• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

27 Science Fictions that became Science Facts in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunk#7

What is ironic is that the very second that we had reasonable access to the diamond planet you would see diamond prices drop to where you could get more money for acorns.

I wish women would stop wanting diamonds so that they would be worthless.

In the Warhammer 20k universe, didn't space marines have "Data Slates"? We got tablets now, although they aren't glass panes like they are in the fiction.

MaddenNFL64

Is it bad that I empathize with the "skyNET" comments, and fears of robot led marital law, but don't want progress to stop? I'll kick my own ass if I get mugged by a cheetah/horse/terminator shaped "civil protection" robot with a mini gun on its back 30 years from now.

jasonng

In the Warhammer 20k universe, didn't space marines have "Data Slates"? We got tablets now, although they aren't glass panes like they are in the fiction.

Tablets being a huge consumer product is definitely a huge accomplishment that we've already taken for granted.

Almighty

8. STEM CELLS COULD EXTEND HUMAN LIFE BY OVER 100 YEARS

When fast-aging elderly mice with a usual lifespan of 21 days were injected with stem cells from younger mice at the Institute for Regenerative Medicine in Pittsburgh, the results were staggering. Given the injection approximately four days before they were expected to die, not only did the elderly mice live — they lived threefold their normal lifespan, sticking around for 71 days. In human terms, that would be the equivalent of an 80-year-old living to be 200.

Sounds good. What's the catch though? I don't know if I would want to live another 120 years if my body is that of an 80 year olds.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Sounds good. What's the catch though? I don't know if I would want to live another 120 years if my body is that of an 80 year olds.

Exactly. If I could stay in my 20s for another 50 years that would be sick. ..but fuck being a constant 70.

Dead Man

Just because of the recent thread: Science, fuck yeah.

15. Artificial Leaves Generate Electricity

That is some good shit.

I'd take another 30 years of being 80 while I waited for the actual reversal of aging.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I want to be one of the many who say "hell yes I want to live to be 200!". However, I know that this kind of technology would only be available to the very wealthy, and not plebes like you or I. So while folks like Warren Buffet, and Bill Gates will enjoy the world in 2079, Most of us will be dead or decrepit and dying of the usual maladies. :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I want to be one of the many who say "hell yes I want to live to be 200!". However, I know that this kind of technology would only be available to the very wealthy, and not plebes like you or I. So while folks like Warren Buffet, and Bill Gates will enjoy the world in 2079, Most of us will be dead or decrepit and dying of the usual maladies. :(

They're probably already experimenting on themselves too. Bet the old Queen got some stem cell injections.

Piecake

3-D printed House sounds awesome

I still can't wrap my head around how that works. I'm just going to assume its a star trek replicator

UrbanRats

I'd take another 30 years of being 80 while I waited for the actual reversal of aging.

Exactly, you've got to play the long game here.
100 more years it's just an extender to let you tap into that fountain of youth and various augmentations goodness.
When you're dead, even with the technology available, nobody is gonna resurrect your ass.

Kinyou

enhanced-buzz-15055-1mwa8d.jpg

An exoplanet made entirely of diamonds was discovered this year by an international research team. Approximately five times the size of Earth, the small planet had mass similar to that of Jupiter. Scientists believe the short distance from its star coupled with the exoplanet’s mass means the planet, remnants of another star, is mostly crystalline carbon.

Guys, I have a great idea for a lucrative space mission. I can't tell you much about it yet, just two words. Space Diamonds.

Miletius

Haha, I haven't owned a printer in 10 years maybe. But that accurately reflects my experience with inkjet ones. Is it still that bad?

Depends on which one you buy. If you purchase the $30 dollar HP printers then yeah, still that bad but if you pony up and get a more reliable one then they are pretty steady.

I haven't turned off my Brother Wireless Inkjet since I got it and it prints awesomely.

Spider web is silk.

yes, my bad, i meant: MAKE spider silk! (in my country the word for spidersilk is not often called silk but spiderwire... But we do call the stuff from silkworm silk).

I also read that They can let Silkworms make spidersilk now... scary mutants.

What is ironic is that the very second that we had reasonable access to the diamond planet you would see diamond prices drop to where you could get more money for acorns.

I wish women would stop wanting diamonds so that they would be worthless.

There's already an abundance of diamonds on earth. The price is kept high by a powerful international cartel that restricts supply.

EDIT: As others have been saying, give me the stem cells! I would quite like to still be 26yrs old in 2213.

From the website for this product:

"Some inaccuracies have come up which need clarification - if you have read this whole page you know the photos are mock-ups to show the concept, we have never told the media that these are photos of the real technology and in fact we've asked them to mark the photos as mock-ups or explain it on T.V.- but doing so doesn't sell the story, so most of the articles leave this key point out."

http://www.hyperstealth.com/Quantum-Stealth/index.html

My dad works with the guy behind the silk stuff at University of Wyoming. Won't say any more than that as it might be too revealing. Cool stuff though.

andthebeatgoeson

19. DIAMOND PLANET DISCOVERED

An exoplanet made entirely of diamonds was discovered this year by an international research team. Approximately five times the size of Earth, the small planet had mass similar to that of Jupiter. Scientists believe the short distance from its star coupled with the exoplanet’s mass means the planet, remnants of another star, is mostly crystalline carbon.

For immediate release:
Kanye West announces privatized space mission to unknown planet.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Depends on which one you buy. If you purchase the $30 dollar HP printers then yeah, still that bad but if you pony up and get a more reliable one then they are pretty steady.

Meh, not really. My current workplace has a bunch of HP and Canon printers worth thousands of dollars, and we still need to call technicians to repair them because of pages being constantly stuck, black marks all over the place, weird noises or other shit once in a while.

Crazyorloco

I'm still amazed by corrective tape wite out. I love science.

The 3D printing is amazing. The cloaking thing I have to see to believe. I find it odd they can't show not even a photo of it in action...If someone has a camera and shoots, they'll find out how to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom