• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 is shaping up to be a monster year for gaming

Which are you most hyped for?

• God of War Ragnarok

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • Zelda Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Starfield

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gran Turismo 7

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernoby

• Forspoken

• Baldur's Gate 3

• Total voters

SinDelta

Assuming there are no further delays or unforeseen setbacks of course. I am pretty excited what about you Gaf?

Potentially-

Zelda Breath of the Wild 2
Elden Ring
Starfield
God of War Ragnarok

We could actually have these 4 battling for GOTY.

Not even mentioning other titles like-
Pokémon Legends: Arceus (I know, but you never know)
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Hogwarts Legacy (Been waiting for a game like this since the books were releasing. Too long.)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl
Gran turismo 7

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Comedy Central Blake Henderson GIF by Workaholics

Mozzarella

Yeah obviously, at the price of 2021 being one of the worst years.
2014 was bad then came 2015 and 2017.
It is always like this.
2022 is going to be stacked.
Go Elden Ring!! Starfield is the only threat imo. God of War is going to get recognition but not win overall, its not long time ago that God of War won, Zelda same, it looks very similar and doesnt take risks based on what i saw and they gave Zelda awards. Starfield looks like something new and groundbreaking and some media outlets should award Xbox its about time, but it should launch in a great shape, its the only threat to Elden Ring.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
2014 was bad then came 2015 and 2017.
It is always like this.
2022 is going to be stacked.
Go Elden Ring!! Starfield is the only threat imo. God of War is going to get recognition but not win overall, its not long time ago that God of War won, Zelda same, it looks very similar and doesnt take risks based on what i saw and they gave Zelda awards. Starfield looks like something new and groundbreaking and some media outlets should award Xbox its about time, but it should launch in a great shape, its the only threat to Elden Ring.

Always! Which is why I'm not stressing 2021. I need to catch up on some games anyway.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think it will be a good year but I think a lot of games will get pushed back.

I’m really looking forward to the few bangers that we will get, but I suspect 2023/24 will be when a lot of games that have been in the pipeline will get released (if vaccines keep their effectiveness and devs can get back to the studios).

MiguelItUp

Yeah, I think everyone wanted 2021 to be more than it was going to be, understandably so. But the reality behind it all is that it just wasn't possible to be that. I know people are annoyed at COVID being the reasoning and some may even assume it's an excuse. But the thing is, devs and pubs that house 100+ people that are used to working in the same area are forced to work remotely. Miscommunication issues exist, changes to workflows, etc. It's gonna throw a number of wrenches. Then of course the really big projects with gigantic marketing pushes are going to be delayed in an attempt to fulfill their original plans. There's all kinds of issues.

I forgot with everything mentioned about Hogwart's Legacy is also coming out in 2022. Or expected to.

Man, with all the BIG game releases expected to drop next year it really is beginning to look like the largest year for games in awhile. Assuming they won't be delayed of course.

Last edited:

blacktout

Not even mentioning other titles like-
Pokémon Legends: Arceus (I know, but you never know)
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Hogwarts Legacy (Been waiting for a game like this since the books were releasing. Too long.)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl
Gran turismo 7
Splatoon 3 too. And a undoubtedly a bunch of games that haven't been announced, particularly on the Nintendo side. (Nearly all of their 2021 games were announced this year.)

Could be 2017 all over again with Nintendo, Sony, and multiple third parties releasing huge games, but with the added bonus of a re-energized Microsoft. Wild shit.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Worst is a bit of an over-exaggeration. There's plenty of great games that have come out or will come out as long as you don't only EXCLUSIVELY play on a single system. But even then, there's plenty of great titles across all platforms regardless. If you only want to play AAA third person open world games, sure you may be disappointed, but there are some bangers coming from the indie world all the time and constantly bad ass games released almost monthly on PC.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
November-11-11-22.jpg

Exactly 11 years after Skyrim. You don't show this date as a placeholder.

Absolutely agree. This game has been in the works for a long time. This was a carefully chosen release date that was likely decided upon years ago.

BTW, I'm not expecting Starfield to change the formula much from previous Bethesda games, Todd Howard has already stated it's very similar to their previous games, but with more in-depth role-playing systems. He said the RPG mechanics are more akin to Morrowind, but the gameplay will be similar to Skyrim and Fallout where you're exploring large areas.

All of this sounds absolutely perfect to me. I'm not a fan of "massive" games and large worlds. Most games of this variety lack detail and artistry. I prefer a hand-crafted experience, with a bevy of detail packed into a moderately size world. I love going over Bethesda's worlds and finding every lovingly crafter detail they pack into their worlds. Atmosphere and world exploration is what makes a Bethesda game IMO. Which is exactly what Starfield is shaping up to be (from the few details we have heard so far).

What I really expect to see are several medium sized open worlds (maybe 4 or 5) that can be travelled to via a space craft and a loading screen. This sounds a lot the Outer Worlds, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I just hope they put more detail into these areas then Obsidian does.

Mozzarella

Worst is a bit of an over-exaggeration. There's plenty of great games that have come out or will come out as long as you don't only EXCLUSIVELY play on a single system. But even then, there's plenty of great titles across all platforms regardless. If you only want to play AAA third person open world games, sure you may be disappointed, but there are some bangers coming from the indie world all the time and constantly bad ass games released almost monthly on PC.
What games are coming that you think are worth playing? I'm gonna check them out. So far this year the only good game i played was Resident Evil Village. All other good games were either remaster or a new port or some sort of that thing, a brand new game in 2021 i dont know anything else. Hitman 3 was released earlier in Januray but i haven't played it yet, so this may be the 2nd good game. However in other years by the time of June we would have at least 5 high quality games, take 2019 for example.

luffie

Lol, Starfield is never going ro be a threat to Elden Ring, especially if it plays like Skyrim.

Judging by what is going to be released in 2022 tho, I have to agree it's going to be a great year... as long as the systems/components are not being scalped or bought for mining....

Yoboman

Lots of games starting to look like a lock on for 2022, there could be delays but seems like devs are now putting a year to these games

We might get a 4 way run off for GOTY with BOTW2, God of War 2, Elden Ring and Starfield. All devs who have delivered GOTYs in the past decade. Which if they all deliver will be one of the most competitive fields I can recall

Rockstar might also throw their hat in the ring - 4 years since RDR2 should mean we get their next game in 22 or 23

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Out of those four, God of War Ragnarok even though im expecting it to slip to 2023. Starfield second. The other two are non-existent for me.

anthony2690

Banned
Elden ring easily, we've actually seen more than a few seconds gameplay for it.
And its out quite soon, all the more reason to be hyped :)

Yoboman

Personally GOW for me. I'm all in on Cory vision and hope it continues to take big innovations for the series. Hard to say much without having seen the game though

Elden Ring could sneak under it though for GOTY honours. Its starting to seem like every game From has made has led to this, kind of a magnum opus

BOTW2 will be great but the setting retread does bother me, I hope it feels more than a giant expansion pack.

Starfield has a lot to prove still, mentioning it in the same breath as the former 3 might be a bit ambitious, they kind of need to swing ahead of the rest of the competition as far as open worlds and narratives are concerned to get back to the Oblivion and Skyrim days of success

elliot5

Everything 2022 from the Xbox showcase + Motorsport, God of War (fingers crossed), maybe even Horizon Forbidden West at this point, Starfield... Redfall... yeah it's gonna be a stacked year.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What are you going to game on until than? Might have to replay Breath of the Wild 1, Divine beasts are awesome but not traditional dungeons. I get why shrines are awesome.

yurinka

My most hyped game is GoWR. Let's hope Cory doesn't kill Kratos in the intro and replaces him as main character by his trans son and his black lesbian girlfriend.

And not oficially announced, but Street Fighter 6 is planned for Q4 2022 according to the Capcom schedule leaked by hackers. I think pretty likely has or will be delayed to at least Q1 2023 due to covid -or due to the typical gamedev delay-, but we may see it released 2022.

Insomniac releases a game every year and maybe their next game is Spider-Man 2.

I think 2022 can be one of the best games ever, yes.

I know Hellblade 2 doesn't have a release date yet, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't come out next year as well.
Ninja Theory said a few months ago that they are in early stages of development, it won't release in 2022. They are years away from releasing it.

Cyberpunk expansions as well
I also look forward to get in 2022 Cyberpunk properly fixed and the next gen console versions.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
That's a really tough choice. I've been playing BotW in master mode and replaying GoW and they are both stellar. I'm hyped for both sequels. I love all the from souls games so I'll definitely be on Elden Ring day 1.

I usually wait for Bethesda titles and since we haven't actually seen much, in not really hyped at all. Would potentially wait for a GotY edition with dlc or something like that if it's good.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I have found all years have been excellent for me. From indies to AA to AAA titles, I have always found 2-3 great games each month to play. The trick is not sticking to any one platform and playing on them all.

Though next year is looking quite fantastic from what we know so far. Most excited for Elden Ring, personally :D

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I didn't even know they were remaking Diamond and Pearl again, but I'm happy they are. Probably two of my favourite mainline Pokémon games of all time. Now I'm looking forward to that, Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring, and GoW: Ragnarok. That should see me through 2022.

Top Bottom