• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 - Possibly Best Year for Gaming Ever ? (2001 fans eat your heart out)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let's just look at it for a moment.

- Dead Space
- Resident Evil 4
- Metroid Prime
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Yakuza Ishin
- New Zelda
- New Final Fantasy
- New Diablo
- New Street Fighter
- New Mortal Kombat
- New Tekken
- Baldurs Gate 3
- Bethesda's next single player RPG
- Spider Man 2

Other good games like Dead Island 2, Hi-Fi Rush, Octopath 2, Atomic Hearts, WWE 2k3

*AND* we don't even know what games are confirmed for Q4 '23 so far.

Has any other year had a line up of stacked games like this? That 2001 PS2 image is starting to look pretty thin by comparison now.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Bunch of remakes and games with refinement instead of innovation? Yeah, best gaming year ever.

Let's be fair, what was the last game in recent history that really innovated the medium? They're all refinements of existing formulas now

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bunch of remakes and games with refinement instead of innovation? Yeah, best gaming year ever.

The best year ever was mostly sequels. Only GTA3 and maybe DMC on this list offered the kind of genre defining innovation you are talking about. And those days of transitioning from 2d to 3d are long gone.

8h58i0acc6011.jpg

ebevan91

Seems like we say this every year but this year it might actually be true assuming all that stuff actually releases this year plus anything not announced yet or has release dates yet that's coming later this year.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The best year ever was mostly sequels. Only GTA3 and maybe DMC on this list offered the kind of genre defining innovation you are talking about. And those days of transitioning from 2d to 3d are long gone.

8h58i0acc6011.jpg

That's almost all sequels outside of DMC and Ico.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
yea im enjoying the content this year so far

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

8h58i0acc6011.jpg
Now that's what I call a proper lineup. There's only one game in here that was sorta lost to time but every other is up there among the best video games of all time. 2023 doesn't even come close.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep even 1998 was mostly sequels. It's just that a lot of those games like MGS and FF7 were transitioning to 3d and everyone was like omg. Unless, we find a new Fourth Dimension somehow, we will never have that experience again. best we can hope for is franchises like Souls and Zelda going full open world which they already have.

diffusionx

Gold Member
We had a zillion great games in 2000 and 1999 too, and then a zillion more in 2002. Whereas the reason 2023 has a strong lineup is because devs delayed their 2021/2022 games into this year and 2021/2022 sucked mostly.

I mean, in the 2000-2002 timeframe, going by your list, we got Code Veronica and REmake, Metroid Prime, multiple Zelda (Oracle/Wind Waker), multiple Final Fantasy (IX, X), Diablo 2, Tekken Tag, Baldurs Gate 2, and Morrowind.

Last edited:

The Stig

8h58i0acc6011.jpg
DAMN that is a killers row of games

Reactions: Dis

Madflavor

It's definitely shaping up to be ONE of the best years of gaming ever. That's IF the rest of the games coming out this year don't shit the fucking bed.

drotahorror

Definitely pretty nutty. I'm almost overwhelmed just messing with my backlog and I've missed a few games already this year. Then diablo 4 I put everything down. Just not enough time in the day.

Been saying it's the return of 2002 for a while.

So many bangers are dropping this year. Only thing holding it back would be if the ones left to release disappoint in a major way.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

- Dead Space
- Resident Evil 4
- Metroid Prime
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Yakuza Ishin
- New Zelda
- New Final Fantasy
- New Diablo
- New Street Fighter
- New Mortal Kombat
- New Tekken
- Baldurs Gate 3
- Spider Man 2

Other good games like Dead Island 2, Hi-Fi Rush, Octopath 2, Atomic Hearts, WWE 2k3

Has any other year had a line up of stacked games like this? That 2001 PS2 image is starting to look pretty thin by comparison now.

Dead Space Remake, RE4 Remake, Metroid Prime Remakestered, and Yakuza Ishin are all great games. None of them are new games. The most "new" out of them is RE4 Remake which did make large changes to the overall design. Dead Space not quite as much.

ToTK is amazing and given what I have played of Baldur's Gate 3 - that will also be amazing. But it won't be as good as Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Not by a long shot.

Dead Island 2, Octopath, Atomic Hearts, Hogwarts Legacy are all solidly in the Good category. We have no idea if FF16, Street Fighter, MK, Tekken, StarField, or Spiderman 2 will be good, great, or even trash.

Diablo IV looks to be solidly in the mediocre to bad category, given the betas.

This is a great year for gaming, but best year? Not a chance.

Gexxy1

1997-

Diablo
Final Fantasy VII
Mario Kart 64
Mega Man 8
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Tekken 3
Need for Speed 2
Blood
Harvest Moon
Final Fantasy Tactics
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye 007
Breath of Fire 3
Croc
Fallout
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
Age of Empires
Mortal Kombat 4
The Curse of Monkey Island
Crash Bandicoot 2
Tomb Raider 2
Diddy Kong Racing
Grand Theft Auto
Quake 2
Grandia
Gran Turismo

Imma go with a hard "no" OP.

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe I'm just a crotchety, jaded old man. But that line up just doesn't do much for me. Everything just feels like, "been there, done that." I will definitely be picking up several of those titles once they go through their initial price drops, others I'll wait till next year when they're around $20-ish. Despite the massive upgrades in graphics, the magic from 20 years ago has just faded.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you can’t find any game to enjoy this year then nothing else is gonna make you happy when it comes to gaming.

Mozzarella

It's definitely shaping up to be the year of the decade, but thats the best it will be.
2011 is better imo and far more influential.
2007 is more original
2004 has more quality per title
2000 is better
1998 is better
2010 is better
2002 is better

For me all those years are better.
2001 is one i dont really like, outside of Silent Hill 2 and Halo Combat Evolved and MAYBE MGS2 i dont see it being that good personally, i'd take many other years over it.

Last edited:

8h58i0acc6011.jpg
this year is better.

Dead Space, RE4, Diablo 4, Jedi: Survivor, Zelda, Street Fighter, FF16, Starfield, Spider-Man 2, and that's just whats announced. 2001 is overrated. 3 games on top are mid to bad. Ace Combat is just good, FFX is awful, Dark Alliance was also just ok.

Umbasaborne

Banned
this year is better.

Dead Space, RE4, Diablo 4, Jedi: Survivor, Zelda, Street Fighter, FF16, Starfield, Spider-Man 2, and that's just whats announced. 2001 is overrated. 3 games on top are mid to bad. Ace Combat is just good, FFX is awful, Dark Alliance was also just ok.
At least ffx and ace combat ran…which is more than i can say for jedi survivor

I had a single crash and a steady 60fps throughout my 25 hours with Jedi Survivor.
Even if it did run bad, it would still have been better than those. FF is my favourite series, been playing since the original launched on NES. X, XIII, and XV are all awful.

DavidGzz

This will be a great year. Next year could be as good or better. Silent Hill 2, Wolverine, Dragon's Dogma 2, GTA6, Ghost of Tshushima 2, Elden Ring 2(lol j/k), Bloodborne Remake+Bloodborne 2, Avowed, Fable, Hellblade 2, The Witcher 4, Resident Evil 9, etc.

Last edited:

CGNoire

- Dead Space
- Resident Evil 4
- Metroid Prime
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Yakuza Ishin
- New Zelda
- New Final Fantasy
- New Diablo
- New Street Fighter
- New Mortal Kombat
- New Tekken
- Baldurs Gate 3
- Spider Man 2

Where did you get 2001 from? Its 2004.

Last edited:

supersale88

Neo Member
I agree with OP, it is one of the best in recent memory. I love remakes and sequels so I'm more than happy. Fingers crossed that FFXVI and Starfield turn out to be great.

Going by the games released so far, 2020 and 2022 were better years. Although if we're talking exclusively big AAA games then maybe not(I don't play much AAA games).

2020 is slept on a lot, masterpieces like like Streets of Rage 4, DOOM Eternal, Hades and Ghostrunner released then.

2023 might outdo it with releases like FF16, Street Fighter 6, Granblue Fantasy Relink and Ghostrunner 2 however.

Last edited:
Top Bottom