• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 MLB players will form and compete in a MLB The Show League.

In a joint effort with the MLB Players Association and Sony Interactive Entertainment, Major League Baseball is launching the first competitive MLB The Show league featuring players from all 30 teams competing in a 29-game regular season.

The regular season begins Friday and will last through April 28. Games will take place every one to two days with three to five three-inning matchups played each game day. The postseason is scheduled to begin April 30, with a World Series played on May 2. The postseason will feature the eight best teams, with a best-of-three format for the first two rounds and a best-of-five format for the World Series.

The MLB The Show Players League begins today, April 10, as Tampa Bay Rays’ Blake Snell takes on Amir Garrett of the Cincinnati Reds starting at 6 pm PT/9 pm ET. The games will stream on Twitch and YouTube, and details can be found on the @MLBTheShow Twitter account.

Here are your 30 Players (1 representing their team each)

Arizona Diamondbacks: Jon Duplantier

Atlanta Braves: Luke Jackson

Baltimore Orioles: Dwight Smith Jr.

Boston Red Sox: Eduardo Rodriguez

Chicago Cubs: Ian Happ

Chicago White Sox: Lucas Giolito

Cincinnati Reds: Amir Garrett

Cleveland Indians: Carlos Santana

Colorado Rockies: David Dahl

Detroit Tigers: Niko Goodrum

Houston Astros: Lance McCullers Jr.

Kansas City Royals: Brett Phillips

Los Angeles Angels: Ty Buttrey

Los Angeles Dodgers: Gavin Lux

Miami Marlins: Ryne Stanek

Milwaukee Brewers: Josh Hader

Minnesota Twins: Trevor May

New York Mets: Jeff McNeil

New York Yankees: Tommy Kahnle

Oakland Athletics: Jesus Luzardo

Philadelphia Phillies: Rhys Hoskins

Pittsburgh Pirates: Cole Tucker

San Diego Padres: Fernando Tatis Jr.

San Francisco Giants: Hunter Pence

Seattle Mariners: Carl Edwards Jr.

St. Louis Cardinals: Matt Carpenter

Tampa Bay Rays: Blake Snell

Texas Rangers: Joey Gallo

Toronto Blue Jays: Bo Bichette

Washington Nationals: Juan Soto

Amir Garrett Fight!

Of course Juan Soto will represent the Nationals, the Reigning Defending Undisputed World Series Champions.

The three organizations have agreed to donate $5,000 on behalf of each participating player to a Boys and Girls Club affiliate in their team’s community. The championship player will earn an additional $25,000 donation to their community’s clubs.

Shakka43

Surprised it'll be Jeff McNeil and not Pete Alonzo playing for the Mets, he was trying to get something similar going a few weeks ago.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Just to understand

Real people in Baseball will play as themselves in PS4's MLB streaming?

No lol. Because he isn't Yelich. I would want him out as much as possible. He is the NL Trout.

He's probably the next biggest star on the team and one of the bigger names in this tourney. Aside from Tatis, Snell, Gallo and debately Soto I wouldn't say any of the other players are the face of the franchise

Last edited:
He's probably the next biggest star on the team and one of the bigger names in this tourney. Aside from Tatis, Snell, Gallo and debately Soto I wouldn't say any of the other players are the face of the franchise
I understand that. But to me Yelich is the second best player right now in MLB. Completely undervalued and no exposure.

I need Yelich as much as I can especially after that new big contract extension. I need Yelich on late night TV pranking people on the street. Yelich scaring Ellen. Yelich jumping out of a Bachelor party cake.

Ya know...

I understand that. But to me Yelich is the second best player right now in MLB. Completely undervalued and no exposure.

I need Yelich as much as I can especially after that new big contract extension. I need Yelich on late night TV pranking people on the street. Yelich scaring Ellen. Yelich jumping out of a Bachelor party cake.

Ya know...

I get it but it's like trying to Manfred trying to force Trout to do stuff. Some guys just want to play ball and don't want to deal with the exposure part. I get that and I can understand it

StormCell

I get it but it's like trying to Manfred trying to force Trout to do stuff. Some guys just want to play ball and don't want to deal with the exposure part. I get that and I can understand it

And I think one thing we can all agree on is that Manfred is worse for baseball than either Trout or Yelich could ever be good for it. That guy trying to force the game to be more interesting and make more money is the heart of all the problems right now.

I get how having stars play as themselves in the video game can help drive viewership, but trust me. I like Luke Jackson's chances of actually being good at this game as opposed to Freddie Freeman or, definitely, Acuna. Ronald Acuna screams assisted-baserunning and assisted-fielding anyway. We don't really want to watch that stream, do we??

anthraticus

Banned
I'm a fan of real sports, but wouldn't spend a second watching any of these athletes play video games vs each other.

I know it's hard for a good portion of sports fans to comprehend, but now is actually a perfect time to take a break from sports and enjoy other kinds of entertainment.

I'm a fan of real sports, but wouldn't spend a second watching any of these athletes play video games vs each other.

I know it's hard for a good portion of sports fans to comprehend, but now is actually a perfect time to take a break from sports and enjoy other kinds of entertainment.

Us baseball purists have been doing that since the season ended in November. Baseball coming back with spring each year is a big thing for most of us as it gets us out of winter and ready for summer.

Plus we are without a doubt the most autistic of sports fans, with our stats and OCD rituals. Any form of baseball at this point is better than nothing

anthraticus

Banned
Us baseball purists have been doing that since the season ended in November. Baseball coming back with spring each year is a big thing for most of us as it gets us out of winter and ready for summer.

Plus we are without a doubt the most autistic of sports fans, with our stats and OCD rituals. Any form of baseball at this point is better than nothing
I use to be more of a hardcore baseball fan when I was younger, but now 162 drags on too long for me to keep close attention like that anymore. I have too many other interests entertainment wise and now I start getting into it towards the end of the season (if there's any good races going on...and playoffs/WS, of course)

Also never been a fantasy guy either.

I use to be more of a hardcore baseball fan when I was younger, but now 162 drags on too long for me to keep close attention like that anymore. I have too many other interests entertainment wise and now I start getting into it towards the end of the season (if there's any good races going on...and playoffs/WS, of course)

Also never been a fantasy guy either.
What’s your team?

Dark Rider

It's good to see others are having the same idea.
It can be a good spectacle and fans have something to watch and discuss :messenger_grinning:

I'll quote myself from the football thread from a couple of weeks ago:

In fun news: La Liga teams play a FIFA tournament. Each team elect a player to represent them.
Real Madrid (represented by Marco Asensio) are #LaLigaSantanderChallenge champions!
Note: The donations are for covid19

Vawn

Banned
As desperate as sports fans are right now, I could see actual baseball fans who don't even game watching this.

I mean, SportsCenter last night was breaking down games of HORSE between professional athletes like it was the Super Bowl.

Top Bottom