• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3080ti previews coming out

kyliethicc

They only toned down their prices due to AMD's heat. Now they know that production is suffering for 7nm and AMD can't react easily they went to their "natural" prices. They were scarce since day one, it's more of making good PR and hurting AMD.
I can't blame any of these companies for reacting to the market. Its funny.

Everyone started paying $1500-2000 for a 3090, so Nvidia is now taking leftover binned dies and making 3090 Lites for $1200-1500. And they're saving even more on unit cost by cutting VRAM by 50%. Smart move for their own wallets, but Nvidia continues to fuck over their customers.

AMD did the same shit with their silly overpriced 6900 XT. $1000-1200 for a card thats basically the same as the $650-800 model? But people bought it. These companies got the message - "higher prices next time please, we love making your margins grow!"

Fredrik

I feel bad for all the PC gamers out there. Don't get a GPU at these inflated prices, get a console instead.
A console isn’t in any way replacing a new graphics card. This isn’t solved that way, it’s literally unsolvable and that’s why it sucks so hard.

ZehDon

"Remember how you couldn't buy one of our other cards? Nothings changed - and here's a more expensive version you also can't buy!"

I mean, I get that this situation is not NVidia's fault, but dancing to the beat when the music has stopped just feels a little silly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think PC gaming is in a really bad place right now. I get that there is a shortage on consoles too but at least console makers arent price gouging like Nvidia and all of their AiB partners. I remember going to Microcenter a few months ago and they had a bunch of 3070s sitting on the shelf. But they were all over $750. $50 more than the 3080 MSRP. There was one 3080 for $1,299 and two 3090s for $2,500.

It's a scam and I really hope someone starts regulating this shit. It may not hurt PC gaming right now, but this is the kind of shit that drives people away. Consoles are relatively easier to find. At least Sony is selling more consoles than they ever have. MS too. I literally cant find a 3080 no matter how many discords I join. not even $900 AIB cards.

Phase

I was going to get in the queue at EVGA, but I can't justify paying $1400-1500 for it. I'm in the 3080 queue ($900) and might try for 3070ti if it's close in performance.

longdi

Banned
I think PC gaming is in a really bad place right now. I get that there is a shortage on consoles too but at least console makers arent price gouging like Nvidia and all of their AiB partners. I remember going to Microcenter a few months ago and they had a bunch of 3070s sitting on the shelf. But they were all over $750. $50 more than the 3080 MSRP. There was one 3080 for $1,299 and two 3090s for $2,500.

It's a scam and I really hope someone starts regulating this shit. It may not hurt PC gaming right now, but this is the kind of shit that drives people away. Consoles are relatively easier to find. At least Sony is selling more consoles than they ever have. MS too. I literally cant find a 3080 no matter how many discords I join. not even $900 AIB cards.

blame those impulsive idiots who would pay scalper prices. If everyone was like me, i would let those gpu rot on the shelves until msrp :messenger_persevering:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I was going to get in the queue at EVGA, but I can't justify paying $1400-1500 for it. I'm in the 3080 queue ($900) and might try for 3070ti if it's close in performance.
When did you sign up for the 3080 que? After seeing that Gamers Nexus video, I'm really reconsidering trying to get a 3080ti and just waiting for the 3080 as well and just going for a 3080 and a Switch Pro for my major purchases this year.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Yup, garbage deal there. Fucking 12GB VRAM? Just fucking pay an extra $100 and get double that.

If you can land your hands on a 3090 FE… sooo yeah..

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

We can no longer use logic in this crazy market, especially with theoretical MSRPs which are basically unicorn cards, you land your hands on whatever you can if you want a GPU.

twilo99

At $1200 it's a total joke. ~8% faster over 3080 at 4K and even less at 1440p. He's right that 3090 makes some sense with 24GB of VRAM, if you're a dev.

As expected.. there simply isn't enough room between the 3080 and the 3090 for this to exist. I really don't get why they did that.. they should've left more room between the initial top offerings if they wanted to squeeze more $ out of us..

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you can land your hands on a 3090 FE… sooo yeah..

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

We can no longer use logic in this crazy market, especially with theoretical MSRPs which are basically unicorn cards, you land your hands on whatever you can if you want a GPU.

It's strange to me because nVidia is actually using a different node, 8nm, from a different supplier, Samsung. Are they making this imaginary shortage? All I know is 7nm is in hot demand, not sure were are those 8nm going other than nVidia? Is it Intel?

As expected.. there simply isn't enough room between the 3080 and the 3090 for this to exist. I really don't get why they did that.. they should've left more room between the initial top offerings if they wanted to squeeze more $ out of us..

I think those are not perfect enough yields to be 3090, nor bad enough to be 3080. Assuming both 3080 and 3090 using the same die with deactivated cores on 3080?

Like making 6850 XT with 76-78CU's instead of 80CU's (6900 XT) or 74CU's (6800 XT).

Last edited:

Phase

When did you sign up for the 3080 que? After seeing that Gamers Nexus video, I'm really reconsidering trying to get a 3080ti and just waiting for the 3080 as well and just going for a 3080 and a Switch Pro for my major purchases this year.
In March, lol. I'm going to be patient as there isn't anything I really need it for at the moment, and I'll just be upgrading to 1440p once I get it. I'm thinking about also getting a Switch pro!

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
While I think that 3080fe even at 700 was too expensive (as graphics cards are just too expensive), it would be stupid for nvidia not to sell it for what scalpers would anyway.
As for the gpu itself - of course it's pointless

Its a game of escalation, lmao, and the only ones who lose are the actual gamers.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
In March, lol. I'm going to be patient as there isn't anything I really need it for at the moment, and I'll just be upgrading to 1440p once I get it. I'm thinking about also getting a Switch pro!

giphy.gif

I signed up in October and am still waiting.

ZLCkAZd.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I can't blame any of these companies for reacting to the market. Its funny.

Everyone started paying $1500-2000 for a 3090, so Nvidia is now taking leftover binned dies and making 3090 Lites for $1200-1500. And they're saving even more on unit cost by cutting VRAM by 50%. Smart move for their own wallets, but Nvidia continues to fuck over their customers.

AMD did the same shit with their silly overpriced 6900 XT. $1000-1200 for a card thats basically the same as the $650-800 model? But people bought it. These companies got the message - "higher prices next time please, we love making your margins grow!"
It makes a lot of sense. What would you do if you were cranking out some product as fast as you could, and every single one got snatched up by scalpers and then sold for double what you charged for it?

It’s a supply and demand problem, simple as that.

twilo99

I think those are not perfect enough yields to be 3090, nor bad enough to be 3080. Assuming both 3080 and 3090 using the same die with deactivated cores on 3080?

Like making 6850 XT with 76-78CU's instead of 80CU's (6900 XT) or 74CU's (6800 XT).

You are probably right but it still doesn't make sense at those price points.. if its only ~3-4% better performance vs the 3080, they should charge accordingly.

Steve is a such a savage, he nailed them lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You are probably right but it still doesn't make sense at those price points.. if its only ~3-4% better performance vs the 3080, they should charge accordingly.

Steve is a such a savage, he nailed them lol

Yeah they usually don't make sense, but that's always the case with perfect yields tend to be overpriced due to their rarity in the process. Any respectful company would rather deactivate those little extras and sell them as 3080 instead of adding stupid 2GB of VRAM to justify more than double the price.

Last edited:

orion95

Neo Member
ya, the preview is coming out. but no one knows, when the product is actually coming out for the customers to buy. :messenger_downcast_sweat: the current availability GPUs is just abysmal

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
serious, how do i give my self a chance on actually purchasing one of these?
There was some Discord server sending out stock updates, managed to land a 3080 just 1 week after launch with that. Also used the HotStock app and got a 3090 FE from Best Buy that way in January (then sold my 3080 for the same price I bough the 3090 for lol).

I also signed up for EVGA’s queue as soon as it went live. Just got the email last week and got myself a 3080 FTW3.

Buggy Loop

It's strange to me because nVidia is actually using a different node, 8nm, from a different supplier, Samsung. Are they making this imaginary shortage? All I know is 7nm is in hot demand, not sure were are those 8nm going other than nVidia? Is it Intel?

I would put my hand in fire that the bottleneck is GDDR6x

twilo99

Yeah they're usually don't make sense, but that's always the case with perfect yields tend to be overpriced due to their rarity in the process. Any respectful company would rather deactivate those little extras and sell them as 3080 instead of adding stupid 2GB of VRAM to justify more than double the price.

Exactly.

I've been saying ever since all this madness started that the 3070 and the 6800xt are the only ones that make sense this gen if you can get them at MSRP.

At this point you either get one of those two, wait until RDNA3, or get an xbox or ps5 and call it.

Excess

lol all those dickhead faux outrage thumbnails.
I was actually thinking about what Nvidia was probably deliberating about when they priced it.

"The customers and YouTuber's are gonna hate us anyway for it even existing as SKU, so we may as well get maximum value for it without cannibalizing the 3090."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Exactly.

I've been saying ever since all this madness started that the 3070 and the 6800xt are the only ones that make sense this gen if you can get them at MSRP.

At this point you either get one of those two, wait until RDNA3, or get an xbox or ps5 and call it.
It depends what you’re upgrading from as well. Used Vega 64 and 1080 Ti cards are going for $800+ on Ebay. So it’s a great time to upgrade IF you have a high-demand card already and IF you manage to score a newer one at retail price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It depends what you’re upgrading from as well. Used Vega 64 and 1080 Ti cards are going for $800+ on Ebay. So it’s a great time to upgrade IF you have a high-demand card already and IF you manage to score a newer one at retail price.

Yeah it's funny that my Radeon VII are being sold at up to $1600 when I bought mine for $699 back in April 2019. You can do that trick as well, and more than sure those paying that much for Radeon VII are mostly collectors. The new Radeon VII Pro has similar specs at $1899 MSRP, so maybe they're after that 16GB HDM2 with 1TB/s bandwidth for some workstation uses? Or probably good at mining bitcoins? Don't know.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah it's funny that my Radeon VII are being sold at up to $1600 when I bought mine for $699 back in April 2019. You can do that trick as well, and more than sure those paying that much for Radeon VII are mostly collectors. The new Radeon VII Pro has similar specs at $1899 MSRP, so maybe they're after that 16GB HDM2 with 1TB/s bandwidth for some workstation uses? Or probably good at mining bitcoins? Don't know.
Jeeeeez thanks for reminding me. My dad is using my old Radeon VII for Flight Simulator 2020. Might try to score a 6700 or 3070 and sell the VII.

FingerBang

A console isn’t in any way replacing a new graphics card. This isn’t solved that way, it’s literally unsolvable and that’s why it sucks so hard.

Until consoles don´t do everything or more for gaming than a pc, not an option.

Of course, consoles can't replace a PC. I'm talking exclusively to people who just want to play new games and have old hardware that isn't up to the task. Currently, even older GPU are more expensive than "next gen" consoles. If you need a new graphics card for anything that isn't just gaming, you're screwed. If you want to play games, try to get a PS5/XSX or even an XSS until this madness ends.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Of course, consoles can't replace a PC. I'm talking exclusively to people who just want to play new games and have old hardware that isn't up to the task. Currently, even older GPU are more expensive than "next gen" consoles. If you need a new graphics card for anything that isn't just gaming, you're screwed. If you want to play games, try to get a PS5/XSX or even an XSS until this madness ends.
I can´t play WoW with RT on any console.

Pey27

Neo Member
final review scores too high at 90%.

drop it to 70% at $1199

almost twice the price of my 1080ti, which is supposed to be the replacement.

it is not even 2x 1080ti

I'm aware. It's just a figurative score. I mentioned that it should have cost $999. It does provide almost equal performance to the RTX 3090 in most cases (mostly at 4K) and 12GB is the sweet spot for gaming, but for $300 less than a 3090 and being released 8 months later, the 3080 Ti feels.... I don't know, unnecessary, and expensive considering it costs 50% more than the 3080.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
OMG that's absolutely horrible. Nvidia ripping people off without mercy LOL.
On the one hand, fuck Nvidia. On the other hand, it doesn’t really matter. They’re still selling this for way cheaper than what the market will pay for it. Even if they sold it for $50, they’d just get snatched up by scalpers and sold for $2000+. Nothing is going to change until the supply catches up with demand.

It’s so fucked up though. AMD FINALLY released some real competition to Nvidia at the high end that could’ve driven prices down, only for the entire market to suffer terrible supply issues and drive prices through the roof.

Last edited:

Phase

giphy.gif

I signed up in October and am still waiting.

ZLCkAZd.png
My 1070 is going strong with my new build. I'll keep riding it out. If it takes a year and a half I'm alright with that. No way I'm paying what they're trying to get for it right now. Good luck with your wait. I think the queue is really top heavy, so once it starts actually picking up speed it'll be nice.

Sentenza

Again, this whole PC situation with pricing makes me really happy I was able to snag a Digital PlayStation 5 for $399. Seeing how good Demon Souls, Forbidden West, and Ratchet look is a fucking steal without a headache for sure.
Yeah, sure, but you can shove it up your ass.

No one cares you snagged a PS5. If anyone here actually cared about a PS5 we wouldn't be here crying ourselves to sleep that buying a GPU became impossible.

Marlenus

Hwu showing their amd bias again at the 18m mark.
Wtf about amd super resolution killing of dlss.
blown away by amd ssr? wut mate

'Potentially' and 'AMD still have a lot to prove'. I think any bias is in your head but whatever.

Last edited:
Again, this whole PC situation with pricing makes me really happy I was able to snag a Digital PlayStation 5 for $399. Seeing how good Demon Souls, Forbidden West, and Ratchet look is a fucking steal without a headache for sure.
I can see pc gaming fall behind due to the price differences.

I mean why bother buying a new gen GPU for more then double the price of a "next-gen" console?
People/Families with smaller income will have to move from PC gaming to console gaming.

I've been checking prices on the AMD Cards an hour ago but I just can't convince myself to spend 900 bucks on a new gpu.
It's economically just completly unreasonable.

Guess Sony is gonna make even more money from me this gen if these prices don't drop eventually.

Md Ray

I hear the silicon itself is in shortage globally regardless of the nodes or foundries like Samsung, Intel, TSMC, etc.

And Intel is on 10nm and 14++++nm still.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
$1,200 is nonsense and I'm glad they are getting called out.

There is absolutely no need for this card especially when they are struggling to manufacture 3080s
How is it any different than the 2080Ti compared to the 2080? They always do this shit. Price vs performance curve is exponential. Back when the 3080 launched and people were telling people to wait for the Ti, I "predicted" the rumored 3080 Ti 20GB would launch at 1100-1200. I based that on the cost of moving to 20GB and assuming similar margins to the 3080 and price of GDDR6x to GDDR6 plus the obvious gap in price between the 3080 and 3090 and the price of the 2080Ti. I was very wrong. The price was correct but that was only adding 2GB. All they did was add a small amount more memory and the mem from the 3090, and unlock some more stuff that was already on the GPU for 500 bucks.

Whatever. The prices are ridiculous anyways. If you can score an FE at Best Buy tomorrow, go for it. It would likely involve waiting all day for Best Buy to pick a random time to release their stock and then fighting with a few dozen people for the one card allocated to your closest store. Otherwise wait to see what happens next year when the 4080/4090 launches. If /when the semiconductor supply is sorted out, they might actually over supply GPUs a little in trying to correct from the failures this time around.

TheKratos

Yeah, sure, but you can shove it up your ass.

No one cares you snagged a PS5. If anyone here actually cared about a PS5 we wouldn't be here crying ourselves to sleep that buying a GPU became impossible.

I'm very happy I snagged a PS5 as well. Lovely 60fps gaming at 1440p foor only 400 buckaroos (well mine was 500 but eh). I already have a 2080ti though so I can chill till GPU prices go back to normal.

TheKratos

It makes a lot of sense. What would you do if you were cranking out some product as fast as you could, and every single one got snatched up by scalpers and then sold for double what you charged for it?

It’s a supply and demand problem, simple as that.

Why are consoles immune to this?

Top Bottom