• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

27 years of Need for Speed

When people say back to its roots, thing is NFS has three eras and im assuming 3 generations of fans.

The First Era:

* NFS 1,2,3,4, Porsche Unleashed

The Second Era: slow introduction to open world.

* NFS Underground 1+2, Most Wanted, Carbon, Pro Street, Undercover, SHIFT (lol)

Third Era:

* Hot Pursuit 2010, The Run, Most Wanted 2012, Rivals, NFS 2015, payback, Heat.

Fourth Era starts with next gen NFS 2022

Im one of those that was there day one and i think the biggest drop for me started with pro street /undercover /shift/the run. I either hated them or got so burned out from the franchise that i didn't bother to play them to this day. In retrospect, id like to give a go to The Run and both Shifts. But i have nowhere to play em (not a pc gamer and sold my ps3).

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe that was the case day 1, but it is not anymore. I’ve played the game for the first time a month ago and I kind of liked it (expected that it is terrible). I did not have to buy anything or to grind in order to finish it.
They’ve probably patched it a lot since release.
Probably. It used be very similar to a premium game. Either grind or pay for faster progression.

Unknown?

Dance Party Reaction GIF

They need to get Rom De Prisco back and get rid of the shitty licensed music!

They'll never beat Most Wanted on PS2. NFS 2015 is the type of game I want it to be though. That game was a decent attempt. I really appreciated the live action cutscenes.

Top games in no order would be underground,Carbon,most wanted, high stake, pro street and NFS2. The ghost games minus rivals are pretty good play 2015 and heat with mods at there easily in the top games category. Worst games are shift 1 and 2, the run Most wanted 2012 and 2010 both of the criterion games got rid of the car buying progression that HP 1 and HP 2 had turned the game into pretty much mario kart with real cars.

WitchHunter

Banned
I hope the new one is good, i mean they got an entire extra year to work on it. Criterions need for speed hot pursuit is still one of the greatest racing games ever made. Im close to the platinum on ps5
They assigned the development to the donkey squad. It will be good. Empty dialogues targeted for brainwashed 8 year olds. Change your bumber's colors. 6,7 million variations available.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Street Rod from 1989 had more variability, kick, coolness and thought than modern NFS games. I hope they'll bring it back along with Screamer, just not under EA's umbrella.

Speaking of OSTs, in due time ill post some videos here that I planned to get done for NFS. Im not some pro but I think I could make entertaining content. In the mean time, check out this guy that did modern day remixes of old skool tracks. He also has a bandcamp link below where you can dowload the whole album in highest quality for free but obviously it would be nice if you guys can donate to him. The tracks stay true to the original but remastered and better sounding for sure with a few changes. You could play these in a club and nobody would know its a 25yr old song from a video game:

Javthusiast

Banned
Need for Speed Underground for me is still the best time I ever had with this franchise. Came out at the perfect time. Me a young teenager with lots of free time, being a fan of The Fast and the Furious. Game having a great soundtrack.

Good times.

GreatnessRD

Need for Speed Underground just hit different in High School. Underground 2 was cool, but OG Underground was goated to me. Everything after was straight dumpster juice. Ass cheeks, if you will.

NinjaBoiX

The best part of that game - trigger it on purpose, so that you can get through the road blocks.
Meh, you can do that under specific circumstances but even then it feels like cheating.

It’s at its worst when it cuts back to the game slamming you straight into some traffic or something, so annoying!

Im actually going for a platinum for Rivals. Last night i did the final race, 13 minutes of total chaos and sweating :D

Icymanipulator Icymanipulator for sure, its not aged well now but its a classic and brought mainstream success to the franchise.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Errr thats not the original HP on PS2. Thats Hot Pursuit 2. The original is Need for Speed 3: Hot pursuit on PS1/PC

66724-need-for-speed-iii-hot-pursuit-playstation-front-cover.png
just replayed this one... was it always this brutal? The rubber banding is extreme. Enemy drivers are always on your neck. If you do just one mistake, you fall back from position 1 to 6 or 7.

Top Bottom