• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K splits with veteran WWE studio Yuke’s

VulcanRaven

2K splits with veteran WWE studio Yuke’s:

Japanese studio Yuke’s will not develop future games in the WWE 2K series, VGC understands, ending a near-20-year association with the wrestling license.

WWE 2K20 will instead be led by California-based Visual Concepts, which co-developed recent instalments in the franchise, the game’s publisher 2K confirmed.
2K told VGC in a statement: “WWE 2K20 will be developed by Visual Concepts, who have worked with Yuke’s on the development of the series since WWE 2K14.
“As we’ve continued to invest in the WWE 2K franchise, we’ve seen the Visual Concepts team display incredible passion, talent and commitment to the future of the series. We thank Yuke’s for their years of partnership and are excited to see what the Visual Concepts team brings to the franchise moving forward.”

In a separate statement sent to VGC, Yuke’s confirmed the news and said that it plans to “continue providing support to 2K with regard to the game engine.” Earlier this year Yuke’s confirmed it’s working on a new, original wrestling IP.

Tuesday’s news marks the first time the Japanese studio hasn’t been actively involved in the creation of a mainline WWE title for almost 20 years, having worked on the series since 1999’s Smackdown for PSOne.

This might be good news. They have made some great WWE games over the years but the series really needs something new. Yuke's has been developing WWE games since WWF Smackdown on PS1. Can't wait to see how WWE games will be on the next-gen consoles.

Last edited:

Thabass

Unfortunately OP, they made some of the worst WWE games in recent memory. It's for the best. They needed to go for a long, LONG time.

Their attention to detail will be missed.
AycEBbe.gif

NickFire

I think some new eyes on the series is well warranted. Despite all the new modes, better graphics, online, etc., they have never captured the feeling of playing wrestling games on an N64 yet.

GreatnessRD

This is God's plan so I can get Wrestle Kingdom 3. 2K and Visual Concepts will burn the series further. (Though I honestly hope not, I just don't have the faith) Especially since Yukes wanted to stop using older assets and mo-capping for everything. Sad to see it end this way, but I'm confident its for the better.

Aintitcool

Banned
I had no clue WWE games were being made in japan. You kinda want to find local devs for sports franchises. Like where the sport is popular at least.

Dthomp

Awesome news, this was needed like 5 years ago though. Their games have been dumpster fires for years.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Look, does this mean they are going to bring back body morphing? I miss being able to make fat ass, thick thighed big boobed divas. I don't think we've had body morphing since WWE13. Also like others have said the engine is shit. Shit!

Hostile_18

Banned
Well it's not exactly great that the team co developing it is now soley responsible. So it's unlikely were going to have a much better game and is also likely they will have to have a few years (read: games) catching up as the sole developer.

Got my hopes up then lol.

Tygeezy

I'm not sure why wwe needs a new game every year. It's off-putting to know your game is obsolete after one year.

VulcanRaven

NJPW is making money but it’s not mainstream.

Visual Concepts is taking over the Yukes engine so I don’t expect anything to change.
I hope they start using a new engine at some point. They might do it when the next-gen consoles come.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
WWE isn't really mainstream either. Japanese wrestling used to be more popular in the past, same with American one. So I don't see how his argument is fair in any way.
I feel like comparing japanese wrestling to the WWE is an insult to Japan, there it's an actual martial art. WWE is a reality show, where the over the top characters make it fun to watch. Moves that make no sense. Stupid things you can do like cage matches.

I don't see how a Japan developer can capture something so american authentically. You would want the devs of a WWE game to be able to go to the live shows and update itself according to what fans like. They are insane freaks like dan ryckert who loved WWE since their pre-teens and go every year to the mega event. That is the type of guy you want to hire. Where do you find those people in japan?

Last edited:

Ryllix_

I buy almost every new wrestling game, including wwe's recent games, but this is the best news in years. The games are clearly a decade out of date at this point.

Would be great if we saw a new season of VGCW with WWE20 in celebration/ tribute to Yukes and their consistently mediocre wrestling series with its incredibly comprehensive creation engine.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

My favorite WWE game:
518TYKQSCCL._SY445_.jpg

Gameplay was great and it had the best Season mode. TLC matches were fun. I have always liked it more than Here Comes the Pain.

With 2k19 they did a pretty good jump overall, at least after the latest previous entries, but a breath of fresh air is needed
What will happen? Yuke's partnering with someone else on a rival Wwe game? 2k finds someone pretty good?

I'm not optimistic on visual concepts tho, God help us

Day of reckoning 2 and smackdown vs raw ps2 entries are still unbeaten
I'll never forget how much fun I used to have in summer 2004-05 at my friend's home, I used to go play Smackdown Vs Raw with him ( I only had a gamecube back then) and we always had a fuckin blast, awesome memories
Since 2k took the job, none of their games ever attracted me that way anymore, for some reason I feel something is missing, some sort of secret spice
Maybe the menu and presentation? Or the overall feeling? Dunno

Wrestling is something, imo, where the less possible simulating is a game the better, do you agree?

Last edited:

Ryllix_

Because there are no other options. Raw 2 for the OG Xbox and Fire Pro returns for PS2 are the last wrestling games I would consider to be very good. I keep my expectation low with the WWE 2k series but personally I find them more enjoyable than the smackdown games.

RavageX

From what I gather Yukes has wanted to do something different, and haven't been allowed to. I kinda expect whatever they end up doing will be great, and you can expect the same junk from 2k.

Top Bottom