glad he was able to finally steer the ship in the right direction after 15 years of attempts. Hope the next art director can learn from previous missteps and keep the current vision intact.

Last edited:
Halo 4 and 5 art direction gets hated on, but I actually never had a problem with it. It's definitely a departure from the OG trilogy and I completely understand why longtime fans would feel a disconnect, but some of the "organic" armor direction was cool IMO. Not all armor has to be bulky with straight lines to work.
4fc6a111f5bb36d03f565832a17f70f2.png

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

6y4UXWB.jpeg

A little about Sparth -

Too bad Halo makers never make their game resemble the pastel artwork promoting the game.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Halo 4 and 5 art direction gets hated on, but I actually never had a problem with it. It's definitely a departure from the OG trilogy and I completely understand why longtime fans would feel a disconnect, but some of the "organic" armor direction was cool IMO. Not all armor has to be bulky with straight lines to work.

I see that and think it just looks like a shit crysis suit.

Sadly it just dousent do it for me and it seems due to the fact it does get hated on I am not alone in that.

Flutta

Banned
343i worst AAA studio this gen. What a trainwreck 🤣. This is a prime example why you dont have a bunch of degens running a studio.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
A good amount of the creative team left to get that Chinese money.
Im sure hes also going to NetEase. A Jar Of Sparks Studios.

Our Chinese overlords have infiltrated deep enough we dont even bat an eye anymore when major talent gets owned by them.

How do you silently take over?
Dont make acquisitions, just buy creative leads and have them announce they have have started a new studio......it just so happens to be comprised of a bunch of people from that one other studio.
The team doesnt even need to move cities, just make offices nextdoor to their current job so they can easily "scout" more of their old team.
Clever Girl.

The new studio logo:
Jar-of-Sparks-Netease-game-studio-800x450.jpg

P.S: Id think this is thread worthy.....a good portion of 343i creative have gone to NetEase....basically at the same time.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
A good amount of the creative team left to get that Chinese money.
Im sure hes also going to NetEase. A Jar Of Sparks Studios.

Our Chinese overlords have infiltrated deep enough we dont even bat an eye anymore when major talent gets owned by them.

How do you silently take over?
Dont make acquisitions, just buy creative leads and have them announce they have have started a new studio......it just so happens to be comprised of a bunch of people from that one other studio.
The team doesnt even need to move cities, just make offices nextdoor to their current job so they can easily "scout" more of their old team.
Clever Girl.

The new studio logo:
Jar-of-Sparks-Netease-game-studio-800x450.jpg

P.S: Id think this is thread worthy.....a good portion of 343i creative have gone to NetEase....basically at the same time.
Very interesting LinkedIn page. They are literally all from 343.

ZehDon

After Halo 4 reinvented the wheel and ended up with a square, and Halo 5 decided the Power Rangers movies were underrated, I’m not all that sad to see this kind of departure.

Seeing so many departures from 343i makes me think that maybe the shake up that’s so badly needed is actually happening. At this rate, Staten will be solo-developing the next instalment by himself - and it’ll still come out the best of 343is efforts.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I mean he built this thing, but now it's going to live on forever as it now exists forever in a GaaS state. Leave such trivial, DLC shop-laden future maintenance to people new to the industry. Move on and create something else now as lead art designer elsewhere.

I mean he built this thing, but now it's going to live on forever as it now exists forever in a GaaS state. Leave such trivial, DLC shop-laden future maintenance to people new to the industry. Move on and create something else now as lead art designer elsewhere.
I was an Art Director, he didn't build shit.

VAVA Mk2

They need to offer Shi Kai Wang a shit ton of money to leave Bungie and come to 343i. He was in charge of a lot of the art work on Bungie Halo games.

I’ll agree with you; I thought Locke’s armor was cool. Too bad I never got to use it in the mp because of the terrible loot crate system never giving me anything good.

Lady Jane

Banned
Halo 4 definitely had different artists do different things. The armors in the campaign was great but 80% of the armor in the mulitplayer was god-awful.

Last edited:
on one hand Infinite's art style was great... on the other hand Halo 4 and 5's was vile...
4's art director was Kenneth Scott. (Before was director at ID for Doom, Quake)
5 was more of what 343 wanted as a studio
Infinitie was his true vision and it was great for Halo imo.

However, the entire 343 has fundamental problem and wont be fixed until heads of studio including Bonnie Ross and O'Connor are also changed.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

on one hand Infinite's art style was great... on the other hand Halo 4 and 5's was vile...

Not really. Game looked average.

Would love for a game to actually look like the concept art, but that will never happen. Would give it 500x more charm

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Single player was grass and hills and ugly copy paste basises and structures

Banished weapons are ugly

I wish him the best

Top Bottom